Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

why isn't this a thing though?

A videogame takes effort. Now, there have been good videogames attached to franchises (Arkham games, DC injustice) but it takes a lot of money and monumental effort.

Making a fighting game that is also good is a huge task on top of that. It's a big enough niche that has a lot of loud people making GBS threads on all efforts and writing huge reddit posts about why the game is poo poo, etc etc.

On top of all this, Nick still holds the IP and making a game that's not rated E or T is probably against their guidelines - and a fighting game is probably not going to rate that.

There was actually a Korra game made by Platinum of Bayonetta fame, but it was mediocre and was silently removed from steam and other online markets by Activision 3 years later (license ran out probably).

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MaleInfamousAnhinga-mobile.mp4

tl;dr: nick sucks and won't make a game over T rating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't see why an Avatar fighting game has to be above T. Hell, FighterZ is T rated.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ozai wasn't personally responsible for genociding the Air Nomads, but he was trying to literally burn down the entire Earth Nation. I wonder if the signs of that are still around in Korra's time.

Musluk posted:

There was actually a Korra game made by Platinum of Bayonetta fame, but it was mediocre and was silently removed from steam and other online markets by Activision 3 years later (license ran out probably).

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MaleInfamousAnhinga-mobile.mp4

Weird that they would take that down but also do a rerelease of that one Spongebob game.

There was one Avatar game that I really liked that had the whole plot of a non-bender trying to use robots to overthrow Benders' control over the world. It also came up with the idea that the air nomads had little villages of air-aligned nonbenders living around their temples.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Ozai wasn't personally responsible for genociding the Air Nomads, but he was trying to literally burn down the entire Earth Nation. I wonder if the signs of that are still around in Korra's time.

IIRC, some theories go that it explains a fair few things in Korra how the Earth Kingdom outside of Ba Sing Se has stagnated/regressed to Wild West levels and has sufficient amounts of disgruntled peasants for not-Mao to get a foothold. Though in the original show, it seems like the 'burn literally the entire country to the ground' plan never actually got past some seemingly uninhabited forest and Utah-esque rock spires.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, some theories go that it explains a fair few things in Korra how the Earth Kingdom outside of Ba Sing Se has stagnated/regressed to Wild West levels and has sufficient amounts of disgruntled peasants for not-Mao to get a foothold. Though in the original show, it seems like the 'burn literally the entire country to the ground' plan never actually got past some seemingly uninhabited forest and Utah-esque rock spires.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember it was Ozai's grandfather that did the genocide, at the point of the series the damage is long done. (then again, there's the slow genocide of the Southern Tribe Waterbenders and their whole style that went with it, arguably as bad)
Ozai was going to burn the whole loving world though.

I accidentally put my response inside my quote last night oops.

And his attempted burninatin' gets the same pass as Sokka's sword only ever cutting the tips off of spears. We know what they are both meant to be doing.

(Sokka grows up to be a mohel)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The secret about that Korra game, is that it's a lot more fun on the replay with all the bending styles unlocked.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Plenty of fighting games are rated E or T. Super Smash Bros is the big one that comes to mind. Not every fighting game needs to have blood or Fatalities

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The not-official RPG, Legend of the Elements, is pretty good. Definitely on the higher end of AW-likes. Did a short campaign of it earlier in the summer and it was smooth as butter.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like that's more of a S&P thing. Can't have the main characters just kill the bad guys on a kids' show in 2008.

Tell that to Sparky-Boom-Boom-Man

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Asgerd posted:

Batman already showed us that S&P has loopholes you can drive a truck through.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Asgerd posted:

More like P'li. :stare:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Did team avatar kill combustion man? It was very unclear.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He blew himself up by trying to combustionbend while his chi was blocked. He died but no-one consciously made the decision to kill him

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The guy they put the helmet on in korra was absolutely killed though

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I was making an Ember Island Players reference.

Also, do you mean combustion lady who Su wrapped her armor around? Funny part about that is they never say she died.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I got your joke, friend. Ember Island was as good as the finale was bad.

If it weren't for Tales of Ba Sing Se being a special untouchable thing, it might even be the best episode of the show.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's such a weird thing how Mako ended up doing the VA for his own eulogy.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Batman already showed us that S&P has loopholes you can drive a truck through.

It really depends on the network. If they have a show's back, the show can push a lot more boundaries, but if they don't, they'll just be another hurdle.

Nickelodeon isn't really known for having shows' backs.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The guy they put the helmet on in korra was absolutely killed though

This literally didn't air on TV.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

SlothfulCobra posted:

This literally didn't air on TV.

Oh yeah, the latter episodes of season 3 were online only, at least for the US. Completely forgot about that whole thing.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

grassy gnoll posted:

I figured Sokka was too weird/hung up on the moon to ever settle down, but was entirely content to be the Fun Uncle.

Nah, Sokka was over the moon in every sense of the term once he got the chance to get Suki in his tent.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Just finished my Korra binge, they never outright say the Earth Queen is killed either. She is just shown passing out after the air is pulled out of her lungs and her head is surrounded by a bubble of vacuum. She was 'brought down' and her reign was 'cut short'

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finally got around to starting my Avatar rewatch, and it's interesting how there's a running theme of Zuko being fantastically skilled at fighting without bending. Like right at the start, he aces Sokka without a single cinder, and then later he defeats Zhao with physically breakdancing and tripping him up instead of firebending, and fights his way through a fortress with nothing but his swords.

Also there's a whole thing where the show is technically visually drab, because it reserves most color for element-coding, with lots of neutral or earthy tones in between to keep focus on the elemental coding, so there's relatively little range of hues ant tints in general. It makes up for that by being metaphorically colorful in every other way, lots of visual details in the linework, motion, complex music and sound design filled with instruments, from exotic drums to the mouth harp.

And since they've got such a small range of color, that leaves plenty of room for color-shifting the whole scene to show mood, weather, and lighting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sokka's Master has a brief but very telling bit where he says one of his best students was Zuko, and presumably he got the full curriculum and not the accelerated course that Sokka got.

Also a bit of a theme that Zuko's Firebending style is fairly basic, but his fundamentals are rock solid- even if he has to relearn from Firebending kindergarten after finally joining the Gaang.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You'll also notice that when he first fights Azula, she in turn trounces him without firebending. She tries to shoot lightning that Iroh redirects but only after he's already down.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

SolarFire2 posted:

Nah, Sokka was over the moon in every sense of the term once he got the chance to get Suki in his tent.

That was one of the all-time great S&P subversions and I'm still a little surprised they got away with it even after all this time.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Super Waffle posted:

Just finished my Korra binge, they never outright say the Earth Queen is killed either. She is just shown passing out after the air is pulled out of her lungs and her head is surrounded by a bubble of vacuum. She was 'brought down' and her reign was 'cut short'

I think that was actually explained as the team following S&P guidelines to the letter. The Earth Queen is murdered on-screen (well, almost, they cut away like a second before she's certifiably dead) but per S&P rules, they can't say she was killed, so they have to use "taken out" or whatever rather than killed or assassinated. It's hilariously stupid and specific that showing a murder is A-OK for a TV-Y7 rated cartoon, but also calling it a murder isn't.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never realized how Katara really wasn't much good for any fights until she put her all into fighting Pakku. Makes it seem much more reasonable that Sokka got much less important later on. Katara pulls a lot more weight after she masters bending.

The Ocean spirit made manifest is one of my favorite designs of the series, just an angry god of the deep that all who rely on him immediately bow down to. It's like one of those biblical plagues.

The series is filled with amazing fights. The Earth Kingdom army trying to force Aang into the avatar state is such an amazing thing with dodging around and through those giant coins.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Katara eventually gets the best fight in the series, when they take down Azula.

Sokka, meanwhile, drops his cool sword and nearly falls to his death a couple of times. It's a bit of a rough comparison.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, but Sokka is the plan guy. And the joke guy. You need those guys.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, by the end of the series, Sokka isn't really about direct combat, even though he had his own episode about training to be better. He became the plan guy to be better at fighting, and that's what stuck, just like how Katara started fighting to be better at bending.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Sokka also did more material damage to Ozai's forces than any other character who wasn't already in the White Lotus with his airship slice stunt, so that's nothing to sniff at.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RIP space sword and boomerang

But yeah, Sokka's big strength throughout the series was always his brains, using quick thinking, a knack for engineering and improvisation. He's basically Batman. (In particular, Batman as the Justice League's brains and black ops guy)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

RIP space sword and boomerang

But yeah, Sokka's big strength throughout the series was always his brains, using quick thinking, a knack for engineering and improvisation. He's basically Batman. (In particular, Batman as the Justice League's brains and black ops guy)

Also in particular, Adam West's Batman

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

And he didn't need bending to improve his physique - pure Water Tribe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Give Sokka a decade or two a sidekick and he'd be unstoppable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Rewatch chat: I think season two episode nine might be my favourite. It gives us a ton of bending lore for the first time, that would go on to spawn a thousand dumb online personality quizzes, it has lots of extremely good Zuko and Iroh moments (both "aww" and "HONOURRRRR" varieties), and Sokka does what he does best the whole episode while stuck in a hole playing with a cat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Season 2 episode 2 gives the origin of earthbending in between Dee Bradley Baker singing a bunch of fun goofy songs instead of making animal noises, and it's fantastic.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

grassy gnoll posted:

And he didn't need bending to improve his physique - pure Water Tribe.

:golfclap:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Season 2 episode 2 gives the origin of earthbending in between Dee Bradley Baker singing a bunch of fun goofy songs instead of making animal noises, and it's fantastic.

SEEEECRET TUUUUUUNELLLLL

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Watched through for the first time last month, and while people like to pick on The Great Divide or The Fortune-Teller or The Headband as the worst episodes, my vote there is actually for The Northern Air Temple, because its message about how "actually desecration of genocided indigenous people's sacred sites is okay because :science:" is loving abhorrent, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
TIL Aubrey Plaza doesn't even remember being on Legend of Korra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7HtWi8JZ2Q&t=82s