Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Jiro posted:

:stare: Jesus he continued a fight against Tyson in his prime with a broken loving jaw????

For nine more rounds. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KingShiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFpYU43QU4c

Yeah, a guy that can throw a smash from any angle is loving scary.
:stonk: I know that boxing can get crazy/scary, but I obviously didn't have any idea.

Or, don't pardon my french at all, whatsoever, and--

Somberbrero posted:

For nine more rounds. What. The. gently caress.
FTFY.

No words.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KingShiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFpYU43QU4c

Yeah, a guy that can throw a smash from any angle is loving scary.

It's really amazing how hard these heavy-weight guys hit. I'm pretty sure one of those punches would literally break my neck.

bonus hole boy posted:

Arturo Gatti broke the poo poo out of his right hand on Mickey Ward's hip and continued to throw punches with it for six more rounds (and win)

as stylized as the fights are depicted in Ippo, the actual content is at least a little grounded in reality.

The thing about "fight sports" is that they're obviously pretty unethical (for similar reasons to the NFL), but there's still something uniquely compelling to them in the sense that it's two people competing not just in terms of skill, but also withstanding pain. It's a very "raw" competition between two individuals.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1310

We finally meet Martinez's opponent. I don't see great things for him but at least the story is giving him a modicum of respect. Good luck Billy.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Is Martinez a bit like Saitama, bored and jaded by having no competition at his level? He even got to keep his hair, lucky fellow.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Huzzah! posted:

Is Martinez a bit like Saitama, bored and jaded by having no competition at his level? He even got to keep his hair, lucky fellow.
Remember that the closest Martinez got in a fight that did "something" for him, he got this close to killing Date. That was like 6 years ago in-universe. And Date was only able to land a few solid hits here and there while still ending with both a broken jaw and right hand. Also remember that Ricardo has been defending his title here and there for at least 12 loving years. The Caped Baldy is absolutely a superhero-version of our buddy Huītzilōpōchtli here.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 20, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Huzzah! posted:

Martinez : * fights Date for like eight rounds, breaking Date's hand and forcing Date to retire, while never being in trouble and never getting hit clean

Martinez : that was the toughest match i ever had you should be proud samurai spirit woop woop

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Little late but of course in 1209 the lesson Ippo takes is 'sendo sure is good at being punched in the face, if only I was better at being punched in the face'

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
fwiw in universe its pretty explicitly said that alf took ricardo further than date did.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It would make for incredibly boring panels, but I wonder if Morikawa would ever throw a fictionalized Floyd Mayweather Jr. into the manga.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It would make for incredibly boring panels, but I wonder if Morikawa would ever throw a fictionalized Floyd Mayweather Jr. into the manga.

I mean he had one guy wholes gimmick just be clinches and that worked to the point he got the Japanese belt.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Asuron posted:

I mean he had one guy wholes gimmick just be clinches and that worked to the point he got the Japanese belt.

Also regularly beats women.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Makunouchi Ippo Birth Date: November 23, 1973

Floyd Joy Sinclair Mayweather Jr. Born February 24, 1977 (age 43)

I think the manga is currently in like 2000, right? Maybe 2001? Mayweather vs Corrales was 2001. Great fight, btw.

ccubed fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 21, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I once had a number of goons explain to me that what Mayweather does is extremely good boxing and that he's on another loving level as far as technique goes but I've always found the fights I've saw of his... underwhelming as gently caress, to put it in the most polite terms I can think of.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Wark Say posted:

I once had a number of goons explain to me that what Mayweather does is extremely good boxing and that he's on another loving level as far as technique goes but I've always found the fights I've saw of his... underwhelming as gently caress, to put it in the most polite terms I can think of.

this is entirely correct as a (relatively casual) boxing fan. i find them boring too

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tbp posted:

this is entirely correct as a (relatively casual) boxing fan. i find them boring too

Same.

He's amazing but boring to watch because he just slowly grinds everyone down. There's never a big moment or anything.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Watch rounds 7 and 10 of the Mayweather vs Corrales fight I linked above. Tell me those are boring rounds. Also, that's a perfect fight for the Ippo thread because of how it ends.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Wark Say posted:

The way it's been explained to me, the reason Mayweather is so terrifying is that he's successful with the approach he takes. Other boxers have attempted a similar style and it just doesn't work. Mayweather's style can succeed so long as his body holds up, and that style works well in preserving his body.

Of course, I could be talking out of my rear end.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Wark Say posted:

The way I see it, what he does is equal parts an exploit of the "no punching the other guy in the back" rule, exceptional defense made easier by the decreased attack surface, and incredible hand speed to capitalize on openings caused by opponents ineffectively trying to break through to steadily rack up points with impunity, critical opponent selection to never match up against anyone with the ability to actually crack him open.

In short he's boring AF to watch because his opponents never stood a chance to begin with, it's just a money-making enterprise for him, not for fame, recognition, or glory.

ccubed posted:

Watch rounds 7 and 10 of the Mayweather vs Corrales fight I linked above. Tell me those are boring rounds. Also, that's a perfect fight for the Ippo thread because of how it ends.

That was before he started rolling his left shoulder way over, and lowering his left guard.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 21, 2020

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The way it's been explained to me, the reason Mayweather is so terrifying is that he's successful with the approach he takes. Other boxers have attempted a similar style and it just doesn't work. Mayweather's style can succeed so long as his body holds up, and that style works well in preserving his body.

Of course, I could be talking out of my rear end.

That's part of it, but he also carefully chose his opponents. He never faced up against anyone who had the ability to crack the defense because he deliberately avoided anyone who could.

I don't think anyone questions his skill, but it certainly taints his no loss record and that's how his legacy will always be viewed, as someone who never really challenged themselves in order to make the most money possible. Not his fault the system facilitates and encourages doing that, but it's definitely disappointing to not see the best boxing matches possible.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ccubed posted:

They were certainly more entertaining than most of the fights of his I saw, I'll give you that! Especially round 7.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I used to watch LOTS of MMA and some boxing years ago and frequented a good few sites and blogs namely Bad Left Hook(boxing) and Bloodyelbow(MMA) so while not perfect I can answer a few bits here. Yes, Floyd IS the best loving of the last ten or so years and in terms of expert critique that is to say, people who follow the sport it's not really competitive. Important distinction, best/greatest does NOT mean most entertaining.

Floyd's main strength is having SOLID boxing fundamentals with an immaculate defense and roughly average punch strength do to brittle hands that yes he has broken before which is actually not uncommon. He USED to have a much more "entertaining" style when younger along with a more "face" persona. It's quite noticeable that when he went "heel" and changed his nickname from Pretty Boy to Money that he started having SIGNIFICANTLY more financial success. With regards to who he's fought and who he didn't it becomes a complicated question since at the end of his career, he basically DID fight every major contender his division had to offer. Perhaps not at their highest moments and prime, but not necessarily with them being shot or otherwise hasbeens and other opponent's such as Paul Williams wouldn't have made sense due to different weight classes and the fight not doing anything for either man except one big payday. Paul wins, he beat a puffed up Floyd who was out of his comfort weight class and a loss decimates his value. A win would be AMAZING for Floyd, but it would require fighting one of the HARDEST punches in the sport as a whole not just that weight class so even a win would require taking tremendous punishment. There's way more stuff to add particularly about his later years(ie the last 10 years) and why some people loved the changes, but that's another paragraph.

Edit: Floyd definently picked his fights carefully, but that's EVERYONE in the sport. You gotta remember, while it is a sport it's also a business. One in which you only have so much time to maximize your earnings and prestige so you gotta balance that poo poo correctly.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 21, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Asuron posted:

Wasn't one of Ippo's early fights against a clincher, and the only reason he didn't win is because he was already wrecking Ippo's poo poo so hard that he got greedy and started trying for a KO instead of waiting for the decision and got caught with a patented HnI 1HKO?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Wasn't one of Ippo's early fights against a clincher, and the only reason he didn't win is because he was already wrecking Ippo's poo poo so hard that he got greedy and started trying for a KO instead of waiting for the decision and got caught with a patented HnI 1HKO?

Same guy.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

kobashis return to the manga also gave us one of modern HnI's most confusing scenes, Hayami's newest arc. are we supposed to find him inspiring? tragic? both? what is ippo supposed to think seeing him? are we supposed to think kobashi's retirement was the easy way out, like ippo's? or did kobashi have an out that ippo didnt, and hayami didn't recognize he too had that same out?

mori's writing this arc (which has been ongoing for like loving 8 years or whatever) is admittedly confusing

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's not that Mayweather is never exciting, it's just that typically he is.

Watching someone like Zab Judah or Ricky Hatton even in comparison was usually gonna be more fun each time.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I like watching Mayweather effortlessly avoid everything the opponent throws at him while landing little shots of his own.

tbp posted:

kobashis return to the manga also gave us one of modern HnI's most confusing scenes, Hayami's newest arc. are we supposed to find him inspiring? tragic? both? what is ippo supposed to think seeing him? are we supposed to think kobashi's retirement was the easy way out, like ippo's? or did kobashi have an out that ippo didnt, and hayami didn't recognize he too had that same out?

mori's writing this arc (which has been ongoing for like loving 8 years or whatever) is admittedly confusing

I think we're supposed to find Hayami tragic. Ippo...actually ends up thinking that he never thought of being a second as a side character. But I think we're also supposed to see that his resolve in his retirement is firm. He's already accepted the idea of not being a star or disappointing people who believed in him.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Boxing is the art of hitting without getting hit, and if we go by that logic, Floyd Mayweather is one of the best to ever do it. I don't know that there's a direct HnI analogue to Mayweather's style, but I'm guessing it'd be something like Itagaki's ability to never get hit combined with Miyata's supreme technical skill and ability to read his opponent. Floyd could absolutely knock people out if his gameplan called for it and had an extremely high KO rate in his early/mid career before he started breaking his hands constantly.

I think that bar where Takamura beat the poo poo out of Date/Mashiba/Sendo/Saeki(?) at the same time was called Mayweather's. One of the random bars or restaurants was called Mayweather's at least.

Anyways HnI gory slugfests and glorification of boxing as a pure, untarnished field of competition solely for competition's sake is more or less completely rooted in fiction and you can't realistically expect any given boxing fight to be like in the animes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ehhhhh, I'd put Amir Khan out there are the closest Itagaki analogue. Dude still gets hit, he's not completely untouchable like Itagaki, but he's sure got the handspeed to match.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

canoshiz posted:

Boxing is the art of hitting without getting hit, and if we go by that logic, Floyd Mayweather is one of the best to ever do it. I don't know that there's a direct HnI analogue to Mayweather's style, but I'm guessing it'd be something like Itagaki's ability to never get hit combined with Miyata's supreme technical skill and ability to read his opponent. Floyd could absolutely knock people out if his gameplan called for it and had an extremely high KO rate in his early/mid career before he started breaking his hands constantly.
be like in the animes.

Actually I was getting slight Woli vibes from watching that fight with Corrales posted earlier. Obviously nothing so ridiculously extreme as bouncing around on the ropes, but his whole thing seemed to be to duck in, pop them once, then immediately fly away before they could hit him back. I don't and have never followed boxing, but going by the announcers Corrales was a pretty dangerous opponent at the time and Mayweather completely clowns him seemingly effortlessly (I know he was just making it look easy, but still).

Also from the announcers, Corrales was kind of a dick who was known to throw dirty punches/elbows, went to jail for a year for beating his girlfriend then died in a motorcycle crash. Getting heavy Sawamura vibes from that one.

e:
Also, holy poo poo, Youtube's auto subtitles :xd: I had to google around a bit to remember Sawamura's name, and as per usual I ended up falling down a rabbit hole of Youtube supercuts of fights from the anime. The one I found didn't have English subs, so for a laugh I tried the auto option, and goddamn:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 23, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
A wise man once said that boxing is about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. =P

To that end, the end of Andy Lee vs. John Jackson:

https://gfycat.com/lateforthrightdutchsmoushond

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SwissArmyDruid posted:

A wise man once said that boxing is about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. =P

To that end, the end of Andy Lee vs. John Jackson:

https://gfycat.com/lateforthrightdutchsmoushond

I mean that gif kind of proves the point. I can't see everything from the angles, Led is doing a good job minimizing damage to himself while he lands some good sneak shots that tag Johnson square on the chin. He's getting tagged, but I'm not familiar with either enough to know if Johnson has the gas to put a guy down like that. Some of his punches are landing, but I can't quite see how flush they're landing. Sometimes it's not the amount of punches, but just a handful landing in the right spot closing the show.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1311

All the Mayweather talk was more prescient than we realized.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I stand by what I loving said, and I'm not being proven wrong. Eleven pages of staring at eachother.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BUT THE PRESSURE IS INCREDIBLE ITS OUT OF THIS WORLD I CAN HARDLY CATCH MY BREATH :bigdog: :livintrope:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Eleven pages of staring and "it's true black boxers have bodies fit for that style."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nilbop posted:

Eleven pages of staring and "it's true black boxers have bodies fit for that style."

I'm impressed he got Michigan and Pennsylvania in the right place

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i might be misrembering how the fight went but shouldnt Sendo be a little bit more hosed up right now than how he looks? hes got a couple face bandages and he's just casually watching the match

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

mabels big day posted:

i might be misrembering how the fight went but shouldnt Sendo be a little bit more hosed up right now than how he looks? hes got a couple face bandages and he's just casually watching the match

he absolutely should be on deaths door rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1312
Ricardo briefly considers stealing a move from Ippo's playbook, getting punched in the face