Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Having more random poo poo happen is nice. I'm convinced rockstar is in the process of setting a sweet spot for number of players per lobby to random encounters/spawn rates.

I've also been getting way less error code disconnects since server populations dropped so I think it's very much the case that the more players, animal spawns and random events in a server the less stable it's going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

I would just grind challenges and stranger missions until you get the bounty hunter role. Also don't forget every five levels you get a treasure map. I think that's the only way to earn gold.

Has the Bounty Hunting gotten more lucrative? When I'd last played it was still a bit tough to make money with that one.

Good reminder on the Treasure Maps! Forgot about those...

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Bounty Hunting pays poo poo all but it's one of the few sources of gold in the game until you get your daily streak up.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

GeorgieMordor posted:

Has the Bounty Hunting gotten more lucrative? When I'd last played it was still a bit tough to make money with that one.

Good reminder on the Treasure Maps! Forgot about those...

Legendary Bounties are good money, but also if you are solo resource intensive, and can get hairy at higher difficulty levels

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Legendary Bounties are good money, but also if you are solo resource intensive, and can get hairy at higher difficulty levels

They're also virtually the only content in RDO that feels legitimately challenging. I've done all content solo and enjoyed the legendary bounties the most by far.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

fennesz posted:

They're also virtually the only content in RDO that feels legitimately challenging. I've done all content solo and enjoyed the legendary bounties the most by far.

Agreed absolutely

The train one in particular is a blast

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I still maintain the sniper needs to be a quest giver instead of a bounty.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Getting way too many empty lobbies for this game to be playable

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Agreed absolutely

The train one in particular is a blast

Yep, Red Ben Clemson. I think that and the first bounty (the Mexican gal hiding out in Gaptooth Breech) are my favorite, mostly just because they have really strong original RDR vibes to me.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Bounty Hunting pays poo poo all but it's one of the few sources of gold in the game until you get your daily streak up.

I think people would be better off doing trading first to get actual money

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

hakimashou posted:

I think people would be better off doing trading first to get actual money

Yeah, or collector, I agree. Any gold is technically better than none if that's your only goal but you're going to get most of it focusing on your dailies either way.

Also just happened to watch The Quick And The Dead for the first time and duelist role when???

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I honestly feel that with the latest updates (and now working patches) that RDO feels more like a living, breathing world than GTA Online ever did for me. There's a bunch to do, random occurrences, animal attacks, and gang ambushes make things feel interesting, and dangerous

At the same time, RDO'S slower pace makes me appreciate the beauty of the world more, and it's honestly a lot harder for a douchbag to ruin your day than in GTA where their dumb hoverbike is on you in seconds. I think Rockstar is definitely getting close to something special with RDO right now, and if we get some more fun trades and some property going (also, please give us something like bank heists and train robberies, maybe even a steamboat one), they will have something really special. My greatest wish is that at some point Mexico gets added back in, but I think that's a pipedream

Also I recently started doing the trader stuff: somebody compared it to an Age of Empires villager and I agree; do I ever do anything else besides gather goods and deliver goods?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 6, 2020

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Gonna be so sad when Rockstar fixes the server population and I wind up in servers with more than 3 other people again. I absolutely love it as it is. I've encountered animals and random encounters and stuff I'd never even seen before.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

TulliusCicero posted:

I honestly feel that with the latest updates (and now working patches) that RDO feels more like a living, breathing world than GTA Online ever did for me. There's a bunch to do, random occurrences, animal attacks, and gang ambushes make things feel interesting, and dangerous

At the same time, RDO'S slower pace makes me appreciate the beauty of the world more, and it's honestly a lot harder for a douchbag to ruin your day than in GTA where their dumb hoverbike is on you in seconds. I think Rockstar is definitely getting close to something special with RDO right now, and if we get some more fun trades and some property going (also, please give us something like bank heists and train robberies, maybe even a steamboat one), they will have something really special. My greatest wish is that at some point Mexico gets added back in, but I think that's a pipedream

Also I recently started doing the trader stuff: somebody compared it to an Age of Empires villager and I agree; do I ever do anything else besides gather goods and deliver goods?

Hunting, delivery, and resupply missions is all there is to it. Once you pick up the Naturalist role and unlock the legendary missions it's possible to forgo sampling in the mission or selling the pelt or carcass if you kill and skin the animal in the mission and instead donate it to Cripps. Doing that will fill your materials bar quickly. Hunting with the storage wagon unlocked also helps because it stores a finite number of carcasses (like five deer) and I think an unlimited number of flat pelts. So even if you fill the wagon and log off your stuff will still be in the wagon for next time. Also, every 25 goods Cripps made will then require a resupply ($20 or doing a resupply mission). It takes a real life hour for him to make 25 goods. So a full delivery wagon (100 goods) takes four hours. I read that if you want to level quickly you can make deliveries with only 1/100 goods and get the same amount of xp as you would with a full delivery.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Hunting, delivery, and resupply missions is all there is to it. Once you pick up the Naturalist role and unlock the legendary missions it's possible to forgo sampling in the mission or selling the pelt or carcass if you kill and skin the animal in the mission and instead donate it to Cripps. Doing that will fill your materials bar quickly. Hunting with the storage wagon unlocked also helps because it stores a finite number of carcasses (like five deer) and I think an unlimited number of flat pelts. So even if you fill the wagon and log off your stuff will still be in the wagon for next time. Also, every 25 goods Cripps made will then require a resupply ($20 or doing a resupply mission). It takes a real life hour for him to make 25 goods. So a full delivery wagon (100 goods) takes four hours. I read that if you want to level quickly you can make deliveries with only 1/100 goods and get the same amount of xp as you would with a full delivery.

eyah if you want to powerlevel it there is a camp site in the desert which is like 100 feet from a train station goods delivery point and you can run them constantly delivering 1 good in just a couple minutes

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

OK, I've got to ask: Who's the "Ned" in the thread title?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Freudian slippers posted:

OK, I've got to ask: Who's the "Ned" in the thread title?

Wanted.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

That... tells me nothing?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It wouldn't be a goony in-joke thread title if anyone who wasn't part of the conversation that spawned it actually got it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

It's just a name that rhymes.

Also they added a quest to the naturalist role that lets you pick a bunch of flowers and turn into a deer, kinda like the peyote thing in GTAO.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

It's just a name that rhymes.

Also they added a quest to the naturalist role that lets you pick a bunch of flowers and turn into a deer, kinda like the peyote thing in GTAO.

Oh cool, can I go to a bar and headbutt everyone?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Gonna be so sad when Rockstar fixes the server population and I wind up in servers with more than 3 other people again. I absolutely love it as it is. I've encountered animals and random encounters and stuff I'd never even seen before.

There's ways to fix that should Rockstar fix what isn't broken.

https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/28

Game's great now, I love being able to help my friends that are just starting out without getting blown up by mod menu pissbabies :toot:

so edgy i cut YOU BITCH
Apr 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just loading up RDO for the first time, I know they just added some new stuff. Is there a good updated beginners guide or do you guys have tips for a fresh start?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

TulliusCicero posted:

Rogin? :v:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/Jimbot256/status/1303508658685444096

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

so edgy i cut YOU BITCH posted:

Just loading up RDO for the first time, I know they just added some new stuff. Is there a good updated beginners guide or do you guys have tips for a fresh start?

1. Hunting is good money. Just run around and hunt whatever you can, once your horse is full run it back to butcher and go again. Unlocking and buying rifles really help out for hunting (see below).
2. Ability cards are amazing. Good abilities of note: Slow and Steady, Paint it Black, Strange Medicine (a godsend when doing PvE content), Iron Lung, Fool Me Once, Never Without One. Upgrading them is advisable, but it is expensive ($900 total per card).
3. Daily Challenges are probably the best way to earn gold. If you want your gold now and are up for grinding both Showdowns and Free Roam Events are fairly good at accruing gold.
4. Play in Defensive mode unless you're fine with fighting other players consistently.
5. Buy a Bolt Action Rifle ASAP. It'll help with hunting and it's still very good when fighting other players.

I prioritize weapon importance in this order, from most important to least important: Bolt Action Rifle, Varmint Rifle, Pump Action Shotgun, Navy Revolver 1, Navy Revolver 2, Carcano Rifle OR Rolling Block Rifle. Move up the Carcano/Rolling Block purchase if you want to fight other players in free roam sooner rather than later. They're more or less required for any sort of meaningful free roam PvP. The Carcano fires faster and I prefer it because I can hit heads pretty consistently. Rolling Block is slow but hits hard. The Bolt Action is your go-to hunting weapon and the Varmint Rifle is nice to bag those perfect smaller critters. I would also highly recommend loading up Express Ammo in virtually everything you fire, it's that good.

Once you have the gold for roles, I would unlock them in this order:
1. Collector
2. Seriously, Collector. It's that good.
3. Trader
4. Everything Else

Bounty Hunter is a good source of gold but I really only enjoy the Legendary Bounties.

Another thing to note: any activity you do is timed outside of a few instanced activities like legendary animals and legendary bounties. A good thing to remember is the longer you take to complete the activity the more you'll make. For example, you find a woman abducted by bandits. You kill the bandits and free her. If you ride her to her house ASAP you'll make 0.04g and like $10. If you take your sweet time and hunt/collect/whatever along the way and drop her off once the timer appears you'll make 0.18g+ and $25 or more. "Doubling up" on activities like that will make you way, way more money in the long run. But don't stress it too much in the beginning, just keep it in the back of your mind when you can choose to do a drop off later rather than sooner.

e: fixed and revised a few things

fennesz fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 9, 2020

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Seeing as Rockstar hosed with the spawn chances of the good collector items, I'd recommend starting with trader. I'd rather take a guaranteed pay-off (and at least for me) more exiting game play, than spending time digging up yet another of the 14 out of 15 coins I need to sell a full set.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Seeing as Rockstar hosed with the spawn chances of the good collector items, I'd recommend starting with trader. I'd rather take a guaranteed pay-off (and at least for me) more exiting game play, than spending time digging up yet another of the 14 out of 15 coins I need to sell a full set.

You can just sell card sets all day every day like me. 250-275 a pop is no joke

Well my rescue missions just got a whole lot longer :getin:

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

hakimashou posted:

eyah if you want to powerlevel it there is a camp site in the desert which is like 100 feet from a train station goods delivery point and you can run them constantly delivering 1 good in just a couple minutes

Can you give a little more detail about where this site is?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

ICMB posted:

Can you give a little more detail about where this site is?

Almost anywhere around Gaptooth Ridge gives you this. Throw your camp up there and you'll be surrounded by pronghorn with a couple of delivery locations really close by.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I still prefer Collector because it feels less grindy. I'm not chained to my camp and having to babysit Cripps. I can ride around wherever I want, triggering different free roam events all the time and still make bank, even if I don't complete sets. Every week or two I stop by Nazar and sell down my collections until I'm 5/10 or less on each item and usually make $500+.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

TulliusCicero posted:

Well my rescue missions just got a whole lot longer :getin:

That poor guy with food poisoning who's trying to not poo poo his pants :smith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Harriet might be a dirty and frazzled ur-hippie but I find her enthusiasm endearing. :allears:

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Trustworthy posted:

That poor guy with food poisoning who's trying to not poo poo his pants :smith:

Is that the same one who “might be sick” and makes all the belching and holding back vomit noises?

The first time I got him as an assist a stranger free roam event, I totally expected him to throw up on me by the end of the ride to town.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

winter.mute posted:

Is that the same one who “might be sick” and makes all the belching and holding back vomit noises?

The first time I got him as an assist a stranger free roam event, I totally expected him to throw up on me by the end of the ride to town.

If I'm remembering right, this does happen if you're not too delicate in your horse riding. Too much shaking and jostling is not good for the old boy.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
"*urrrp* Hey, maybe you know my *fart* cousin? Lives in some *braaappp* metal boxes outside of Con *baaaarff* cord, near the *indescribible wet noise* museum..."

I did run into the drunk who wrecked his booze delivery wagon while delivering someone else to Braithwaite Manor - do you have to hang around for hom, or just loot and leave?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ygolonac posted:

"*urrrp* Hey, maybe you know my *fart* cousin? Lives in some *braaappp* metal boxes outside of Con *baaaarff* cord, near the *indescribible wet noise* museum..."

I did run into the drunk who wrecked his booze delivery wagon while delivering someone else to Braithwaite Manor - do you have to hang around for hom, or just loot and leave?

If you follow him he just yells at you to watch the wagon then collapses against a nearby tree, he doesn't come back.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
"Thanks for all this liquor I'm maxed out on, fella." <chugs eight bottles to make room>

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Ygolonac posted:

Just loot and leave, although I'm sure we all got suckered into waiting around for him the first time. :v:

I recently tried following him; he walked into town (Rhodes), but then despawned the moment I turned away and he left my field of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
wait can you play as the wildlife now??? i wanna be a big grizzy bear

also did my annual "Grand Theft Auto 6" google search and now they are talking 2023 or is that bullshit