Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Is there any word on how the podcast is doing numbers wise? With so much competition, it can't be good. And seeing as how others are getting bought up, that's not a good sign either. I'm sure he's still making money but he was one of the biggest podcasts in the world and now it just another podcast.

I think I stopped listening when he'd go on a 5 minute vicious rant because Drew didn't use a coaster or something in the studio.

I couldn't find anything, but I'm sure it's still substantial. Apparently he had Don Jr on at some point so I'm sure that helped. He's doing a ton of work to only be worth ~$18 million lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even if the podcast isn't making poo poo he's certainly getting some reactionary millionaire/billionaire money now that he's pals with Prager.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Even if the podcast isn't making poo poo he's certainly getting some reactionary millionaire/billionaire money now that he's pals with Prager.

Prager is why I quit listening. I had taken a several month hiatus because I wasn't able to keep up with his show and listen to other podcasts I had found and enjoyed much better. When I decided to give Adam another chance within in the first 15 minutes he is talking about filling in for Dennis Miller on his radio show and plugging a live tour he was doing with Prager. I stopped the podcast and unsubscribed after that.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
So I don't know the numbers for ACS but when Ray was fired from Ace on the House, I worked behind the scenes at the start of his podcast. He told me that ACS gets about 70k downloads per episode. I'm sure ACS blows that out of the water so I'd have to imagine that he's getting at least a couple hundred thousand per episode.

He did recently, AFIAK, start splitting episodes into two parts which I think is an effort to boost over all download numbers. Also even though many people don't associate with him anymore (DAG, David Wild, etc) the Fox News fans who like him are still as obsessed as ever, so who knows.

Anyway, that's all of the information I have which is so close to none that I almost shouldn't have posted.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The couple guys I know who still listen to ACS are otherwise big AM radio guys. If you've never heard small-fry AM radio talent.... woof. Adam's dusty old routine probably still kills if that's how low the bar has been set.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/keewa/status/1300919505149976576?s=20

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Lol he's been doing the blind "thanks" thing for at least 5 years but that is some primo poo poo goddamn

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Adam used to go on a rant like "There's no way they could make 'All In the Family' today," and I had it in my heart that some how he would get paired with a "good student" like, say, Kevin Hench or Mike Birbiglia to do just that and get a very human take on a sitcom and they would force the 'warehouse' to turn into more of a 'factory'.

But there's no way that will ever happen. Adam has had just enough monetary success to be convinced that any further intellectual heavy lifting of doing something original ever again is a waste of time. He's driven away anyone who doesn't follow a path precisely parallel to his mandate. He can just keep recycling the same spew and just enough people will keep tuning-in to hear the angry mashed potatoes & green beans comfort food of a literal millionaire ranting about his gardener and ineffectual traffic enforcement. Still. For now.

He and Drew have literally become Sid & Marty Krofft, capitalizing on making lovely sno-cones where the only real difference is the color of the same bland syrup day-after-day.

And yeah, the whole cozying-up to a wife rapist and minimizing the virulence of Covid-19.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Adam had all the opportunity in the world to shift into literally anything more than he is*. He hasn’t taken it, and he won’t.

*last time I listened to the podcast was a couple months before Allison was let go.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

JGdmn posted:

Adam had all the opportunity in the world to shift into literally anything more than he is*. He hasn’t taken it, and he won’t.

*last time I listened to the podcast was a couple months before Allison was let go.

I stopped listening regularly when Alison left, but still had it on my Pocketcasts list. Then I listened to her podcast about how she was treated and I realized I had no desire to listen to him anymore and unsubscribed.

Really stinks too because I listened to him religiously for years. Even before podcasts were huge they released his radio show as podcasts and I got them because I wasn't in the area to actually listen live.

I was trying to think of what changed with him, and really I don't think he changed at all. The people around him changed, times changed and his shtick didn't work anymore.

I wonder if him and Jimmy are still friends

bartok
May 10, 2006

Realized that of the first three podcast I got into, two of them pivoted hard right. ACS is more Fox News right but last time I checked up on Redbar Radio, Mike David had gone full alt-right. Anyone else used to listen to Redbar? I stopped listening after former co-host James Fritz got a bunch of Chicago comedians together and they put out a podcast on what a piece of poo poo Mike David was.
Thank God the Uhh Yeah Dude guys still seem pretty cool though sadly I don't listen as frequently as I used to.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

bartok posted:

Realized that of the first three podcast I got into, two of them pivoted hard right. ACS is more Fox News right but last time I checked up on Redbar Radio, Mike David had gone full alt-right. Anyone else used to listen to Redbar? I stopped listening after former co-host James Fritz got a bunch of Chicago comedians together and they put out a podcast on what a piece of poo poo Mike David was.
Thank God the Uhh Yeah Dude guys still seem pretty cool though sadly I don't listen as frequently as I used to.

I never listened to Redbar stuff but I'm pretty sure there used to be a thread for them here way back when. I know I used to see/hear their name come up a lot.

UYD has stayed remarkably consistent for the 14 years they've been doing it. From episode 800± they've been covering each year since the show started by going through Seth's notes from the respective year and getting around to stories they never covered the first time and its been great. Weirdly, I think it's the best chronicle of modern Americana there is.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

one more, sorry

https://twitter.com/mcclure111/status/1301260389854908417?s=21

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
My friend worked promotions at KROQ in the early 00s and the one rule they had was under no circumstances were you to look Adam Carolla in the eyes, like he was a fuckin Olmec idol of Gen-X rage.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

bartok posted:

I hadn't ever heard of Redbar until he started trashing the LA podcast scene. It seems that he just makes fun of LA podcasters and makes a living off of that nowadays. Seems like a weird career move.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ugh. I stopped listening when Adam and Dr. Drew became very samey. Then I stopped listening to Reasonable Doubt when his rants took over Mark's legal analysis.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

It always messes me up a bit when a musician I like died.

I specifically remember wondering, back when John Prine died of covid, if that would have any affect on Carolla or give him the slightest bit of pause since I remembered Carolla speaking of him so highly, in a way that was unusual for him. Lol.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Carolla liked John Prine? I only remember him rambling on about John Hiatt, Joe Jackson, and the Ben Folds Five.

Given his generally bad musical taste, I was shocked when we found out he actually liked Blood, Sweat & Tears.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

vote_no posted:

Carolla liked John Prine?

I mean this is me drawing on a memory from 2007 of him talking about music on KROQ in the morning, so I may be wrong here but I'm pretty sure Prine and Hiatt both came up.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Is he still doing his rants about John Hiatt not being on the satellite radio 80's station?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

AFewBricksShy posted:

Is he still doing his rants about
haven't listened for years or finished reading your post but: YES

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1301214804321935360

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Fragile old man yelling at pussy’s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/yaf/status/1301628286519447553?s=20

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

NO SAFE SPACES!

Say a bunch of people who believe they are constantly under attack gathering together in a virtual space, to figure out how to make themselves safe from ~cancel culture~

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

This is solid

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

GANGELGON

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

The brains trust here there.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I wonder if all four of them think “free speech” means “the US Constitution guarantees there shall be no consequences for me being an openly bigoted rear end in a top hat”

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ralph Hurley posted:

I wonder if all four of them think “free speech” means “the US Constitution guarantees there shall be no consequences for me being an openly bigoted rear end in a top hat”

Yeah they all think free speech means 1. freedom from consequences of what you say 2. you should have whatever platform you want.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ralph Hurley posted:

pretty much correct, the only think you're missing is the emphasis on "me"

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe we should kill this thread.

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1302086555952009216

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Well, the one thing they can agree on is “juggies”

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

i wanna hear from JB50 before this gets deep sixed. no bad blood, just wanna see what's up

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

:lol: FREE SPEECH WARRIORS

Good job aceman, you've finally made it, you're in the big time now rolling with the likes of *scrolls down* Dennis Prager and Ben Shapiro. Can only imagine the big brain nuggets about grit that will be rolling off that Comedy Factory assembly line
Yeah, it's not really a surprise, even though I haven't listened in years, that he was headed toward something like this, but this officially marks the point where I write him off. Hope those chud dollars are worth losing all his funny friends he's alienating forever.

I'm not going to close the thread myself for at least a couple weeks, want to make sure everyone gets a chance to talk about how much he sucks, would have no problem with it going away though and I really doubt he has many fans left around here anymore.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Listen to Daves of Thunder!

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Shift it into a thread for mocking carolla imo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

WEH posted:

Shift it into a thread for mocking carolla imo

https://twitter.com/adamcarolla/status/1301918041760919557?s=20

Adam Carolla Podcast - What happened to dudes

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RightClickSaveAs posted:

:lol: FREE SPEECH WARRIORS

Good job aceman, you've finally made it, you're in the big time now rolling with the likes of *scrolls down* Dennis Prager and Ben Shapiro. Can only imagine the big brain nuggets about grit that will be rolling off that Comedy Factory assembly line
Yeah, it's not really a surprise, even though I haven't listened in years, that he was headed toward something like this, but this officially marks the point where I write him off. Hope those chud dollars are worth losing all his funny friends he's alienating forever.

I'm not going to close the thread myself for at least a couple weeks, want to make sure everyone gets a chance to talk about how much he sucks, would have no problem with it going away though and I really doubt he has many fans left around here anymore.

just leave it open. I still like to check in on him, but more like "what's going on in his life" TMZ style, and not "what exciting thing is he putting out today".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

“is his career ruined yet?”