Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Azuren posted:

Tutorial island question: In that first war against Desmond, enforcing demands made him my vassal. In all the other wars with claims I've fabricated, I end up owning the land directly. Is there a choice between the two options, and if not, what determines what happens?

It's all about the Casus Belli you use. In that first war, you're saying "the count of Desmond is supposed to swear fealty to the petty king of Munster, so you should swear fealty to me". You fight and win and he swears fealty to you.

Your other wars so far have been "this document my bishop dug up says that actually, I'm the rightful ruler of this land", so you take the land for yourself directly once you win.

On the screen where you declare war, it'll tell you what the outcome will be if you win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I think that there might be an issue with Norse rulers. I've seen so many maps (and experienced in the game myself) where norse rulers are conquering absolutely random parts of Catholic Europe.
While I get that they should be far ranging and raiding and stuff the norse conquering Avignon or always ALWAYS taking Ireland.

I'm not saying it's bad definitely but I do feel like it shouldn't be working this way, like maybe they've accidentally set something somewhere that's making the norse extra conquery.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thats pretty much what they did in actual history though. Including places in the Mediterranean by the Normans.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 5, 2020

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Taear posted:

I think that there might be an issue with Norse rulers. I've seen so many maps (and experienced in the game myself) where norse rulers are conquering absolutely random parts of Catholic Europe.
While I get that they should be far ranging and raiding and stuff the norse conquering Avignon or always ALWAYS taking Ireland.

I'm not saying it's bad definitely but I do feel like it shouldn't be working this way, like maybe they've accidentally set something somewhere that's making the norse extra conquery.

I noticed this in my game, too. Most of the English isles and random parts of germany were controlled by the Norse, but by 1000 in my game, they have been kicked out of almost everywhere except for Ireland, which is controlled mostly by Sweden.

In fact, after the pope called a SECOND crusade to rid the Norse from England, I had two Englands: regular England, which my sister became queen of, and Crusader England.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Aye Doc posted:

just thinking as to how he got out of your realm - did you assign him a ward that was outside of your court?

I don't think so? I hope I didn't speed click the wrong option while I was trying to focus his education.

edit (snip.. had filter applied)

Edit edit: gently caress it. My story arc is now conquering northern england to get my child back. I have a very particular set of skills....

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 5, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats pretty much what they did in actual history though. Including places in the Mediterranean.

They raided them. Things like the siege of lisbon, sure.
But sweden annexing the north of france or denmark conquering sicily isn't really the same as the way the norse raiders/mercs settled the areas they did, you know?

Like the Danelaw isn't part of Denmark in reality, even though later Danish kings ruled england.

Do you get me? I feel like it's trying to replicate the things I've mentioned but doing it in a weird way. And it's not a massive deal or anything but it does kinda gently caress up some places when they're trying to spread their wings so wide. Sweden costs 750 prestige to bring into a fight with you but they're not there because they're busy defending Tangiers against Umayadd or whatever.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 5, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wait, if I capture the enemy head of state in a battle should I have been torturing in my dungeon before enforcing my war demands? I feel like I've been playing so suboptimally!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

gently caress yeah, Ludwig II died with East Francia and Bavaria split between his two sons and ultimately at war over both titles; I, as a duke under Bavaria, stay out of personally engaging in the war, doubly-so once the Byzantine Emperor - father of the East Francian queen - shows up with six thousand troops.

Not able to fight head on, I intrigue the poo poo out of the Byzantines and assassinate the Emperor, they fall into civil war chaos, and their armies in Francia vaporize or march into the fog of war presumably to fix their poo poo at home. With the East Francian army weak, I sally forth from Carinthia and meet the last of the Bavarian and East Francian armies in the field, just as the Bavarians were about to fold, instead Rohaning the poo poo out of the East Francians and driving the conquest march through their now undefended kingdom.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Do all tribals get Conquer County/Duchy CBs on their neighbors or is that just Norse with Asatru? I figure it's time to go native with my Rurikids, but I'm worried about losing that.

Also if I switch to Russian culture I lose longboats right? :smith:

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
A nonsensical list of observations from ~1320 AD.

1. High Crown succession doesn't actually stop titles from leaving your realm despite what the game tells you. As Emperor of Britannia I had to declare war on Poland and Byzantium during my run because some county ended up part of their realm after being part of mine. When the warning pops up about something inheriting out of your realm take it seriously -- I started eating the revoke penalty over letting it happen.

2. I went for ultimogeniture and noticed when inheriting the opinion penalties seem backwards -- my oldest eligible sibling had the biggest penalty to forming an alliance even though he's the "least rightful" pretender. Meanwhile my youngest brother (the first in line to inherit if I meet an early demise) is happy to be my ally.

3. Mongols appeared circa 1200, but didn't even make it to Almaty during Ghengis Khans reign. They continue to sort of hang out as a tiny blob on the eastern edge of the map.

4. Every generation all my siblings would form cadet branches. There are 24 houses most of which have <10 members, and are still composed of my vassals. I won an early crusade for Jerusalem and the dynasty member I installed there made a cadet branch, but I don't understand why random vassals with claims on my primary title and no holdings outside of my de jure realm are allowed to form a new house.

5. As a large realm (empire sized) army management is a disaster. The AI wants to drop a surprise stack on my capital so every time I go to war I would raise an army at the spot I wanted most of my troops reinforce a small number of levies then have to "split army" move everything but one small group of levies over and disband the original army. Is there a way to say "STOP REINFORCING AND START MARCHING"?

6. I ended up with more money than I could spend. After 1200 or so I was able to hit up daddy pope for 750 gold every 3 years (~21 gold per month) plus getting about 60 gold per month from my domain (holding Meath and Munster in Ireland with as many castles as possible).

7. Re: last step this left me with 4 non-capital baronies. Most of the time I hold these baronies directly, but when I needed to hold more titles (say because I'm getting old and want to give my heir titles to hand out) I can hand them out to "low nobles". These "low nobles" can have their title revoked with no tyranny. This is pretty cheesy.

8. The "development" map view is great for comparing regions of the world (wow India is so much more developed than subsaharan Africa!) but pretty useless for assessing your own realm. I triggered the decision for converting Britain to Irish culture, but it was very tedious identifying which counties had the the highest development.

9. Vassals can give their vassals the "declare war" privilege even if they themselves don't have that. :what:

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 5, 2020

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I've found the Norse blitz only lasts one generation, then they splinter and begin infighting and grinding their special starting levies to dust and get rolled back. I've yet to play a game where the Anglo-Saxons under Alfred and his heirs haven't mostly retaken Britain by 967. The whole control mechanic makes it really hard to blitz and keep momentum without a strong home country to keep the armies up. Halfdan in particular gets turbofucked in my games once his special levies get chewed up.

On another note though, Military Academies + Gallant perk on knight effectiveness let's you field some Greek Epic level champions. You can get up to 200% effectiveness with those and a few other lucky perks and the power level does not seem to be a linear increase at all. My 9 champions frequently kill or maim all the opposing knights without much of a fuss and inflict absurd losses on levies.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Willfrey posted:

I don't think so? I hope I didn't speed click the wrong option while I was trying to focus his education.

edit (snip.. had filter applied)

Edit edit: gently caress it. My story arc is now conquering northern england to get my child back. I have a very particular set of skills....

Did your capital get occupied at any point in the last 10 years? It may be possible that your son was taken prisoner by someone and then was recruited into that character's court.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jaytan posted:

5. As a large realm (empire sized) army management is a disaster. The AI wants to drop a surprise stack on my capital so every time I go to war I would raise an army at the spot I wanted most of my troops reinforce a small number of levies then have to "split army" move everything but one small group of levies over and disband the original army. Is there a way to say "STOP REINFORCING AND START MARCHING"?

Yes if you hover over a gathering army it says "Hold Ctrl + Click to stop gathering and move"

Omnicarus posted:

On another note though, Military Academies + Gallant perk on knight effectiveness let's you field some Greek Epic level champions. You can get up to 200% effectiveness with those and a few other lucky perks and the power level does not seem to be a linear increase at all. My 9 champions frequently kill or maim all the opposing knights without much of a fuss and inflict absurd losses on levies.

Wow... we finally have the Dynasty Warriors paradox game we've been waiting for

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Also just FYI if you click on a rally flag you can "Raise Local armies" that only raises the troops local to that flag. So if you put rally flags on your borders and at your capital it will only raise the levies that are closest to that point.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Thanks, I didn't realize just how much of a bonus fascination gives you. As for my liege, I don't have one, I'm the emperor of Scandinavia and Britannia and King of the Danelaw. By the way, raiding sure is a great source of income.

Speaking of, Scandinavian Elective succession sure has its upsides. Yes, you have to deal with ornery electors, but you can actually deal with them, even if it means spending decades swaying, bribing and fabricating hooks to get people to vote the way you want.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of dynasty warriors, the Dynasty Legacy screen is giving me true analysis paralysis because it takes so long to unlock. I blew a bunch of renown during my claimant war in the hopes it could provide an advantage... still don't know what to focus on going forward

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Omnicarus posted:

I just saw a streamer have two of his berserkers rip the head off the same man. Perhaps they were made differently in the 9th century.

I will attest, though, that one of those berserkers racked up 138 personal kills in a battle that had fewer than 2000 men on each side. That's not Greek epic, that's Celtic myth. Presumably he did not think it too many.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Taear posted:

They raided them. Things like the siege of lisbon, sure.
But sweden annexing the north of france or denmark conquering sicily isn't really the same as the way the norse raiders/mercs settled the areas they did, you know?

Like the Danelaw isn't part of Denmark in reality, even though later Danish kings ruled england.

Do you get me? I feel like it's trying to replicate the things I've mentioned but doing it in a weird way. And it's not a massive deal or anything but it does kinda gently caress up some places when they're trying to spread their wings so wide. Sweden costs 750 prestige to bring into a fight with you but they're not there because they're busy defending Tangiers against Umayadd or whatever.

I kind of agree. In my latest game Sweden owns half of Spain as well as parts of north France and the whole of Bavaria. Like it’s fun but seems a bit odd.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
After getting used to the incredibly glacial rate of tech advancement with my martial and intrigue rulers, succession finally landed on a scholar. Conveniently, right after I'd kidnapped my way into control of Rome as the previous North African ruler. Between my new ruler's turbo-nerd scholarship and converting Rome to my culture (which only exists in like a dozen counties, so Rome skyrocketed the average development of my culture), I was churning out innovations five times more quickly. Now that I've gotten the innovations that up the cap on development penalties I'm quickly pumping up my North African capital's development level due to all the +development bonuses in the scholarship tree. I'm also constantly jamming religious debates for piety, founded a holy order (which actually bailed me out when the Pope came calling wanting his land back), and could easily found a splinter religion if I wanted to.

Again, feels very different from the stewardship "build everything," martial "conquer everything," or intrigue "murder everything" playstyles.

e: The Byzantines are scarier to me than the Pope at this point, since they're on my border in both North Africa and Italy and could easily come calling at any time in either region.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 5, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I got a cat AND a dog!

The cat killed the dog :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Not sure why I get so many invites (high diplomacy maybe) but some of my rulers seem to get invited to an insane number of feasts, making stress an absolute non-issue.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It is *fantastic* that you can just make all your vassals feudal immediately now rather than having to sit on them for six generations while they slowly learn to build sufficiently impressive castles.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Not sure why I get so many invites (high diplomacy maybe) but some of my rulers seem to get invited to an insane number of feasts, making stress an absolute non-issue.

I got that too. Then I died of obesity :btroll:

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The Vikings tended to raid and settle, though not necessarily in large numbers. We tend to think of colonization in terms of the founding of America, but it seemed a little less clear cut with the Vikings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_expansion

"In the 9th and 10th centuries, the Vikings raided the largely defenceless Frisian and Frankish towns lying on the coast and along the rivers of the Low Countries. Although Vikings never settled in large numbers in those areas, they did set up long-term bases and were even acknowledged as lords in a few cases."

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

My current ruler is both an Eager Reveler and Athletic, so feasts and hunts both kill stress for me. Really helps out when I go against my humble nature.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Is there a console command to imprison someone? I tried the imprison command from CK2 with the appropriate character ids but it said the command doesn’t exist. It doesn’t seem to be on any of the console command lists I’ve seen either.

Killing the guy works fine, but I don’t want him dead, I just want him in my dungeon. I really should have just taken care of him with my previous 20 intrigue ruler while I had the chance. This is the former king of France who I usurped the throne from, then my guy died and now everyone hates my current queen and wants to put him back in charge.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Winklebottom posted:

I got a cat AND a dog!

The cat killed the dog :smith:

I had a cat that I had to get rid of (husband was allergic to it) which I gave to a friend who subsequently went "The cat? Ohhhhh, uh, he's probably... playing somewhere. Outside."

Dog stayed with me years until he died. A good dogge. :(

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Glass of Milk posted:

The Vikings tended to raid and settle, though not necessarily in large numbers. We tend to think of colonization in terms of the founding of America, but it seemed a little less clear cut with the Vikings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_expansion

"In the 9th and 10th centuries, the Vikings raided the largely defenceless Frisian and Frankish towns lying on the coast and along the rivers of the Low Countries. Although Vikings never settled in large numbers in those areas, they did set up long-term bases and were even acknowledged as lords in a few cases."

Yea as I said I think that's sort of what it's trying to emulate but the viking settlement in northern france, the netherlands, Ireland and Britain isn't the same as just "sweden now owns amsterdam"
So far they've kept their stuff quite well in my games, I dunno.

It's well known (at least in the UK) that a lot of settlements are viking founded but that doesn't mean they were part of an overall nation, they're just settlers. York wasn't part of Norway, Dublin wasn't, Waterford wasn't. But they were founded by adventuring vikings still.
The game can display that but I think that the norse are a bit hosed up just right now.

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 5, 2020

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

Is there a console command to imprison someone? I tried the imprison command from CK2 with the appropriate character ids but it said the command doesn’t exist. It doesn’t seem to be on any of the console command lists I’ve seen either.

Killing the guy works fine, but I don’t want him dead, I just want him in my dungeon. I really should have just taken care of him with my previous 20 intrigue ruler while I had the chance. This is the former king of France who I usurped the throne from, then my guy died and now everyone hates my current queen and wants to put him back in charge.

You don't need a console command, with debug mode on just right click the character and select quick imprison:

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
As far as Paradox initial releases go CK3 is pretty darn good. I was pretty worried after the Imperator debacle. Different teams I guess.

Are plagues in the game yet? I don't recall any in my gameplay so far but maybe I haven't paid enough attention.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Star posted:

I kind of agree. In my latest game Sweden owns half of Spain as well as parts of north France and the whole of Bavaria. Like it’s fun but seems a bit odd.

It just keeps happening on its own. See if you can find all the tiny little counties my vassals have somehow ended up with:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol I started the independence war and I am not sure how to build up warscore when my liege's armies are getting ganked by his other two enemies, meanwhile since I'm technically still part of the empire I'm getting sieged by the western foreign invader

edit: this is that math.gif but in map form

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 5, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Huskalator posted:

As far as Paradox initial releases go CK3 is pretty darn good. I was pretty worried after the Imperator debacle. Different teams I guess.

Are plagues in the game yet? I don't recall any in my gameplay so far but maybe I haven't paid enough attention.

Yep, one of my vassals died of plague, and a ruler died of typhus.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Traxis posted:

You don't need a console command, with debug mode on just right click the character and select quick imprison:

Oh drat, I didn’t even realize that was an option now. I was just hovering over him to get his character id.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Do I need Partition instead of Confederate Partition to safely start eating away at other kingdoms? Under Confederate if I own enough of the land to form a kingdom but don't form the kingdom the game could automatically create the title to give away to all my children right? Also can a vassal not create the same tier title as you have still like CK2?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hate to say it but game needs Forts to slow down back capping it's kind of dumb if you have a capital next to the ocean and the AI just constantly does an amphibious invasion when you're not paying attention and captures you for 100% warscore

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Jaytan posted:

Ctrl-click. It even comes up in the tooltip for movement if you're trying to move an army that's gathering.

Nowadays I do a 'rally all troops' then instantly a couple thousand people come, and I just immediately send them marching, then do another rally, let that build up a couple k, then send them out as well.

It makes it a lot easier to both start up a bunch of armies all over the place, and easier to manage how many troops you're leveraging in a war.
No point in raising 20k troops to stomp someone who can only muster 2000, all you're hurting then is your wallet.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of dynasty warriors, the Dynasty Legacy screen is giving me true analysis paralysis because it takes so long to unlock. I blew a bunch of renown during my claimant war in the hopes it could provide an advantage... still don't know what to focus on going forward

Yeah they are extremely long term decisions and I feel like the typical playstyle of a player coming from CK2 will probably not get the most out of them so it's probably going to require a bit of a shift in thinking before people really start to figure out how to use them effectively. You need to spread your dynasty around as independent rulers to get the most renown, rather than just having them all as vassals.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol at all these weird intersecting wargoals leading to complete chaos on the field

Is there an event ledger, because I want to look at what happened in the 5 days where one of my independence war allies died, so their army instantly flipped to being hostile and we fought, and then the successor joined the independence war so we all turned around and started working together again to siege the same province

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Warscore contribution is hosed up. My kids are set to inherit the Byzantine empire and there was a rebellion against the tyranny of the current Emperor which he was losing. I rolled in, captured the revolting dukes capital and liberated like 6 counties for the Emperor resulting in 100% warscore and victory.

My contribution to the war:

0%