Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Romanced my wife and made her my soulmate and lover.

My spymaster says that there are rumors of my wife having a lover and was given some ways of checking, chose to set my spymaster in my court to find rumors.

Turns out my wife is loving some French dude from back where she was from. Now I have no idea if the kids I have are mine.

Got a divorce and now I’m waiting to see if my new wife can pop out some heirs...

GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LOL this tactic of "set up an abduction scheme against enemy leader, declare war when the popup appears, complete scheme for 100% warscore" feels so cheap

But it feels valid, what else should I be doing with a leader with complete garbage stats except for 32 intrigue

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Omnicarus posted:

I'm facing an odd situation where my grandson is the only heir I have and his mother died as a guest in someone else's court. Seems that now I can't interact with my heir at all because he is a guest somewhere else, and also can't invite him back because he is a child, and I can't interact with his education menu or offer guardianship because that must be set by his employer, but no employer is listed. Basically my grandson is growing up feral.

I had that happen too, I feel like that's not working as intended. It keeps telling me to give him a guardian, too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK so I have a couple of vassals who aren't giving as much tax money as they should because I am not their Rightful Liege. Now I could go ahead and create the Duchy, thereby holding the title they want. But I personally can only hold two duchy titles at a time, so when I take on this title that makes three so that's not good. And if I give the title to someone else, well that original vassal will still not give more taxes because I don't hold the duchy title, someone else does now. I assume that if I keep the duchy title I just created, and give one of the two I've had for a while to someone else, this same issue would pop up with those vassals in the duchy I just gave up. So I'm not sure what to do to get these vassals to give the proper amount of taxes?

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
One thing I've noticed is that people seem waaaay too keen to convert religions when their realm population doesn't match them. Which sorta makes sense but gets very bizarre when people win a holy war then immediately convert to match the religion of the land they just invaded...because of the different religion

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

*taking a hard look at the knight system*
:hmmyes:
Battletech mod when?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

OK so I have a couple of vassals who aren't giving as much tax money as they should because I am not their Rightful Liege. Now I could go ahead and create the Duchy, thereby holding the title they want. But I personally can only hold two duchy titles at a time, so when I take on this title that makes three so that's not good. And if I give the title to someone else, well that original vassal will still not give more taxes because I don't hold the duchy title, someone else does now. I assume that if I keep the duchy title I just created, and give one of the two I've had for a while to someone else, this same issue would pop up with those vassals in the duchy I just gave up. So I'm not sure what to do to get these vassals to give the proper amount of taxes?

Create the duchy, give the duchy to someone, then give your county vassals to the newly created duchy vassal so the hierarchy holds.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I am enjoying the game so far but goddamn does the AI's "MUST DESTROY THE PLAYER AT ALL COSTS" directive need to be toned down.

I'm playing England, allied to Asturias, and after being drug into the 18th war in a row with them I was too broke to raise my whole army on the next defensive call. So here we are in two different defensive wars with some Norse nation and Anjou. Being broke I just raised my onagers and a pack of 500 footmen and decided to just go siege some irrelevant province the Norsemen had in the middle of Bavaria and the entirety of both the Anjou and Norse forces completely abandoned Asturias, sailed around as far as they could, marched across half of Europe just to attack my 500 guys (whom I just ran away with). They then went back and right as they were landing on their wargoals again I re-sieged and they both packed back up and did it again.

We won both defensive wars because almost 12k troops, half of which weren't even allied to the person I was attacking, couldn't stand the thought of me, the player, having 550 troops doing a siege.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Willfrey posted:

OK it just happened again to another one of my sons. Same loving county, same barony, thankfully this time it wasn't my heir but as before he isn't in my court anymore.

BUT i did figure out how it happened I sort of. Under his relationships tab it shows him as a guardian to a guest in said county's court. I never manually assigned a guardian to this son, it just automatically did this poo poo.

What the gently caress? Why did it automatically do this? A guardian runs off with my son to my biggest enemy, and that guy grants him a barony and locks him out of my court? Man gently caress this bitch she's getting a stabbing.

This is super loving annoying because I am divvying up recently conquered scotland to my sons and it keeps robbing them.

Yeah this is buggy as poo poo. It showed him as a traveling guest in my court.

I then assassinated his 'guardian' who was a guest in said court. Now he doesn't show up at all in my court screen.

I then tried to revoke his title (they dynastic option was available) and it hit me with the -50 opinion but he did not relinquish his title. I'm now going to war with the county I'll see how it unfolds....

Edit: Conquored county, son remained as baron, now under my control. All's well that ends well I guess.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 5, 2020

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Is there a way to change your primary title?
I have everything set up for the "Dynasty of Many Crowns" decision, but I can't grant the other kings independence because they're my de jure vassals. And destroying your primary title is not allowed.
Guess I'll have to hope they revolt for independence

e: Just lost the title to my sister, who was independent before all this, but I'm still King. Guess I'll just start my own independence faction and hope the other kings join.....once I'm no longer 7 years old, because apparently children aren't allowed to do that.
Seems like regencies aren't a thing anymore, I'm just not allowed to do a bunch of stuff (like using the sway action...murder is still fine though :ese:)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 6, 2020

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Man the odds for getting a good education feels way lower than in CK2. Even when matching childhood trait with a related education focus and an appropriate 4 star guardian the result is almost always a 1 or 2 star education.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Not the Messiah posted:

One thing I've noticed is that people seem waaaay too keen to convert religions when their realm population doesn't match them. Which sorta makes sense but gets very bizarre when people win a holy war then immediately convert to match the religion of the land they just invaded...because of the different religion

Yeah this happens with culture conversions too, it makes the "reclaim Britannia" decision harder than it should be because one of the requirements is for all of your powerful vassals to be Brythonic or Goidelic, but anyone you give a duchy to in Scotland or England has a habit of converting to the local Scots/Anglo-Saxon/English culture.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Noooo, just died right as I started sieging the last county I needed to form my next title and my poo poo is SCATTERED! Death was a random heart failure right after my army took theirs out lol.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I have a Peasants Revolt strolling all over my Ireland, shouldn't I be at war with them? Because I'm not. So I married my daughter to the Peasants' leader and now I have an alliance with them but they're still besieging towns and occupying counties and I'm really not sure where this is going.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah this happens with culture conversions too, it makes the "reclaim Britannia" decision harder than it should be because one of the requirements is for all of your powerful vassals to be Brythonic or Goidelic, but anyone you give a duchy to in Scotland or England has a habit of converting to the local Scots/Anglo-Saxon/English culture.

It's genuinely quite annoying, the king of France inherited that land that was taken in the holy war and now he's converted to Islam despite all of France being Catholic :wtc: So now most of Western Europe is Islamic except for the duchies in France that aren't part of the crown and my dumb rear end in Leon. (they've also taken Rome but literally no other parts of Italy lol)

Not the Messiah fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 5, 2020

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've had the experience of lieges converting to their population's culture when I converted their culture (after running the reclaim Britannia decision). I wonder if the game is trying to guess what you intend to happen? The way I activated the decision was to educate my most powerful vassals heirs to be Irish.

Unkempt posted:

I have a Peasants Revolt strolling all over my Ireland, shouldn't I be at war with them? Because I'm not. So I married my daughter to the Peasants' leader and now I have an alliance with them but they're still besieging towns and occupying counties and I'm really not sure where this is going.

I haven't encountered this, but maybe they are revolting against a vassal of yours? Still loyal to your crown but sick of his poo poo.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

one of your vassals had a peasant revolt. Look at your vassal's diplomacy to see which one. If you right click the vassal you could join their war, not sure if you can side with the revolt, look for the dude you married your daughter to, right click him and find out.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
If you reform your religion to make women superior/preferred to men, can you make it so the default marriage is matrilineal, or do women by default pass on the family name?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Lol poo poo, the plague is coming through too and I don't have a doctor. I did two doctor searches so far and get to pick between a sadistic "rapacious craven" and another sadistic high intrigue butcher. we'll see how this goes!

Edit: Lol yep this game is totally over, the plague wiped everyone out like, immediately.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 5, 2020

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Havent seen the plague yet, Ive reclaimed Brittania for the celts and now Im settling in to breed a super dynasty and do some ReCeltification in Britain before it hits.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

*taking a hard look at the knight system*
:hmmyes:
Battletech mod when?

I think CK3 could work really well for a Battletech game, almost all of the mechanics would translate directly. Your knights would be mechwarriors, so on average you have only 4-16 mechs in battle at once, and they would of course be brutally effective against conventional forces. Levies would be regular infantry, and men at arms could be specialized equipment like tanks, helicopters, etc.

There's no space combat(Lore reasons: It's too expensive and complicated to replace ships so there's a universal treaty to avoid destroying jump-capable ships), so the existing naval system where you pay to travel would work perfectly, because that's basically how it works in Battletech. An then you have all the same dynastic politics and intrigue between the various Great Houses. I could keep going down the list but basically every single system in CK3 could be made to work perfectly in the Battletech context, with perhaps the exception of religion, but that could be adapted to represent political or social ideology. And since Paradox now owns the company that owns the rights to Battletech games, it could be a real possibility, or they could give their blessings for a mod, like they did with the World of Darkness IP that Paradox also owns.

Even the Duchy -> County -> Barony system would work well for something like Duchy = Solar System, County = Planet, and Barony = Subdivided territory on said planet.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 5, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Has anyone tried a no vassal run yet? I've noticed that the domain limit penalty caps out at -90% levies and taxes. That remaining 10% could theoretically go a long way if you have dozens/hundreds/thousands of counties for yourself. No idea how effective this would actually be.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Has anyone tried a no vassal run yet? I've noticed that the domain limit penalty caps out at -90% levies and taxes. That remaining 10% could theoretically go a long way if you have dozens/hundreds/thousands of counties for yourself. No idea how effective this would actually be.

The return of North Korea Mode

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's real tough to take Spain as the Muslims when so much as breathing on Castille gets a Crusade of 50k dudes dropped on your head. There seems to be almost no cooldown on Crusades.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Macintosh HD posted:

Is there a discord or something for goons playing this stuff?

I finished the tutorial and did a fresh start as the Duke of Munster. I’m finding that a bunch of things aren’t clicking.

I mean, I’m the King of Ireland but I’m only pulling like 4 gold a month, which doesn’t seem right.

Bit of a late reply but there is a MapGoons discord server for all Paradox games, it's pretty active. This discord link is here for goons that want to join, should be active for about a day.

https://discord.gg/zB2kKh

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It sucks that 867 is the same as or worse than it was in CK2. Africa is better, actually, but the Abbasids will never go away, Karling bordergore will never end, and random poo poo all over the map will inevitably end up being swedish or danish.

RE: vikingchat earlier, yeah they sailed and settled all over, but viking rulers in Ireland or York or Normandy, let alone loving Italy or Spain or Greece, shouldn't be loyally serving the king of Denmark or Sweden. Notice how all the vikings who start outside of Scandinavia are independent.

I also had high hopes for gavelkind changes but it'll still do the same dumb poo poo where if you have say, two kingdoms, but two duchies in one kingdom and none in the other, bordergore is the only option. The second heir of the second kingdom should just seize land, or even spawn a new holding if tribal. No more Harald Hardrada of Norway and England->Heir One of Lesser Norway and Heir Two of Trondelag and England please.

However, really enjoying it.

e: if anything the bordergore is even worse here. You can have two titles and two heirs but somehow it'll be Norway + Yorkshire + Kent and England + Trondelag + the Orkneys.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 5, 2020

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Reforming the Roman Empire made me lose primogeniture! :mad:

EDIT: End process :lol: It's only 50 years until 1200, so I guess Rome can wait.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tetramin posted:

Lol poo poo, the plague is coming through too and I don't have a doctor. I did two doctor searches so far and get to pick between a sadistic "rapacious craven" and another sadistic high intrigue butcher. we'll see how this goes!

Edit: Lol yep this game is totally over, the plague wiped everyone out like, immediately.

I had the plague hit, and my doctor caught it, which disqualifies them from being the court doctor, so I did a search for another court doctor, who after I hired them promptly caught the plague themselves. Yet somehow when the entire plague passed through only one person in my court died from it, after 14 people caught it, and my own character never caught it himself.

I do miss the disease mechanics from Reaper's Due a bit - it's not a big deal but it was kind of neat being able to see the plague spread across Europe and slowly work its way towards your territory. Especially fun if you were in one of the areas that it could potentially skip over and sitting there wondering "is it gonna miss me or not".

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Do we have a discord for general discussion and gamefinding?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's honestly kinda dumb that most of India is ran by nudists in the 867 start. Pretty sure only Jain monks do that, not the entire nobility.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
What the gently caress is this poo poo?!

One of my sons is going to take my capital most of my provinces and two kingdoms because he has a mercenary band with two soldiers? I can't plot to kill him or imprison him or anything?

EDIT: Ok, fixed it by removing male preference from those kingdoms... which I could have sworn I did earlier.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm pretty sure I should have unlocked the "Give the Dog a Bone" achievement already. I got a ton of Dynasty members, I'm King of Italy, I founded the Knight Templars...

What could be wrong? Anyone else get it?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm pretty sure I should have unlocked the "Give the Dog a Bone" achievement already. I got a ton of Dynasty members, I'm King of Italy, I founded the Knight Templars...

Achievements that require a specific start are currently bugged and can't be completed

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Traxis posted:

Achievements that require a specific start are currently bugged and can't be completed

AH!

That's hilarious.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You'd eventually run out of resources. You might only get a fraction of what a vassal makes, but they reinvest what they keep into themselves and build more structures in their settlements, increasing what you make over time. If you just flat out didn't make money then nothing would get upgraded and you'd get quickly outpaced by everyone else

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

AH!

That's Paradox

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

AH!

That's hilarious.

Supposedly they break when you exit the game, so they could potentially be completed if you never close the game or exit to the main menu. Not willing to test for myself tho lol.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I really hope the first expansion allows for more elaborate horse-trading.

"Goddammit you pissant duke I will give you the all the kingdom of Egypt just let me paint over Jerusalem!" or

"I'll gladly trade you Norway for a Dutch county today."

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

MonsieurChoc posted:

Start as X ruler achievements are bugged in that they don't unlock if you exit the game after the ruler dies but before completing the achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

The return of North Korea Mode

This is how to do high partition. Just designate your best son/daughter as preferred heir, then as soon as they inherit, let the bodies hit the floor to consolidate their reign