Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’ve placed a few orders from a selection of vendors to test the CC waters out. Depending on how this goes I would be interested in semi regular 2-4 person splits. I have a buddy that is usually game so two way splits that I would then cut up locally on my end would work for me too probably. Ideally I’d like to actually stick to a set budget which maybe this would help with?

I’m 100% putting the cart before the horse here but this is still new and exciting for me. I’ve found what I tend to like that’s available domestically so this is the new frontier. I also WFH every day as there hasn’t been any travel since March and things have been pretty slow so I am bored/have a lot of free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There's a handful of pretty simple ways to run this, and I guess the key rules are:
  • Take deposits beforehand
  • Limit the # of fivers you can get so you don't end up eating 3/4 of the second box if it's something popular
  • No quantities fewer than a single fiver

I maaaaaaaaaay be able to run something like this, but again probably closer to November now that I think about it for marriage reasons.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
If you are going to volunteer to buy boxes be prepped to eat the entire cost if someone decides to back out/poo poo happens.

When I ran splits I would only offer to buy enough stuff I was willing to take on by myself unless someone offered to throw cash down first.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh yeah, I've done enough freelancing to learn my mistakes.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

New topics, new post:

First, I think there's some merit to my thoughts on discount vs nondiscount online shops: these smokes from Atlantic Cigar are in SUBSTANTIALLY better shape than the ones I've gotten from Cigar Page. I got the same smokes from Atlantic as I got from CP last time, and they're in much better condition after sitting overnight.

That said, it's not a perfect comparison because:

The recharge propylene glycol liquid for my humidor jars has really helped out the humidor. We've got 3 fresh boxes in there. The bottom shelf is hovering around 58-60%, middle of the case is around 63%. They were way overdue.

Still thinking I'm gonna get the Cigar Oasis on the mid month paycheck. I'm feeling some nesting instincts as the autumn closes in!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
My nesting/winterization checklist had me looking at short smokes as well as some sort of temporary smoking structure I could create in my back yard. I think I will try the electric blanket idea first though as that seems more reasonable than a yurt. Although a smoking yurt would be pretty awesome.

I saw the auction you’re looking at NewFatMike because I was looking at them too but I’m going to stay strong and not hit the bid sites since I just placed a large order from the CC sites. Speaking of short smokes, now that I’m down the rabbit hole of CCs are these Cohiba Shorts at all worthwhile? They’re machine made but for $1.35... I have to restrain myself because I’m a moron.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 4, 2020

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
No they are not

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Trinidad shorts loving rule, though.

Yep, that's a nice hill to die on. I try to minimize how many of those I have because...I mean it's almost back to cigarettes lmao

Shorties, I'm a particular fan of Verocru No. 5s, Tatuaje Petite Cazadores, Surrogate Cracker Crumbs, Triunfador Petite Robustos, Por Larrañaga Petite Coronas, Partagas Shorts/Mille Fleurs, H. Upmann Half Corona, and I think that's about all I've got rn.

Also, check out a pipe? I had beginner's luck getting my first few bowls, but I'm back in the swing of things. I'm probably going to use it more this winter when I want a smoke but it's too cold or crummy to actually enjoy a pricier stick.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy

NewFatMike posted:

Shorties, I'm a particular fan of Verocru No. 5s,...

My absolute favorite domestically available short smoke.

Trinidad Reyes are great too, if you want to go the Cuban route.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
MF Le Bijou and LFD Air Bender both very good. I need to check out the LFD Double Ligero in a normal size and if I’m feeling wild maybe a Digger at some point.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The digger is a monster. I don’t think I would be able to take one on with my lack of nicotine tolerance.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

50 cabs of Verocru No. 5s for $135 ending in a half hour! Lot of 5, so go for it!

https://www.cigarauctioneer.com/tatuaje-havana-vi-verocu-no.-5-cigars/item-33707?auctionnum=4449264

They're some of my faves, and it looks like I'll be prowling auctioneer for a few months to scrimp. Had a friend need some help, and I wish I had infinite budget for local shops :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ugh, you really are the pied piper. I picked up a cab. I've been looking for a spicy petite corona to complement the Perdomo Champagne puritos we've been enjoying. I'm honestly pretty stoked about these.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A deal on those is like $200, and it's Tatuaje + Garcias, so a good time is pretty much guaranteed!

Any big plans for the weekend in thread? I'm finally going to replace a cast patio door handle after I cracked it a few weeks ago.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Cigar devil strikes again.

Anyone have cool plans for the long weekend? Having a small BBQ tomorrow gonna smoke a bunch of cigars I’m sure. Wish these drat CCs were getting here.

Edit: my bad trying to steal your thunder NFM, I was on a work happy hour and was too excited to call you cigar devil and didn’t read your whole message I guess haha.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 4, 2020

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

I'm in buttfuck WY for my SIL's wedding tomorrow.

I'm not crazy about having traveled with my wife and 5yo in a pandemic, and I'm especially not crazy about how casual everyone is being wrt masks and social distancing up here. But hey, the rehearsal dinner is in 30 minutes, and outdoors so I may have my first cigar in quite a while tonight. Thay should make people keep their distance, right?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

A cigar is like a built-in COVID barrier, I like it.

NewFatMike posted:

A deal on those is like $200, and it's Tatuaje + Garcias, so a good time is pretty much guaranteed!

Oh yeah, I'm definitely excited. The Garcias have never steered me wrong yet.

NewFatMike posted:

Any big plans for the weekend in thread? I'm finally going to replace a cast patio door handle after I cracked it a few weeks ago.

Lyon posted:

Anyone have cool plans for the long weekend? Having a small BBQ tomorrow gonna smoke a bunch of cigars I’m sure. Wish these drat CCs were getting here.

My dad is coming to visit this weekend. He lives in a small town in the foothills and has been pretty isolated and is going stir crazy. Luckily he has his van kitted out to be a fairly comfortable place to sleep, so we'll be able to spend the weekend sitting on the deck and going for a few walks, and mitigate a lot of the COVID anxieties. I've been introducing him to cigars, which he'd never smoked, so I imagine we'll spend a good amount of time sitting outside and bullshitting while having a few smokes. Should be a nice chill weekend.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have to work this Saturday but Sunday and Monday I’ll be doing dad stuff with my kids. I have to find some time to BBQ as well but I’m not sure what to cook yet.

Maybe a cigar if I can get an hour or two at night.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Smoked a Zino platinum Z crown chubby tonight. Got it from the Small batch cigar monthly club a while back. Not a bad smoke, but holy LOL at the price. Certainly not better than just about anything around $7.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

loving lol that's so much money. What are some sticks that people have smoked that they've felt are totally worth it at the like $40+ range?

Smoked a Romeo 505 toro tonight. My buddies tried it earlier in the week and were so-so on it, but I was really into it. Super spicy the whole way through, very chewy and meaty. Gonna see about trying it in the robusto too, since the toro was just a touch more cigar than I'd want on a lot of occasions, and I think the robusto would be perfect. Still a great smoke, looking forward to my next one.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The padron anniversario arengenerally worth the price of admission.

I’ve spent 25+ on some Cuban regionals/EL which were worth it. Specifically these:

https://halfwheel.com/bolivar-armonia-er-china-2008/102788/

I paid 30$/ea for these in the early 2010s and they are still my favorite Cuban cigars. I have two left and I need to smoke them soon.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kenning posted:

loving lol that's so much money. What are some sticks that people have smoked that they've felt are totally worth it at the like $40+ range?

I got a Davidoff Year of the Rat to celebrate my new job in January and it's not that it wasn't good for the price, it was really shoddily made. I've got a chip on my shoulder about Davidoff anyway.

I'm rarely in the $40+ range. I was gifted a Montecristo Linea Dumas 1935 which is probably closer to $30/stick if you buy individually. Haven't smoked it yet, so I'll let the thread know when I do :v:

I've had loads of sticks at $20+ that were NOT worth the price of admission though lmao. Luckily it seems that there's a preponderance of good cigars over bad ones at a given price point.

Relatedly, the budget cigar times are turning out to be kinda fun. Cigar Auctioneer is an interesting way to find good gets on stuff I'm interested in and nobody else is.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Relatedly, the budget cigar times are turning out to be kinda fun. Cigar Auctioneer is an interesting way to find good gets on stuff I'm interested in and nobody else is.

I find volumes are way lower and that people mostly bid on weird things on CigarAuctioneer compared to CigarBid. You can absolutely scoop some good sticks there pretty easily. The only things that I see constantly being fought over are the Tatuaje Lancero Sampler and the Tatuaje Skinny Monsters sampler. My Father/DPG, LFD, Illusione, and Crowned Heads stuff seems like the best brands that don’t see a ton of competition as long as you’re willing to wait until next week if someone does raise the bid. There is usually a ton of Perdomo, Rocky Patel, CAO, Oliva (especially stuff like Cain, Nubs, Inferno, etc) at the mid range. I’ve been avoiding CigarAuctioneer and CigarBid for the last few weeks and am impatiently waiting for my CC orders to arrive.

Of course, as I say that, I see the new CI catalog and the front cover is a $10 La Aroma de Cuba upgrade with a box purchase. I had been eyeing a box of LAdC already on CigarAuctioneer but the CI prices are pretty good and I do need an ashtray...

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ooh nice! I knew I was forgetting a site. I'll be prowling around on there - I'm really psyched to pick up some La Aurora Preferidos in non tubo formats.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
When I was going through my boxes for unpacking the house I found my Hotel National humidor from Cuba a goon (sorry if I forgot who) got me on their trip to Cuba. I loving love this ashtray.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 5, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
CDX was his name. I just got passed that segment and you selling off all of your cigars hah.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

If you are in need of an ashtray troll your local junk and antique shops. I got a very nice, heavy cut glass ashtray for $5 years ago with six cuts big enough for up to a 60 ring cigar. Used it for years, until it disappeared in a move.

Now I have a nub ashtray I got with a sampler and jumbo punch cutter in a raffle.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Found time to start up a santos Salomon custom roll I picked up in Toronto a while back. Pretty good so far lots of raisins.

E: I should have bought more

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 6, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ooh hell yeah! Nothing like that raisiny fermented tobacco flavor.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Romeo 505 is really crushing it today. Spicy, meaty, leathery. There's some really good contrasting sweetness that pops in every once in a while. Develops some really great salt as it moves along. If you let it rest, cream is there before regaining its spice in a few puffs.

It's really complex and flavors shift regularly throughout. I'm not a big regular Romeo y Julieta fan, but the ROMEO line has been rather good throughout. I probably only like the Añejo more, but that's tougher to come by.

If My Father spice is a little much for you, but you like the profiles, this is a great way to go.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m going to the shop near my parents’ today and I don’t even know what I’m going to buy. The last time I bought something non-Cuban was 2010 (I think)

E: not a humble brag I honestly have no idea what’s good anymore because I have been out of cigars for a long time.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 6, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

I’m going to the shop near my parents’ today and I don’t even know what I’m going to buy. The last time I bought something non-Cuban was 2010 (I think)

E: not a humble brag I honestly have no idea what’s good anymore because I have been out of cigars for a long time.

I don’t think too much has changed which is possibly both good and bad. You could snag any of the DPG/My Father lines you never tried. Crowned Heads has some really good stuff if you never tried them. Crowned Heads is much more in your face, not sure how to describe it exactly, maybe more intense versus well balanced and subtle? They wouldn’t be something I would smoke every day but they are definitely fun. EPC La Historia and Encore were good, I think I liked La Historia more but Encore was cigar of the year in 2018? I think. Aging Room Quattro original or Nicaragua, the latter won cigar of the year in 2019.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

What profiles do you like most, @Ophidian?

Might be worth checking out the last few IPCPR headliners. The last seven years or so have been a pretty massive explosion in available profiles.

I think you might enjoy the Tatuaje Miami Noellas if you haven't had them before. They are exceptionally well executed.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I remembered why I stopped buying NCs in New Jersey. For the cost of a hdm Excalibur I could get a montecristo no2 and have change left over.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ah, solidarity from Chicago. :negative:

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I could just order them online but at that point I’m buying CCs.

Anyway I got a Leaf by Oscar CT TORO (my cousins recommendation), the aging room Quattro Nicaragua and a MF El Centurion H-2K-CT big boy (they didn’t have the corona... sadness)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Those are probably some extremely solid choices, that sounds great.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The price though... tough pill to swallow. That and seeing the NC partagas brand totally copying the PSD4 Cuban label made me sad.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

What did each one run you? I have very little sense for retail prices on anything but a count brands, since basically all of my exploration has been online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I really like all three of those cigars.

At my B&M in PA the Leaf by Oscar are all $10, never seen the El Centurion H-2K-CT but that would probably be $12 for the Toro, and the Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua Maestro is $12 iirc. I’d say just about anything worth smoking is in the $8-12 range at my shop excluding small sticks like the Short Story or Verocu No. 5. I usually go there every other week and end up with three cigars for ~$30. Last week I got the MF Fonseca, Leaf Corojo, and something I can’t remember right now for $28 and change.

B&M is crazy expensive compared to online but sometimes it’s nice to get out of the house and spending some money at a local business feels better or something.