Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Yeah, a lot of groups embed their name in the metadata's title field rather than the actual title of the show/movie, and VLC happily slaps that right up on the screen if you have the OSD enabled. Certainly none of my TV shows ever display "EVO" at the beginning of every episode. *cough* If you're in the mood, changing that info to the right stuff in an MKV file can be done easily with the Header Editor function in MKVToolnix. That program is also wonderful for re-re-muxing files to strip out any audio and subtitle tracks you might not want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I've got a weird Sonarr issue with the calendar not showing upcoming showtimes for some shows. I’m running version 2.0.0.5344 on Win10.

I added a series last week, and it added without issue.

The series exists on the tvdb and it has projected show times.

However the first airing came and went the show did not show in the calendar. I was able to do an autosearch and get the episode but the upcoming show time (for Saturday) but the show still does not appear in the calendar.

I’ve tried toggling monitoring, restarting Sonarr, and rebooting with no joy. There’s nothing in the logs, because it’s taking no action.

Any ideas?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone on Sonarr (v3 only perhaps) finding their usenet nzb provider API isn't returning results for a show, but if you do a search on the site by hand it comes up fine? I've seen it every so often in the past, but a few times this week I've added a show with episodes that have aired and done a scan and it's grabbed from torrents instead, despite being further down the chain because it can't see anything. It's weird.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone on Sonarr (v3 only perhaps) finding their usenet nzb provider API isn't returning results for a show, but if you do a search on the site by hand it comes up fine? I've seen it every so often in the past, but a few times this week I've added a show with episodes that have aired and done a scan and it's grabbed from torrents instead, despite being further down the chain because it can't see anything. It's weird.

If it's specifically 4K stuff, you probably don't have the 4K category added in Sonarr. Otherwise, maybe you're out of your daily allotted API calls?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If it's specifically 4K stuff, you probably don't have the 4K category added in Sonarr. Otherwise, maybe you're out of your daily allotted API calls?

It's not 4K stuff (but I do have that category added after realizing it needed to be done by hand), but good point about the API calls... alas I just checked and I'm waaaaaaaay under... 140/1000 hits and 15/1000 adds. And I can check other things fine afterwards, it just seems to be *some* things. I need to work out what they have in common I think, and I'll make a note about which shows it is and see if it resolves or not after some time has passed. The ones I looked at today were a few days old, so won't be down to lag or anything.

e: think I've found it, in the indexer they don't have a 'View Series' option for these files whereas most things do. I'm guessing that's something that uses the TVDB identifier and that Sonarr relies on it to match the property. At least it means it's not something on my side at least, and it's not going to occur super often and I just got unlucky a few times this week.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 4, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Acid Reflux posted:

Yeah, a lot of groups embed their name in the metadata's title field rather than the actual title of the show/movie, and VLC happily slaps that right up on the screen if you have the OSD enabled. Certainly none of my TV shows ever display "EVO" at the beginning of every episode. *cough* If you're in the mood, changing that info to the right stuff in an MKV file can be done easily with the Header Editor function in MKVToolnix. That program is also wonderful for re-re-muxing files to strip out any audio and subtitle tracks you might not want.

Is this why some of my ISOs randomly don't get renamed properly when they display in Plex? Most things are fine, "The ISO", "The ISO 2: The Reckoning" etc. But then every once in a while I'll add one and it will come up "The.ISO.3.-.Electric.Boogaloo.(2018)[ISO_TEAM].iso" and I'll have to go rename it by hand.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep. A pain, but at least I don't usually grab releases by the groups that do that and if I do I do them in batches and remove them before import.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Given that the OP is from 8 years ago, I assume that some of the stuff is out of date. Are there are different recommendations for what you use nowadays?

I know literally nothing about usenet but wanted to give it a try.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Same ol, sonar sab and multiple Usenet providers from different networks.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

It looks like neither Sonarr or Radarr are going to be very relevant to me.

Is there an equivalent for software releases?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
No, just use sab or nzbget and find your content by hand on your chosen indexer

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

everythingWasBees posted:

It looks like neither Sonarr or Radarr are going to be very relevant to me.

Is there an equivalent for software releases?

Not that I'm aware of. I would be extremely cautious about installing software from Usenet since anyone can tack on malware and post it.

Sonarr - TV Shows
Radarr - Movies
Bazarr - Subtitles
Lidarr - Music (Most people have had poor luck with this)
Mylar - Comics
Lazy Librarian - Books (Another one where people have had mixed results at best)
NZBHydra - Wrap all your indexers into one API app and have the above apps call that. Allows rate limits for API calls per indexer which can keep you from getting rate limited.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
It took me so long to set up Usenet that I forgot why I wanted it, so I haven't used it yet.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lidarr has been good to me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

everythingWasBees posted:

Given that the OP is from 8 years ago, I assume that some of the stuff is out of date. Are there are different recommendations for what you use nowadays?

I know literally nothing about usenet but wanted to give it a try.
I mean what exactly are you looking to use it for? Most commonly it's for TV/Movies as mentioned

You can manually search (either using NZBHydra2 or just individual Indexer sites) for software and it's pretty decent, but at the same time there isn't as much need when you can almost certainly use Torrents which is likely even better for software (or at least ability to only choose from verified/clean torrents whereas usenet would be unvetted and no way to read comments or w/e), and prob not gunna get dmca notices or whatever anyways.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

How's Astraweb these days?

They sent me an offer for a $2.99/mo unlimited plan for life right now (discounted from $15.00). I've been with Frugalnewsnet for years without any problems, but if Astraweb's good and reliable, I might wanna get a backup for that price.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I never had a problem aside from them not billing me, then eventually closing my account... But it was good many months of free Usenet from Astra

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mcbexx posted:

How's Astraweb these days?

They sent me an offer for a $2.99/mo unlimited plan for life right now (discounted from $15.00). I've been with Frugalnewsnet for years without any problems, but if Astraweb's good and reliable, I might wanna get a backup for that price.

ive been using astraweb with blocknews for backup for years. apparently they're both hw media these days (maybe always?), so that's kind of useless, but i've never had a problem with astraweb. i remember seeing lots of files that were broken due to dmca takedowns a while ago, but i haven't seen that in a while. i have no idea if this is because fewer requests are being generated, they're not honoring them (seems unlikely), or my usage patterns have changed. i strongly suspect the latter, because my usage patterns have indeed changed quite a bit over the past few years

i had always purchased blocks before 'cause it was cheaper that way with my usage patterns, but the $3/mo deal made me upgrade to the unlimited plan. $36/year in perpetuity is pretty dang good.

how's your frugalusenet/usenet.farm experience? i'm in their free trial right now, and if it ends up being useful i'll probably grab a block

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Achmed Jones posted:

how's your frugalusenet/usenet.farm experience? i'm in their free trial right now, and if it ends up being useful i'll probably grab a block

I've been on the annual $50 unlimited plan since 2011 (back then it was $60 I think) and it's super smooth sailing. Never had an issue as far as I remember. Full speed (550Mbit on my end), 3000 days retention, multiple servers... actually really no reason to get a backup, but a "just in case" for $36/year is tempting.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Black Friday is just over 2 months away. I'd wait if you can. I got my Usenetserver $20 unlimited annual a couple of years ago that way. I'd reckon to say I get 95% of everything I want.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Still active as of yesterday

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

mcbexx posted:

I've been on the annual $50 unlimited plan since 2011 (back then it was $60 I think) and it's super smooth sailing. Never had an issue as far as I remember. Full speed (550Mbit on my end), 3000 days retention, multiple servers... actually really no reason to get a backup, but a "just in case" for $36/year is tempting.

Astraweb and Frugal are the same backbone. The only thing you'd be getting by adding an Astraweb account is access to things that are 3000+ days old. You could add a 2TB block from Newsdemon for $15 to accomplish the same thing.

If you're happy with Frugal, you can save $10 by switching to this $40/year plan. It includes a 300GB block from blocknews, so you wouldn't need that Newsdemon block. If you message their support they might switch you over right now.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Astraweb just sent me that offer and it's apparently limited to 1TB a month. Another reason not to get it.

edit: weird, they sent me an earlier one that said unlimited but this one says 1000GB

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sedative fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 9, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

Still active as of yesterday

Still trying to nail down exactly how backbones work in my mind: NewsHosting is on Highwinds, which also gets resold to Frugal, so there's no benefit to having both, right? Aside from redundancy if an entire service were to go down, but that sounds like a pretty slight edge-case. Could even that still be worth it for 20bux a year or is it literally redundant search results?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

Still trying to nail down exactly how backbones work in my mind: NewsHosting is on Highwinds, which also gets resold to Frugal, so there's no benefit to having both, right? Aside from redundancy if an entire service were to go down, but that sounds like a pretty slight edge-case. Could even that still be worth it for 20bux a year or is it literally redundant search results?

Newshosting and Frugal give you access to the same exact articles on the same exact servers. If a file isn't available on Frugal it won't be on Newshosting. The only big difference between the two is that Frugal is limited to 3000 days while Newshosting has the full 4400 days. Frugal does also give you 1TB a month from usenet.farm as a bonus.

Use one or the other, but there's no need for both

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
I recommend everyone get Eweka immediately. Was having a lot of takedown issues lately for TV, and now I'm at 100%.

https://www.eweka.nl/en/landing/special-usenet-deal

Definitely worth having an unlimited speed like ND then Eweka as a secondary.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the heads up, this is one I had been watching out for a sale to get a non-Highwinds non-US source in the mix.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I have newsDemon as my primary and a bunch of TB blocks from NewsGroupDirect as a backup. Anything else I might wanna add as a secondary/tertiary?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Back in May, I had to reissue my credit card due to fraud, and Astraweb sent me an email that the old card didn't work but no worries - just sign up again for $3.99 a mo! It's not as good as a price as sedative's offer but it's unlimited.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Greatest Living Man posted:

I recommend everyone get Eweka immediately. Was having a lot of takedown issues lately for TV, and now I'm at 100%.

https://www.eweka.nl/en/landing/special-usenet-deal

Definitely worth having an unlimited speed like ND then Eweka as a secondary.

doing this cause it's 69% off

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The 300mbs number accurate? I'd be interested at that price but not if I can't saturate my 500 mbit connection.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

The 300mbs number accurate? I'd be interested at that price but not if I can't saturate my 500 mbit connection.

Yes. They do have a bunch of stuff others dont, I just ended up getting it plus newsdemon and run them both at the same time to saturate and have completion.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Im super late responding, but thanks for the info! much appreciated

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm a touch concerned. Even if I have Newsdemon and Newshosting both as level 0 servers in NZBGet, I'm still only getting 45MB/s on a 1gbps connection. That download destination is an SSD as well.

Any idea where I should start looking for issues?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I get 95MB/sec on a gigabit with Newshosting most of the time, US server on port 563 SSL with 50 connections. Could be the route to your ISP, could be the ISP traffic shaping etc. there’s just a lot of factors.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Despite it being on dual xeons with most of 24gb ram available, I'll run through NZBGet performance tips later to tweak it. Does anyone actually change their cypher?

Should have mentioned I'm using the linixserver.io docker image on Unraid

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Heners_UK posted:

Despite it being on dual xeons with most of 24gb ram available, I'll run through NZBGet performance tips later to tweak it. Does anyone actually change their cypher?

Should have mentioned I'm using the linixserver.io docker image on Unraid

Are you using a SSD cache? Write speed on unraid is Not Great.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Certainly am!

But I'm discovering the supported ciphers in openssl are leaving something to be desired. No RC4-MD5 for instance.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Are your dual xeons old enough to not support aes instructions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Ah poo poo, forgot I'd been discussing dual xeons servers at work all week and mixed it up with home. I'm practically begging for change on a street corner with a single Xeon at home.

It's a Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz and it does support Intel® AES-NI.