Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm new and confused about something. In the tutorial game I conquered the petty kingdom to the NW of me and then gifted the Earl title to my nephew. Now it says I'm second in line to inherit the title. Aren't I the ruler? Why would I need to be second in line? Should I not give that away?

Also I had a guy visiting my court that said Useful County Claim. I don't know how to make that useful though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Traxis posted:

No you can definitely change lifestyles.

How? I've tried at several points. One of those unintentionally hidden UI things?

Just in case I'm mixing up my terminology I mean I thought you couldn't change between one of the five trees once you picked one or else like I said I've never figured out or seen how. The three options for each one of the former I know you can change once every five years

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

So I'm working my way through Tutorial Island, and I'm wondering how to best organize my titles and family. Everything inside my capital's duchy I own personally, and everything outside of it I've been granting a single county each to a new vassal. So far, all of my new vassals have been close family members, and often my council members. My goal is to have nice pretty stable clean de jure borders: I want to end up a king who personally owns all of a duchy, and my direct vassals are dukes of a single duchy with their capital in the de jure capital, who have under them counts of a single county, so that power isn't centralized enough for anyone to become a threat. I'm imagining that I'm just being a noob and this is all going to explode horribly as soon as I die and succession happens :v: Is this the gist of what I want to do? Do I want my vassals to be my family members, or does that make them more of a threat, and I should be using non-family members? So far I've made sure all my new vassals that I hand titles out to don't have any land or claims.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

How? I've tried at several points. One of those unintentionally hidden UI things?

Just in case I'm mixing up my terminology I mean I thought you couldn't change between one of the five trees once you picked one or else like I said I've never figured out or seen how. The three options for each one of the former I know you can change once every five years

Once the cooldown is up just click the icon for a different lifestyle at the top of the screen and select a focus from the new tree.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I think I got so caught up in creating de jure duchies for Ireland and Wales and handing titles out that I screwed myself for a generation or two. I had just two of my 5 or 6 holdings, and then the Scots took Dublin so I went down to 1. I keep struggling in wars because I guess you need holdings for levies and taxes? I assumed like an idiot that having powerful (but we'll balanced against each other!) vassals would be an asset in wars. They mostly just fight each other. :mad: Do vassals only contribute directly to wars if you're allied?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Traxis posted:

Once the cooldown is up just click the icon for a different lifestyle at the top of the screen and select a focus from the new tree.

:doh: jfc

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Do vassals only contribute directly to wars if you're allied?

It can get complicated once you have different tiers of titles but on a very basic level your vassals aren't obligated to help you out further than providing levies as their feudal obligation dictates yes.

You can, if you so choose to, marry your close family/direct descendants to your vassals or fellow vassals which then would in most cases allow you to call them into wars to help with their full military as you would a foreign ally through marriage.

As a weak Duke with a liege it can be incredibly helpful to pump out kids to marry to fellow (Count or peer level duke) vassals that are also under your common liege if you're going to attempt to take a crown or even just to knock over a fellow vassal Duke's demesne to take for yourself.

Just be aware that alliances whether through marriage or negotiation with foreign vassals can't be called in if the war target is their de jure liege.

Eta: so don't go wasting your bloodline trying to marry off everyone to some rear end in a top hat foreign king's vassals thinking they'll support you if you declare a bid for one of their titles, that is

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 6, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I think I got so caught up in creating de jure duchies for Ireland and Wales and handing titles out that I screwed myself for a generation or two. I had just two of my 5 or 6 holdings, and then the Scots took Dublin so I went down to 1. I keep struggling in wars because I guess you need holdings for levies and taxes? I assumed like an idiot that having powerful (but we'll balanced against each other!) vassals would be an asset in wars. They mostly just fight each other. :mad: Do vassals only contribute directly to wars if you're allied?

Your own vassals will never join in directly in your wars (at least as far as I'm aware), even when allied, except for on crusades/great holy wars (and even then only if they join independently). They contribute a % of their levies and that's it. Allying with a vassal means they cannot join factions against you, but you also can't revoke their titles.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Just reformed the Asatru religion as Haraldr Fairhair. A few notes about that process:

- Resetting my perks so I can branch into the Prophet perk cost more stress than it said in the tooltip. Perhaps the listed cost is modified by your whole of body stress reductions while the actual cost is without them. Still, kinda lame that it's different. I planned the reset so I wouldn't get a mental break, but I got one anyway.
- Reforming the faith cost less than it said it would. Was supposed to cost 5050 piety, but it cost something like 4800. Not sure why. I'll take the free piety I guess.
- Your vassals will be given the chance to convert, which auto-converts their land. But the vassals of your vassals do not appear to be given that chance. So none of the counts under my duke vassals converted, making that 20 of 22 vassals converting much less impressive than it first appeared. Also, only your capital and your converting vassals' capitals will convert.
- I switched from concubines to full polygamy, and the game just made me drop my concubines entirely instead of making them proper wives. Not sure what I was expecting, and I suppose this makes sense (wives are a much bigger deal than concubines), but I have a million characters in my court and I'm never finding my former concubines lmao. On a similar note, the "child of concubine" trait sticks around. I guess because, again, wives are a bigger deal.
- Be ready for some succession upheaval if you switch to full Equality. It sorta slipped my mind that my meticulously managed line of succession would be potentially thrown into disarray by the change. Thankfully only one new character entered the mix.

One more fun tidbit I just learned:

- Temporal Head of Faith is worthless if you're elective. Turns out your "primary heir" is not the same thing as your "player heir"! So the heard of faith will be passed down to your top heir according to your realm law, which differs from your title laws. I thought the entire idea behind those doctrines was so you could always play as the head of faith, but I guess not.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

KingKapalone posted:

I'm new and confused about something. In the tutorial game I conquered the petty kingdom to the NW of me and then gifted the Earl title to my nephew. Now it says I'm second in line to inherit the title. Aren't I the ruler? Why would I need to be second in line? Should I not give that away?

Also I had a guy visiting my court that said Useful County Claim. I don't know how to make that useful though...

It means because your nephew does not have a heir, it defaults to his liege (i.e. you). If he dies the title goes back to you or once he gets a heir you will be third in-line. You no longer have that title or the ruler of the province. Now you are the ruler over him so you have a contract that forces him do some things (i.e. gives you a piece of his levies and income)

Now you are "limited" by the number of holdings (i.e. count level titles) you can directly hold until you start getting some bad negative modifies on taxes and levies. This is your domain limit in the upper right.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

As always, swearing fealty to a king and then parasitizing his kingdom from the inside out is always the best part of Crusader Kings. I bent the knee as a lonely one province count and started eating up the weakest vassals around me. I seduced the Queen and got her to support a plot to merc her husband. When he died, partition split his desmene up, leading to even easier pickings. Then I kidnapped his daughter, the new ruler, and forced her to hand me over her titles. Within one generation I basically took over from the inside and made every top vassal my blood relative, I'm pretty sure the daughter I kidnapped was actually my secret bastard even.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

One more fun tidbit I just learned:

- Temporal Head of Faith is worthless if you're elective. Turns out your "primary heir" is not the same thing as your "player heir"! So the heard of faith will be passed down to your top heir according to your realm law, which differs from your title laws. I thought the entire idea behind those doctrines was so you could always play as the head of faith, but I guess not.

The same applies to house heads btw, though you can re-assert yourself as the dynasty head by making cadet branches (if you're not tribal anyway).

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
Does anyone else feel like the AI doesn't value upgrading castle holdings at all? Looking around my map in 1400 and there are almost no castles upgraded to level 4 -- even in places that have had the technology unlocked for decades. Most buildings within the holdings are level 3 or lower (mostly level 1). Cities and temple upgrade levels look a lot more like what I would expect.

Here's a random example of what I'm talking about -- the Dundarid empire has existed for over 200 years in my game, and this is the capital county:

Meanwhile here's the city in the same county:

This is pretty much the same all over the map. They also don't seem to value building out the holding slots in their counties either.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 6, 2020

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

HiroProtagonist posted:

It can get complicated once you have different tiers of titles but on a very basic level your vassals aren't obligated to help you out further than providing levies as their feudal obligation dictates yes.

You can, if you so choose to, marry your close family/direct descendants to your vassals or fellow vassals which then would in most cases allow you to call them into wars to help with their full military as you would a foreign ally through marriage.

As a weak Duke with a liege it can be incredibly helpful to pump out kids to marry to fellow (Count or peer level duke) vassals that are also under your common liege if you're going to attempt to take a crown or even just to knock over a fellow vassal Duke's demesne to take for yourself.

Just be aware that alliances whether through marriage or negotiation with foreign vassals can't be called in if the war target is their de jure liege.

Eta: so don't go wasting your bloodline trying to marry off everyone to some rear end in a top hat foreign king's vassals thinking they'll support you if you declare a bid for one of their titles, that is

I was definitely favoring foreign marriages to avoid giving powerful vassals claims on the throne.

At this point I'm king of Ireland (minus Dublin) and Wales (minus just one county), with marriages tying me to the throne in England and Normandy, so that's . I did successfully strip one powerful vassal, a distant relative, of his duchy to give it to my third son. So now my two youngest sons are dukes, and the oldest should inherit both crowns when I die because I have partition succession. But I'm guessing my three sons won't automatically be full allies when the oldest becomes king? If so, it seems like giving a title to each son screws my heir over, because he can't marry into those families to secure alliances. Whoops!

E:

Magil Zeal posted:

Your own vassals will never join in directly in your wars (at least as far as I'm aware), even when allied, except for on crusades/great holy wars (and even then only if they join independently). They contribute a % of their levies and that's it. Allying with a vassal means they cannot join factions against you, but you also can't revoke their titles.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure when I made my son a duke, I was at war with Denmark and he raised a small army to attack them once our alliance was sealed? Either way, am I right that I'll get more taxes and levies if I have more personal holdings? Like there's no middleman, even if it would be a friendly middleman, so more for me? I feel dumb for giving away all my best holdings and leaving none for myself.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 6, 2020

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Speaking of parasitizing things from the inside, I take it there's no longer any way to vassalise the Pope any more/yet?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone else noticed your courtiers are really keen on assassinating your court physician for some reason?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They probably piss them off when they fail to treat them properly.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Alright I did it, I made the Duchy of the Finn Doms

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone else noticed your courtiers are really keen on assassinating your court physician for some reason?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The first thing on the checklist was selecting a Court Physician, I picked the most expensive option and then I also made her my concubine. Then uh apparently my other children were also super ill for some reason and when I did the safe treatment the first one got mutilated, and when I didn't punish the physician for that the next one died :stare:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Anyone figured out how to activate Greco-Roman Paganism in this one, now that a Monemvasia start is no longer an option?

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Man the secrets and hooks system is exactly what CK needed. I love all the different ways you can learn secrets, the types of secrets there are, etc.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kyle Hyde posted:

Man the secrets and hooks system is exactly what CK needed. I love all the different ways you can learn secrets, the types of secrets there are, etc.
All I know is that dumbass kings nowhere near me constantly banging things and me finding out is what paid for me to create the empire of france

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Just dropping in to say Mathilda of Tuscany is really fun.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Things found written on bathroom walls

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Broke down and bought it, played an hour and half. Dabbled with the tutorial to get a handle on the UI and then started a game as Morcar, Duke of Deria.

Went to the arrange marriage screen, and the first two candidates on the list are Harald Hardrad's daughters. Given the situation and the fact that the war for England is one of the main starting scenarios, you'd think there would be a special event for the situation were an Anglo-Saxon vassal marries one of them. A chance to betray King Harold, or stab you're new father in law in the back.

The graphics are great. Some of the UI has significantly improved, but there are several map modes that I am missing a lot, the vassal map especially. I used that one a ton.

Also, is there a way to zoom in or out without using the mouse wheel? Mine is glitchy.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tetramin posted:

Could anyone give a quick rundown of playing as a tiny single county count? Lol I’m finding myself lost starting out with 50 gold etc. I suppose do good marriages for allies, try and build up my castle, make friends and go from there? Try to grab another county when I can?
Play the Count of Vermandios in 1066. You are last Karling ruler and have immense prestige.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh wow the Adamites actually have basis in the historical record?

That's my #1 fact learned from this Paradox game so far, there's usually a bunch for each

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh wow the Adamites actually have basis in the historical record?

That's my #1 fact learned from this Paradox game so far, there's usually a bunch for each

My favorite weird historical thing that popped up in CK2 was the band of Christians who would approach guards of trade caravans with bags and sticks, hoping the guards would attack them and kill them, making them martyrs. In the game it was a passing reference as some weird poo poo happening in the woods and you don't really do anything about it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Kestral posted:

Anyone figured out how to activate Greco-Roman Paganism in this one, now that a Monemvasia start is no longer an option?

You can convert to any faith you like in the game by selecting it from the "other faiths" list on the religion menu and hitting the convert button. The problem with Greco-Roman is that you have to pay piety to convert, and the amount you pay is adjusted by how different the new religion is from your old faith, and Christian faiths are very, very different from Hellenism. So what you want to do is create a new faith with as many features of Greco-Roman as you can afford, and convert to that. Then your next character ought to do the same, and the next, and so on, until eventually you're corrupted your old faith into being Greco-Roman except for the name. Eventually the cost to go Greco-Roman will be cheap enough that you can bridge the gap.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
have we figured out education yet?

I sent four kids off as wards to foreign rulers with insane stats that matched the education focus, and they call came back decidedly mediocre.

Is it maybe better to find a "genius", even if the traits don't match?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Finally finished a CK game. Played my tutorial game as Ireland to Alba to the end.

Probably could've map painted a lot more if I was inclined, but my goals were basically Britannia, custom faith, then conquer France. The Hispania blob is sorta my doing, I conquered all of Spain and released it as an independent empire, then it just took a big bite out of Africa. The Seljuks, though, I had nothing to do with. That blobbing is 100% natural. Game is really great, though I do kinda miss the scripted stuff. The only encounter with the Bubonic Plague was like one person in my prison catching it, and me releasing them and never seeing it again. Genghis Khan never went anywhere. I think they need to do something to make the Seljuk dynasty not so damned strong in the 1066 start, it has a ridiculous amount of living members and was the only other power on the map with army power to rival mine.

The Pope was pretty enthusiastic about calling crusader after crusade, until I beat the one aimed at me after I converted away from Catholicism. Then the last hundred and change years went by without any more crusades, and Catholicism just dwindled until it barely had as many counties as my own faith and Bogomilism, which spread throughout the Byzantines until they started to collapse later in the game. Various Islamic faiths are still strong in the south, but I don't think any pagan faiths managed to reform, not even one of the African faiths that seemed to control enough holy sites to do so.

Next I think I need to try something tribal and pagan to see how that goes. I imagine it'll be a rougher ride.

fuf posted:

have we figured out education yet?

I sent four kids off as wards to foreign rulers with insane stats that matched the education focus, and they call came back decidedly mediocre.

Is it maybe better to find a "genius", even if the traits don't match?

I've heard it may be based primarily on Learning, but I've had the best results just doing the educating myself. I did take the Kin dynastic legacy to give better results from education though, and spouse events can fire to improve it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have been thinking about how tribes going feudal means destroying every building and men-at-arms switching to gold payment... Do I just build a couple decades' worth of gold to start rebuilding and maintaining the retinue before doing that decision when it comes?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Charlz Guybon posted:

Also, is there a way to zoom in or out without using the mouse wheel? Mine is glitchy.

Page up/down.

fuf posted:

I am not sure stats matter, and even if they do they're much less important than educational level and traits - always pick a four star educator if you can. If you have a learning focus you can get the pedagogy perk, making you a better tutor as well.

Bob the terrible
Aug 9, 2006
I had problems with the King of France having high realm authority and forbidding his vassals from declaring war on each other. I could not get enouth of my fellow vassals to support my liberty faction, and I could not find a way to get a hook on my liege.
But then i found out i could modify my vassal agreement by agreeing to pay more taxes in exchange for the right to declare war inside the realm!
That made things so much easier!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

My son is a horrible failure at everything but at least I'm setting his son up to take claim via marriage to the last earldom in Ireland to have the island totally under my control. The current Earl just needs to have an unfortunate walk in the woods.

I'm also dutifully ignoring what I'm referring to as the Looming Norway Issue but these things happen. I'm sure it'll go away on its own.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

So if I've reformed my faith to be pro-cannibal, how do you start cannibalizing? Asking for a friend.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm gonna try this out on Game Pass. If I like it, do I have to buy it from Game Pass to keep my save data? If I do, will it show up in my Steam library too?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

blue squares posted:

I'm gonna try this out on Game Pass. If I like it, do I have to buy it from Game Pass to keep my save data? If I do, will it show up in my Steam library too?

You'd have to buy it on gamepass to keep the save data, I'm pretty sure. I guess you might be able to find where the saves are in the files and paste them over if you bought it on Steam?

Xbox app is it's own store so it won't go in your steam library.

Might be worth trying in gamepass and then, if you like it and want it on Steam, buy it there after you've finished with your campaign on gamepass so losing the saves doesn't matter. Most people don't play to the end. I've just finished conquering Britain as Ireland and now I'm going to start as someone new and probably won't touch those old saves again.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Meet my mutant-modded immortal possessed evil albino royal family.

Big guy has also founded a death-sex cult with 16 doctrines crammed in there, swapping all the virtue and sin traits. I'm enjoying the third installment of this "sandbox to gently caress with medieval europe" series. I've even figured out how to mod in more nicknames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
So how does technological exposure works?

I'm trying to get Slavs out of tribal state. I'm the culture head. I have cultures in my realm of my religion and Vepsian culture. They have tech I don't have. But I only get a bonus from some Avars. I guess Avars have some Slavic lands under control. But even then I only get 1 tech bonus from them. Does it supposed to work that way - you only get 1 bonus from exposure at any given time, so the best tactic is to be fascinated with the stuff you're exposed to?