Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnzjqoSA8dk&t=854s

This part happened early in Alyx and it made me want to loving scream, it's barely shoulder height, and right next to you on the ramp is this loving pipe

that is so obviously something you should be able to use to climb across but no you HAVE to teleport across like you're loving nightcrawler aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This part felt like a loving troll. You have an easily climbable wall, a pipe to hang from, and a board you could use as a bridge, and the only solution is a super finicky teleport that is so easy to miss you can sit there for 5 minutes trying to figure out if one of the much cooler ways to get across works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lemming posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnzjqoSA8dk&t=854s

This part happened early in Alyx and it made me want to loving scream, it's barely shoulder height, and right next to you on the ramp is this loving pipe

that is so obviously something you should be able to use to climb across but no you HAVE to teleport across like you're loving nightcrawler aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I struggled to figure this out the first time I played because I was fresh off Boneworks and thought some sort of natural movement would be in order. Nope!

This is even more baffling considering the Boneworks devs worked in person with Valve engineers to help refine Boneworks with the Index.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Can you go further as to why you think that is? I don't think its such a big deal as you're making it out to be.

Well let's look at Half-Life: Alyx specifically for this; Everything is largely predicated on you remaining relatively still while upright or sitting. There's no way to physically mantle over a ledge (eg; every openable windowsill you're expected to "climb through") because it expects you to teleport through. Ditto for crouching under anything; Aim your teleport marker and pop through the wall. And the latter at least is weird considering you're supposed to go poking at every drawer and cupboard.

The level designs are all coached in the expectation that you cannot jump on your own and can only move vertically where the game very specifically wants you to be able to (Broad example; You can't jump a railing, you have to look for the gap), so they wind up feeling a lot more blatantly linear rather than like you're just in a section of a larger building or area as Half-Life 2 does. More generally; If you have jumping available as an option from the start when designing your levels, then you can backfill that much more easily with teleporting over gaps or up objects for accessibility rather than wind up a with a whole lot of flat level ground. (eg; Good old stacking crates for physics and platforming fun in VR). Ladders are also blatant "Teleport to this next section" points, because if you let go mid-climb you just pop up to the top arbitrarily.

Combat's also very rudimentary with the Civil Protection guards, because it's designed around a static player that needs to aim and jump between fixed locations rather than someone constantly on the move in a running gun battle (eg; They can't come flush you out beyond throwing a grenade that gives you time to teleport away from it, or the big heavy guards moving slooooowly so you can teleport around them in cover).

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay this is just flat not fair, you're just assuming all of this. Some of the very first VR experiences available, way back on the Oculus DK1 and DK2, were things like Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 ported to VR.

You're looking at the wrong data here; The DK1 and DK2 were a seated forward-facing experience and an expected comparison of taking a car ride motion-sickness-wise. The big fear of motion sickness came with the Vive popping into existence, with a full room-scale standing experience that nobody had conceived before and where Teleportation movement came into play as a fix.

Zaphod42 posted:

Try thinking about any of this from the perspective of someone actually working on a VR project. Its not that they thought it was insurmountable. It just takes time and money and with VR titles you're already working on a small install base size that limits your budgets.

Its like complaining that fallout isn't enough of a survival sim. Its a valid take and that's your opinion, but its just your opinion. Its not really a deficiency of the game, its just a different direction. Other games could satisfy that better maybe.

Half-Life Alyx is a game that's clearly a single planned scope which has been in development for a relatively long time without external influence, and it shows. It shows in the same way as Duke Nukem Forever is visibly rooted in gameplay and jokes that were written a decade prior to its final release date when everyone else had well and truly moved on, because that's when it was originally conceived and planned. That's not a slam against Half-Life Alyx's quality at all, just a general comparison of similar project timelines. The deficits in HL:Alyx are visible because there are several other game projects that have come and gone in the time since HL:Alyx presumably started and finally came out which dealt with the same issues in serviceable fashion, and the dev team's responses are largely "well we couldn't figure out a way to make it work internally :shrug:", or "players responded well to this idea we had and polished extensively from feedback coached only around making this idea work". For example; The crowbar; Boneworks, Blade and Sorcery, H3VR and GORN all have functional melee combat and been around for ages (It's definitely floaty in some cases, but not unworkable). Or two-handed guns; H3VR, Pavlov, Contractors, PayDay 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well let's look at Half-Life: Alyx specifically for this; Everything is largely predicated on you remaining relatively still while upright or sitting. There's no way to physically mantle over a ledge (eg; every openable windowsill you're expected to "climb through") because it expects you to teleport through. Ditto for crouching under anything; Aim your teleport marker and pop through the wall. And the latter at least is weird considering you're supposed to go poking at every drawer and cupboard.

Not exactly a great argument there.. I could totally see a developer who was making a purely smooth locomotion experience not want to handle the physics/movement of climbing through a window and just making it a teleport. Boneworks is the only game I know of that really does that stuff and its pretty janky in practice?

Not being able to crouch under things is unfortunate, but... seems like the thing they could totally retrofit easily if they cared enough. That's my point, that's not something you NEED to design for smooth first and then add teleport. If you design for teleport, you can add ducking later. Payday 2 supports both. That's more of a question of design though, again, its not as simple as just "they did teleport so they couldn't", its a question of development man-hours and comfort and whether they care enough or think enough customers care enough. :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Combat's also very rudimentary with the Civil Protection guards, because it's designed around a static player that needs to aim and jump between fixed locations rather than someone constantly on the move in a running gun battle (eg; They can't come flush you out beyond throwing a grenade that gives you time to teleport away from it, or the big heavy guards moving slooooowly so you can teleport around them in cover).

So, what if you design the guards to move really quick and require you to constantly run... then how do you make that work for people who can't run? Seems like the way they did it IS the way that supports both, rather than requiring one and making the other unworkable. Right? Its not like the game punishes you for running around more, and I explicitly remember the encounters with the lightning dogs did actually expect you to move around quite a drat bit which was almost cumbersome with teleports.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're looking at the wrong data here; The DK1 and DK2 were a seated forward-facing experience and an expected comparison of taking a car ride motion-sickness-wise. The big fear of motion sickness came with the Vive popping into existence, with a full room-scale standing experience that nobody had conceived before and where Teleportation movement came into play as a fix.

Games take time to make, man. The VIVE hitting and having games that are designed purely for roomscale releasing right away is just plain unrealistic.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Half-Life Alyx is a game that's clearly a single planned scope which has been in development for a relatively long time without external influence, and it shows. It shows in the same way as Duke Nukem Forever is visibly rooted in gameplay and jokes that were written a decade prior to its final release date when everyone else had well and truly moved on, because that's when it was originally conceived and planned. That's not a slam against Half-Life Alyx's quality at all, just a general comparison of similar project timelines. The deficits in HL:Alyx are visible because there are several other game projects that have come and gone in the time since HL:Alyx presumably started and finally came out which dealt with the same issues in serviceable fashion, and the dev team's responses are largely "well we couldn't figure out a way to make it work internally :shrug:", or "players responded well to this idea we had and polished extensively from feedback coached only around making this idea work". For example; The crowbar; Boneworks, Blade and Sorcery, H3VR and GORN all have functional melee combat and been around for ages (It's definitely floaty in some cases, but not unworkable). Or two-handed guns; H3VR, Pavlov, Contractors, PayDay 2.

Whaaaat

Again, Alyx may not be exactly the game you want. That's your opinion. But acting like the game has massive "deficits" is just crazy-talk to me. Its not nearly as objective as you're pretending.

Not having all those features doesn't make it an inferior game. Having a bunch of checkboxes doesn't make GOTY. Dude, comeon!

"Half-life 2 sucks compared to Halo because you can't dual wield. Its missing major FPS features!" I mean just think about something like that being said!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No one has written about Phantom: Covert Ops, right?

I played the first mission, and the graphics are good, the kayak controls are very well done, and overall the immersion factor feels high, thanks to these factors, the overall polish and the fact that what you do in real life (be seated) is what you are doing in the game world. It feels cool to paddle slowly to not be heard by a close guard, or snipe targets, or paddle like crazy running away of a incoming patrol boat.

That said, it's more a good immersive experience than a good game, you know? As a game, it feels very limited, it's a linear stealth game without many options. The main idea here, of making a stealth game of a situation that by nature is linear and constrained (most of the time you are in water channels that only go one way, or bigger areas where basically there are two paths) is just flawed at its core.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/599590/Volleyball_Fever/

Yay, or nay?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does Blade and Sorcery have memory problems? I managed to get about 40 minutes out of it before I had to refund because no matter what level I was in it started to become laggy and jittery after a few waves, and in VR that poo poo's no joke.

I did enjoy what I got to play though. Insanely funny and cool that yes, you will actually perform better at the game if you use real stances and swings like you've seen in Your Favourite Animes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/738520/view/2859177682400988291
Breathedge, that looks like to be 'Subnautica in space', it's aiming to support VR.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Pierson posted:

Does Blade and Sorcery have memory problems? I managed to get about 40 minutes out of it before I had to refund because no matter what level I was in it started to become laggy and jittery after a few waves, and in VR that poo poo's no joke.

I did enjoy what I got to play though. Insanely funny and cool that yes, you will actually perform better at the game if you use real stances and swings like you've seen in Your Favourite Animes.

I haven't played it but I've seen some videos and it does appear to have performance issues, especially on certain maps/too many NPCs at once. Optimization and AI are the two negative things I've heard about B&S.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Pierson posted:

I don't own blade and sorcery so I can't be helpful, but I can use this post as a segue! Anyone else found games where they're just not planning to do much with them till they can upgrade their computer? Boneworks is one for me :v:

(Alyx got me so bad with the fps-related motion sickness before I realized what was causing it that I legitimately thought I had the 'rona)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I feel like I'd be significantly less immersed playing Half-Life Alyx if I was evading the guards by nauseatingly gliding around the world rather than physically ducking and dodging around cover. I also feel like the teleport gives me much, much better control of where I'm going to end up, because I can see where my "feet" will be. And there's no chance at all to get stuck on objects.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I think we've found the next iteration of "tank controls vs 3D movement" argument.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I felt the same way at first but after mastering Boneworks and getting some real VR legs I get the point people have been making about Alyx being based on older ideas about what was 'best' for VR. The environment in Alyx is unmatched but fights vs the combine felt like of a shooting gallery where I just pick the best position behind a big fat pillar and peek around lining up head-shots. There was only a single place where it felt like something approaching a 'real' gunfight and it was in the broken-down apartment with the caved-in walls about 2/3rds through the game. That set-piece being in a smaller area really felt like I had to move and check my corners to avoid being flanked and out-shot.

I don't really fault it for that because like we've all said 2016 ideas but shooting isn't the best part of Alyx. It's one of the reasons I'm desperately hoping Medal of Honor is half as good as the trailers make it look and can be hacked in via reVIVE, or Hitman 3 gets a PCVR port.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Alyx is the only VR FPS game that I've enjoyed. And I didn't only enjoy it, I absolutely loved it. The only shortcoming that it has, in my eyes, is that the newspapers aren't readable and there isn't a lot of environmental storytelling.

The blink movement is awesome. The combat was fun. Teleport, find cover, peak, shoot, teleport, find cover, peak, shoot, was a gameplay loop that I very much enjoyed. The environments, the characters, the immersion that I felt while playing, it was just awesome. The sequence leading to the trash compactor was my favorite, but so was the M.C. Escher horror apartment.

It's a great game, guys. If it had been built differently, it'd be a different game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Not exactly a great argument there.. I could totally see a developer who was making a purely smooth locomotion experience not want to handle the physics/movement of climbing through a window and just making it a teleport. Boneworks is the only game I know of that really does that stuff and its pretty janky in practice?

Not being able to crouch under things is unfortunate, but... seems like the thing they could totally retrofit easily if they cared enough. That's my point, that's not something you NEED to design for smooth first and then add teleport. If you design for teleport, you can add ducking later. Payday 2 supports both. That's more of a question of design though, again, its not as simple as just "they did teleport so they couldn't", its a question of development man-hours and comfort and whether they care enough or think enough customers care enough. :shrug:

This is bad project management and scope creep though, and as I've stated before, your game is likely going to look very different designed teleport-first than it is built for a full range of movement options. PayDay 2's also a poor example because it's a port of a desktop game and smooth locomotion existing is just duplicating the existing desktop movement options onto VR controllers. If you want an example of how different movement changes gameplay, go try Budget Cuts 1 or 2 with the smooth locomotion mutator and see how it changes the game being able to sneak around or hunt the robots as you please instead of bunny-hopping through portals.

Zaphod42 posted:

Games take time to make, man. The VIVE hitting and having games that are designed purely for roomscale releasing right away is just plain unrealistic.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to argue here? All the launch titles for the Vive in 2016, and even a stretch into 2017, were very conservative with either teleport-based or static roomscale environments to minimize potential motion sickness. Arizona Sunshine, Job Simulator, H3VR, Space Pirate Trainer, theBlu, The Gallery: Episode 1. If you go looking at titles from 2017 onwards, there's a general shift in games being designed around moving through levels without either being stationary or teleporting as the primary movement option, and more about a full range of locomotion settings with titles like GORN, the Serious Sam and Skyrim ports, or even good old Lone Echo and Echo Arena as Oculus played catch-up on the Vive with their fantastic Touch controllers.

Zaphod42 posted:

Whaaaat

Again, Alyx may not be exactly the game you want. That's your opinion. But acting like the game has massive "deficits" is just crazy-talk to me. Its not nearly as objective as you're pretending.

Not having all those features doesn't make it an inferior game. Having a bunch of checkboxes doesn't make GOTY. Dude, comeon!

"Half-life 2 sucks compared to Halo because you can't dual wield. Its missing major FPS features!" I mean just think about something like that being said!

The two examples I gave here are specific things the devs openly said they attempted and gave up on. Ones that have been already been done well in other popular VR games, and just came off like they never looked outside their own lab for solutions or working examples to build ideas off of.

If you want my subjective dislikes on HL:Alyx, I think the inventory interface is bad because it's arbitrarily built around the idea of a "dominant" hand rather than equipping to whichever you opened the inventory with like a sane VR interface, and the torch has to be placed in literally the dumbest place possible out of all possible options between both of Alyx's gloves and her headset. Why on earth would anyone place a torch, that they have to mount themselves anyway, on the hand that's going to be constantly moving any time they have to interact with something while holding a gun? Or even just reloading while dealing with threats in an otherwise pitch-black environment.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LLSix posted:

:woop:

When you start doing soundboxing again, I've got two songs I'd love to see your take on.

I would love a really frenetic beat map for Fuel by Metallica. All the current soundboxing maps for this song are too tame.e.

Not sure how well this will work for a workout, but "Honey I'm Good" is a fun song that I discovered recently. With Lyrics Official video

Will give them a listen and make some maps this weekend probably.

In the meantime a few of my past favourites I've done that you haven't played yet (i have a shitload in my back catelogue you haven't gotten to really):

https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/26c9f351-5b9e-11e8-ac14-0a580a200511 - fun bouncy chiptune glitchhop
https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/b0db44ab-7a57-11e8-8c04-0a580a200115 - longest one I've ever done at half an hour - really really good workout. I did it all in one go myself so it's fairly well paced to be able to finish in one shot while still being pretty strenuous. fun mashup electro funk stuff.
https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/54aad214-3b95-11e8-bd75-0a580a200409 - 324 punches per minute. my fastest map ever. this poo poo is insane. That's 2.7 punches per second per arm sustained for three minutes and twelve seconds.
https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/9ba39f8a-9512-11e8-aae0-0a580a200308 a lot of breakbeat songs can be boring in soundboxing but I think I did this justice
https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/0cb760bf-d0b6-11e7-ae50-0a580a201d16 - like some of my early maps a bit chaotic and unformed but it's fun as heck to play I think and a very good workout at 249 PPM

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 5, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

LLSix posted:

:woop:

When you start doing soundboxing again, I've got two songs I'd love to see your take on.

I would love a really frenetic beat map for Fuel by Metallica.

Please say you linked to a AMV of MHA instead of the real music video or track ironically.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

Please say you linked to a AMV of MHA instead of the real music video or track ironically.

honestly using that video will get a heck of a lot more plays on Soundboxing than if I use the real music video.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ditto for crouching under anything; Aim your teleport marker and pop through the wall.
I didn't realize you could do this in Alyx and found that if you're using smooth locomotion you have to physically lower your head to get under a bunch of things. So that part's at least optional rather than forced.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want my subjective dislikes on HL:Alyx, I think the inventory interface is bad because it's arbitrarily built around the idea of a "dominant" hand rather than equipping to whichever you opened the inventory with like a sane VR interface, and the torch has to be placed in literally the dumbest place possible out of all possible options between both of Alyx's gloves and her headset. Why on earth would anyone place a torch, that they have to mount themselves anyway, on the hand that's going to be constantly moving any time they have to interact with something while holding a gun? Or even just reloading while dealing with threats in an otherwise pitch-black environment.
Yeah the flashlight was quite the minor frustration. You're forced to have the flashlight pointing where your fingers do on your off hand, and it only turns on at the "dark" sections. You can't turn it on to look at the occasional dark corner.

And you can't do the "balance a pistol over a flashlight" pose, or indeed any of the flashlight+gun poses, because either the light goes in the wrong direction or the physical controllers get in the way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is bad project management and scope creep though

Lmao, no it isn't. Adding support for teleport later on or adding support for smooth movement later on both require work being done at some point. Adding a feature is not INHERENTLY scope creep. Are you a developer?

All these things you keep saying are very arbitrary, its just very "that's bad because I say so". I could say that adding smooth movement is scope creep! But no, it isn't, you can't say that in a bottle without knowing more about the project. That's ridiculous.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

, and as I've stated before, your game is likely going to look very different designed teleport-first than it is built for a full range of movement options.

You've said it several times, but I'm asking you to explain WHY and prove it, and you have not yet done that. You just keep saying you're right, and people who do that are actually usually wrong. Skip saying it 5 times and give examples and evidence instead!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

PayDay 2's also a poor example because it's a port of a desktop game and smooth locomotion existing is just duplicating the existing desktop movement options onto VR controllers. If you want an example of how different movement changes gameplay, go try Budget Cuts 1 or 2 with the smooth locomotion mutator and see how it changes the game being able to sneak around or hunt the robots as you please instead of bunny-hopping through portals.

Budget Cuts is one single data point, you can't extrapolate to the whole industry. They're a single indie developer. Could have been other limitations that prevented it from being better, like budget or man hours.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to argue here? All the launch titles for the Vive in 2016, and even a stretch into 2017, were very conservative with either teleport-based or static roomscale environments to minimize potential motion sickness. Arizona Sunshine, Job Simulator, H3VR, Space Pirate Trainer, theBlu, The Gallery: Episode 1. If you go looking at titles from 2017 onwards, there's a general shift in games being designed around moving through levels without either being stationary or teleporting as the primary movement option, and more about a full range of locomotion settings with titles like GORN, the Serious Sam and Skyrim ports, or even good old Lone Echo and Echo Arena as Oculus played catch-up on the Vive with their fantastic Touch controllers.

Yes, almost like what I was saying. Games developed ON the DK2 were made to be as comfortable as they could. Then VIVE comes out, and they START working on roomscale games, which take time to actually develop, especially since developers need time to learn new things!!

Blagh

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The two examples I gave here are specific things the devs openly said they attempted and gave up on. Ones that have been already been done well in other popular VR games, and just came off like they never looked outside their own lab for solutions or working examples to build ideas off of.

This is arrogance man. Have you worked on games? Honestly.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't really, we were discussing the concept of designing for teleport first and you have yet to really make a cogent argument as to it ruining all games if they aren't designed for smooth first. You talking about the UI is now a complete tangent.

Those are fair points, but completely unrelated to teleport. And more things that just take developers time to implement.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Who here plays Elite: Dangerous in VR from Steam? Just launching the game is a loving ordeal that I can't seem to streamline. Basically, launching it from the Games menu presents the launch options choice, one of which is VR. Trying to launch it directly from the recently played will default to non-VR mode.

Annoying enough as it is, but what makes this infuriatingly dumb UI is that if SteamVR is running with SteamVR Home active, trying to bring up the Steam Library in Windows doesn't do anything, presumably because it wants you to use the SteamVR Home library... But if I try to launch from SteamVR Home, it says I'm launching a native VR game in Non-VR mode and do I really want to continue?? So if I forget to bring out the Steam library beforehand, or do these operations in the wrong order, it launches flat Elite: Dangerous and I have to basically quit everything and start over.

I've tried making a shortcut to the Elite: Dangerous launcher directly, with the /Steam /VR startup arguments that it normally launches with according to Process Explorer. But that only seems to start an unauthenticated E:D Launcher and signing in to my Frontier account just says it doesn't own the game, because that was done through Steam.

I'm about ready to unlink my Steam account and rebuy a key directly from Frontier if that means I can just use a batch file to launch the E:D Launcher standalone along with OVR Toolkit in a single click.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Jan posted:

Who here plays Elite: Dangerous in VR from Steam? Just launching the game is a loving ordeal that I can't seem to streamline. Basically, launching it from the Games menu presents the launch options choice, one of which is VR. Trying to launch it directly from the recently played will default to non-VR mode.

Annoying enough as it is, but what makes this infuriatingly dumb UI is that if SteamVR is running with SteamVR Home active, trying to bring up the Steam Library in Windows doesn't do anything, presumably because it wants you to use the SteamVR Home library... But if I try to launch from SteamVR Home, it says I'm launching a native VR game in Non-VR mode and do I really want to continue?? So if I forget to bring out the Steam library beforehand, or do these operations in the wrong order, it launches flat Elite: Dangerous and I have to basically quit everything and start over.

I've tried making a shortcut to the Elite: Dangerous launcher directly, with the /Steam /VR startup arguments that it normally launches with according to Process Explorer. But that only seems to start an unauthenticated E:D Launcher and signing in to my Frontier account just says it doesn't own the game, because that was done through Steam.

I'm about ready to unlink my Steam account and rebuy a key directly from Frontier if that means I can just use a batch file to launch the E:D Launcher standalone along with OVR Toolkit in a single click.

Tried it out, and this works for me:
1. Right click the game in Steam -> Proeprties -> Set Launch Options, and put /VR in there.
2. Right click the game again, Manage -> Add desktop shortcut.
That should create a Steam URL shortcut that launches it correctly. Maybe adding the launch option will also do it from inside SteamVR now, although that could be the launcher screwing it up.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Turin Turambar posted:

No one has written about Phantom: Covert Ops, right?

I played the first mission, and the graphics are good, the kayak controls are very well done, and overall the immersion factor feels high, thanks to these factors, the overall polish and the fact that what you do in real life (be seated) is what you are doing in the game world. It feels cool to paddle slowly to not be heard by a close guard, or snipe targets, or paddle like crazy running away of a incoming patrol boat.

That said, it's more a good immersive experience than a good game, you know? As a game, it feels very limited, it's a linear stealth game without many options. The main idea here, of making a stealth game of a situation that by nature is linear and constrained (most of the time you are in water channels that only go one way, or bigger areas where basically there are two paths) is just flawed at its core.

I was about to post some thoughts I have on the game last night! I'm on the final mission now.

I fought with the paddling controls quite a bit in the beginning, it wasn't until I realized you need to hold A when paddling and you can change your direction without pushing forward. So when you rush to hide in some grass you can do a quick 180 without revealing yourself. Now I find myself in love with the controls. It feels in some ways like the perfect first time VR game because I don't think you can get motion sickness; any movement you make is 100% what you would expect to happen in real life.

Movement aside the gunplay is rather weak as 1. youre judged harshly on using your freaking weapons unless it's a high value target (they are rare) and 2. the storage/reload mechanisms just do everything for you. I get why they autosnap the weapons to your storage so you don't drop them in the water (you CAN drop a magazine in the water :classiclol:) but there's no reason the reloading should be that generic. Like its "hold new mag up to the bottom of gun and gun automatically ejects the current magazine and loads it for you" kind of generic. There is also no way to rack the chamber or whatever manually.

This would have been a really good level in say HL:A. But like you said, there's just not enough here to justify a full game. That being said I don't regret the purchase, it's novel enough that I'm cool throwing $40 here and there at companies willing to take a risk and experiment.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah the flashlight was quite the minor frustration. You're forced to have the flashlight pointing where your fingers do on your off hand, and it only turns on at the "dark" sections. You can't turn it on to look at the occasional dark corner.

And you can't do the "balance a pistol over a flashlight" pose, or indeed any of the flashlight+gun poses, because either the light goes in the wrong direction or the physical controllers get in the way.

If you rest your left hand under your right hand, so that Alyx holds the gun with both hands, the flashlight will point in the same direction as the gun.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
if anyones reading this thread and isnt sure if they should buy half life alyx then yes, they should buy half life alyx

i have no idea how anyone could be whining about anything about this perfect loving game

it made the hardware worth the purchase price

seriously what the gently caress

its like hating on the beatles or the empire strikes back or something

sorry everyone likes this thing but you

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hhhat posted:

if anyones reading this thread and isnt sure if they should buy half life alyx then yes, they should buy half life alyx

i have no idea how anyone could be whining about anything about this perfect loving game

it made the hardware worth the purchase price

seriously what the gently caress

its like hating on the beatles or the empire strikes back or something

sorry everyone likes this thing but you

Nah chill, nobody's hating per se. There has to be room between love and hate. The discussion we were having was whether it was the best or not, and why some people think it isn't the absolute #1 best.

I was the guy arguing that Alyx is indeed the best, but I gotta disagree with this post. Comeon man if you're gonna read the thread read the thread. This kinda overreactionary response is too desperate to dunk on another goon without bothering to read the context.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well thats Boneworks beaten. Enjoyed it quite a bit but it definitely had some issues. Maybe this was user error but I had a terrible time with ladders and traversal that had you try to climb things, like I didn't see any way to actually pull yourself up unless you could grab something above it and essentially dangle yourself above and hope dropping doesnt move you too much.

I thought I was exploring pretty thoroughly but I didn't really understand the story much at all and felt like I was missing basic elements of it the whole time. The whole ending sequence kind of sucked honestly. Having to climb a gigantic MGS3 ladder as the final thing was dumb! I wanted a cool boss fight or something but..Nothing. And to top it off it just ends with the protagonist being stuck in VR I guess with his physical body killed? Not very satisfying. I don't even understand why exactly you plugged yourself in at all or why the null became hostile...The entire purpose of the void?? I seriously feel like I'm missing something. I wish the game leaned more into the whole anomaly thing that was in the very beginning, weird glitches like a self aware notebook or an indestructible coffee cup, etc.

Ah well. I don't regret the time I spent on it at all regardless.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Lemming posted:

vid

this is to teach people how to jump
you can't progress without jumping

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Just now getting into the Linkin Park pack in Beat Saber. Am I the only one having trouble with the Hard difficulty? I can consistently beat most the main game on Hard, and I've even cleared some Expert stages, but try as I might I can't get past like .. Papercut I think. There's just sections where the flow doesn't make sense to me and I have trouble keeping up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ott_ posted:

this is to teach people how to jump
you can't progress without jumping

Of course, but they added in a bunch of stuff that makes it look like you don't *have* to use the jump teleport. Even in the video the guy clearly thinks for a second he can climb over. It should've been clear what the limitations are, because if it isn't then you get that disappointment of "oh maybe I can climb over or use the pipe? huh? I can't? Oh, I guess I have to teleport over, it's too bad that the idea I had is actually beyond the limitations of the game"

I'm not saying that this sort of hidden tutorial is a bad idea, I'm saying it's a really poor execution

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cargohills posted:

If you rest your left hand under your right hand, so that Alyx holds the gun with both hands, the flashlight will point in the same direction as the gun.

This isn't what we're talking about; The problem is the train of events is Alyx picks up a torch -> decides for herself where to affix it on her gear -> picks the worst spot available out of all of them.

Zaphod42 posted:

This is arrogance man. Have you worked on games? Honestly.

This is a basic part of any project development though; I do project programming for work, and make stuff in Unity and Blender for VRChat for fun, and the first thing I do when stuck on something is go look for a working example I can use as a reference. This is something everyone does (if you want a recent example, take a look at any game where the core conceit is "female protagonist with a bow" and see how similarly they control, or just the various takes on Battle Royale games), and makes its absence noticeable when you have a game come out that uses design concepts common from around the time the Vive launched but have since been supplanted or discarded by every other developer. And why their "we couldn't make this work" arguments are eyebrow-raising when plenty of other games have done so successfully.

Zaphod42 posted:

Budget Cuts is one single data point, you can't extrapolate to the whole industry. They're a single indie developer. Could have been other limitations that prevented it from being better, like budget or man hours.

Mutators are a for-fun thing by the BC developers, and my point was that the Smooth Locomotion mutator is a playable example of what happens when you arbitrarily tack on smooth locomotion to a teleport-based game after the fact.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kazy posted:

Just now getting into the Linkin Park pack in Beat Saber. Am I the only one having trouble with the Hard difficulty? I can consistently beat most the main game on Hard, and I've even cleared some Expert stages, but try as I might I can't get past like .. Papercut I think. There's just sections where the flow doesn't make sense to me and I have trouble keeping up.

Welcome to the ever increasing difficulty and ever changing metas!

no really, that wasn't being sarcastic. Thats just how it is. There is zero hard rules on what each difficulty is. Not officially, not unofficially, nowhere.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mutators are a for-fun thing by the BC developers, and my point was that the Smooth Locomotion mutator is a playable example of what happens when you arbitrarily tack on smooth locomotion to a teleport-based game after the fact.

Again, you're wildly extrapolating. You could just as well say that proves that doing smooth locomotion "for fun" doesn't work. There's way too many other variables involved here to pin everything down on a single factor like you're arguing. You need to recognize that it just isn't that black and white.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is a basic part of any project development though; I do project programming for work

Then you should really know better than to arbitrarily declare any work or feature as scope creep without the context of the project, the budget, milestones, etc.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rectus posted:

Tried it out, and this works for me:
1. Right click the game in Steam -> Proeprties -> Set Launch Options, and put /VR in there.
2. Right click the game again, Manage -> Add desktop shortcut.
That should create a Steam URL shortcut that launches it correctly. Maybe adding the launch option will also do it from inside SteamVR now, although that could be the launcher screwing it up.

Yeah, it works perfectly, thanks. Forgot that Steam itself can create launch shortcuts that go through it.

Of course, when I tried to launch flatscreen Elite: Dangerous again later, I couldn't even use the former implicit non-VR launch because setting the default launch options to /VR means it's always on... Not your fault at all but good grief, what a turd. It's really all one or the other. :nallears:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This isn't what we're talking about; The problem is the train of events is Alyx picks up a torch -> decides for herself where to affix it on her gear -> picks the worst spot available out of all of them.

It matching up with the two-handed gun grip is why the flashlight position is what it is. Your hands snap to that position, and holding the gun two handed the flashlight follows where you point the gun.

Stolen from a reddit thread.

Kinda weird though. Alyx 'teacups' the pistol in the game which isn't how you're supposed to hold a gun. It makes sense for her as a character who never got formal shooting training, but it's weird as a restriction imposed on the player for something that's supposed to be immersive.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well thats Boneworks beaten. Enjoyed it quite a bit but it definitely had some issues. Maybe this was user error but I had a terrible time with ladders and traversal that had you try to climb things, like I didn't see any way to actually pull yourself up unless you could grab something above it and essentially dangle yourself above and hope dropping doesnt move you too much.

I thought I was exploring pretty thoroughly but I didn't really understand the story much at all and felt like I was missing basic elements of it the whole time. The whole ending sequence kind of sucked honestly. Having to climb a gigantic MGS3 ladder as the final thing was dumb! I wanted a cool boss fight or something but..Nothing. And to top it off it just ends with the protagonist being stuck in VR I guess with his physical body killed? Not very satisfying. I don't even understand why exactly you plugged yourself in at all or why the null became hostile...The entire purpose of the void?? I seriously feel like I'm missing something. I wish the game leaned more into the whole anomaly thing that was in the very beginning, weird glitches like a self aware notebook or an indestructible coffee cup, etc.

Ah well. I don't regret the time I spent on it at all regardless.

all of the zombies, and medieval Fords are “you” from previous attempts on your mission.

You’re a double agent for a different company, and their objective is for you to hack in and give them access to the monogon vr space

Instead, you take advantage of an exploit where the in-universe clock (the time tower) is stopped to get in while everything is locked down, and then destroy it, which transports you out of the virtual word and into the Boneworks— sort of an in-between world.

In the basement of the medieval world, you’ve fully entered the void, a dimension that exists between all realities, and your mind is completely severed from the normal universe and the vr universe, which is why you are able to watch yourself get killed at the end

Duck Season has a lot of content that sort of dovetails into Boneworks. Whatever game Stress Level Zero drops next will likely be about Saberlake and maybe uh “the hall of the machine king”???

And probably also flesh out the shared lore a bit more

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Flashlight aiming the gun in Alyxs works with no problem using the Quest controls at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

ishikabibble posted:

Kinda weird though. Alyx 'teacups' the pistol in the game which isn't how you're supposed to hold a gun. It makes sense for her as a character who never got formal shooting training, but it's weird as a restriction imposed on the player for something that's supposed to be immersive.

Holding it properly would probably cover the ammo readout and be much, much more annoying.