Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Pubbies are generally terrible at either aspect of counter-battery fire. I had some dipshit S-51 take a splash hit from my own S-51, lose ~340HP, then remain hiding behind the same loving bush for 50 seconds while I relocated/reloaded.

Unsurprisingly, my next shot wiped him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Was hoping this would be a 1st Class or an Ace but lol

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5529804#arctic_region-mariuslecter-lhmtv

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I bought the CS-52 LIS and it's pretty dang good. Stronk gun, great mobility, no glaring weaknesses, even bounces some shots. It's definitely worth picking up.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

I can't believe WG are still allowing three arty per team matches. One per team is fine, but it's 2 or even 3 in pretty much every game and it loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

I realize this must be hot news to everyone, but it's striking me again after I took a few months off from the game.

The other day, I was bitching in our platoon about how every loving game had arty, usually 2 or 3 per side. There was I believe 1 out of 20 battles without arty.

Wargaming has said that they want the range to be 0-3 arty per game, because by allowing up to 3 per game that pulls enough from the queue for some games not to have arty; limiting it to 1 per side would yield battles with arty every time.

Well, their logic appears sound, except as described above, it doesn't really matter if there's a chance to have 0 arty when 95% of the battles have arty in them! I'd rather have 1 per game, every game, than 3 per game, every game, like typically happens now!

Dravs posted:

1 arty is fine I feel, it does help dig out people who just want to camp. 2 is the max of you want to play the game but 3 arty actually increases camping because as soon as anyone tries to do anything active they just get nuked.

At least you can no longer get 10 arty a side anymore like the old days, although at least that was funny I guess.

The "arty prevents camping" myth has been thoroughly debunked. There certainly are times where, towards the end of a battle, one of the remaining tanks might have a strong defensive position where indirect fire would be helpful. Most of the time, however, arty is just shooting at the tanks that are spotted and are otherwise playing as they're supposed to, e.g. HTs fighting in the western fields on Westfield. Arty fucks with other tanks and changes the way the game plays, and not for the better.

BitBasher posted:

I apologize in advance for what is likely to be an unpopular post:

It used to be unlimited arty per team! 3 *is* the improvement!

It helps to play arty for a while and you will die to them a lot less. I have well over 1000 games in Arty from years ago when I played when the game first came out, and I am now in a state of always evaluating my tank driving choices from the point of view of how attractive a target I am to arty. When you learn to think that way getting shelled by arty is far, far less of a problem. I highly recommend playing one or two arty trees all the way to tier 10, USA, USSR or France. Don't free exp or skip anything. It helps dealing with arty as a conventional tank or TD by an immeasurable amount.

Even 3 arty in a game really isn't that bad, you just have to choose your approaches differently. People have zero patience. Don't advance as far, make the enemy tanks advance further to shoot at you. You give up a minor tactical point so your arty has a clear shot at them while you are in a position to not allow their arty shots that are as advantageous. Let your arty work for you instead of advancing however you want. It really can work for you.

For that matter there are a lot of times where even without arty people are morons and push too far so they are driving around corners exposing themselves to enemy fire instead of letting the enemy point tanks come to them. Patience is a huge virtue in this game.

It's one thing to know from experience where arty can hit, where safe spots are, etc., but as I've already mentioned, arty changes the way the maps are played.

You have to make the decision to change the way you'd play a map without arty, or play as you normally would and hope you're not unlucky enough to be "chosen."

BitBasher posted:

I used to see counter artillery fire used to be a LOT more common back like 6-7 years ago before I took a long break. It basically never happens to me now. I rarely play arty but I haven't been counter fired by arty once since I started playing again, I don't even bother relocating after firing any more.

I don't play arty any more (except maybe for missions) since eliting all the SPG lines, but you're right, nowadays CB feels very uncommon. It's probably more likely on smaller maps like Mines where arty really has few safe positions, but I do relocate a little between shots out of habit and am genuinely surprised when I hear someone CBing around me.

BitBasher posted:

Yeah, the only Arty line I am going up now is the Batchat arty line. I think I'm on Tier 6 now. The gun itself is okay, but I really like their mobility. I like being arty but also being able to gently caress off and relocate in a hurry.

Well, you'd better get used to that gun, because they're stuck with pretty much identical 155 mm cannons all the way through the tier 10! :haw:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Atomizer posted:

The other day, I was bitching in our platoon about how every loving game had arty, usually 2 or 3 per side. There was I believe 1 out of 20 battles without arty.

Wargaming has said that they want the range to be 0-3 arty per game, because by allowing up to 3 per game that pulls enough from the queue for some games not to have arty; limiting it to 1 per side would yield battles with arty every time.

Well, their logic appears sound, except as described above, it doesn't really matter if there's a chance to have 0 arty when 95% of the battles have arty in them! I'd rather have 1 per game, every game, than 3 per game, every game, like typically happens now!

Honestly I'd be perfectly OK with one arty in pretty much every game ever, especially if it meant no more 3 arty games. One arty is fine, they have long enough reloads (for the most part) not to be oppressive, and they do server a useful purpose. The real problems start when multiple arties are able to focus on the same people and effectively keep them permanently stunned and tracked.

I have no idea how WG do not realize this. They must do, but they just don't care.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The FCM 36 Pak 40, the most OP tier 3 tank, is on sale again for $6.50.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

McGavin posted:

Jesus H. tapdancing Christ. Meanwhile on EU we're treated to the T25 Pilot.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

McGavin posted:

enjoying 400m view range at t3 for $6.50 is worth it

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you guys like buying tanks let me tell you about this once in a lifetime spaceship Purchase Opportunity!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

If you guys like buying tanks let me tell you about this once in a lifetime spaceship Purchase Opportunity!

:nsallears:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
http://wotreplays.eu/site/5530853#live_oaks-mariuslecter-lhmtv

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Jesus H. tapdancing Christ. Meanwhile on EU we're treated to the T25 Pilot.

Wargaming Europe giving worse deals to their players? Whatever next, Wargaming Europe giving worse deals to their players?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

BitBasher posted:

I used to see counter artillery fire used to be a LOT more common back like 6-7 years ago before I took a long break. It basically never happens to me now. I rarely play arty but I haven't been counter fired by arty once since I started playing again, I don't even bother relocating after firing any more.

Counter-battery disappeared almost immediately after the tracer nerf because it became nearly impossible while arty was still relocating and firing from non-obvious positions to avoid getting blasted. The playerbase never bothered to relearn it after arty got complacent, probably because even then its still a waste of time vs ruining some poor heavys day.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
~Just LHMTV Things~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKXb8L47fms

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihkf1qhrd_o

A decent video explaining the CVS effects.

TLDR: CVS is probably the first slot choice for light tanks. Light equipment should probably be CVS, Optics, Muffler at high tiers and then pray you don't get Himmelsdorf.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

VelociBacon posted:

I can play the tanks! Right now! In a working game, though!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

McGavin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihkf1qhrd_o

A decent video explaining the CVS effects.

TLDR: CVS is probably the first slot choice for light tanks. Light equipment should probably be CVS, Optics, Muffler at high tiers and then pray you don't get Himmelsdorf.

do any of those make your light tank go faster and jump higher?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Was looking through some old pictures and I found this gem. Not sure why we made this one TBQH...

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
You guys joke about [4HIM] but after we pushed them on a tournament they prayed and spread the Red Sea and are smoking us right now.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
http://wotreplays.eu/site/5531087#westfield-mariuslecter-lhmtv

1st Class again, think i'm getting a hang of the Commander's Vision Device also. That video explaining the mechanics helped a lot too.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Submitted my LHMTV clip to this WG thing - https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/announcements/alienware-tank-clip-challenge/

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
What the hell is it with match maker? The games are ridiculously lopsided.

It's been disabled so they can divert more cpu to the chat ban AI.

schizophrenic
Jul 29, 2004
<3

moolchaba posted:

What the hell is it with match maker? The games are ridiculously lopsided.

It's been disabled so they can divert more cpu to the chat ban AI.
Same
25% wins one day over 20 games, 75% the next day over 20 games. lmao :wtc:

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

schizophrenic posted:

Same
25% wins one day over 20 games, 75% the next day over 20 games. lmao :wtc:

at least it balances out :shrug:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/__br__ba/status/1301247807802806273?s=21

New premium tanks when?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Trip report on the LIS: It's a real solid hard hitting medium. The gun handling is incredibly good. And its mobile enough to almost play like the T-44-100. So if you already have that tank and want to go down the polish mediums it's worth it.

I figured having it 70% off would be worth it enough to also get the crewbook missions.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Another great thing about the LIS is that the APCR shell has nearly 1600 m/s shell velocity. It's like shooting a loving laser beam.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 4, 2020

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh come on, anyone could have made that mistake. There are too many similarities between the Chi-Nu Kai and IS-2M!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Oh come on, anyone could have made that mistake. There are too many similarities between the Chi-Nu Kai and IS-2M!

You can't spell Chi-Nu Kai without I(s-2M)!

Also I recently bought the Swedish medium as a trade-in and it's a very good T6 medium.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Der Shovel posted:

You can't spell Chi-Nu Kai without I(s-2M)!

Also I recently bought the Swedish medium as a trade-in and it's a very good T6 medium.

I put camo net, binocs and gld on mine and it's been working out super well.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
3200 and 24 days again. Grr.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/QWnJlLE_5e0

One of the last Jumbo Shermans is getting restored

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Lord Sheen protect and guide me. Amen.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

1.4k base xp in the LIS is only good enough for 1st class.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

McGavin posted:

1.4k base xp in the LIS is only good enough for 1st class.

I'm not surprised. I haven't seen them dominate games like Borats can yet, but it looks like a powerful tank.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's ridiculous. I did 4k damage in a tier 10 game to get the 1.4k xp.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/FFqSOAz.mp4

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Control Volume posted:

Counter-battery disappeared almost immediately after the tracer nerf because it became nearly impossible while arty was still relocating and firing from non-obvious positions to avoid getting blasted. The playerbase never bothered to relearn it after arty got complacent, probably because even then its still a waste of time vs ruining some poor heavys day.

I only play T10 arty but counter battery is still pretty common there. What was the tracer nerf? I took a 5 year break from the game and came back just under a year ago but it still seems as easy as it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You've heard of parallel parking, now try stacked parking!