Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dead cat bounce, baby!

E: Page snipe is better with no context.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

he's 24, not injured afaik and was p consistent before the canceled basho so he seems like a potential candidate for a strong bounce back fom a lower rank. he's the only seikitori in his heya tho so also one of the most likely rikishi to be hurt by the restrictions on degeiko.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 2, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, he was terrible in July but it really looked like mental issues. Hopefully with the last basho so recent he'll be a bit less rusty against makuuchi opponents, especially since he's in lower ranks.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
hope youre right. i guess anything can happen

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Little late and underslept...let's see what happens.

Y/O: Asanoyama, Takakeisho, M.I.A.
S/K: Shodai, Daieisho, Mitakeumi,
M1-5: Yutakayama, Terunofuji, Tamawashi
M6-10: Takayasu, Enho, Tokushoryu
M11+: Hoshoryu, Meisei, Ichinojo

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 12, 2020

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

oh man... did you guys not see him go 2 and 13 in the last basho? worst result of anyone in makuuchi haha

He was, I think, 100% fighting above his grade at M2. I don't think he's going to be as good as he was up at Komisubi but comparing having to fight the big boys with a bunch of middle and lower megaeshira matches is not worthwhile either. Dude has been a solid 9-6ish around the M9 rank, so it's not a terrible choice imo.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgOrTbCSV4Y

Hakkeyoi song

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, my God, I haven't smiled this big in I don't know how long. :allears: Thank you!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Robviously posted:

He was, I think, 100% fighting above his grade at M2. I don't think he's going to be as good as he was up at Komisubi but comparing having to fight the big boys with a bunch of middle and lower megaeshira matches is not worthwhile either. Dude has been a solid 9-6ish around the M9 rank, so it's not a terrible choice imo.

word

i'm already glad i got into fantasy this time, it's fun to argue about sports :tipshat:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

cute. insanely cute.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Y/O: Asanoyama, Kakuryu, Takakeisho
S/K: Mitakeumi, Daieisho, Okinoumi
M1-5: Kiribayama, Yutakayama, Terutsuyoshi
M6-10: Takayasu, Onosho, Wakatakakage
M11+: Meisei, Kotoshoho, Ichinojo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Usual recommendation that if this is your first few bashos, you should really just pick some names at random and do fantasy. It helps you learn rikishi and become invested in matches you otherwise have no stake it. I can't remember who suggested it when I was new but it was the best advice.

S/K: Shodai, Mitakeumi, Daiesho
M1-5: Kirbayama, Hokotofuji, Takonosho
M6-10: Tokushoryu, Wakatakakage, Enho
M11+: Ishiura, Ichinojo, Shimanoumi

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I've been mostly lurking the last few basho but I'll throw my hat in the ring for this one.

Y/O: Asanoyama, Takakeisho, Kakuryu
S/K: Shodai, Daieisho, Mitakeumi
M1-5: Terunofuji, Yutakayama, Kiribayama
M6-10: Kotoeko, Enho, Onosho
M11+ : Kotoshoho, Hoshoryu, Meisei

MalarkeyToboggan fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 5, 2020

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
S/K: Mitakeumi, Shodai, Daieisho
M1-5: Kiribayama, Hokutofuji, Myogiryu
M6-10: Onosho, Enho, Wakatakakage
M11+: Chiyotairyu, Meisei, Ichinojo

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
"Yokozuna Kakuryuu has not started doing sumo in training, with nine days to go till the basho starts. "I feel I better start getting back in shape a bit.. I'd like to get back in shape, and like I always say, when I enter I hope to get a good result.." he said. He talks about life at home with nowhere to go. "I'm mostly putting the kids (three) to bed. I do what needs to be done whenever my wife is too busy.," he explained. He now spends a lot of time at home. A LOT of time. He is famous for following many sports, foreign and local, on TV. "I haven't been watching much at home lately, as whenever I turn the TV on, the kids want to watch their favorite shows," he said. (Psst.. get another set. You can afford it..)"

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Foehammer007 posted:

"Yokozuna Kakuryuu has not started doing sumo in training, with nine days to go till the basho starts. "I feel I better start getting back in shape a bit.. I'd like to get back in shape, and like I always say, when I enter I hope to get a good result.." he said. He talks about life at home with nowhere to go. "I'm mostly putting the kids (three) to bed. I do what needs to be done whenever my wife is too busy.," he explained. He now spends a lot of time at home. A LOT of time. He is famous for following many sports, foreign and local, on TV. "I haven't been watching much at home lately, as whenever I turn the TV on, the kids want to watch their favorite shows," he said. (Psst.. get another set. You can afford it..)"

haha amazing

i got the feeling last basho that he just didn't train or practice at all, and was trying to fake it on the dohyo... with predictable results lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

haha amazing

i got the feeling last basho that he just didn't train or practice at all, and was trying to fake it on the dohyo... with predictable results lol

he's probably trying a new tactic. usually you'll hear 'kakuryu completely dominated literally all practice matches bet you would like to have seen it especially since he won't be fighting in this basho'

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

He will be using the puttingkidsinbedoshi

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
First time doing this, am I on time? Picking random names that I recognize from the last few months of the thread

Y/O: Hakuho / Takakeisho / Asanoyama
S/K: Daieisho / Shodai / Mitakeumi
M1-5: Toshinoshin / Terutsuyoshi / Hokutofuji
M6-10: Enho / Wakatakakage / Kotoeko
M11+: Kaisei / Kotoshogiku / Chiyotairyu

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Cage Kicker posted:

First time doing this, am I on time? Picking random names that I recognize from the last few months of the thread

Y/O: Hakuho / Takakeisho / Asanoyama
S/K: Daieisho / Shodai / Mitakeumi
M1-5: Toshinoshin / Terutsuyoshi / Hokutofuji
M6-10: Enho / Wakatakakage / Kotoeko
M11+: Kaisei / Kotoshogiku / Chiyotairyu

what are the rules for changing your picks before? because hakuho is trying to recover from an injury, and he hasnt been training. i bet hes gonna be kyujo this basho

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nothing set in stone until the day kenning was going to do the draft IIRC so go nuts.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kenning posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna do the draft on Saturday before the basho, so let's try and get all entries in by Friday the 11th.

assign me a team at random please

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
cool, i might dump kakuryu then :whitewater:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Given that in all likelihood both yokozuna will sit out and we'll only have Takakeisho and Asanoyama in the y/o ranks I'm not going to restrict how many people can share a wrestler at that rank.

Lone Goat posted:

assign me a team at random please

Hahahah okay!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My main man Kakuryu will show up and win everything and make you all eat crow. With his strange impassive face. Just you wait.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
picking new guys now that i understand the rules. since everyone is gonna get the yokozuna or ozeki that they want, i think im gonna pick Takakeisho.

both the yokozunas look like they're gonna snooze on this tournament, so i'm not picking them. and compared to Asanoyama, Takakeisho is younger, he's heavier, and he's been doing sumo for longer.

Y/O: Takakeisho / Asanoyama / Hakuho
S/K: Daiesho / Shodai / Mitakeumi
M1-5: Terunofuji / Terutsuyoshi / Kiribayama
M6-10: Takayasu / Tokushoryu / Aoiyama
M11+: Hoshoryu / Ichinojo / Kyokutaisei

did more research this time around, trying to pick more mawashi guys and fewer pusher-thrusters. eager to see if i picked winners or not!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kenning posted:

Given that in all likelihood both yokozuna will sit out and we'll only have Takakeisho and Asanoyama in the y/o ranks I'm not going to restrict how many people can share a wrestler at that rank.

Would you prefer a new post or editing my original picks?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

Would you prefer a new post or editing my original picks?

Editing the original will make it easiest!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Good news from NattoSumo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRUTsIp39E0

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just watching Chris Sumo's latest video and the Japanese really do love Chiyonofuji don't they.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

To be fair, Chiyonofuji loving owned.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
more signs that kakuryu is snoozing on this basho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY7qe69SwM4

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

To be fair, Chiyonofuji loving owned.

Yes, yes he did.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

more signs that kakuryu is snoozing on this basho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY7qe69SwM4

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I think it's a lot more fun without them. :ssh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah TBH I’m definitely not married to having a god mode Yokozuna in the race; It’s a lot more interesting without the token “foregone conclusion” match. Sure it’s cool when every now and then he loses but I prefer the complete tossup we get now to the “who can beat Hakuho” we typically get.

And I mean Kakuryu too I guess.

I’d be fine if they both retired and we just had to fight for new Yokozuna.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf5f_kziX_o

Not a good sign for the September basho.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ah man, that really sucks. I hope they're all okay :(

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It was bound to happen so many people in such close contact for such prolonged periods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Kakuryu expected to announce tomorrow if he's pulling out, article I was reading suggests he's likely going to retire at this point given he's had one full basho in the last year.