Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Watched Final Wars for the first time in a decade tonight.

Hoo boy, that movie is the weirdest end cap for an era. The costume work is arguably the best there ever was and the CGI was... there.

I have to say, I remember it being over the top, but I don't remember it being so self aware (The UN guy showing up again and just saying, "I escaped somehow.")

I don't really know how to articulate how I feel about it. It's more of a love letter to the Showa era than anything else, so it's supremely dumb, but all the monsters get to have slightly more distinct personalities than usual. The only thing that actually annoyed me was how bleached out a lot of the scenes looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Burkion posted:

What movie is giving you issues? I can make a short list of the best of the Showa era

Not any one specific one I went with Destroy all Monsters but just couldn't get into it. I've tried a few of the films and could put them on but just couldn't get into any of them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Not any one specific one I went with Destroy all Monsters but just couldn't get into it. I've tried a few of the films and could put them on but just couldn't get into any of them.

The best films of this era outside of the original are Mothra VS Godzilla 1964, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, though interestingly enough the dubs of both are arguably better due to pacing and additional scenes in the former's case. Monster Zero is excellent if you want some 1960s sci-fi, otherwise eh. DAM is inarguably a rough pill to try and swallow.

VS Hedorah is great if you want the most 1970s drug scene Godzilla film ever made and then you have 1974 Godzilla VS MechaGodzilla for pure super hero Godzilla goodness with a surprisingly brutal streak. Terror of MG isn't my favorite but it's a good final ride for Honda.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Cut DAM down to 75 minutes and there's a good movie. My only issue was the pacing.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Hollismason posted:

My preferred order of watching is the original Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Mothra vs Godzilla and finally Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster. That way you get to start with watching Honda try out the different approaches to the giant monster genre before it's all brought together in a way that feels grand. People aren't kidding when they compare the MCU to Godzilla, and Ghidorah is it's Avengers-moment.

After that you're in for a bumpy ride, with Ebirah being the only one that stands out to me as incredibly entertaining. Vs Mechagodzilla is a weird case where I think the concept is cool, but everything it does is done better by Terror of Mechagodzilla. Still, you can't have one without the other, so...

Watch the rest in any order you like. I wouldn't start with Godzilla Raids Again, because it's a hard shift from the 1954 film, but it fits in neatly between Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla because it's such a tonal difference.

If you still want more, I would recommend VS King Kong, too. The rest is wholely up to preference.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Watched Final Wars for the first time in a decade tonight.

Hoo boy, that movie is the weirdest end cap for an era. The costume work is arguably the best there ever was and the CGI was... there.

I have to say, I remember it being over the top, but I don't remember it being so self aware (The UN guy showing up again and just saying, "I escaped somehow.")

I don't really know how to articulate how I feel about it. It's more of a love letter to the Showa era than anything else, so it's supremely dumb, but all the monsters get to have slightly more distinct personalities than usual. The only thing that actually annoyed me was how bleached out a lot of the scenes looked.

I secretly mark out every time I've watched Don "The Predator" Frye say "There's two things you don't about the Earth: one of them's Godzilla. The other one's me."

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Vs Mechagodzilla is a weird case where I think the concept is cool, but everything it does is done better by Terror of Mechagodzilla. Still, you can't have one without the other, so...

You better not be talking poo poo about my boy King Caesar...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vs MechaGodzilla is worth watching first just so the gag in Terror of MechaGodzilla where Godzilla rips of MechaGodzilla's head only to discover a second, smaller head underneath, is properly set up by that tactic working in the previous film.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

robot roll call posted:

You better not be talking poo poo about my boy King Caesar...

Nah, King Ceasar is fun. It's the aliens and the human plot that I just find super boring.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always forget that it's like a whole musical number to wake up King Caesar.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

yeah i just had the song blast into my head again when i read his name. some real lamb chop poo poo.

comets about to do a marathon again. girlfriends out of town again. cant wait.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Dawgstar posted:

And he instantly eats poo poo, too. He gets his rear end kicked almost as bad as Anguirus did earlier in the movie. It's amazingly mean-spirited. God, I love that movie.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Desumaytah posted:

And he instantly eats poo poo, too. He gets his rear end kicked almost as bad as Anguirus did earlier in the movie. It's amazingly mean-spirited. God, I love that movie.

Speaking of Anguirus, he may be one of my favourite support characters but he gets done dirty. Every. Time. Is he just that low on the list of favorites, or is it just a running joke?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Think it's a bit of a running joke. Over the course of the Showa series he gets his throat torn out, cremated, lifted hundreds of feet into the air and dropped, his eye buzzsawed out and his jaw broken. But maybe that's his appeal, he doesn't have any superpowers or rays, he's a little dopey looking with a mournful roar. But he's always up for it, doesn't back down and most importantly tries his best. We could all learn from Anguirus.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Anguirus is cool because he crawls on his weird human knees and his tail is just this endlessly spiny piece of poo poo that he definitely had to hurt his soul to wag. He didn't get a breath weapon or anything, he was just this poor broken bit of of nature with an admittedly cool spiky shell saddled with just every goddamn disadvantage a giant monster could have in a world of other giant monsters. He had the brain of a Canada Goose or a honey badger though so just gently caress you, just absolutely gently caress you. Like the T Rex from the first King Kong was reincarnated to fight an even more bullshit monster but just decided to run with it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What movie does he and Godzilla talk in? I don’t suppose that English dub made it in to the Criterion set...

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

david_a posted:

What movie does he and Godzilla talk in? I don’t suppose that English dub made it in to the Criterion set...
Looks like Gigan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJMDyWH_ZmE

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

david_a posted:

Yes, that's in Gigan, and no, the dub didn't make it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Is that the Godzilla where Godzilla talks but they have the speech bubbles for what he's saying. Cause I watched that one.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Hollismason posted:

Is that the Godzilla where Godzilla talks but they have the speech bubbles for what he's saying. Cause I watched that one.

Yes, the Japanese version used sort of record-scratching for the monster voices with the speech bubbles. The English dubs used distorted but (mostly) comprehensible voices.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Desumaytah posted:

Anguirus is cool because he crawls on his weird human knees and his tail is just this endlessly spiny piece of poo poo that he definitely had to hurt his soul to wag. He didn't get a breath weapon or anything, he was just this poor broken bit of of nature with an admittedly cool spiky shell saddled with just every goddamn disadvantage a giant monster could have in a world of other giant monsters. He had the brain of a Canada Goose or a honey badger though so just gently caress you, just absolutely gently caress you. Like the T Rex from the first King Kong was reincarnated to fight an even more bullshit monster but just decided to run with it.

It's been said in here before, but Anguirus is to Godzilla is what Krillin is to Goku

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Desumaytah posted:

There is something special about the way he fights. Like, sure, biting onto one of Ghidorah's necks will probably end badly when the Three-Headed Monster takes off to the skies but he don't care. If you told Anguirus 'good luck' he would tell you 'never had it, don't need it.' (In record scratch speech bubbles.)

I liked there was clearly a fan of the 'little' guy on Final Wars, giving him his video game death roll attack and letting him wreck a lot of stuff before being wrecked by Godzilla (if at least not killed).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SnakesRevenge posted:

It's been said in here before, but Anguirus is to Godzilla is what Krillin is to Goku

Hey now krillin got to kill...like maybe a saiyaman that one time? I'm pretty sure he killed something once

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Ironic how Ryuhei Kitamura, a director of violent movies, was instructed by Toho not to include blood in Final Wars with younger views in mind despite the fact that Kitamura wanted to pay homage to the 70s era Godzilla films which had the most blood in the series* and were for kids

then again, Destroyah slicing up G, Biollante getting blown to bits, and G eating Battra's neck might put that into question

Mokelumne Trekka fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 9, 2020

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

SnakesRevenge posted:

They cut to the chase in KOTM and just had him dead in his only appearance.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Golden Gael posted:

They cut to the chase in KOTM and just had him dead in his only appearance.

Angiras was busy filming Rampage so they just made a double for that scene.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Angurius rules, don't hate my spikey boy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Thinking about doing this with my room

https://twitter.com/mothra1224/status/1302553039748780034?s=20

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm the one Godzilla facing into the corner like I'm captured by the Blair Witch.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

At least it's not a creepy shrine to the Mothra Twins.

Anywho, was the Arrow Gamera box set super limited edition or something? It's sold out everywhere and is going for crazy prices on the secondary market. I'd love to get one, but not for $400.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

SnakesRevenge posted:

Angurius shall marry mechagodzilla 2

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Shiftypenguin posted:

Anywho, was the Arrow Gamera box set super limited edition or something? It's sold out everywhere and is going for crazy prices on the secondary market. I'd love to get one, but not for $400.

I think the big box is sold out but I've heard they plan on releasing a regular edition soon as well.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I think the big box is sold out but I've heard they plan on releasing a regular edition soon as well.

Cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Austin continues to have a kaiju infestation -- this time it's the 1933 King Kong on top of downtown's Frost Bank tower:

I've kinda committed to the series and have... four more to go? :shepface:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
King Chonk?

Now I feel I missed an opportunity to get really creative.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fondly remembering that time Angurius got murdered by Mechagodzilla and is never seen again until the Millenium era.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

W E L P

https://twitter.com/vintagehenshin/status/1308615677188636673?s=21

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know no one was talking about the racist poo poo in KKVSGodzilla seriously before this why the gently caress would you

Goddamnit

Like yeah, anyone with half a brain would go yikes to the brown and black face in that movie, but it's also a Japanese movie from the 60s. It's a cringe and move on kind of situation because its not like its as racially charged as it would be if Americans or UK dipshits did it.

Most people understand that- they also don't need to defend the dumb thing that Toho is probably hoping people continue ignoring. It's like the yellow face in Doctor Who, the polite thing is to loving not say anything except condemn it for what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was talking about it and it sucks, like the movie.