Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss

Here's another cool thing you can do with a scan or photograph of a drawing

Step 1: Draw line art with whatever pencil or pen you have and then scan it or take a photo of it. Take the scan/photo and set the saturation to 0% and ramp up the contrast pretty high and you get nice line art

Then just be lazy again and magic wand select the background and delete it

Next step: Magic wand select the white and transparent areas then do select -> inverse. This is the lazy way to eliminate aliasing issues and make the lines a little more solid and inky. Use a brush to draw everything in one color to get solid line art, then start using other colors to distinguish outlines between different things, keeping your current selection the entire time so you don't color outside the lines

Next, create a layer behind the line art and fill each section in with a lighter color. BIG ART TIP FOR NEWBIES: Don't just fill a section with a brighter/darker version of the same color. To fill in the brown rocks I mixed in some yellow. I also mixed in some yellow with the green in the plans. For the buildings I shifted the blue toward purple

Then to add in some special effects I select the white and move it to its own layer on the top, then create a 25% opacity layer beneath it and add some glass color to the dome that you might not see in my post yet because it's very similar to byob background colors

Next take a photo from the NASA astronomy photo of the day

And as a final step look up the NASA Image Use Policy to make sure the image can be used for commercial purposes :thumbsup: then shamelessly participate in capitalism by selling it as a t-shirt and collect those internet dollars

And insert a SEO-friendly link:
'Are you there, Saturn? We need a new home.' T-Shirt by @bleaksploitation

Total time start to finish: 1 hour and 12 minutes, including time spent cuddling with a cat, but not including time spent on the original drawing in the first place, I drew it months ago it's part of this:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers

fuk yea

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

The_Rob posted:

I bought a sketchbook out of Boredom. so I’ve been drawing lovely portraits of wrestlers.

Pls don't dox me

3D Megadoodoo

Hmm I shouldn't have looked at the other posts before uploading my would-have-been masterpiss "Man in green shirt wearing Hankkijapipo" that was ruined by the not-highliter-proof biro, because now I feel it isn't quite up to par.

But I'll post it anyway :mmmhmm:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Hmm I shouldn't have looked at the other posts before uploading my would-have-been masterpiss "Man in green shirt wearing Hankkijapipo" that was ruined by the not-highliter-proof biro, because now I feel it isn't quite up to par.

But I'll post it anyway :mmmhmm:

I feel it

Prof. Crocodile

i sculpt small aminals from clay, paint them, add uplifting/depressing sayings, tag them with a dedicated instagram #

then when i travel i leave aminals behind for strangers to find

i am kicking off a new batch of aminals with a birb:

if you are curious as to what finished aminals look like here is a random sampling:

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

i sculpt small aminals from clay, paint them, add uplifting/depressing sayings, tag them with a dedicated instagram #

if you are curious as to what finished aminals look like here is a random sampling:

I'd probably take a picture of any of these if I saw it. I wouldn't take it because I would assume someone would come looking for it eventually (unless it was there for several days but someone else would probably just snag it first). These are really cool, and leaving them as gifts is a really cool idea.

sig by owlhawk911

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Prof. Crocodile posted:

real into this, esp the frog

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Literally A Person

Smugworth Wuz Here

Prof. Crocodile posted:

These are all so wonderful. I love that elephant. I don't know what else to say really but I would love to find one in the wild.

https://giant.gfycat.com/SizzlingThickIbis.mp4
THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH vanisher

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Prof. Crocodile posted:

This is very good

deep dish peat moss

I've been working on coloring this digitally so I can use it as a wallpaper or something. It's not done yet because this is a lot slower than I thought!!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 24, 2020

Literally A Person

Smugworth Wuz Here

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been working on coloring this digitally so I can use it as a wallpaper or something. It's not done yet because this is a lot slower than I thought!!

:allears:

I really do love your stuff. Totally been rockin' my new t-shirt, the printing is pretty spiffy.

Star Me Kitten
This guy sells t shirts of this? That is pretty cool.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

deep dish peat moss

I'm used to pretty much only coloring things in flat shades with actual acrylic or pen or whatever, and I also have never mixed traditional scanned drawing with adding additional detail in photoshop while coloring so I'm just trying new things here

From this scanned pen drawing:

Even just all of that has been a ton of work I am really not looking forward to shading the clouds in particular

Macnult

i really like the mixture of scanned drawings with digital additions. those shaded clouds are gonna be so worth it i feel like

deep dish peat moss

I'm not sure yet how I feel about this method for the clouds:

I used a very low flow rate airbrush to paint shadows and highlights on them, then on another layer above them I painted a low opacity grey "mist" highlighting them and around their edges. Then I put a lens flare on the layer with the greys to emulate light shining on the tops of the clouds and diffusing throughout them. I think it looks kind of sloppy so maybe I'll re-do it but :effort: But it did at least clearly separate the line art bits like the buildings and vehicles from the clouds.

Maybe have a layer of clouds over the cars on the road and obscuring part of the skyline too

And of course I can still mess with the color, I'm having a real hard time settling on a color for the sky + clouds

Doing it this way has one pretty major benefit, it will let me get very creative with having various lights (windows, headlights, neon signs I'll add to buildings, whatever) that diffuse through the clouds and create neat glow effects that will make the city pop and seem livelier

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 26, 2020

Macnult

i like the brightness of the clouds. it looks like there's a lot going on, but with a lighter color it feels less overwhelming

Macnult

from a few days ago

Literally A Person

Smugworth Wuz Here

Macnult posted:

from a few days ago

These are not only really cool to look at but that little story is awesome.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Macnult posted:

from a few days ago

:love: everything about these

deep dish peat moss

I have the next 8 days off from work, one of the things I want to do is put together a bunch of somewhat generic landscapes that I can use for some unknown project (either a comic book or a video game or something, idk) anyway here's the one I started this afternoon

I'll probably draw different foregrounds and backgrounds and then combine them modularly

I've always sorta wanted to make a CYOA game using Twine or something like that so that's kind of what's on my mind

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 31, 2020

deep dish peat moss

Anyway so the thing I want to make is basically a cosmic horror graphic novel and/or interactive fiction type thing and I need to make it both spookier and livelier

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 31, 2020

Macnult

i’m digging the progress you’ve made with it. have you thought about experimenting with clouds in the sky? it might carry over from the previous thing you were working on

deep dish peat moss

Sort of. I've been trying to do a kind of volumetric clouds thing with light shining off the moon

I don't really have it where I want it though. Here's a bigger version of where it's at right now

The_Rob

Blah blah blah blah!!
I drew more lovely portraits of wrestlers.

Musluk

Did something over the weekend I'm actually really happ about :

Art Deco is evil.

Lovin' this cute li'l frog!

Vanisheerrrrrr!!!

nut

The_Rob posted:

goddamn that jake the snake

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
The_Rob you should do pics on non-wrestlers too imo, you're very good!

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Literally A Person

Smugworth Wuz Here

The_Rob posted:

Jake the Snake is putting a huge loving grin on my face right now.

Prof. Crocodile

Literally A Person posted:

Jake the Snake is putting a huge loving grin on my face right now.

agree. that is an av-worthy JtS.

The_Rob

Blah blah blah blah!!
I wanted Jake to look like he was up to something.

Prof. Crocodile

Musluk posted:

Did something over the weekend I'm actually really happ about :

how did i miss this dude? i love this!

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
If Y'all ever want some very amateur quality sketching done, let me know! I need an excuse to draw again.

Chewbecca

Zurtilik posted:

If Y'all ever want some very amateur quality sketching done, let me know! I need an excuse to draw again.

Don't talkabout the amateur sketching, do it and then post it itt

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Fiiiine

Chewbecca

:hfive:

deep dish peat moss

I got a tablet and I've been working on this to figure out how to use it

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

i really really like your art :love:

Macnult

love how clean this looks

Adbot