Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Regalingualius posted:

It’s almost impossible to take the Boss from MGS3 completely seriously ever again once you find out her voice actress is also Pearl from Spongebob.

Oh my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
When I hear a Scott Menville performance, I don't hear Robin, I hear Kevin French.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Regalingualius posted:

It’s almost impossible to take the Boss from MGS3 completely seriously ever again once you find out her voice actress is also Pearl from Spongebob.

WHAT

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Regalingualius posted:

Also the news lady from Family Guy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Kinda like when you find out that DCAU Lex Luthor and Mister Krabs are both voiced by Clancy Brown

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjfPySu-Tlk

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When I hear the crystal lady from FInal Fantasy XIV' all I can hear is

Rend, slaughter, devour enemies. There is no other way to survive, children of purgatory.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Also the news lady from Family Guy.

wait what? seriously? i'm listening to them both and i don't hear it.

finding out shredder was uncle phil was one of the most :monocle: cartoon VA moments for sure

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr Interweb posted:

wait what? seriously? i'm listening to them both and i don't hear it.

finding out shredder was uncle phil was one of the most :monocle: cartoon VA moments for sure

Which news lady are you listening to? Cause I remember her voice and I can hear it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

Which news lady are you listening to? Cause I remember her voice and I can hear it.

i haven't seen family guy recently, but i'm talking about the one that used to appear with tom tucker in the early seasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LRpmR52nrM

now compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqFlrKFwALY&t=11s

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr Interweb posted:

i haven't seen family guy recently, but i'm talking about the one that used to appear with tom tucker in the early seasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LRpmR52nrM

now compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqFlrKFwALY&t=11s

That was Ms. Puff. They said Pearl. This is Pearl.

https://youtu.be/ne2IyuZ13oY

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Covok posted:

That was Ms. Puff. They said Pearl. This is Pearl.

https://youtu.be/ne2IyuZ13oY

oh whoops lol

okay yes, i do hear her now, and holy poo poo.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I wonder if Lilith has an intense hair routine to keep it straight like that when it's naturally even poofier and more unruly than Eda's.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

JazzFlight posted:

EDIT: Ok, one more thing, and it’s a positive. I think it was super clever that Grace wears those shoplifting tags as accessories. Very cool.

:monocle: oh my god, that's what they are! I was trying to figure it out throughout the season.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I Am Fowl posted:

I wonder if Lilith has an intense hair routine to keep it straight like that when it's naturally even poofier and more unruly than Eda's.

I feel like there should be a moment where they talk about hair and Luz is all like 'I just cut mine short' and they fall silent.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Is Amity's drive to join the Emperor's Coven her own, or is it something she's doing because of parental pressure? In either case, why aren't the twins in consideration for it? They seem extremely magically competent as well as ruthless.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
So when do you think we'll get our first gay(m/m) kids show main protagonist? I think the closest we have so far is Benson in Kipo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Beachcomber posted:

So when do you think we'll get our first gay(m/m) kids show main protagonist? I think the closest we have so far is Benson in Kipo.

Soon, but it’s going to be an absolute uphill struggle because wlw is acceptable queer content, but mlm is still regarded as icky. :/

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Beachcomber posted:

Is there anything in the pipeline that could concievably have a gay/bi/pan male lead? I have no idea what is even in development at the moment that fits that bill apart from He-Man, and studios are definitely too cowardly to pull that particular trigger.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I can maybe see Infinity Train having a queer/gay/mlm protagonist at some point, because they’re not permanent.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just binged the first 4 seasons of She Ra. Wow, Catra's arc is devastating. She's trapped herself in the ultimate sunk cost fallacy and only gets worse and worse. Looking forward to season 5, i'll start to watch that tomorrow after work.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BioEnchanted posted:

I've just binged the first 4 seasons of She Ra. Wow, Catra's arc is devastating. She's trapped herself in the ultimate sunk cost fallacy and only gets worse and worse. Looking forward to season 5, i'll start to watch that tomorrow after work.

I am looking forward to your retrospective once you've concluded the series.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The_Doctor posted:

Soon, but it’s going to be an absolute uphill struggle because wlw is acceptable queer content, but mlm is still regarded as icky. :/

Is w[pipe]w and m[pipe]m now the preferred usage over /? To me, it looks like an l[ell].

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I think The Doctor was shortening "woman loving woman" and "man loving man" as wlw and mlm, with an l instead of a |. They're slightly older terms often used in sex education cirriculum, since they're pretty self evident. The goal is/was to separate homosexuality as a personal identity from the actual act of homosexual intercourse. (if say someone doesn't think of themself as gay but still does sex work, or older guys who might be closeted or have personal reason not to identify as such.)

I do enjoy the term men piping men tho, gonna start using that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

T-man posted:

I think The Doctor was shortening "woman loving woman" and "man loving man" as wlw and mlm, with an l instead of a |. They're slightly older terms often used in sex education cirriculum, since they're pretty self evident. The goal is/was to separate homosexuality as a personal identity from the actual act of homosexual intercourse. (if say someone doesn't think of themself as gay but still does sex work, or older guys who might be closeted or have personal reason not to identify as such.)

I do enjoy the term men piping men tho, gonna start using that.

:hai: Exactly why I was doing, yes.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Beachcomber posted:

Didn’t twelve forever have one?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

thelaughingman posted:

Didn’t twelve forever have one?

I didn't watch it, but as the main protagonist is a lady-type, that would put it on the same level as Kipo.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Beachcomber posted:

Shiro from Voltron doesn't count, because they only let him kiss a guy in the very last scene of the series, but I still want more gay protagonists like Shiro, where being gay isn't that big deal and he's just a cool big brother to the rest of the team that also happens to like guys.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Voltron queerbaited Lance and Keith for way too long as well.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Really? I didn't see it. Good excuse to rewatch Voltron though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“We had a bonding moment! I cradled you in my arms!”

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 7, 2020

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

The_Doctor posted:

Voltron queerbaited Hunk and Keith for way too long as well.

:colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Now that’s some wishful thinking.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think Lance and Keith was really just a shipping thing, right? They're just two cute guys who spend a lot of time disliking each other. Shiro, sure, I always got that vibe from him. But I definitely don't think they were queerbaiting Lance and Keith. I honestly think the writers were so straight they had no idea "two teen boys are rivals" was shipping fuel.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The_Doctor posted:

Now that’s some wishful thinking.

Shipping and wishful thinking are basically synonyms.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Didn't the Voltron showrunners basically snap from the weirdly high-intensity shipping wars?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The intensity of the Voltron shipping wars is, indeed, really strange. Somehow this relatively bland kids' show about giant robots in space has more vehement shippers than, like, Supernatural or Sherlock did at their peak.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The Voltron shipping shitstorms were so weird to see from a distance. The entire fanbase had basically devolved into Nice Guy behavior on a macro scale with the writers and series, so when the finale came out they went completely ballistic over not getting what they "deserved".

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't know if this info is correct, so take this with a grain of salt, but I heard that the main reason why Voltron crashed and burned was because the head writer quit and they couldn't use the script/story that was written by that writer. So any relationship weirdness that occurs in the later seasons might be because they had to make poo poo up.