Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That should work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

apparently there was a post on the ubisoft faq/site that ps5 wouldnt have any pre-ps4 BC but it got deleted

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

All I care about is PS4 BC. I want to be able to play Burnout Paradise, Subnautica, and No Man's Sky. The first two are deal-breakers (little jones loves them); the third is a strong nice-to-have (gonna play it with him eventually). I also have a massive backlog that would be nice to play but tbh dadlyfe means I'll probably never get to them anyway so it's not a huge problem if I have to bust out the PS4 to do so in ten years or something.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

What would be really nice would be to be able to download your PS3 digital games and play them. That’s really what I would like to be able to do.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They may choose to have the PS5 reject PS4 games that are not certified just to fully cover their asses, but to me it sounds more like "we will not support this" than "the system will not play this." Support doesn't mean it won't work, it means that if some game runs into a weird edge case with the PS5's emulation, they aren't responsible because they didn't promise you anything. They're just choosing to make that guarantee for the most valuable games for the testing and fixing work, and for future games they can just add it to PS4 certification and the developers will do it case by case.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
things like PS1 emulsion can't be about technology at this point because they did it on the PS3 so do you think it's more about publisher pressure so they can release remasters of old games at $40 instead of letting people with discs play them for free?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They have the files on psn ready to go to any device they want. They didnt renegotiate to put ps1 classics on vita afaik they just let you grab the file just like for ps3

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Caphi posted:

They may choose to have the PS5 reject PS4 games that are not certified just to fully cover their asses, but to me it sounds more like "we will not support this" than "the system will not play this." Support doesn't mean it won't work, it means that if some game runs into a weird edge case with the PS5's emulation, they aren't responsible because they didn't promise you anything. They're just choosing to make that guarantee for the most valuable games for the testing and fixing work, and for future games they can just add it to PS4 certification and the developers will do it case by case.

There was a Whitelist on the Vita for PS1 classics so I doubt this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

things like PS1 emulsion can't be about technology at this point because they did it on the PS3 so do you think it's more about publisher pressure so they can release remasters of old games at $40 instead of letting people with discs play them for free?

Yeah, there's no technical limitations and never have been. Like with those PSP rereleases on PS4 just bundled with a fully functional PSP emulator. They just want more money.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There was also a PSP emulator on PS3 that's compatible with like half the PSP library if you homebrew but was only officially used for 3 or 4 games

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah i'm extremely confident that the PS5 will play every PS4 game, but there are goons holding out hope that you'll be able to pop your Syphon Filter or Tenchu discs from 1998 into your PS5 and play them which is... like, lol
Again, though, you'll be able to pop some of your Xbox discs from 2002 or whatever in an Xbox Series X and play those games so it's not unreasonable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They got permission for each one and did a ton of work building custom wrappers for each of them. Sony probably not going to do anything like that since they still make games people buy

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
To be fair, we've only gone one generation without PSX backwards compatibility. You couldn't pop Tenchu 1 into your PS4, but you could with your PS3.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Until I hear otherwise my gut is telling me that every game anyone has heard of on PS4 will run on PS5, but I could see some fringe super-jank terrible titles like Life of Black Tiger to have issues. But if a game was ever put on a disc it'll work.

We're in a weird situation where while it's more of a coincidence, both Sony and Nintendo had a huge ramping up of their market success with the gen immediately following them ditching backwards compatibility outright. There are over 100 million PS4s out there and the vast majority of owners don't care at all to play games from PS1, PS2 or PS3, and the few who do can mostly get by with a PS2 or PS3 just fine. If the BC was such a "must have" thing, the Xbox One would be doing a hell of a lot better than it currently is.

Likewise, how many aren't buying a Switch at all on principle because of how the NES/SNES and other retro titles are being handled? It sucks and I'd rather they didn't do it that way, sure, but I still have a Switch and buy games on it. I have hacked Wiis and a Wii U with all the retro games on them, and they're all in storage now. :shrug:

I think the bigger challenge Sony has to overcome any "Xbox is better" narrative for is to improve its PS Now offerings, which is happening, albeit slowly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think they’ll push full BC because otherwise the gulf of value between the diskless SKU and the disk SKU become dramatically wider, and they want to push diskless. A discless SKU can’t play old PSX games because there aren’t digital versions of those games. That doesn’t seem like something they would do.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Theres digital versions of ps1 games.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I just want the PS1-PS3 games available in some form. I don't have any expectation that I'm gonna put it in a disc and it's going to work.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I just want the PS1-PS3 games available in some form. I don't have any expectation that I'm gonna put it in a disc and it's going to work.

Why not? They managed to do it in 2001, they can do it now. They just don't care.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i’m gonna play the life of black tiger in 4k:60fps and have a time

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

Why not? They managed to do it in 2001, they can do it now. They just don't care.

It’s not that they don’t care, it’s that spending millions of dollars to get backwards compatibility for PS1 games makes them literally zero money, so why would they?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I don't actually expect PS1/PS2 compatibility but it would be cool if they at least started dumping PS1 and PS2 games onto PSN in greater numbers. They probably won't though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s not that they don’t care, it’s that spending millions of dollars to get backwards compatibility for PS1 games makes them literally zero money, so why would they?

Why do backwards compatibility for any PS4 games then?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8th gen digital library inertia will be among the biggest factors in choosing a 9th gen cobsole for consumers because they cant cash out a digital collection like they could with a box of discs when they wanted to switch.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

wa27 posted:

Transplanting the 100 million PS4 users to the immediate next generation makes more sense than holding out hope that the 10%-15% of gamers who replay 20 year old games will adopt a brand new console on day 1.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

wa27 posted:

Cerny’s Master Plan was after the development headaches of the PS3 he convinced his bosses that they should go PC architecture from then on. It would make backwards compatibility possible between all future consoles, hardware would be cheaper to manufacture and easier to develop for

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I want to buy God Hand again on PS5

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I want to buy God Hand again on PS5

:hai:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Transplanting the 100 million PS4 users to the immediate next generation makes more sense than holding out hope that the 10%-15% of gamers who replay 20 year old games will adopt a brand new console on day 1.

Not a chance of it being as high as 10%. I’d be surprised if it was even as high as 2%.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The difference between having backwards compatibility with PS4 or not is that right now I plan on getting a PS5 by the end of 2021 if I can keep clearing my backlog but in a better console or just wait until 2023 or more and get all I want from PS5 but way cheaper.

I'm not going to spend let's say 500€ on a console next year when I rather get a new PC and just wait foe PS5 revisions and cheap as hell PS5 games. I'll be that 2% or less market I guess.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

univbee posted:

Not a chance of it being as high as 10%. I’d be surprised if it was even as high as 2%.

Yeah that’s sort of my line of thinking as well. The sort of gamer who clings to their old favorite discs and is heavily invested in replaying their old games forever seems like the absolute last person SONY would care about catering a brand new console towards. There are plenty of lifelong SONY fans and consumers who will fork over their cash without the expectation that every video game they have ever previously bought will still work smoothly and look great.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can't have both though. You can't assume that 1% to 0% of people care about old games while also ensuring that the majority of "new" games you put out are remakes of beloved classics. That just doesn't make sense.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I think almost every PS1 Classic I bought was a game I'd heard good things about but never played before. Supporting older systems isn't just letting people play old discs, it's selling classic content to new buyers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

You can't have both though. You can't assume that 1% to 0% of people care about old games while also ensuring that the majority of "new" games you put out are remakes of beloved classics. That just doesn't make sense.

I don’t know how many 19-24 year olds you have in your life, but most of them couldn’t give a hot fart about older games/movies/TV shows at all. Remastering a popular game with updated graphics (Shadow of the Collossus, for example, or Demon Souls this winter) will get new hands and eyes on an old game in a way that simply allowing people to play a PS2 game on their PS5 would not.

Another way to think about it is $$$.

Allowing players to play games they already own = no new money

Allowing players to buy games they may already own by remastering them = less than the cost of producing a new game, but also a huge influx of money for a game that already exists

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Just get a vita or pstv and you can play most psx games

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hkDwa4KtVg

Densha De Go! Hashirou Yamanote Sen (Let's Run Along the Yamanote Line) will release on PS4 in Japan on December 3rd (there will also be a Switch version but at a later date). The PS4 version will have a PSVR mode.

This is the first DDG game for consoles in 10 years (the last one was on regular DS).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Are they gonna release a densha controller though

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Are they gonna release a densha controller though

they loving better. it’ll probably cost as much as the PS5 will, though.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

univbee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hkDwa4KtVg

Densha De Go! Hashirou Yamanote Sen (Let's Run Along the Yamanote Line) will release on PS4 in Japan on December 3rd (there will also be a Switch version but at a later date). The PS4 version will have a PSVR mode.

This is the first DDG game for consoles in 10 years (the last one was on regular DS).

hell yes. i take it from the title that this is just the yamanote line, which is kind of a bummer but this is still cool... the level of detail looks completely insane

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Spoderman posted:

hell yes. i take it from the title that this is just the yamanote line, which is kind of a bummer but this is still cool... the level of detail looks completely insane

I think there are other lines actually, that's just the "main event" of sorts, and will include some very recent expansions to that line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
I guess all the smart people in this thread know this already, so this one is for my fellow dummies.

All the good first party Playstation exclusives are branded as Playstation Hits on the PS Store and are discounted until the 16th, so if you're looking to get some good games registered to your account for supposed PS5 upscaling features you can pick up God of War for 15 euros and other such good deals.