Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Hi there! Needing a recommendation a really good chair, Gaming or otherwise so long as it doesn't turn your back into jelly and is super comfortable. Wanna help out a friend of mine who is using a loving 30 dollar walmart office chair

vEDIT: poo poo! My bad, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

there's a chair thread, check it out. Just be sure to include a budget because chairs range in price a lot.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243&pagenumber=89#lastpost

There's decent IKEA ones as a basic choice, FLINTAN and the fancier MARKUS are decent.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm looking for an under desk PC mount to go with my standing desk that can fit my fat rear end Lian-Li 011 Dynamic. It's 10.7" wide and I've only seen ones that go up to 10" width. Any one else have one?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

KingKapalone posted:

I'm looking for an under desk PC mount to go with my standing desk that can fit my fat rear end Lian-Li 011 Dynamic. It's 10.7" wide and I've only seen ones that go up to 10" width. Any one else have one?

Not the prettiest, but it reports to supports a case of that size - 1home Economical CPU Holder Under-Desk.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Koskun posted:

Not the prettiest, but it reports to supports a case of that size - 1home Economical CPU Holder Under-Desk.

drat, that one is wide enough but it wouldn't be able to attach to most desks because of the frame.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Anyone have some recommendations for this mess?

Length doesn't really matter much; I can move stuff around. Just looking for something with a top I can put the printer/scanner on, and some drawers I can throw all the random poo poo in. I guess I could just get a cheap dresser, but I was wondering if any of you goons had a better recommendation.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for this mess?

Length doesn't really matter much; I can move stuff around. Just looking for something with a top I can put the printer/scanner on, and some drawers I can throw all the random poo poo in. I guess I could just get a cheap dresser, but I was wondering if any of you goons had a better recommendation.

Yeah, cheap dresser or pantry cupboard off Craigslist.

I guess if you want to look ~modern~, then look into Ikea Kallax. (Or knockoff.)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I like Ikea's Alex range for office storage. Lots of shallower drawers is easier to keep organised compared to deeper drawers that end up filled with jumble.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 30, 2020

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I recently moved and I now have the space/authority/$ to experiment compared to my old 550sqft bedroom/office setup:

Which was nice, but not 10+ hours-a-day-nice, because I'll be working from home until the sun explodes at this rate.

Are there any complexities to buying a clamp on multi-monitor stand? I've never used or bought one before. All I can think of is to make sure the mount dimensions match my monitor's (300x200mm, whatev.) and whether or not it needs to screw into my desk/wall vs. a friction fit? Is there a term or feature that has customizable preset locations for standing/sitting or movie/game positions? That would be a nice option.

Is there anything I should consider or avoid? I assume my 60"x30"x1" desk can handle whatever is out there, right?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A Humanscale M2 arm has a bolt you can run through a cable hole and secure it that way, I imagine comparable products are the same.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Roumba posted:

I recently moved and I now have the space/authority/$ to experiment compared to my old 550sqft bedroom/office setup:

Which was nice, but not 10+ hours-a-day-nice, because I'll be working from home until the sun explodes at this rate.

Are there any complexities to buying a clamp on multi-monitor stand? I've never used or bought one before. All I can think of is to make sure the mount dimensions match my monitor's (300x200mm, whatev.) and whether or not it needs to screw into my desk/wall vs. a friction fit? Is there a term or feature that has customizable preset locations for standing/sitting or movie/game positions? That would be a nice option.

Is there anything I should consider or avoid? I assume my 60"x30"x1" desk can handle whatever is out there, right?

You shouldn't have any issues with that desk and the weight of a monitor arm. The key things to look at are width to accommodate the monitors you want, and that it can support the weight of the monitors.

There are some that do clamp to the desktop, and those usually have some sort of non-slip mat in them, which also helps to not mar up the desktop surface. There are others that as skooma512 mentioned, bolt through a desk top. Some offer an option for both.

In my experience, something that actually attaches to the surface, whether it is a bolt through the desk, or screws into the desk surface (sometimes screw holes are there on clamp ones), are less prone to wobble than ones that just clamp on. I say this as I have 3 monitor's on 2 different types of arms. My center monitor is on what I was using for a dual setup, but since it's a 32" ultrawide it takes up the entire thing now. I got a couple of clamp on ones from a used computer store for the other two monitors, and while they are well built and clamp to the desk very well, they wobble if the desk is bumped. The center monitor takes a lot for it to move. This may be something you want to take note of if you plan on adjusting the desk height often.

Preset positions isn't something I've really heard of as an option on a monitor stand honestly. Mine are set and there they stay, but they make ones that allow you to move them rather freely on an arm or on the mounting point (the vesa mount), so that style might be what you want rather than a set arm type.

Some quick searching got me these two:
Vivo model
Mount-It model

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I mean, at work (lol no idea when I'm actually going back to work) they use clamp-on arms and they work fine.

The Vivo brand arm I got for my home desk had both options and I just went with the clamp. It's pretty solid.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

My current setup, I like it. Big screen at 1080p to see better and the chair is comfortable. Trackball for ease of mousing and the keyboard is nice and light, I put it on my lap.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is that an rpi in a case?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

That is definitely a Pi or Pi-like.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The Vivo dual monitor arm is sturdy, easy to setup, and offers a pretty long height to adjust along. You can also get attachments to extend the vertical adjustment range of the mounts.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Yep sure is, 4gb pi 4 in
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086KTMZLX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The smaller form Ice Tower heat sink + the nice aluminum case.
But is my linux mini-itx is right behind the tv. I switch back and forth between inputs. The RP just has a Retropi on it.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

excellent bird guy posted:

My current setup, I like it. Big screen at 1080p to see better and the chair is comfortable. Trackball for ease of mousing and the keyboard is nice and light, I put it on my lap.

What keyboard is that?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Weaponized Autism posted:

What keyboard is that?

looks like an Aukey KM-G9

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I'm looking for more keys for my current home setup. I don't want to reassign keys on my keyboard, I want an entirely distinct set of keys that I can assign specific commands to. One example is I want a dedicated key for push-to-talk. Currently I'm using option + ` and it causes a lot of issues where, if I push to talk on a text field (often the case since I'm a software developer) I end up putting a bunch of tildes in my code. I want keys that aren't already affiliated with anything. Not sure what to search for online with this, but if anyone has ideas or recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
You probably want a macro pad, or maybe an external numpad where you remap the buttons to button combos you don't use. Pair it with autohotkey as well for more functionality!

I got the DIY version of this and it's worked pretty well, but that's the term to Google to find other options afaik.

E: these are almost certainly better options unless you also actively want to get into this dumb keyboard hobby vv

foutre fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 4, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Iirc there are also function keys beyond what normally appear on a keyboard you can map to things if you have a programmable board / autohotkey script.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Verisimilidude posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I'm looking for more keys for my current home setup. I don't want to reassign keys on my keyboard, I want an entirely distinct set of keys that I can assign specific commands to. One example is I want a dedicated key for push-to-talk. Currently I'm using option + ` and it causes a lot of issues where, if I push to talk on a text field (often the case since I'm a software developer) I end up putting a bunch of tildes in my code. I want keys that aren't already affiliated with anything. Not sure what to search for online with this, but if anyone has ideas or recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it!

How handy are you, and what software are you trying to control? A button box is a fairly simple electronics project using a microcontroller like a Teensy that does keyboard/mouse/gamepad emulation. It also depends on what inputs software would detect. For example, on Discord you can assign PTT to a gamepad button, but other software you might have to assign buttons to keyboard macros... but then you'll still run into the same issue of conflicting keyboard inputs.

If you aren't willing to make one yourself, I think your options are limited. The only commercial button box I know of is Stream Deck but I think their software is tailored specifically to streaming.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
If a mouse with an extra thumb button or two isn't acceptable for push-to-talk in your case because you are primarily working with both hands on the keyboard and if voice activation will not work for you (bad mix, noise, privacy, etc.), maybe instead of a new keyboard you could try to get a cheap foot switch or pedal for PTT?

But, if your voice chat program does not natively recognize JOYBUTTON23 or whatever it is as a legit input and you'd have to macro it into some other accepted key/button.

I've never done it myself, but I have heard of others doing it online, ages ago.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Thanks for the responses! I'm not particularly interested in buying something to build, but if that's my only option I'll see what I can do. I'm also on a Mac which seems to bring up some issues of compatibility. I found a way to program a button on my mouse for push to talk via mouse 3, so hopefully that doesn't conflict with anything too gravely. The only functionality I can think of that it might conflict with is closing tabs, but I can be careful with that.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Finally finished redoing my work area. I think I'm finally happy with it... for now.

Not pictured:
Mess of an electronics work area
Custom painted case

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Elucidarius posted:

Finally finished redoing my work area. I think I'm finally happy with it... for now.

Not pictured:
Mess of an electronics work area
Custom painted case

What's the numpad? And is it mechanical?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

I need a 6' work bench that is sturdy and will look decent inside of my house.

Ideally it would be about counter heights so I can stand at it without bending over (I'm 5' 9"). I don't need it to be dynamically adjustable or anything.

What are some suggestions you might have that would keep me under $650?

What kind of work are you going to do on the bench?

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

What's the numpad? And is it mechanical?

Yeah it's mechanical. It's a combination of two things:
Macropad
3D printed stand

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

GEMorris posted:

What kind of work are you going to do on the bench?

Computing and soldering

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Computing and soldering

Yeah then the husky metal frame with wood top benches at home depot someone else linked should do you fine for the budget. If it was for woodworking I'd have opinions man

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
got a new house so moved my office out of the basement.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like the setup! The wall is pretty neat as well. Did you do that?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Can't wait to dust my walls.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Hed posted:

I like the setup! The wall is pretty neat as well. Did you do that?

yeah. a few boxes of 3d Tiles off amazon. i’m a remote worker (even before COVID) so thought it would be a cool background on meetings.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Hey, sup 3D wall buddy. You've inspired me to finally post (really bad) pictures of my setup.

Room lights on:

Just desk lights:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Which JBL's are those and what wall mounts did you use?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Photex posted:

Which JBL's are those and what wall mounts did you use?

306 MkIIs held up by these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9O8SI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's hard to see in the pictures but there's a Monoprice Stage Right 10" sub opposite the tower as well.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

WTFBEES posted:

306 MkIIs held up by these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9O8SI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's hard to see in the pictures but there's a Monoprice Stage Right 10" sub opposite the tower as well.

Perfect I have the same JBLs was wondering if anyone ever mounted them, did you use the hardware into a stud or just buy some toggle bolts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Photex posted:

Perfect I have the same JBLs was wondering if anyone ever mounted them, did you use the hardware into a stud or just buy some toggle bolts

Everything you see there is mounted straight into 1/2" plywood (backed by 2x4s) that acts as a façade to run cables behind. Otherwise I used the included hardware.

I think they may have included drywall anchors and the like, but I don't think I'd trust them with speakers this heavy. The mounts are nicer than expected for $30 though. Can easily recommend them.