Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TheLoneStar posted:

It's more people that think she still has a chance when she's become increasingly less relevant as time went on. It's more of a dead horse situation.

There's been "this person is joining the crew" speculation at least as far back as Paulie during Water 7/Enies Lobby, but also Carrot has been with the Hats for 2.5 straight arcs now, so it's weird to call her "less relevant" or that this is a "dead horse" situation. She's probably going to have a few moments in the remainder of this arc and at the very least have a tearful goodbye and will probably even be a relevant member on the mink crew Straw Hat Armada. Calling it this early and acting like it's a foregone conclusion seems pretty shortsighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
maybe it was coming from a place of hurt from all the jimbei slander over the years

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

There's been "this person is joining the crew" speculation at least as far back as Paulie during Water 7/Enies Lobby, but also Carrot has been with the Hats for 2.5 straight arcs now, so it's weird to call her "less relevant" or that this is a "dead horse" situation. She's probably going to have a few moments in the remainder of this arc and at the very least have a tearful goodbye and will probably even be a relevant member on the mink crew Straw Hat Armada. Calling it this early and acting like it's a foregone conclusion seems pretty shortsighted.
Sure she's been around, but that's about it. A majority of the time she's just kinda there, maybe taking out a generic soldier or two. Her Sulong form was her one time to shine and she's said maybe thirty words in Wano so far. I do agree she'll probably be part of the Armada, but not a part of the actual crew.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

She's been around for like four years and only talked to Luffy like once.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Nice how they just sort of offhandedly mentioned that Oars and his lot are "ancient giants"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Guy A. Person posted:

Calling it this early and acting like it's a foregone conclusion seems pretty shortsighted.

not only is it shortsighted, it's irritating and meaningless

"I hope Carrot isn't a part of the Straw Hats" wow what a fun and refreshing take that everyone gives a huge gently caress about

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Everyone liked the Luffy v Ussop fight.

Few liked what the fight had to say about being Luffy's crew member.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Jinbe can't recreate the leg on the barrel scene with everyone else because he has tiny stupid legs and even if he got on a highchair has no goals, dreams or motivation anyway.

xxx
This meme brought to you by:

Garchu Gang

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

danzaroo posted:

For anyone upset that Carrot didn't make the cut in this chapter's spread, I got you.

This is amazing. :swoon:

Ryaomon posted:

Jinbe can't recreate the leg on the barrel scene with everyone else because he has tiny stupid legs and even if he got on a highchair has no goals, dreams or motivation anyway.

xxx

Garchu Gang

Jinbei's dream is to die heroically.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 7, 2020

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
My only issue with Jimbei as a Straw Hat is that he's not selfish enough, if that makes sense. What does he want to accomplish personally (as opposed to his wishes for fishmen in general or even for the world as a whole)? But there's room to add something like that, I guess; he's the helmsman, so maybe he really wants to steer a ship through the nearly-impassable currents beyond Lodestar, or something like that.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

He wants to support Luffy that’s his whole thing he says it all the time

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Jinbei is Luffy's dad now.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Familial relationship ended with DRAGON.
Now JINBEI is my best dad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

danzaroo posted:

For anyone upset that Carrot didn't make the cut in this chapter's spread, I got you.

Oh god are you the guy who did the Fake Hat drawing from years back?

Cause they were part of the reason I joined SA in the first place.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

He wants to support Luffy that’s his whole thing he says it all the time

So does everybody else on the crew. As well as 80% of the supporting cast. Hell, Bartolomeo would have been a waaaay better addition to the crew.

xxx

Barto Club

danzaroo
Jul 22, 2007
dingus dingus dingus.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Oh god are you the guy who did the Fake Hat drawing from years back?

Cause they were part of the reason I joined SA in the first place.

Yeah, one of them, anyways. It was a pretty fun stretch when people were firing off their renditions of classic OP scenes, one after another. Hard to believe that was 10 (!) years ago.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, and sorry for adding fuel to the Carrot flame war. She's a good kid.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hmmm I’m reading the headlines here and it’s saying Jinbei #4 best Straw Hat? Wild stuff, but that’s the news.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

danzaroo posted:

Yeah, one of them, anyways. It was a pretty fun stretch when people were firing off their renditions of classic OP scenes, one after another. Hard to believe that was 10 (!) years ago.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, and sorry for adding fuel to the Carrot flame war. She's a good kid.

Nah I thought it was funny. Poking fun at fan theories/wishes is good.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Hmmm I’m reading the headlines here and it’s saying Jinbei #4 best Straw Hat? Wild stuff, but that’s the news.

One could even say it's :bignews:

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The numbers being failed attempts to recreate the ancient giants finally explains the warning sign at the entrance to Punk Hazard. :vince:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

danzaroo posted:

Fuckin' kickass, mate.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ThingOne posted:

The numbers being failed attempts to recreate the ancient giants finally explains the warning sign at the entrance to Punk Hazard. :vince:
Oh. Ooooh!

That's so cool!

Punk Hazard was literally Jurassic Park, except so much poo poo had happened to that island by the time the Strawhats got there that it was entirely unrecognizable that that's what it had once been.

I really like Punk Hazard. Sure there's a lot of running and it's kind of drawn out in places, but the concept is so cool, and there's a kind of Skypia "strange adventure" feel to it. There was no purpose going in, and so things were much more character driven than goal driven at first. It's the last arc that wasn't ultimately about beating up Kaido.

And now, nearly a decade later, the crazy story of the island can be recontextualized again. And honestly, I'm sure there's going to be more for us to learn about Punk Hazard right up until the inevitable Vegapunk flashback.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I hope after this arc wraps up we get to go back to some more adventuring type arcs that don't involve Emperors so we can catch a breath. Since the end of the first Time Skip arc, Big Mom's been involved in some capacity and the very next arc introduced Kaido. I don't mind seeing some other former Warlords, members of the Worst Generation, or Marines/World Government that coincidentally happen to be there but I want a soft reboot here before we end up in the final stretch of the manga.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Punk Hazard is one of those arcs that really suffered from the weekly format. It's incredibly important to the story overall but in ways that only became apparent years after the fact.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ThingOne posted:

:aaaaa: Oda does it again.

RealFoxy posted:

I hope after this arc wraps up we get to go back to some more adventuring type arcs that don't involve Emperors so we can catch a breath. Since the end of the first Time Skip arc, Big Mom's been involved in some capacity and the very next arc introduced Kaido. I don't mind seeing some other former Warlords, members of the Worst Generation, or Marines/World Government that coincidentally happen to be there but I want a soft reboot here before we end up in the final stretch of the manga.

I want this too, but I am doubtful that the story trajectory will allow for it, except for maybe a wandering adventure arc trying to track down the last Road Poneglyph. Besides, I think Big Mom is hellbent on getting her revenge against the Straw Hats for humiliating her on her home turf at Whole Cake Island and - unless she gets knocked out here and loses her Homies - I think she's just going to continue on as a recurring antagonist.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 7, 2020

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I don’t think we can to be honest, i don’t think we’re ever gonna get a Skypiea type arc ever again because of how close the endgame is. The only hope of that is Elbaph, but Big Mom is too tied to that island for her not to be there.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Really great chapter, and echoing what someone said earlier about the Luffy and Zoro meet-up and my kings just vibing together lol. Queen is also just so good and funny an had another cool moment akin to the brontasaurus bomber when he snapped them up.

Cool to see Robin get to do badass stuff again.

Also hope we get a Yamato fight, against Ulti or another Tobiroppo

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
man, to me punk hazards one of the worst arcs in the whole story. not only does it pale in comparison to a lot of OP highs, but it comes at a time when OP needed a big win, which i thought it really did not give. hate to say i disagree w/ you guys a lot here

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah i think punk hazard was the first point where i really started to go "what the gently caress is this comic doing"

which sucks! look at the names. PUNK HAZARD. YETI COOL BROTHERS. heartbreaking waste of opportunity

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

tbp posted:

man, to me punk hazards one of the worst arcs in the whole story. not only does it pale in comparison to a lot of OP highs, but it comes at a time when OP needed a big win, which i thought it really did not give. hate to say i disagree w/ you guys a lot here

I thought the same when I read it weekly, but I re- read it recently and honestly the arc works much better all at once.

It's not Dressrosa where all the good parts are front loaded in the first half, it only really slows down around the part where they're running from the gas in the snow. Otherwise it's actually pretty brisk and entertaining and it finishes really strongly with the beatdown of Baby 5 /Buffalo.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Punk Hazard does start the annoying trend of every arc having like 6 straight chapters of "the gang runs away from something"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

tbp posted:

It's definitely the weakest arc post tineskip and probably bottom 5 for me. It set up some important stuff, and the actual setting was cool, but the villains weren't interesting, and what was actually going on in the arc felt so arbitrary, like pulling mad libs from a hat. It was also disappointing considering it was Smoker and Tashigi getting reintroduced into the story, but really their only relevance there was to bring the kids back home afterwards. And even on the action side of things, the only fight I found satisfactory was Franky vs Baby 5 and Buffalo at the very end. Zoro vs Monet was too easy, and while Trafalgar cutting Vergo in half was cool, the rest of that fight was just dragged out as characters were running around the facility.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tbp posted:

I'm not saying the arc was strong or that it came together well a the end, but there's are really cool elements I still appreciate.

The setting was a really cool idea. Several of the Strawhats got good moments where they individually decided something important. Nami and Chopper were the reason they decided to help the kids. And the manga kind of forgets this these days, but Sanji was the one who decided to save Kinemon. I like that Smoker and Tashigi show up again as friendly rivals. I love the scene where they're confronting Law and he says he's the only one on the island, and Nami/Chopper and the kids burst out of the facility behind Law, go "Oh poo poo, it's the marines, let's find another exit," run back in, and just leave Law standing there with Smoker just glaring at him.

There were... maybe one or two good gags from the whole body swap thing. Robin getting mad at Franky for making "that face" in Chopper's body. Also Chopper explaining to Franky that he needs to carefully chose when to use his Rumble Ball, followed by Franky immediately eating it and going on a rampage, and how the ensuing fight with the Yeti Cool Brothers was a three way fight where Luffy used his most powerful attack on Chopper/Franky.

Basically, I like the premise a lot, and there's a lot of little things I like. Luffy, Zoro, and Robin making demon faces as they approach Brownbeard's warmly dressed underlings. Things like that.

In the sense that it came on the heels of Fishman Island and One Piece needed a really strong compelling arc, I'll agree it didn't work. I think if Fishman Island had been amazing, we would have been more in the mood for a meandering character focused "breather" arc.

I remember years and years ago before the timeskip, Skypia was the most controversial arc. I always thought it was great and would argue with people who thought it was lame. "There are pacing issues here and there, sure, but ultimately it's still amazing." I'm not doing that here. Punk Hazard didn't quite come together. There's reasons my defense of Punk Hazard is a bunch of isolated nice moments. That's all the arc has going for it. The elements I like don't end up making it a good arc. But that said, there are still elements I really like.

And one of those elements is the island itself. Just the name, Punk Hazard, is so cool. So it makes me really happy whenever we get another rare hint at the implications of that Island, even if the adventure the Strawhats had there was ultimately not the strongest.

Basically this is a lot of words to justify being really excited to learn that the hosed up Ancient Giants were created on Punk Hazard, and that's why Punk Hazard had literal Jurassic Park gates.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
If chopper hasn't gone monster point in front of big mom I bet that's one of the things that makes her reconsider the straw hats. They got a guy who can turn into a giant at will.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I always find that whenever I remember the overarching narrative of an arc I think it's not too great, I reread it and it's really funny and the art is cool and the characters are varied and fun and I remember that even at its worst, One Piece is still phenomenal and I love going through even the lower arcs due to how fun this manga is to read. Weekly doesn't do this story justice, it's so breezy to go through 100 chapters and still hunger for more.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the humor is absolutely one of the saving graces for OP (and i'll draw a parallel to hajime no ippo here too)

for these super long running series, having an author that REALLY gets their characters and has a good sense of comedy makes the story bearable and enjoyable even when everything else might be missing (moreso in HNI than in OP). you can still look forward to gags and joke even if the plot is a little eh. so yeah, bad OP is still great manga, and there's a reason i still read HNI weekly for like 500 chapters despite thinking it was kinda a crappy overall story

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

the humor is absolutely one of the saving graces for OP (and i'll draw a parallel to hajime no ippo here too)

for these super long running series, having an author that REALLY gets their characters and has a good sense of comedy makes the story bearable and enjoyable even when everything else might be missing (moreso in HNI than in OP). you can still look forward to gags and joke even if the plot is a little eh. so yeah, bad OP is still great manga, and there's a reason i still read HNI weekly for like 500 chapters despite thinking it was kinda a crappy overall story

You just wanted to see ippos monster dong

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Luffy hearing all this dudes be viciously cut up on the snail phone and concluding “....hrm I suspect foul play” is an all time joke for me

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Another highlight of Punk Hazard: European style dragon shows up, Luffy, Zoro, Usopp and Robin kill it and eat it in the span of a couple chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jose posted:

You just wanted to see ippos monster dong

they literally showed it in a fairly recent chapter. just a good few dangling inches