Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

god bless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I just got an offer to double the dick pics I send to someone, like if I send 1000 dick pics to them they'll send me 2000 back?

I'm curious, is this a scam? Seems like I'd be coming out ahead???

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Hey guys I have a new cloud based blockchain project. It's a virtual currency called DickCoin...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

postmodifier posted:

I just got an offer to double the dick pics I send to someone, like if I send 1000 dick pics to them they'll send me 2000 back?

I'm curious, is this a scam? Seems like I'd be coming out ahead???

Be careful that they don't just send you 2000 copies of the same dick pic

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Be careful that they don't just send you 2000 copies of the same dick pic

Run a script to randomly change color saturation, aspect ratio, and projection of the original image and you get yourself a whole bag of dicks for the price of one.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

therobit posted:

Hey guys I have a new cloud based blockchain project. It's a virtual currency called DickCoin...

It's already a thing

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

therobit posted:

There's a mall near me that has a Macy's and a Ross, but has lost Sears, Toys R Us, Marshalls, and Nordstrom. They have a ice rink there that was doing decent lessons business pre-covid. When I went there the Saturday after Thanksgiving, everywhere but the ice rink was completely dead. It was just sad to see. The worst part is that while the ice rink was the only place doing lots of business, it used to be twice as large and got cut down in a mall remodel a decade ago.

Part of me thinks the Ice Rink was originally a "loss leader" - even if busy it was breaking even or losing money because it's expensive to run, but as an attraction to bring people in to shop at the other stores it works out.

If the rest of the mall wasn't making money it couldn't subsidize the Ice Rink any longer, and they down-sized it to lower the running costs.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Help! I got an unsolicited Borrower Welcome Letter claiming that I have a loan of exactly $200,000, which a company called FCI is now servicing.

My real name does not appear on the letter, just a butchering of my name with LLC stuck on the end. My real address is listed along with "Property: ....(some address I don't have across town).

Initially, I dismissed the whole letter as fraudulent, but that might have been a mistake. It finally struck me today that they sent the letter on the exact one year anniversary of my identity being stolen. July 15th last year was when I had a whole lot of bad credit lines being opened up, check fraud, the whole gamut. It's as if a new automated attack on my credit got triggered at exactly the one year mark.

Of course, it also resembles a famous scam that tricks people into sending a few mortgage payments to the wrong company. It might be that, I don't know. When I opened the letter over a month ago I immediately dismissed it as a phishing scheme or something to trick me into acknowledging a fake debt.

Since I failed to make the connection at first to my old identity thieves, I ignored the letter past the 30 days required to dispute it in writing (according to the letter). Am I screwed now if this FCI Lender Services letter is somehow not fake but about a real loan someone took out in my name?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

LOL so wait they sent a bill to an LLC that doesn't exist? Let them know your identity was stolen but I am sure you can demonstrate you don't own that LLC

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

therobit posted:

LOL so wait they sent a bill to an LLC that doesn't exist? Let them know your identity was stolen but I am sure you can demonstrate you don't own that LLC

What if the OP is a free man on the land?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Midjack posted:

What if the OP is a free man on the land?

He just has to announce that he is traveling and does not want to create joinder.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Happy Thread posted:

Help! I got an unsolicited Borrower Welcome Letter claiming that I have a loan of exactly $200,000, which a company called FCI is now servicing.

My real name does not appear on the letter, just a butchering of my name with LLC stuck on the end. My real address is listed along with "Property: ....(some address I don't have across town).

Initially, I dismissed the whole letter as fraudulent, but that might have been a mistake. It finally struck me today that they sent the letter on the exact one year anniversary of my identity being stolen. July 15th last year was when I had a whole lot of bad credit lines being opened up, check fraud, the whole gamut. It's as if a new automated attack on my credit got triggered at exactly the one year mark.

Of course, it also resembles a famous scam that tricks people into sending a few mortgage payments to the wrong company. It might be that, I don't know. When I opened the letter over a month ago I immediately dismissed it as a phishing scheme or something to trick me into acknowledging a fake debt.

Since I failed to make the connection at first to my old identity thieves, I ignored the letter past the 30 days required to dispute it in writing (according to the letter). Am I screwed now if this FCI Lender Services letter is somehow not fake but about a real loan someone took out in my name?

Assuming you haven't yet, pull your credit info and see if this appears. Either way, time for another police report...

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Your county assessor office would know who actually owns that parcel.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Someone stranger just sent me $20 on my venmo account that I've used one time to send my sister money for her honeymoon. Message attached was "Pink I back the blue". Anyone know what the deal is? I'm not breast cancer/pig adjacent so I'm not sure why someone would send me money for either of those causes. Didn't see any "decline payment" option on venmo either.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

Someone stranger just sent me $20 on my venmo account that I've used one time to send my sister money for her honeymoon. Message attached was "Pink I back the blue". Anyone know what the deal is? I'm not breast cancer/pig adjacent so I'm not sure why someone would send me money for either of those causes. Didn't see any "decline payment" option on venmo either.

Sounds to me like someone hosed up sending money rather than a scam.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The Moon Monster posted:

lol some bootlicker hosed up, congrats on your guilt free twenty bucks

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Pharmaskittle posted:

lol some bootlicker hosed up, congrats on your guilt free twenty bucks
Yup, this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Gender reveal parties are getting weird.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

At least this one didn’t burn down a large chunk of California.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
My boss told me the other day that his son got a couple of Venmo payments out of the blue. One for $10 & one for $20. I warned that it might be a scam of some sort but haven't bothered to ask about it since.

This might be something new starting. I don't have Venmo myself so I haven't looked into it at all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a Gmail that tons of people think is theirs due to the firstname.lastname nature. I should totally link that to my Venmo account.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I haven't had cable tv for over a decade, but have been staying in a motel lately and so I've been seeing a lot of commercials new to me.

Every commercial break on some channels, there's a million ads for "Were you sexually abused while in the Boy Scouts? You might be entitled to a HUGE CASH SETTLEMENT/AWARD".

These reek of scam to me, but I can't figure the angle. I noticed on one ad just now they slipped in "you pay nothing up front" (emphasis mine), and they all say "we dont get paid until you do" so what do they do? Get your card or bank info?

Even if it's not technically a scam, it seems pretty scummy. Not just preying on abuse survivors, but cripes, if I was sexually abused, I wouldn't want to be reminded of it every 15 minutes while I'm trying to relax and enjoy this Godzilla marathon.

Edit: I literally just hit "reply" and these same jerks are now saying I can get compensation if I got lung cancer and ever used talcum powder?!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 21, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I haven't had cable tv for over a decade, but have been staying in a motel lately and so I've been seeing a lot of commercials new to me.

Every commercial break on some channels, there's a million ads for "Were you sexually abused while in the Boy Scouts? You might be entitled to a HUGE CASH SETTLEMENT/AWARD".

These reek of scam to me, but I can't figure the angle. I noticed on one ad just now they slipped in "you pay nothing up front" (emphasis mine), and they all say "we dont get paid until you do" so what do they do? Get your card or bank info?

Even if it's not technically a scam, it seems pretty scummy. Not just preying on abuse survivors, but cripes, if I was sexually abused, I wouldn't want to be reminded of it every 15 minutes while I'm trying to relax and enjoy this Godzilla marathon.

No money down lawyers are scummy but not scammy. Basically they take cases they think are a slam dunk and have it so 95% of the winnings go to them. So they may get you a million dollar pay day and only see 50k out of it.

It's been a thing for a long time and won't go away till pay to win court cases do.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I've been getting a ton of ads for that Boy Scout lawsuit of Facebook lately. All from "different" advertisers too, so blocking one does nothing.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
They also advertise the crap out of the Boy Scout abuse thing on right wing talk radio, which probably explains why some of their audience is so spectacularly homophobic.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get your card or bank info?

You think people running something that would be less sophisticated than a Nigerian 419 scam are advertising on TBS?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Edit: I literally just hit "reply" and these same jerks are now saying I can get compensation if I got lung cancer and ever used talcum powder?!

People covered the lawyer angle already. The talcum powder is because there's naturally occurring asbestos in talcum deposits, J&J switched over to corn starch or something years ago though so good luck with that payday.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Inceltown posted:

No money down lawyers are scummy but not scammy. Basically they take cases they think are a slam dunk and have it so 95% of the winnings go to them. So they may get you a million dollar pay day and only see 50k out of it.

It's been a thing for a long time and won't go away till pay to win court cases do.

Another thing they do is they tend to snap off the plaintiff's hand at the first offer they make and settle out of court. They would rather take a guaranteed lower sum straight away than risk fighting. So beyond their fees, which are often not a percentage but entirely paid by the plaintiff, they often get you way less than a lawyer who's getting paid anyway so has your best interest at heart would.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Masonity posted:

Another thing they do is they tend to snap off the plaintiff's hand at the first offer they make and settle out of court. They would rather take a guaranteed lower sum straight away than risk fighting. So beyond their fees, which are often not a percentage but entirely paid by the plaintiff, they often get you way less than a lawyer who's getting paid anyway so has your best interest at heart would.

A lawyer who's getting paid anyway has the exact same incentive to settle ASAP and move on to the next case. As a plaintiff your case is the most important thing in your world, but as a lawyer your current case is just one of a hundred you have lined up, and you'll make more money long run by settling it ASAP and moving to the next.

But the WE DON'T GET PAID UNTIL YOU DO!!! guys on TV, yeah, their entire business model is to sucker rubes who have easily settled cases into forking over nearly their entire settlement.

Actually it may be unfair to the plaintiffs in these cases to dismiss them as suckers; sometimes those scam lawyers are the only lawyers you can get if you can't afford to pay upfront fees, even if your case is a clear winner.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What makes anyone think a lawyer billing $500/hour instead of taking 33% of a settlement will always end up being cheaper?

I am not an expert but I'm pretty sure calling every contingency lawyer a "scam lawyer" is not accurate.

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah

wizzardstaff posted:

I've been getting a ton of ads for that Boy Scout lawsuit of Facebook lately. All from "different" advertisers too, so blocking one does nothing.

It's even scummier than that.

Here's how I understand it works:

Prestigious Law Firm
Smith, Smith & Smith has 50 witnesses ready to testify, a lot of evidence, etc. and is bringing a class action lawsuit on behalf of every boy scout affected.

Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe + infinity
Runs out and gathers 1,000 boy scouts that are also abused but don't have the legal expertise or any other evidence

Judge certifies class but only 1 law firm can represent all of the boy scouts affected. There is now a problem, there are a bunch of law firms out there each representing a group of boy scouts. They hash it out within themselves. Smith, Smith, & Smith have the evidence and the strongest lawyers so they take the lead. Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe have a large pool of boy scouts so that means the settlement money will be higher, the scummy law firm negotiates a cut of 5% of the settlement.

5% of millions for running a few ads on right wing news and Facebook and no actual lawyering work is easy money. Abused boy scouts lose out, their slice of the pie keeps getting smaller.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Eric the Mauve posted:

A lawyer who's getting paid anyway has the exact same incentive to settle ASAP and move on to the next case. As a plaintiff your case is the most important thing in your world, but as a lawyer your current case is just one of a hundred you have lined up, and you'll make more money long run by settling it ASAP and moving to the next.

But the WE DON'T GET PAID UNTIL YOU DO!!! guys on TV, yeah, their entire business model is to sucker rubes who have easily settled cases into forking over nearly their entire settlement.

Actually it may be unfair to the plaintiffs in these cases to dismiss them as suckers; sometimes those scam lawyers are the only lawyers you can get if you can't afford to pay upfront fees, even if your case is a clear winner.

A lawyer being paid anyway will be paid more for doing more work. So they will give your case a fair shot. They'll bring the first derisory offer your way and advise you to reject, while racking up billable hours.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Why kidnap people when you can convince them to kidnap themselves?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-23/international-students-fall-victim-to-virtual-kidnapping-scams/12689722

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thanks for all the replies re: those Boy Scout ads! Makes sense now.

I'm hunting for housing now, and dear lord the amount of scams for apts/rental homes on Craigslist is like, 90% fake to 10% legit. I thought I finally found one that seemed okay, the ad didn't have pics of a 1200 sq ft apt nor listed how close it was to Lake Michigan --- when I live in Virginia --- for only $399 (seriously, that's how incredibly fake most poo poo is on there). Guy texts me back this morning, saying I have to fill out an app and pay the fee just to schedule a tour to look at the place. So you want me to pay you $25 to apply for a place sight-unseen? Mmmmm, no.

So many of these want payment just to look at them "because COVID makes our showings by appointment only". It's disgusting, and very disheartening.

chuckelZ
Jun 7, 2004

If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

Thanks for all the replies re: those Boy Scout ads! Makes sense now.

I'm hunting for housing now, and dear lord the amount of scams for apts/rental homes on Craigslist is like, 90% fake to 10% legit. I thought I finally found one that seemed okay, the ad didn't have pics of a 1200 sq ft apt nor listed how close it was to Lake Michigan --- when I live in Virginia --- for only $399 (seriously, that's how incredibly fake most poo poo is on there). Guy texts me back this morning, saying I have to fill out an app and pay the fee just to schedule a tour to look at the place. So you want me to pay you $25 to apply for a place sight-unseen? Mmmmm, no.

So many of these want payment just to look at them "because COVID makes our showings by appointment only". It's disgusting, and very disheartening.

When I was selling my house multiple rental listings came up on it trying to get people to do this. Reporting to craigslist did nothing.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Meanwhile CL auto flagged and de-listed every single attempt I made to sell my bike. Didn't even notify or tell me why. Ended up selling it through Facebook.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

bamhand posted:

Meanwhile CL auto flagged and de-listed every single attempt I made to sell my bike. Didn't even notify or tell me why. Ended up selling it through Facebook.

Because whoever flagged you wanted their listing to be seen instead

Craigslist has never been more than this grifting hellscape

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It seemed automatic. I posted 3 times and it was flagged within 30 minutes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Once your post is removed once your account is marked as spam/scam and all future postings (at least to that particular page) are auto-nuked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

i know this post is old but the scam is they ask you to send the money back because they accidentally sent it to the wrong person. in a few days the payment you received will get reversed because the checking account it was sent from didnt have funds and now you're in the hole $20

its the check cashing scam but in app form