Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Someday, somehow, there will be a video review of the NR200 that actually shows what the gently caress it looks like with sata drives installed - people still use these things folks

Spinning disc or 2.5 ssd’s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Coredump posted:

Spinning disc or 2.5 ssd’s?

Either at this point, every review I've seen is a water cooling setup and just nvme, of course airflow is good there. I want to see how it fares with a 3 1/2" drive and maybe another SSD.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Someday, somehow, there will be a video review of the NR200 that actually shows what the gently caress it looks like with sata drives installed - people still use these things folks

Fitting a single loving sata drive into my Streacom DA2 with a 280mm radiator was one of the most irritating "why the gently caress did you even tell me I can do this" situations I've had building a system in probably the last 15 years.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

nerdrum posted:

Fitting a single loving sata drive into my Streacom DA2 with a 280mm radiator was one of the most irritating "why the gently caress did you even tell me I can do this" situations I've had building a system in probably the last 15 years.

Jfc I salute you (love my da2, and also myself, too much to attempt that)

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Trip report: 2x120mm ID filter came in and fits the TU150 with no issues. The frame is actually thin enough that it fits under the feet with plenty of room to spare, so the only potential obstruction is the feet posts (which could be trimmed round if necessary, but wasn't an issue w/ this size). My dog sits right next to my computer half the time so this was essential.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Splinter posted:

Trip report: 2x120mm ID filter came in and fits the TU150 with no issues. The frame is actually thin enough that it fits under the feet with plenty of room to spare, so the only potential obstruction is the feet posts (which could be trimmed round if necessary, but wasn't an issue w/ this size). My dog sits right next to my computer half the time so this was essential.

Nice, good to know! My 2x120mm ID filter comes in tomorrow. Will finally be putting together the build this weekend now that I have everything :haw:

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

Splinter posted:

That actually looks great and a bit more elegant than the 2x120mm solution; kind of wish I had grabbed one of those now, instead. But, I suppose if I have aesthetic concerns about any part of my case, it might as well be the bottom fan intake given how seldom I see it!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

nerdrum posted:

Putting two SSDs in a Node 202 was rage inducing.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

If you're nerd enough to build a sff system, you're nerd enough to run a nas :colbert:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Anyone built a DeskMini 310 w/ a NH-L9i? I'm pretty sure the one I got was either DOA, or mounting that cooler hosed the mobo — going to RMA it. It should support a i7-9700 out of the box w/ no BIOS upgrade, right?

Internet seems to suggest that I shouldn't tighten the screws all the way, which is a possible solution, but I intend to throw this in the mail and send to a mini-PC colo. E-mailed Noctua asking if they had any ideas / backplate suggestions as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Silverstone just announced the successor to the SG13... the SG14!

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=932

Looks nice with a lot of modularity and 3-slot GPU support, though it's significantly larger than the SG13.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

teagone posted:

Looks nice with a lot of modularity and 3-slot GPU support, though it's significantly larger than the SG13.

My problem with Silverstone's Sugo series (I just put my SG05 out to pasture) is that the number of sleds and mounts made it hell trying to do anything inside once it is assembled. If I wanted to service anything on the motherboard, it was:

1) Remove four screws to slide the cover off
2) Remove two screws to pull the HDD drive sled off the optical drive sled
3) Remove four screws and gently remove the optical drive sled

That gives me access to the DIMM and PCIe slots. If I need to reach the CPU, I also need to remove the power supply. Compare to my Ncase of "Pull the side panel off, unscrew four screws and move the radiator out of the way." I suppose the tradeoff here is that I'm not using a 3.5in drive in the Ncase, but if I was I wouldn't have a side mounted radiator anyway.

Maybe they made things a bit better in the 13? I briefly considered one before writing it off because I didn't want another experience like the 05.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The only Silverstone case I've ever worked in was an ML03; completed two builds using that HTPC-style enclosure, and both times they were a pleasure to work in. I guess the ML03 is technically SFF with it being 15 liters in volume. Thought its general layout was nice. I was gonna work in an SG13 for my new build, but the 1660 Ti chonker I ended up getting relegated it to storage for future use—maybe a nice mini PC for my dad when I retire the Ryzen 3 2200G in my Plex server.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

teagone posted:

get that 5 1/4" bay outta here

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

This showed up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAj3XTeEVB0

Torn between waiting for the NR200 to show up in New Zealand or just going with an NCASE M1. Probably best to wait and see how the next generation of Geforce cards pans out size/double sided cooler wise anyway :toot:

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Sphyre posted:

Torn between waiting for the NR200 to show up in New Zealand or just going with an NCASE M1. Probably best to wait and see how the next generation of Geforce cards pans out size/double sided cooler wise anyway :toot:

I don't know what the availability looks like in NZ but I absolutely love my Ncase M1 v6. It's not the smallest, but it's still very small and it looks really nice and clean. The construction is solid and the layout is thoughtful.

I have a 9th gen i7 paired with a 2070 and it is quiet and cool. Just my two cents!!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

Anyone built a DeskMini 310 w/ a NH-L9i? I'm pretty sure the one I got was either DOA, or mounting that cooler hosed the mobo — going to RMA it. It should support a i7-9700 out of the box w/ no BIOS upgrade, right?

Internet seems to suggest that I shouldn't tighten the screws all the way, which is a possible solution, but I intend to throw this in the mail and send to a mini-PC colo. E-mailed Noctua asking if they had any ideas / backplate suggestions as well.

OK, got a new DeskMini in and didn't tighten all the way — works great! Ran an overnight memtest pass, CPU hovered around 85C w/ forced turbo + all cores running, but RAM coughed up some errors starting on Pass 4, so have to RMA it.

Now dealing with the fun fact that the on-board NIC isn't out-of-box supported by Hyper-V/Server 2019, so I have to figure out how to force install the INF via commandline, or maybe dig up a USB NIC so I can remote manage and get it up and running.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I didn't know this thread existed. I built a my first pc in an NZXT H200i - Mini-ITX case, in December 2018. I went to microcenter and bought all the parts. I really liked that company because something happened where I'd blue screen over and over, everything just broke. I took it back, they diagnosed it as hardware failure and replaced nearly everything except the ram and the case. They treated me so well. I just use it for Linux, but I'm considering building a second desktop (Mini-ITX or smaller) to put Windows on because Why not.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I’m very tempted to try my hand at a custom loop in the M1 after seeing this. I have a v4, I think so I’d have to do a little research on which radiator might fit in the bottom, then do the swap when the 3080 comes out.

https://youtu.be/SBIWgKmwr68

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

I’m very tempted to try my hand at a custom loop in the M1 after seeing this. I have a v4, I think so I’d have to do a little research on which radiator might fit in the bottom, then do the swap when the 3080 comes out.

https://youtu.be/SBIWgKmwr68

Might also be worth considering the IceMan he previously reviewed. I'm personally using one of these for a dual-radiator loop. I see the cost advantage of the Barrow, but for me I like the larger res and ability to choose my own water block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOcMt7zSGTY

You'll want to be sure that you purchase the right one though: You're looking for the ICE-NC-DDC if you want to be able to use standard DDC pumps with the unit. Don't ask me how I know this.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ThdoSCj6Y

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Note that he keeps saying the case on the left is a Sliger sm560 when it’s actually a sm580 with a triple slit gpu area.

The 560 is smaller tho.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Whens Node 202 refresh

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Finished up my TU 150 build earlier. Wow. What an easy case to build in... probably one of easiest PCs I've put together actually. Total assembly time probably took me no more than 2 hours probably, with cable management. And drat the silver variant is slick. Also, there's just barely enough room for a 15mm slim case fan between the bottom of the case and my dummy thicc 2.75 slot 1660 Ti. Don't think I'll need those though, GPU idles around 33-35C no problem. Haven't seen how it performs under load yet though. Gonna run Heaven overnight for stability testing.

[edit] Apparently EVGA sent me the 1660 Ti XC Overclocked Edition instead of the Black Gaming one I ordered since Afterburner is reporting a 1845-1860 MHz GPU core clock boost instead of 1770 MHz. Cool I guess, lol. GPU temp stays around ~78C under sustained load (currently running Heaven benchmark on loop). I think that's a little warm? But I did read the 1660 Ti only throttles around 90-95C so I think I'm good, no need for the bottom 120mm fans :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 30, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Showed my brother my TU 150 build, and now he wants a smaller case too lmao. Problem is he has a microATX board and isn't really keen on purchasing a new ITX board for a build since his PC is relatively new. I found the Metalfish S5 case which is relatively small, but supports microATX boards and full size ATX PSUs. Though, I can't seem to find a reputable retailer to purchase one from. Anyone familiar with the enclosure and know where I could maybe buy one? There's an AliExpress listing for the case, but it says they no longer carry the item :rip:

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 31, 2020

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For mATX there's the Sliger Cerberus. It's a bit smaller than the TU150, a bit bigger than the NR200 (believe it's ~19L). Base price is $245 though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Cooler Master Q300 is like $50 and compact for an MATX tower. It's about as good as $50 cases get but I would add an extra fan or two.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Showed my brother my TU 150 build, and now he wants a smaller case too lmao. Problem is he has a microATX board and isn't really keen on purchasing a new ITX board for a build since his PC is relatively new. I found the Metalfish S5 case which is relatively small, but supports microATX boards and full size ATX PSUs. Though, I can't seem to find a reputable retailer to purchase one from. Anyone familiar with the enclosure and know where I could maybe buy one? There's an AliExpress listing for the case, but it says they no longer carry the item :rip:

LinusTechTips recently did a build with one and whenever one of those big youtubers does something like that, parts fly off the shelves.

What case is he currently using?

Splinter posted:

For mATX there's the Sliger Cerberus. It's a bit smaller than the TU150, a bit bigger than the NR200 (believe it's ~19L). Base price is $245 though.

Sliger cases are worth every penny. If you can afford one, go for it. I'm so happy with my SM580.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Romes128 posted:

What case is he currently using?

Mu Zeta posted:

The Cooler Master Q300 is like $50 and compact for an MATX tower. It's about as good as $50 cases get but I would add an extra fan or two.

That's the case I used for his current build, lmao. It was fine to work in, but the airflow isn't the greatest because of its "not-mesh" design that chokes the intake and exhaust a little. I dumped 2x140mm Noctua Redux fans in the front and they struggle to get air in (and as such, are loud af under load unfortunately).

Romes128 posted:

LinusTechTips recently did a build with one and whenever one of those big youtubers does something like that, parts fly off the shelves.

That's the video I watched that made me aware of the Metalfish S5, haha.

Splinter posted:

Hmm... I'll ask to see how much he'd be willing to spend. Thanks for the tip.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

teagone posted:

Hmm... I'll ask to see how much he'd be willing to spend. Thanks for the tip.

I think looking at both size (sub 20L) and GPU & CPU cooler compatibility, there isn't really anything else like it for mATX (think it can even support ATX PSU if you want). The price is steep though. That Metalfish S5 does look intriguing, though it looks like it is significantly more limited component wise due to its size (which may mean having to buy all new fans/coolers). One thing to consider is if he's going to have to buy a whole new cooling setup (CPU cooler, different case fans, etc) and/or boutique priced case to keep the mATX board with a small case, it might be cheaper to buy a new mITX mobo + an mITX case that is compatible with most of his current cooling gear. Similarly, if all the other options require buying an SFX PSU, while something like the Cerberus can re-use his ATX PSU, the price of the Cerberus may no longer seem so steep compared to cheaper case + $120+ SFX PSU.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Splinter posted:

I think looking at both size (sub 20L) and GPU & CPU cooler compatibility, there isn't really anything else like it for mATX (think it can even support ATX PSU if you want). The price is steep though. That Metalfish S5 does look intriguing, though it looks like it is significantly more limited component wise due to its size (which may mean having to buy all new fans/coolers). One thing to consider is if he's going to have to buy a whole new cooling setup (CPU cooler, different case fans, etc) and/or boutique priced case to keep the mATX board with a small case, it might be cheaper to buy a new mITX mobo + an mITX case that is compatible with most of his current cooling gear. Similarly, if all the other options require buying an SFX PSU, while something like the Cerberus can re-use his ATX PSU, the price of the Cerberus may no longer seem so steep compared to cheaper case + $120+ SFX PSU.

The Cougar QBX fits a regular ATX power supply too. But he would need a smaller cooler or 120mm AIO (assuming he's currently using a tower cooler).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Splinter posted:

Yeah, he said $245 is way too much. Looking at everything he has in his current build, the only issues I see component wise wrt transferring the build over into a Metalfish S5 are not being able to use the 2x140mm Noctua Redux (which isn't too big of a deal, because he has left over 120mm fans from his old case I can potentially reuse), and having to purchase an SFX PSU. Otherwise everything else is in spec. Either way, I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a place that sells the S5 anyways, lmao.

Romes128 posted:

The Cougar QBX fits a regular ATX power supply too. But he would need a smaller cooler or 120mm AIO (assuming he's currently using a tower cooler).

I used the Wraith Prism that came with the Ryzen 2700X for his build. Quick google search says it's ~96mm in height. So it would clear the S5 ok, since it has a max CPU cooler height of 135mm.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 31, 2020

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
You can also check the actual dimensions on his existing matx board. They aren’t really standard and can vary enough that some fit in mitx cases that also accept dtx boards or have enough room for triple slot cards.

Here’s the list u see dtx and matx tab:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1AddRvGWJ_f4B6UC7_IftDiVudVc8CJ8sxLUqlxVsCz4/htmlview

iv46vi fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 31, 2020

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

FYI fellow :canada:'s, Amazon.ca has the NR200 listed now, release Sept 16th. $130

edit: Just the P model for now, so the non-tempered glass should be ~$100, whenever it hits.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Let's hope these fix the CPU temp issues in my Sliger SM 560...

Also got some free gummy worms in the box with my order, which was unexpected but welcome!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What's going to be the easiest 3080 to deshroud and throw into an M1???

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

What's going to be the easiest 3080 to deshroud and throw into an M1???

We have no idea at this point. No one who can talk about it has a physical card to do this with.

I'm personally holding out hope for some kind of nano form factor waterblock from EK so that I can get stupid performance/cm3 from a 3080 FE, but such a thing wouldn't come out until after the initial launch.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Warmachine posted:

We have no idea at this point. No one who can talk about it has a physical card to do this with.

I'm personally holding out hope for some kind of nano form factor waterblock from EK so that I can get stupid performance/cm3 from a 3080 FE, but such a thing wouldn't come out until after the initial launch.

The worst thing is all of the partners are adding RGB on everything so it’s gonna be harder to do anything.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If you look through smallformfactor.net or r/sffpc they've started looking through card measurements. Some might fit. Others do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I downsized my system from an O11 Dynamic to an NR200:

(this picture really undersells how wide the O11 dynamic is! the nr200 is smaller than it looks i swear!!)