Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this show has maybe the biggest disparity between sfx shots -> practical shots ive ever seen on tv. all the big sfx shots look absolutely incredible and everythibg else looks like star trek tos with harsher color grading. if the story sticks the landing that might work out all right but i have a feeling the story is going to waste most of the season on boring melodrama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Well just tell her she sucks and is wrong.

I tired that already with Banshee. Didn't work.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I love the weird 1960/70s sci-fi vibe in this, like Barbarella or Zardoz. Super minimalist and a dollop of surrealism.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was wondering how they made Father/Mother’s suits seamless. Do they shoot with suits with back or front openings depending on the shot to hide them or are they just insanely stretchy rubbery stuff they use talc to get in?? They definitely look like what androids would wear, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume they're just on the back and any time they would be shown they're just digitally erased.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Neck-entry latex suits are a thing that exists, and work just like it sounds.

All the anecdotes I can find from on-set are that the suits were exactly as much of a nightmare to wear as you are imagining they would be.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Neck-entry latex suits are a thing that exists, and work just like it sounds.

All the anecdotes I can find from on-set are that the suits were exactly as much of a nightmare to wear as you are imagining they would be.

Man I can't imagine how sweaty that'd get :yikes:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I don't know about this whole thing and trying to read into the allegory, perhaps I'll be proven wrong but it felt to me like this whole thing was actually devoid of subtext and irony, the theists are bad and the atheists are good, everything is at face value, the mom bot appeared as brutal and irrational but so far she's been vindicated in that everything she did was proven right, even the opening monologue spells it clearly, heck the space theists are even space pedophiles like the whole 'religious organizations are actually bad and hypocritical' thing wasn't already obvious enough.

So, yeah, it's possible there's an element of subversion and the themes will have more depth, but to me it felt like 'what you see is what you get', heck even Ragnar's character isn't a proper theist, he has to be a secret atheist so that the audience will know he's a sympathetic guy just trying to make ends meet.

The fact that we finally have a show that shits on religion is subversion enough in itself

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

The fact that we finally have a show that shits on religion is subversion enough in itself

It’s a 100% going to end with just the children left and them worshiping the androids as gods.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
it's gonna end when David from Prometheus/Covenant finds the planet and releases his horde of xenomorphs to gobble everyone up

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

priznat posted:

Man I can't imagine how sweaty that'd get :yikes:

The actress who plays Mother said that after a few hours of shooting her feet would be squishy water balloons because all the sweat trickled down as she moved.

I'm always fascinated by these reverse magic tricks in life, like the latex suits, where the question of "how could they possibly do X?" is "They just did it and it really, really sucked." It's like how the trick to circus sword swallowing is that you just swallow a loving sword.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ethiser posted:

It’s a 100% going to end with just the children left and them worshiping the androids as gods.

Maybe this is a horizon zero dawn prequel

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Ethiser posted:

Yeah, we already had Father tell Campion: please feel free to question me, but you must accept every answer I give you and have faith that I've got your best interests in mind, always. It's pretty blunt.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The giant lizards will come back and the show will be about them through season 2-7

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
This is a weird mix of cliche plot points (e.g. a vehicle precariously balanced on the edge of a fall; the kid losing his pet and getting separated from the group) and a bonkers blend of ideas from other movies and media (androids from Alien; a Star Trek search party one step removed from the knights in Monthy Python and the Holy Grail) and I can't tell if it really works. Episode 3 wasn't all that compelling but I'm just barely interested enough in the show so far to watch another episode when it drops.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Eason the Fifth posted:

This is a weird mix of cliche plot points (e.g. a vehicle precariously balanced on the edge of a fall; the kid losing his pet and getting separated from the group) and a bonkers blend of ideas from other movies and media (androids from Alien; a Star Trek search party one step removed from the knights in Monthy Python and the Holy Grail) and I can't tell if it really works. Episode 3 wasn't all that compelling but I'm just barely interested enough in the show so far to watch another episode when it drops.
Hmm, yeah, some reviews that have seen more episodes say that the pacing slows down and it drags a bit after the first 2 eps. Also, one reviewer said something like "this is a show where 2 sides spend a few episodes building up, then a fight, then retreat and build up again" which gives me "bad Walking Dead seasons" vibes.

As long as the show continues to have really weird lore/worldbuilding, I'm in. If it just devolves to petty back and forth conflict, then who cares, right? What's distinct about it anymore?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

As long as the show continues to have really weird lore/worldbuilding,

Yeah honestly that's the draw for me. There's SO MANY weird decisions

Why DO the outfits look like that? The Atheists are wearing cone hats and alt-history WWI/Medieval gear in Boston 2145, and then there's the literal Crusaders

Why are the flying sonic-scream death lady robots called Necromancers and not, hmm, Banshees? Did they pick a name out of a hat

Why did she howl like a wolf besides an awkward tie-in to the name of the show?

Why do her eyes control her transformation so she wears them around her neck in a ballsack?

Edit: oh yeah the Dickensian atheist child soldier part made me laugh

I know the answers to almost all of these are Ridley Scott and they're just there to be weird. Any explanation would be unsatisfying

And yeah fuckin' lol at the Ep 3 'cliffhanger'. It's so weak for one of these high-budget shows that it made me audibly laugh

The weird parts are so weird that I was bored as hell by the standard plot beats and brown palette segments but I'm going to keep up with the show...

Victis fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 8, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Victis posted:

Why did she howl like a wolf besides an awkward tie-in to the name of the show?

That poo poo was very funny to me in ep1

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What was so permanently damaged about Earth they have to leave? It looked just like regular shithole dystopian city #95. Do they ever mention it? The future templars created the necrobots but just for some reason didnt bother to take any with them on their arc to defend their new planet?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

What was so permanently damaged about Earth they have to leave? It looked just like regular shithole dystopian city #95. Do they ever mention it? The future templars created the necrobots but just for some reason didnt bother to take any with them on their arc to defend their new planet?

All those goddamn necromancers flying around shrieking at people

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Looked like a whole buncha nukes went off too which doesn't help with the habitable part. Yeah it's weird they have the track star androids with them but not the scream queens, which you'd figure you'd bring one or two along to go to an alien planet.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Maybe the screamy robots were too dangerous so they got left behind. But whoops, now there's a screamy robot and you're hosed

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Now the doggos rule the earth, hope they can do a better job.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

banned from Starbucks posted:

In the opening credits there’s a montage of a bunch of nukes going off and I think there was a title card early on that alluded to it.

I could see the necromancers being deemed by the religious as unholy or OP or something to that effect, like how crossbows were prohibited by the Pope at one point.

Or maybe (which I think would be fitting given that this is from Ridley Scott and he’s all about examining android’s sentience and the moral implications of them for humanity and themselves among other themes), they were deemed too unreliable and dangerous to employ them, Mother being a good example.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

sticksy posted:

In the opening credits there’s a montage of a bunch of nukes going off and I think there was a title card early on that alluded to it.

I could see the necromancers being deemed by the religious as unholy or OP or something to that effect, like how crossbows were prohibited by the Pope at one point.

Or maybe (which I think would be fitting given that this is from Ridley Scott and he’s all about examining android’s sentience and the moral implications of them for humanity and themselves among other themes), they were deemed too unreliable and dangerous to employ them, Mother being a good example.
I actually wonder if Ridley took up this project specifically to further explore that theme, seeing as how he really wanted to do a third Prometheus movie with David going nuts on a new world with his pet colonists, and that's apparently not going to happen.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will say the necromancer flying and screaming is terrifying in a very weird way. Very well done.

I said it in the westworld thread and I’ll say it here too: Ridley Scott is absolutely convinced that robots are filled with milk, isn’t he?

Relatedly: I wonder if this will tie into Alien at all?

Doubly relatedly: when the religious people were examining their wrecked ship and that one guy discovers the vat of milk and just screams “MILK!!” at the top of his lungs I literally laughed out loud.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sticksy posted:

But the necros were the weapon of the religious?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Androids apparently start to behave erratically/starts to malfunctioning after long periods of time, so, maybe, loading your ship with them to take on a long trip is not advisable.

Kinda like bringing a bunch of nukes that could explode at any time.

The other androids are not that potentially dangerous.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This show is so freaking bizarre and I am not at all surprised that the creator wrote Prisoners, which was also full of strangeness

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Relatedly: I wonder if this will tie into Alien at all?

I doubt it. Only way it would fit is if they set it wayyy after Alien: Resurrection since Earth is still around at that point and the shows tech is much more ahead of anything in the Alien movies.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I really like this weird fucken show

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I really like how this whole show is about Ridley Scott's trademark that he puts into every movie: Mother. (See "Let me tell you about my mother" in Blade Runner, the name of the computer in Alien, etc. etc.)

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Doubly relatedly: when the religious people were examining their wrecked ship and that one guy discovers the vat of milk and just screams “MILK!!” at the top of his lungs I literally laughed out loud.

Yeah lol what the gently caress was that, "PIPE MILK OVER HERE GUYS." Looked like some piece of debris filled with milk. Dude was being super wasteful with that poo poo too he would've been kicked off the keg immediately.

It seems like Mother's weapon is sonic/sound-related yes? As she literally has to shriek every time to disintegrate someone, and you can see the waves coming out of her when she screams. But she also tells the girl/Campion "don't look at me" so I was kind of confused about what looking at her would do, if she can still direct a force at you that will evaporate you whether looking at her or not.

knox fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 10, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What kind of milk stays good after 13 years or whatever it was?!? That was my first reaction to that :haw:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Only seen episode 1, loved it. I really don't think the atheism side is being presented as obviously good; Mother is sorta "proven right" in a sense but she's also indoctrinating Campion with blatant hypocrisy. She tells him to never let his mind find comfort in fantasy but her following her own insane fantasies is what leads to her rediscovering her power. Also she literally shapes her face and voice into lies in order to comfort her son.

I'm not saying these things are wrong, but it seems clear that the teachings contained in her programming are terrible, and whether she ultimately is good or evil seems fairly separate from which side she came from.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I could see how it’s divisive but imo this show owns bones. I’m loving it so far.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 10, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wish they would drop 3 episodes at a time instead of this once a week bullshit now! (Also The Boys Season 2) :f5:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

priznat posted:

What kind of milk stays good after 13 years or whatever it was?!? That was my first reaction to that :haw:

Given how fast and loose this show plays with technology I just figured it was some synthetic milk with an endless shelf life.

IDG how the mother screams people into giblets either but it’s cool, so hey.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Martman posted:

Only seen episode 1, loved it. I really don't think the atheism side is being presented as obviously good; Mother is sorta "proven right" in a sense but she's also indoctrinating Campion with blatant hypocrisy. She tells him to never let his mind find comfort in fantasy but her following her own insane fantasies is what leads to her rediscovering her power. Also she literally shapes her face and voice into lies in order to comfort her son.

I'm not saying these things are wrong, but it seems clear that the teachings contained in her programming are terrible, and whether she ultimately is good or evil seems fairly separate from which side she came from.

I mean, she also named herself Lamia, which was a monster that ate children. I'm thinking this Mother character might be a bit of a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Given how fast and loose this show plays with technology I just figured it was some synthetic milk with an endless shelf life.

IDG how the mother screams people into giblets either but it’s cool, so hey.

I'm just mad cuz I'm always stocking up on milk and I want some of their supermilk (along with the hexapod containment)