Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Hey all, I have an idea, and I'd like the opinion of byob's resident 3D experts.

The ludum dare game development jam will be from October 2nd to October 5th, and I think it might be fun if byob participates. That means that byob would work together to make a game from start to finish in 72 hours, and the game would ideally fit a theme that will be announced October 2nd. In my imagination, there would be a few people (maybe just me) creating the code for the game, but everyone in byob would be able to create and submit assets (music, art, etc.) if they wanted. I haven't run this idea by any mod yet, but let's assume for the sake of this post that there wouldn't be any issue with this.

There's a month until the event starts, which means I have plenty of time to set up the development environment before then. So here comes the question: should the game be 2D or 3D?

If the game was 3D then we could include all the 3D models that people make in blender. And we could still include 2D art. If for instance someone makes an mspaint drawing of a donut, then we could paste that donut onto a wall, or tile it and make it the floor texture, or make it a floating sprite in the air, or whatever. But I know nothing about blender modeling, so the people in this thread would have to really step up with some models (unless the entire game was 2d floating donuts). Also, I'd have to learn unity, but I think that may be doable in a month.

On the other hand, we could just make a 2D game. We couldn't use any 3D models, but the game overall might be simpler, plus none of you would feel obligated to do anything. For a 2D game, I could just use haxedevelop, the same gamedev program I've always used - limited as it is. Any thoughts? I feel like if several people are excited to make 3D models, then we should go with blender, but if it seems like a chore to y'all then we should just do haxedevelop.

TLDR: Do y'all want to make some 3D models for a byob project from october 2nd to october 5th? If not, instead we'll do a different project that does not need 3D models.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

it's an interesting and ambitious idea (ambitious for byob I mean, which is apt to declare success and move on). I might be able to contribute some assets, depending on how fancy they needed to be, and like the idea in theory!

ty nesamdoom!

vanisher

I don't know how much time i'd have to contribute but I could do some things

We could also just do a thing where we pretend we are doing the contest and you make a game in three days! We get buy in from people for contributions over that period and then whatever it is at the end is what we've done.

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

blaise rascal

Manifisto posted:

it's an interesting and ambitious idea (ambitious for byob I mean, which is apt to declare success and move on). I might be able to contribute some assets, depending on how fancy they needed to be, and like the idea in theory!
I mean, I did the last ludum dare by myself, so I feel like byob could contribute as much or as little as desired. When considered in that light, I don't think it's too ambitious. It really helps that the event is constrained to 72 hours, so there's no time for arguing or debating.

Y'know, maybe asking for y'all to contribute models, AND me trying to learn unity, might be too much. So I'm leaning toward 2D & haxeflixel at this time. Actually, come to think of it, 3D animations could still be added as gifs or even sprite sheets, so that's good! I'll plan on going 2D, unless someone in this thread says they really want to try out the 3D idea.

vanisher posted:

I don't know how much time i'd have to contribute but I could do some things

We could also just do a thing where we pretend we are doing the contest and you make a game in three days! We get buy in from people for contributions over that period and then whatever it is at the end is what we've done.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "buy in"

nut

i just caught up with the thread and, although i am not blending, i just wanted to say it's so insanely good what everyone is doing. it blows my mind that single people can make these things!

vanisher

Blender 2.9 is out?

https://www.blender.org/download/releases/2-90/

Manifisto

that's rad! I knew it was immanent but had not checked.

this one is not groundbreaking but a lot of nifty little things that certain people will undoubtedly like, and I'm sure a bunch of bug fixes got incorporated as well.

the next version that's coming out will have the "particle nodes" system, that will be a big change in interface for particle systems. seems a tad confusing at first but I'm sure it will end up being more flexible than the current setup. one thing you'll be able to do is have particles create their own particle systems, so you can make proper fireworks for example.

ty nesamdoom!

Jenny Agutter

anyone hosed around with lux core render? it seems more finicky than vanilla blender but the results are cool

Manifisto

Jenny Agutter posted:

anyone hosed around with lux core render? it seems more finicky than vanilla blender but the results are cool

that's beautiful! there are a lot of other renderers that people can use with blender (free and paid) and they all seem to have various things to recommend them (drawbacks too). for the moment learning cycles and eevee is my focus but at some point I'm sure I will try some of the other renderers. I think I'm gonna focus on learning a new one when I start using particular features a lot in which cycles doesn't perform as well. I've heard it said that cycles isn't ideal for caustics, and there are some nice looking caustics there!

ty nesamdoom!

blaise rascal

I've been messing around with the Godot game engine lately, and it's been a blast. It reminds of blender because it's open source, and because it's one piece of software that can do a ton of different things.

Here is a demo project (not mine) that shows the layout pretty well. Everything is super object-oriented; the Outside "scene" (aka class) is made up of a bunch of Puddle sprites & some custom made classes. The Flower class is made up of a sprite and a hitbox, which is pretty intuitive. The Player class is made up of a bunch of stuff.

The busy gui may fool you into thinking this is a lightweight game engine, like rpg maker, but don't be misled; any object can have a script attached to it. The python-like language used here can implement everything from pathfinding to box2d physics to mobile touch controls. Oh, and anything in the gui can be controlled through a script instead. Shown here is a section of the player controls; if you press up, the 2D movement vector gets UP added to it, which is defined as (0,1)

There's also an animation suite complete with tweening, onionskinning, whatever

You can add effects to audio (and connect these effects to in-game triggers)

I was originally drawn to godot over something like unity, because godot is optimized for 2D - but it also has a full set of 3D tools that I have not scratched the surface of.

The following voxel demo, along with many other demos, can be downloaded from the godot website directly within the editor.

In conclusion, godot is a good program, and my brain is too small to handle it. Thanks for reading my book report about godot.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I haven't used godot since it got the update that made it 3D-capable, but it was super intuitive to me (which means it might not be really intuitive to Blender people, since Blender is infinitely counterintuitive to me). The animation system is exactly what I want from an animation system, how I would design it - you give it key-frames and tell it what some values should be at those frames, and how to interpolate between them, and you can also use it to trigger things that aren't animation related, like you can put in a keyframe "call this other function", so you can use it to trigger sound effects and things too.

I made a really simple and effective talking character animation in a platform game by just separating the character's bottom jaw, recording a growly mumbly voice effect, and synchronizing some y co-ordinate linear movements and small rotations to the lower jaw, for a south park canadian kind of animation, it took me like 5 minutes from "never having touched the animation system before" to "synchronized audio and movements and word-at-a-time speech bubbles, triggered by player action, that look pretty good."

(But then there was the godot update from version 2 to 3 and it wasn't compatible and I didn't want to continue using the older one because it had some bugs, so I just abandoned my project, as is my way.)

blaise rascal

roomforthetuna posted:

I haven't used godot since it got the update that made it 3D-capable, but it was super intuitive to me (which means it might not be really intuitive to Blender people, since Blender is infinitely counterintuitive to me). The animation system is exactly what I want from an animation system, how I would design it - you give it key-frames and tell it what some values should be at those frames, and how to interpolate between them, and you can also use it to trigger things that aren't animation related, like you can put in a keyframe "call this other function", so you can use it to trigger sound effects and things too.

I made a really simple and effective talking character animation in a platform game by just separating the character's bottom jaw, recording a growly mumbly voice effect, and synchronizing some y co-ordinate linear movements and small rotations to the lower jaw, for a south park canadian kind of animation, it took me like 5 minutes from "never having touched the animation system before" to "synchronized audio and movements and word-at-a-time speech bubbles, triggered by player action, that look pretty good."

(But then there was the godot update from version 2 to 3 and it wasn't compatible and I didn't want to continue using the older one because it had some bugs, so I just abandoned my project, as is my way.)
Neat, thanks for sharing! Godot is not the only program that has "bake sound to f-curve" or whatever it's called, since I've definitely seen people do that in blender as well, with really good results. Oh, and blender also has the ability to choose interpolation mode between keyframes. Here, for instance, you can pick "sinusoidal" or "linear" or whatever (see the dialog in the bottom center)

But I agree that sometimes blender is counterintuitive! These cool functions can be tough to find in blender's gui.

Anyway, if you ever did want to get back into godot, the good news is that 3.2 is a long-term support release, so the engine itself should produce minimal bugs for years to come.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

blaise rascal posted:

Anyway, if you ever did want to get back into godot, the good news is that 3.2 is a long-term support release, so the engine itself should produce minimal bugs for years to come.
I did love Godot's feature-set, but one thing I decided I can't tolerate is the "everything is drawing an entire new frame" model, because I want to make cross-platform things, and drawing 30fps when nothing is happening on a phone sucks all the battery out, or on my laptop makes it get hot when it shouldn't. So for my sort of relatively casual low-fi 2D game, Flutter is probably a better bet. (Also I generally prefer to roll my own simple physics engines because other people's prebuilt ones always have quirks that frustrate me - for example, Godot's physics last time I was using it had a risk that if you run a circle over two perfectly aligned squares, the circle would 'bump' and pick up some vertical velocity at the seam that should by rights be seamless. I don't like to find myself making special subroutines to subvert the default behavior of a physics engine.)

So I still 100% endorse Godot as a great tool for other people making games, but for my particular blend of desires and preferences it's not a good fit. Though it is way closer than Unity or Unreal to being something I like! And it's only because I'm an old curmudgeon who remembers the days when a whole game fit in under a megabyte that I object to the performance issues that come with a game engine. And with engine quirks, even when I play AAA games I'm always like "how could they release this with the main character sometimes catching on the steps of stairs?!" or similar. This is probably also why I hardly ever finish anything.

Jenny Agutter

i got inspired by the thrad title (i haven nver held a bong in my life)

Manifisto

Jenny Agutter posted:

FINALLY someone has the decency to post a bong in the blender bong thread!!!

it looks v nice imo, I would smoke virtual weed out of it

needs a carb hole tho, but I guess you could just pull the stem out in a pinch

by the way, "carb hole" is my nickname for my mouth

because I put carbs in it, for example pie sometimes

ty nesamdoom!

Jenny Agutter

Manifisto posted:

[furiously scribbling notes]

blaise rascal

roomforthetuna posted:

And it's only because I'm an old curmudgeon who remembers the days when a whole game fit in under a megabyte that I object to the performance issues that come with a game engine.
Haha. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to think like an actual programmer, in terms of performance and whatnot. "Hack it together and pray" has been my methodology for years. Hopefully, Godot doesn't actually redraw EVERYTHING every frame, but who knows?

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread - on the topic of blender, I'd like to highlight this video that Manifisto posted a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58lc8sLpJzY

I wanted to mention how it seems similar to how the fish are animated in the game Abzu. Rather than animating the joints & bones like you would traditionally, the Abzu developers used what they call "static mesh instancing" - as far as I can tell, that means applying different sinusoidal positional and rotational animations to the entire fish model. What's interesting is that it seems to have massive performance benefits. Whereas they could only animate 30 or so fish on screen with traditional skeletal rigs, their static mesh instancing method let them animate 10,000 or more at a time. Check out their fascinating GDC talk on the subject: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024409/Creating-the-Art-of-ABZ

Jenny Agutter posted:

Oo, this is lovely!

roomforthetuna

blaise rascal posted:

Haha. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to think like an actual programmer, in terms of performance and whatnot. "Hack it together and pray" has been my methodology for years. Hopefully, Godot doesn't actually redraw EVERYTHING every frame, but who knows?
I'm pretty sure Godot and Unity both do redrawing everything every frame. For Unity it makes sense since it tends to be 3D focused, you basically have to redraw everything in 3D anyway. And it's common in game engines in general because they're doing frame-flipping for vsync, so if you want to leave unchanging content alone you need to implement dirty rectangle marking that persists across *two* frames (I did this twenty years ago), and it's a pain that's generally considered not worth it because in most games everything is dirty all the time anyway, and GPUs are fast enough, so why not just redraw everything every frame. I certainly can understand this reasoning, but I hate it. :)

NonzeroCircle

El Camino
I'm trying to do a render of a rainy thing, but the overhauls in physics since 2.8 or whenever the video I'm following was made means none of the options are the same so I had to find a different tutorial. It can get a bit like fractal tutorials at times

Manifisto

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm trying to do a render of a rainy thing, but the overhauls in physics since 2.8 or whenever the video I'm following was made means none of the options are the same so I had to find a different tutorial. It can get a bit like fractal tutorials at times

yeah I still haven't got the new fluid/smoke sim down quite yet. I've played with it enough to know how it generally works but I feel like I'm back to square one when it comes to getting stuff to behave how I want. the results that other people are getting with it look really great though, so I imagine it's worth putting up with the change.

I know what you mean about the tutorials. it's great that blender is getting all sorts of upgrades so quickly but it does make it rather confusing when you find a tutorial that doesn't match the latest version.

and we're going to have to relearn particle system when particle nodes comes along. whee!

ty nesamdoom!

vanisher

I'm having fun using simple planes for animations in blender. It's not too many steps to set up, rendering all the frames is the longest part. Here's something I worked up for the zoom call

https://i.imgur.com/3nkdTqx.mp4

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

NonzeroCircle

El Camino
I'm really struggling to make it create any fluid at all. I'm cheating a workaround for this thing cos it's only for hair particles, think my next project will be trying to figure out fluids.

I'm doing the CGGeek animated rain one at the mo, pc hasn't set on fire yet!

Manifisto

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm really struggling to make it create any fluid at all. I'm cheating a workaround for this thing cos it's only for hair particles, think my next project will be trying to figure out fluids.

I'm doing the CGGeek animated rain one at the mo, pc hasn't set on fire yet!

I think the thing that helped me with my confusion was changing the "type" of the cache from "Replay" to "All" or "Modular" as needed. "Modular" will probably cut down on your bake times if you're doing lots of tweaks. If it's not "Replay" though, you will have to manually bake your caches as needed.

e: also make sure the "mesh" box is ticked under "liquid", or else your bake won't include a mesh and you won't see the fluid

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 7, 2020

ty nesamdoom!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Manifisto posted:

the bong is beautiful. mani may be a blender expert but has in this post outed himself as a bong amateur. pull stems are far superior to crude workarounds such as carbs

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

owlhawk911

imagine if that bong was full of water and smoke was bubbling thru it tho

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

the bong is beautiful. mani may be a blender expert but has in this post outed himself as a bong amateur. pull stems are far superior to crude workarounds such as carbs

guilty as charged, the last time I purchased a bong was literally decades ago

and pull stems may be great for people who don't drop things a lot, but for me I'm not so sure

ty nesamdoom!

Jenny Agutter

owlhawk911 posted:

lmfao i was just working on this exact thing and blender crashed and i didn't save in an hour. gonna go walk around for a bit

Manifisto

Jenny Agutter posted:

lmfao i was just working on this exact thing and blender crashed and i didn't save in an hour. gonna go walk around for a bit

saving frequently is something that has become a habit for me, even though blender is usually not very crashy compared to other programs

don't despair tho, there is an autosave that surely captured some of your progress. it saved another yobber's butt recently.

ty nesamdoom!

NonzeroCircle

El Camino

Manifisto posted:

I think the thing that helped me with my confusion was changing the "type" of the cache from "Replay" to "All" or "Modular" as needed. "Modular" will probably cut down on your bake times if you're doing lots of tweaks. If it's not "Replay" though, you will have to manually bake your caches as needed.

e: also make sure the "mesh" box is ticked under "liquid", or else your bake won't include a mesh and you won't see the fluid

Thanks for that. Well my road surface doesn't seem to be rendering out in the vid but tomorrow I'll figure it out and see about uploading today's cool looking mistake and hopefully what I intended

Edit:

Here's my 'didn't render the stuff I put the work into' animated rain

https://i.imgur.com/HByyq46.gifv

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 7, 2020

Jenny Agutter

owlhawk911 posted:

did this with liquid and smoke simulation, it also looks diff because i used cycles instead of lux. missing those caustics ;_; otoh this rendered in like a minute as opposed to several hours

Manifisto

Jenny Agutter posted:

did this with liquid and smoke simulation, it also looks diff because i used cycles instead of lux. missing those caustics ;_; otoh this rendered in like a minute as opposed to several hours

niice

cycles does caustics! but ya gotta tweak things to make them look how you want, light sources esp

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

cycles render with some caustics, took about an hour and 20 minutes on my potato netbook

ty nesamdoom!

Jenny Agutter

that looks real nice

I think this is how bongs work no one correct me
https://i.imgur.com/rHlToVB.mp4

Manifisto

that is exactly how bongs work, good job, u done it :toot:

ty nesamdoom!

owlhawk911

Jenny Agutter posted:

that looks real nice

I think this is how bongs work no one correct me
https://i.imgur.com/rHlToVB.mp4

it's real pretty. i won't correct you

RazzleDazzleHour

A beautiful bong. A majestic bong

Jenny Agutter

if anyone wants a blender bong https://mega.nz/folder/tcNlDKzZ#OPMy121G7lOrhZ5-9p3Hzw

owlhawk911

snagged it. respect

RazzleDazzleHour

Okay I stopped cheating and finally made something in Blender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter

holy poo poo! amazing