Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have had three wives and two concubines and not a single one of them will have a kid with me rather than any rancid bastard that comes along the way. I tried to disinherit them but I only got through two before I realized I didn't have enough dynasty prestige to keep up with the sheer level of skank happening in my castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Communist Walrus posted:

They turned into low level feudal equivalents in CK2 and that seemed to work just fine.

Yeah between this and tribal being far stronger than feudal when it comes to blobbing out im just ignoring it altogether and managing successions with some tactful murders. Hopefully they implement a similar system to ck2 to avoid destroying your realm when you move up.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
One nice thing about moving to Feudal is that your entire realm isn't constantly at each others throat, so you don't get characters dying in pointless, internal battles all the time.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I'm having a bunch of fun with this game but I'm pretty sure I don't truly understand half the systems yet. Any tips for a better military? I seem to lose most wars I start and most of the ones others start against me. Is there something I should be doing better or should I just avoid wars all together?

Also is it possible to end up an Emperor of Europe or like a Genghis Khan or anything to that extent? I've only played a couple of games so far

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

If I have siege men at arms and I put them to level 2, does that increase their siege progress? Because the UI doesn't seem to change to reflect that.

Also, the norse are broken as hell. I started in 867 Norway and after forming said country, only did a a couple major wars for Denmark and Sweden but otherwise didn't really go to war. My vassals meanwhile, have managed to bring:

Ireland, Scotland, 1/3 of England, Portugal, Brittany, Normandy, parts of Spain, and northern Morocco under my realms banner.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 7, 2020

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I converted to Feudal but a bunch of my vassals are stuck on tribal holdings, even in my Kingdom - what gives?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Bold Robot posted:

Where can you see your Knightly Power? Is that an actual stat? I just see number of knights.

Ah, no, it's just a term I made up. The tooltips say a knight is 100 attack and 10 toughness per prowess at 100% efficiency, I.e 10 levies worth of murder and 1 levy worth of dying. I have overall high-prowess ones because I'm Chivalrous so all the big gay bear knights are super happy to come over and marry my spinster aunts -- really, my top 3 fighters are all gay for some reason -- and I estimate my average to be 20ish prowess, so 8 knights at 100% is 16 000 attack while 12 knights at 175% is 42 000 attack.

That's not a very accurate analysis, in particular my last 4 knights are definitely not as good as my first 8, but you get the gist: Chivalry is a lot of levies worth of killing power early on if you can get high prowess courtiers. Things like the advantage buff and your king not being brutally killed in battle quite so often is also nice of course.

E: I should say that recruiting war prisoners, hawking cousins and the occasional kidnapping are all good tools for keeping your knights powerful and strong. Thanks again to whoever mentioned matrilinealy marrying off courtiers for knights, it really meshes well with chivalry's marriage bonuses. Definitely don't settle for the dregs of the recruit decision, use that character search. A good knight can last you decades, so try not to buy one that's overly used even if the current prowess is slightly better.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 7, 2020

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Fists Up posted:

I'm having a bunch of fun with this game but I'm pretty sure I don't truly understand half the systems yet. Any tips for a better military? I seem to lose most wars I start and most of the ones others start against me. Is there something I should be doing better or should I just avoid wars all together?

Also is it possible to end up an Emperor of Europe or like a Genghis Khan or anything to that extent? I've only played a couple of games so far

1) A smaller army with Men-at-Arms is more effective than a larger one made entirely out of levies, so make sure you're retaining some in your own forces. Additional knights also improve the quality of your army. Your commander can possess traits that give you a better advantage, such as giving a higher max dice roll or reducing enemy defenses.

2) You can become "Emperor of Europe" by reuniting the Roman Empire, though I've never come close to accomplishing that. I usually just settle for becoming the head of the HRE or Byzantines and trying to keep that together.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How Britain ends up in the 867 start seems to hinge a lot on how quickly Alfred ascends to the Wessex throne. When he does they triple their available troops, and can start fighting back against the viking invasion for real. I had a game earlier where practically everything but a few parts of the isles up in Scotland were under catholic control by 900.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah it is a little weird seeing Swedish counties along the coasts stretching around Iberia into the Mediterranean. I have the exclave rule on its max setting but since they're coastal the game allows it.

Also, it's a pain in the rear end going up against kingdoms with elective succession laws. I wish there was a better way to split their countries up, because right now to keep them manageable I sometimes have to assassinate their kings over and over until I get one who is weak enough to deal with. But no matter how many I kill, their kingdoms don't lose any land.

Is the 1066 start a little more sane with the border gore? I would imagine it's not much different but I think these wacky Vikings might be making it crazier.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 7, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Have you guys ever had knights (or champions in this case) just vanish on you with no messages?

I've got 14 champions, and suddenly with no notice at all I've got 7 and my entire council is gone.

e: and fake edit, I reloaded the save half a dozen times and what seems to be happening is my liege conquered mercia and landed all of my champions

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Willfrey posted:

Wish Tanistry was a bit more... I dunno, clear? Less janky?

Firstly everybody else votes for anything but your choice it seems. Second is if you hook somebody into voting your way the hook will eventually expire so it hardly matters unless you are on death's doorstep

Also it feels a little glitchy in that sometimes the vote switches for a split second and goes back before you have time to see what changed. Happens so often I stopped paying attention to it, confident of my chosen heir's chances

Minutes after reuniting Britiannia and forming an empire my guy dies, I become my lovely grandson who was just about the worst choice. Owns one dutchy and only inherits the empire title. Meanwhile he has an uncle with an amazing seat of powerful irish holdings, 2 kingdom titles and 66 vassals while I have like 12 vassals in north Scotland.

Why on earth would a tanistry think the 19 year old was their guy? Ah well guess I cant have my way all the time. Keeps things interesting I suppose.

If you ever play under a Tanistry Succession as a vassal you would understand. They are actively trying to screw the people with the most power. They want that lovely 19 year old to inherent so they can more easily gain land and power over someone that would put them in their place.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Tanistry seems way worse in this anyway. My recollection from CK2 was you voted for an heir and all your poo poo went to him, in this one it's just gavelkind with voting

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
There's some messed up poo poo going on when you declare war during the crusades. If you join a crusade, and some else's vassal joins the crusade you can declare war on that vassal's liege and the vassal land will pop out of the realm as allied territory, because you and the vassal are allied in the crusade. Now you can beat the poo poo out of the liege while half his country is attrition free, fully supplied allied land for my invasion.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The newly-installed King of Jerusalem converted to Islam within a few years of the end of the Crusade. :shrug:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

My idiot discovery this evening is that you don't need to use a building slot on walls. If you click the castle level 1 button above the building slots you can upgrade the holding itself and not have to waste a slot on walls to upgrade the fort level.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Anyone got suggestions for good 2 player co-op multiplayer starts? Looking for somewhere that's gentle (as we're both not amazing at the game) where we can easily ally/assist each other, but not tread on each others toes if we want to start to expand.

Related question, I've seen people recommend occasionally recommend playing as dukes under the same vassal - I haven't had much experience playing vassal games, what do I need to keep in mind/do differently than when I'm at the top of the pecking order?

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 7, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddammit, these 867 starts are reminding me about how much I hate Gavelkind.

I started as Haestein, tore Brittany the gently caress up and raided the French mercilessly and invested that money into building up my holdings, then he dies, the realm goes to poo poo, and I catch endless holy wars. I suppose the real play is to do the same thing but convert to Catholicism on my deathbed, then at the very least the kingdom would remain in my family's hands as opposed to getting fractured and destroyed the moment Haestein dies.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 7, 2020

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

toasterwarrior posted:

Goddammit, these 867 starts are reminding me about how much I hate Gavelkind.

I started as Haestein, tore Brittany the gently caress up and raided the French mercilessly and invested that money into building up my holdings, then he dies, the realm goes to poo poo, and I catch endless holy wars. I suppose the real play is to do the same thing but convert to Catholicism on my deathbed, then at the very least the kingdom would remain in my family's hands as opposed to getting fractured and destroyed the moment Haestein dies.

Can you "pre-seed" your main heir by dropping them the best titles as you wander into old age? IE, you literally hand them the best duchy when you are like 70 or so and then and the lovely remaining duchy and have your kids split that up instead?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

The newly-installed King of Jerusalem converted to Islam within a few years of the end of the Crusade. :shrug:

Happens all the time now. I think the AI parameters for converting to local culture/religion are a bit busted atm, especially for edge cases like the Crusader states where you've rulers ruling in a land far away from their original culture and religion.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MikeC posted:

Can you "pre-seed" your main heir by dropping them the best titles as you wander into old age? IE, you literally hand them the best duchy when you are like 70 or so and then and the lovely remaining duchy and have your kids split that up instead?

I've completely forgotten that I can do this. Well, at least in CK2 you could. I'll give it a try after a re-roll.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

Anyone got suggestions for good 2 player co-op multiplayer starts? Looking for somewhere that's gentle (as we're both not amazing at the game) where we can easily ally/assist each other, but not tread on each others toes if we want to start to expand.

Related question, I've seen people recommend occasionally recommend playing as dukes under the same vassal - I haven't had much experience playing vassal games, what do I need to keep in mind/do differently than when I'm at the top of the pecking order?

867 start, Ivar the Boneless + Jorvik tag-teaming Northumbria, Each of them have wars against 1/ 2 of it.
( and you start with 5000 special soldiers each.)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Alright, here's how to "beat" gavelkind, especially as a tribal.
Grab one duchy and all internal counties for each heir other than your main, keep your main duchy and all counties for yourself, never land your main heir.

When you croak, your heir should get your highest title, your main duchy, and all the counties within it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Alright, here's how to "beat" gavelkind, especially as a tribal.
Grab one duchy and all internal counties for each heir other than your main, keep your main duchy and all counties for yourself, never land your main heir.

When you croak, your heir should get your highest title, your main duchy, and all the counties within it.

I'm not sure this'll work in my case since Brittany has the one duchy only, but I'll keep it in mind, thank you. The pre-seeding tactic might though, unless we're reading the mechanics wrong.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I feel like alot of players have got it wrong regarding gavelkind/partition and looking for ways to beat it. Succession meaning civil wars with sibiling murder is really just part and parcel of the Medieval experience, especially if you're in the Islamic world.

If people find ways to game it, before you get primogentiure or can be bothered to disinherit or kill off enough of the other heirs, then I think Paradox should look at that and try to come up with ways to prevent you from effectively doing it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dealing with it is part of the game, IMO though, and CK3 is better for making primo harder to obtain. However everyone's free to play the game their own way, so there is like a half dozen mods on the workshop anyways that let you do primogeniture right away if you really don't want to deal with less stable inheritance laws.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

There's going to be some trouble in Russia tomorrow. If dad had managed to live maybe three more years he'd have had time to grab the last few duchies needed to form Rus, but instead the realm has exploded and there's going to have to be stabbings and wars. I was elected to three of the five kingdoms though, and the other two went to two different people, so I have the advantage. If only my stats weren't rancid.

E; I think part of it is that currently the inheritances are not working in a coherent and/or sensible way. It's one thing for the realm to be divided up, it's another for it to make you King but give you some random duchy at the arse end of the realm with a farmer and his three sheep as your source of soldiers and income.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 7, 2020

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Randarkman posted:

If people find ways to game it, before you get primogentiure or can be bothered to disinherit or kill off enough of the other heirs, then I think Paradox should look at that and try to come up with ways to prevent you from effectively doing it.

I feel like disinheriting will get nerfed soon, it's really easy to do as long as you only have 2-3 sons. And who cares about an opinion penalty from an unlanded dude to your old king. Unless there are other drawbacks i haven't seen. I've had 2 cadet branches set up, so maybe that's a side effect.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ms Adequate posted:

E; I think part of it is that currently the inheritances are not working in a coherent and/or sensible way. It's one thing for the realm to be divided up, it's another for it to make you King but give you some random duchy at the arse end of the realm with a farmer and his three sheep as your source of soldiers and income.

I'm assuming this is because of Elective? Maybe specifically the Scandinavian Elective inheritance law?

The reason that law gives you some random county in the middle of nowhere, is that the law is only for the highest titile, nothing else. All your other titles, duchies, counties, are still levied up between your children.
The best way to use this method is to make your heir someone that is already landed.

Eltoasto posted:

I feel like disinheriting will get nerfed soon, it's really easy to do as long as you only have 2-3 sons. And who cares about an opinion penalty from an unlanded dude to your old king. Unless there are other drawbacks i haven't seen. I've had 2 cadet branches set up, so maybe that's a side effect.

Doesn't disinherit tank your renown? You really don't want to waste your renown on anything outside of the dynasty tree.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 7, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Anyone else feel that military skill is largely irrelevant for everything except accumilating military lifestyle points? Basically it would be concievable that a high milskill leader should be able to defeat a larger force with bad commander however it never happens in my experience. As for levy size, building upgrades are way more important, so high stewardship is probably better for the size and quality of your army.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do Men-at-Arms, even light infantry, vastly outperform levies? I figured that using those building slots for more gold and investing it into quality troops instead of more levies might be a smarter play.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 7, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Do Men-at-Arms, even light infantry, vastly outperform levies?

Yes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Unless they get countered.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I solved this problem by making the de jure capital duchy of my empire (Skåne, in the case of Scandinavia) also have Scandinavian Elective. Since it's a small duchy and I hold all the counties, it means I just get to pick the heir 100% of the time. Then it's just a matter of making sure I'm always voting for whoever is going to be my actual heir.

But oh boy, succession for the empire is going to be tough this time around, because everyone in the actual north is voting for the king of Norway to become the new emperor of Scandinavia, which is fine, but everyone in the British Isles is voting for some local backwater lord to be King of the Danelaw and emperor of Britannia since they don't trust a foreign heathen, and that's going to be a problem.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

toasterwarrior posted:

Do Men-at-Arms, even light infantry, vastly outperform levies? I figured that using those building slots for more gold and investing it into quality troops instead of more levies might be a smarter play.

In game you can see the stats on the men at arms and levies. Levies are 10 swords and 10 shields each while depending on your upgrades light footmen will be about 3x that (plus pursuit stats for murdering folks after the battle), armored footmen will be 5-6x, armored horsemen 10x. Also right now these mother fuckers can teleport anywhere in your realm instantly.

Knights are the real gods though -- each point of prowess is worth the murder power of 10 levies.

FYI to anyone exploring the warfare line -- the final legacy regiment type is only a single unit of 100 guys. Probably only useful if you're too small to afford using all your man at arms slots.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 7, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

Doesn't disinherit tank your renown? You really don't want to waste your renown on anything outside of the dynasty tree.

Yeah it costs 75 per use. It's not much compared to how much the dynasty perks cost, but it adds up over time if you're using it a lot.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

75 renown to keep your kingdom together is nothing. It may add up in the long term but i'd happily miss out on a +5 relation buff to not have to worry about reconquering the same areas.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm pretty sure it either costs more than 75 or the cost goes up each time you do it. Because I did it a couple of times in one of my first runs, and I definitely remember it being more of a trade-off than just losing 75.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Eltoasto posted:

75 renown to keep your kingdom together is nothing. It may add up in the long term but i'd happily miss out on a +5 relation buff to not have to worry about reconquering the same areas.

I think you're mixing up fame and renown, fame is the prestige level exp, renown is the dynasty tree exp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Broken Cog posted:

I'm assuming this is because of Elective? Maybe specifically the Scandinavian Elective inheritance law?

The reason that law gives you some random county in the middle of nowhere, is that the law is only for the highest titile, nothing else. All your other titles, duchies, counties, are still levied up between your children.
The best way to use this method is to make your heir someone that is already landed.

That is why it's happening, but at least based on tooltips it's not supposed to be what happens. The person who inherits your primary title is the primary heir. Under partition succession, the primary heir is supposed to get the realm capital. So on that basis, even if your primary title has a seperate succession law, the way the system is described in the tooltip, partition should have a step where it hands out the realm capital first, then start divvying up your rulers titles among children and grandchildren. Of course what actually happens is that the system ignores your primary title if it has a different succession law to the rest of the realm, but when it does that it means the person who is labelled as your primary and player heir doesn't get the realm capital, which violates how the tooltip says partition succession works.