Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Trying to fit the book into a 2:15 movie was nuts.

Then Lynch added a bunch of stuff not even in the book on top of that.

But even so

AwkwardKnob posted:

Hahahahaha holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Is the teaser that’s circulating online a leak of whatever they’re premiering on Sept 9? Because there’s text in that teaser that says only ”experience the trailer” which is confusing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Seems appropriate, you get program notes at the opera, it's a space opera so bam -> program notes for a movie :downs:

I will admit that the first time I read Dune I was referencing the appendices and glossary every other page, though not really because I needed the info, it was just really cool to have things like ecology notes right there for you to reference whenever

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jewmanji posted:

Is the teaser that’s circulating online a leak of whatever they’re premiering on Sept 9? Because there’s text in that teaser that says only ”experience the trailer” which is confusing.

The teaser will be tied to whatever big sports event is maybe happening this weekend and it’ll run throughout until the actual trailer next week.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

If it is the thing with Paul and the Gom Jabbar that was the teaser attached to Tenet, which says that the full trailer will be on the 9th.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
When I saw The Empire Strikes Back in '81 they handed out little booklets that gave a synopsis of the plot and a character guide.

effloresce
May 19, 2008
I'm only here for it if they keep the orgy scene

effloresce fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 3, 2020

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/DRMovieNews1/status/1301573216255832064?s=20

I also see some people on twitter saying the trailer will be 3mins long.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Arglebargle III posted:

To be fair, it's pretty anticlimactic in the book too. Duncan is good at knife fighting but he gets shot in the head. Next paragraph.

My solution to this is that if they do the Harkonnen party scene where Feyd meets Fenrig/and the Baron pontificates on his long term plans with him more, when Feyd goes into the arena instead of being an oh poo poo my opponent is some Atreides guy because Thufir planted him there, just have the opponent be Duncan like just have him get captured like Thufir or whatever and so they had this planned all along. Have the fight be crazy brutal with Feyd almost dying but still emerging victorious.

So Duncan goes out in a badass way, the whole thing establishes Feyd as both a wreckless political threat as well as a physical one, and you also have a whole arena audience of high society folks see first hand that Duncan is a monster level warrior even when captured/beaten/poisoned so you have more organic gears set in motion for getting to the point of a gola being made of him to gently caress with Paul in Dune Messiah. Most importantly, you can have the Baron talk about what psychos these Atreides folks are while chatting up the other court folks but how the noble Feyd overcame them/etc.- so you have an organic reason for both him and Feyd to be conversing out loud with the other guests every single machination and thought they internal monologue in that part of the book.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I really don't like that, in part because I think it's wrong to think of the scene in the novel as anticlimactic. It's quick, but that's par for most of the fight scenes in the novel, especially in the attack on the Atreides.

In that scene, Duncan is a monster level warrior. He's cutting down Harkonnen left and right, holding the door so his lord can flee. Putting a slow pellet through his head is the only way they can stop him. And it is very important that Paul see him die. Paul admires Duncan the most out of his father's men. He's the closest thing Paul has to a friend. And then Paul sees that friend die abruptly and tragically while selflessly and heroically fighting to protect him.

That's why Hayt is a such a mindfuck for Paul. He loved this dude. He saw this dude die to save him. And now this dude is back with weird robot eyes and apparently no memory.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PeterWeller posted:

I really don't like that, in part because I think it's wrong to think of the scene in the novel as anticlimactic. It's quick, but that's par for most of the fight scenes in the novel, especially in the attack on the Atreides.

In that scene, Duncan is a monster level warrior. He's cutting down Harkonnen left and right, holding the door so his lord can flee. Putting a slow pellet through his head is the only way they can stop him. And it is very important that Paul see him die. Paul admires Duncan the most out of his father's men. He's the closest thing Paul has to a friend. And then Paul sees that friend die abruptly and tragically while selflessly and heroically fighting to protect him.

That's why Hayt is a such a mindfuck for Paul. He loved this dude. He saw this dude die to save him. And now this dude is back with weird robot eyes and apparently no memory.

Oh I mean you can still see him go down earlier sure, him being alive should be a surprise to the viewer too.

I just, even for this adaptation, have zero confidence that they won't just have a missile hit him or some other generically explosive/almost off screen thing happen like in the previous adaptations. Plus to me having someone bring a knife to a gunfight in a sci-fi movie is just going to make them look stupid unless they go with almost no firearms throughout the movie.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Also I don't really like the idea of having named characters take the role of background chars. They do that poo poo in Star Wars all the time. The universe is gigantic (even in the fuuutuuuuure) but somehow everybody knows everybody and have stories about hanging out with them. Everybody has Boba Fett on speed dial. Everyone's got a story of being held in an Imperial jail. Everybody goes to the Hutt's 4th of Julyabooba parties. It makes the universe seem smaller, not bigger.

It would be one thing if it were coincidental but letting writers and directors take the easy way out is p much how you get everybody getting advice from Melisandre or Dexxter Jettster.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

phasmid posted:

Also I don't really like the idea of having named characters take the role of background chars. They do that poo poo in Star Wars all the time. The universe is gigantic (even in the fuuutuuuuure) but somehow everybody knows everybody and have stories about hanging out with them. Everybody has Boba Fett on speed dial. Everyone's got a story of being held in an Imperial jail. Everybody goes to the Hutt's 4th of Julyabooba parties. It makes the universe seem smaller, not bigger.

It would be one thing if it were coincidental but letting writers and directors take the easy way out is p much how you get everybody getting advice from Melisandre or Dexxter Jettster.

Hear hear!

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I generally agree, but this idea seems less shoehorned than a lot of situations, so I’d be ok with it. *shrug*

GOT did this sort of thing a lot, but one example I thought worked ok was Brienne vs Hound.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

spanky the dolphin posted:

https://twitter.com/DRMovieNews1/status/1301573216255832064?s=20

I also see some people on twitter saying the trailer will be 3mins long.
I hope the trailer really is "stunning in sense and scope", because these stills are... kind of underwhelming? Dimly-lit CGI shot that could be from Rise of Skywalker, dimly-lit shot of kid in museum, dimly-lit shot of kid in library, publicity shot of actors in Borg costumes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chalamet's haircut is a-PAUL-ing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Humanity in the year 10,000 should look utterly alien and weird, and I'm not really getting that vibe yet. It's like 2500 at best.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah it should be like that Doctor Who episode. You know, the bad one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah it should be like that Doctor Who episode. You know, the bad one.

Oh, no, not like that. Humans should be human, their culture and dress and whatnot should be unrecognisable I mean.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'The Robots of Death' was actually the trigger for the Butlerian Jihad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, no, not like that. Humans should be human, their culture and dress and whatnot should be unrecognisable I mean.

Two words: funny hats

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

The_Doctor posted:

Humanity in the year 10,000 should look utterly alien and weird, and I'm not really getting that vibe yet. It's like 2500 at best.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The_Doctor posted:

Hard same. Dune should look like an acid trip, not like a Christopher Nolan movie but scaled up.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I watched the miniseries this weekend and everything looks like absolute garbage.Just third rate execution in general. The sets are generally bad (Kaitain looks like pure poo poo)and the lightning makes them look worse, the cgi is terrible, the acting is just amateurish but Ian mcniece as baron Harkonnen rules tho.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah The Time Machine owns for this

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

hump day bitches! posted:

Ian mcniece as baron Harkonnen rules tho.

truth

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I feel like the stillsuits and the Fremen look fine, but the point of the Fremen is that they are an insanely parsimonious, hyper-utilitarian culture forced to live an incredibly ascetic existence in order to survive on the least-habitable habitable planet in the entire galaxy. The problem is that it seems like they've designed the rest of the movie so as not to conflict with the design of the still-suits, when the whole idea behind the stillsuits is that they are an aberrant alien accommodation to the stark world of Arrakis.

The Landsraad Houses live in absurd Kleptocratic hyper-luxury, even the relatively minimalist Atreides. They're supposed to be a pointed contrast to the Fremen, not look only slightly different.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 7, 2020

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Yes thank you for coming, my son's birthday party is that way.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don’t really understand why Dune should look like an acid trip at all. The descriptions in the book are fairly grounded and kind of brutalist? Are people just really wanting the Jodorowsky take? His movie sounded cool but had nothing to do with the novel.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bugblatter posted:

I don’t really understand why Dune should look like an acid trip at all. The descriptions in the book are fairly grounded and kind of brutalist? Are people just really wanting the Jodorowsky take? His movie sounded cool but had nothing to do with the novel.

its a universe where the closest helicopter analogue is a plane that flaps its wings like a loving bird, there isn't gently caress-all in Dune that's supposed to be grounded or familiar.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

its a universe where the closest helicopter analogue is a plane that flaps its wings like a loving bird, there isn't gently caress-all in Dune that's supposed to be grounded or familiar.

The descriptions of the buildings and armors in the book are fairly sparse but tend to lean toward brutalist aesthetics. Paul's palace, one of the few vividly described spaces, especially. If we were meant to be imagining more bombastic visuals while reading the novel, Herbert sure didn't put any effort into indicating that. Elements like the ornithopters are weird, but not in an acid trip fashion. They do actually flap in Denis' version, in a way that fits with the rest of the aesthetic.

I don't know, what I'm seeing from Denis' matches what I saw in my minds-eye whenever I read the books.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Dune is irrevocably a merger of the book and Lynch's movie in most fan's minds. Things like the Baron literally floating or the general weirdness just feel so right. Coupled with the bat poo poo insane Jodorowsky stuff, and the next five book getting steadily stranger, it's pretty reasonable that Dune has become much more colourful than Herbert originally wrote.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Agreed. The story doesn't lend itself to any type of architecture or anything, it's supposed to be weird, loose and groovy. After all, it's been translated into so many languages, trying to say any one style fits it is a bit unimaginative imo. Pinning it down with begats is a good way to get into GOT territory.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The first scenes on Arrakis are about how the wood beams that hold up the ceiling are probably imports, the finer points of interior decorating re: heirloom paintings and taxidermy (packed in crumpled paper and wrapped in twine), setting their watches to the local time, and the fact that there will be a lot of official paperwork to do.

Frank didn't really describe anything in great detail, but many of the concrete "worldbuilding" details given do make things sound relatively mundane. The jets can flap their wings, but are still piloted with hydraulic controls, a throttle, an illuminated instrument panel. The conference room has a hologram projector, but people in the back still have to stand up to get a clearer look.

This extends to their clothing - Paul wears a "semiformal jacket" with a breast pocket. Lady Fenring wears a plain beige gown. Feyd wears a tunic and bellbottoms. Lots of robes and dresses, many of them plain. Of course there's plenty of ways to execute even the simplest fashion staples, but the impression isn't particularly otherworldly. What we've seen of the costuming so far is basically spot on.

The (visual) weirdness some people are craving is going to come (rightly) from the Harkonnens and the Imperial court, if at all. See the leaked footage of the Baron emerging form some sort of bath, and the weirdly pale Rabban. I imagine the Emperor and his court will be more ornate and baroque than what we've seen so far.

Bug Squash posted:

Dune is irrevocably a merger of the book and Lynch's movie in most fan's minds. Things like the Baron literally floating or the general weirdness just feel so right. Coupled with the bat poo poo insane Jodorowsky stuff, and the next five book getting steadily stranger, it's pretty reasonable that Dune has become much more colourful than Herbert originally wrote.

Yeah, this is definitely where people are coming from, and I get it, but what we've seen from Denis is much closer to what I imagined when I read the novel. I'd done several re-reads (and gone through the sequels) before I saw the Lynch film, so its look never really colored my interpretation of the original.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 7, 2020

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

One of the cool things about Dune IMO is that it IS relatively mundane - to a point. It keeps gradually introducing weird poo poo like the Gom Jabbar and the guild navigators and sandworms on the edges, deliberately making you go what the HELL is this poo poo. It starts out as a sci-fi feudal fairytale but then gradually evolves into an insane drug-fuelled messiah complex, and that process wouldn't work if everything looked like Psygnosis box art from the get-go.

I remember writing an essay on the book when I was like 18 and in order to convey what it actually was I lent my teacher the Lynch movie on VHS. She loved Twin Peaks and so was pleasantly surprised at first, but had to stop at around the halfway point because it just got too fuckin weird for her.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I feel like the stillsuits and the Fremen look fine, but the point of the Fremen is that they are an insanely parsimonious, hyper-utilitarian culture forced to live an incredibly ascetic existence in order to survive on the least-habitable habitable planet in the entire galaxy. The problem is that it seems like they've designed the rest of the movie so as not to conflict with the design of the still-suits, when the whole idea behind the stillsuits is that they are an aberrant alien accommodation to the stark world of Arrakis.

The Landsraad Houses live in absurd Kleptocratic hyper-luxury, even the relatively minimalist Atreides. They're supposed to be a pointed contrast to the Fremen, not look only slightly different.

The sietchs are pretty swanky inside - Jessica remarks that Fremen live better in sietches than people in towns. It's part of the weird Fremen focus and drive - they don't really need to go all hyper-utilitarian, sietches are pretty much self contained, they could just chill in there. But they do it anyway, because they all believe so deeply in a green Arrakis.

Also I imagine they love rugs so much because its a hobby you can do without using loads of water.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I always got the impression that, outside of the Harkonnen and maybe the Imperial court, the Dune universe was in more of a long period of stagnation rather than the decadence of incipient collapse. In that sense, a relatively subdued aesthetic makes sense.

This is completely separate from my desire for weird sci-fi aesthetics for their own sake, of course.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The ornithopters' wings are articulated, but they don't flap to generate lift. They can just be adjusted into different configurations for different situations and needs. It's like a more complex version of the swing wing designs on some supersonic fighters and bombers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

The ornithopters' wings are articulated, but they don't flap to generate lift. They can just be adjusted into different configurations for different situations and needs. It's like a more complex version of the swing wing designs on some supersonic fighters and bombers.

The book specifically mentions Paul and other pilots adjusting the speed of the flapping in a few points though?