Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

It's Ironman Random time and I have ended up in AFRICAN THUNDERDOME where I'm a shy sadistic rear end in a top hat and my wife commands my armies because she's the best warrior out there...

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nothing like dying and finding out your heir has -100 relation with pretty much your entire realm because he's apparently a very incompetent assassin.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Crashed the game as the Roman Emperor creating too many duchies while paused. Also you lose the Varangian Guard (now mercs you have to fully pay for) when you go full Roman.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

MikeC posted:

Can you "pre-seed" your main heir by dropping them the best titles as you wander into old age? IE, you literally hand them the best duchy when you are like 70 or so and then and the lovely remaining duchy and have your kids split that up instead?

You can't give titles to your heir that they weren't going to inherit anyway.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's been interesting seeing screenshots of the Pope walking around with megaca$h because in my game he spent so much money on constant wars, included repeated failed crusades on Jerusalm, that he ran completely out of money and entered a death spiral. He lost his final county (somewhere in Germany) in the 1060s. Catholicism doesn't have a head of religion now.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Randarkman posted:

I'm pretty sure it either costs more than 75 or the cost goes up each time you do it. Because I did it a couple of times in one of my first runs, and I definitely remember it being more of a trade-off than just losing 75.
yeah. I believe it's 150 for each disinheritance? And you accumulate maybe 500-1000 renown for dynasty upgrades every generation. so it's a trade-off.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

If you're a king and you grant a duchy, is there ever a way to revoke it? My vassal committed a crime allowing me to revoke without tyranny, but I could only take one of his counties and not the duchy. Then (after I banished him) his son (who inherited the duchy) wouldn't pay me taxes because I wasn't supposed to be his vassal?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The constant revolts in southern Iberia are a huge pain in the rear end. Converting them takes about one lifetime per county (30-35 years) and I have like 15 of them. Like clockwork, every couple of years they rise up with their 3 to 4 levy-only armies of 4k guys each that I utterly crush with my quality armies full of men at arms, knights and good generals.

But they never learn. 2 years later? Let's revolt once again! I'm honestly think I'm done with this, I own almost all of Iberia now except some costal mediterranean areas that were sniped by France while I was busy consolidating my realm after the first couple of successions; they sniped just enough that I can't form the empire of hispania until I can attack the last huuuuuge muslim power holding land there which will take a good long while. There's not much else to do except waiting for a chance to pounce on the French king for his holdings there, go on yet another war with infidels and get yet more rebellious provinces (if I can manage to defeat them).

Also it's funny that there's so many naked people around, the wife of my first character up and left to rule a barony in the middle of Germany for some reason, then converted to Catharism and went nudist too. Not sure why, her religion wasn't adamitic or primitive naturalist, and she was not a lunatic. She kept popping kids for me anyway so who cares if she likes to rule her backwater castle in her birthday suit.

Oh and a tiny outbreak of the bubonic plague erupted around 1150 in my realm, severely culling the family tree (which ain't so bad, I had way too many siblings and the one guy that survived it was actually one of the best and it's my current character)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I keep getting my rear end kicked in wars. Before I start a war, ill check and see if the opposing army is inferior, which it usually is. Then they'll suddenly bring a murder stack out of nowhere and bulldoze me? What gives?

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

buglord posted:

I keep getting my rear end kicked in wars. Before I start a war, ill check and see if the opposing army is inferior, which it usually is. Then they'll suddenly bring a murder stack out of nowhere and bulldoze me? What gives?

Allies joining the war?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

King Failson the Incompetent of Ireland has died, leaving the kingdom in the much more capable hands of his son and also future king of Scotland thanks to Failson marrying the queen shortly before his death, a three year-old child.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

Jeza posted:

Enjoying the perk system, it adds cool layers to doing stuff, but honestly I also find it frustratingly slow. Experience gain could probably stand to be even twice as fast. As it is, you're only likely to max out two trees in a life. Or I wouldn't be opposed to being able to pass on a few perk points in your specced trees to your heir instead, maybe tied to your learning stat.

i actually thought it's the opposite i almost always fill out all three trees and have points just sitting there doing nothing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Broken Cog posted:

I'm assuming this is because of Elective? Maybe specifically the Scandinavian Elective inheritance law?

The reason that law gives you some random county in the middle of nowhere, is that the law is only for the highest titile, nothing else. All your other titles, duchies, counties, are still levied up between your children.
The best way to use this method is to make your heir someone that is already landed.

But this is the thing, I made all of my titles Scandi Elective. Right down to my dukedom. But I still can't inherit my goddamn county.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I gotta say, even though I'm still a major newb, I feel like they did an excellent job making all the lifestyle paths surprisingly great in very different ways. I've been starting new rulers going through each lifestyle type one at a time to see how they all compare. The last one was Learning. I've gone from a Count who takes a 35 stress hit literally every time he talks to anyone, to a king. Eventually you're swimming in piety, 100% opinion with every clergy in the religion including the Pope, you can frequently ask them to drop 100 gold on you, can easily afford to declare holy wars on whole dutchies, and learn a skill that lets you buy pressed claims... with piety. Just buy em, instantly! Whenever you want! Once that ball was rolling, my Count basically swallowed his liege's entire kingdom whole within his own lifetime.

I was not interested in playing as a Religion/Learning leader at all, but it's been my most successful run so far.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 7, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hot tip: If you're playing as a faction with concubines, for some free stress relief, knock up a courtier with a seduce scheme, then make them a concubine after it has started showing. It gives you a bunch of free stress reduction.

Side effect: You might end up with a kid.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the trees are really cool but i feel like some options are a bit too strong, the health focused learning tree where you also learn when you will die is enough to really reliably get every ruler to 70 and then also cheese the inheritance. the stewardship trees are really really strong and i feel like the levy stuff should be in one of the military trees even though i understand the reasoning for putting them where they are. but giving you levy bonuses as well as a giant income within one or two trees is a lot of power.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

cohsae posted:

If you're a king and you grant a duchy, is there ever a way to revoke it? My vassal committed a crime allowing me to revoke without tyranny, but I could only take one of his counties and not the duchy. Then (after I banished him) his son (who inherited the duchy) wouldn't pay me taxes because I wasn't supposed to be his vassal?

I think the rule is you can't revoke a higher tier title if the vassal only has land inside that title. This is just based on observations (like the one you describe) I haven't seen it clearly spelled out anywhere.

All this talk about gaming gavelkind using renown, but y'all know with absolute crown authority and seniority succession you can pick who inherits for 1000 prestige? That combo is available much earlier than than -geniture options.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Fabricated secrets will actually override reality. Someone successfully makes up a lie that X child is actually Y's child and not Z's, the "real father" will actually be changed, per the debug menu. High intrigue characters are literal wizards.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

buglord posted:

Make sure you call your allies! Iirc the calculation is based on the combined force of you and your allies and them and their allies. If your allies don't come you're going to get smashed so it's very important to be strategic with alliances especially in the beginning.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 7, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

cohsae posted:

Allies joining the war?

That happened a few times but even in isolation its still happening. Is the force number what the opposing nation has at the moment, or is it their potential capacity?

This is my first real CK experience so maybe im glossing over some unspoken mechanics of the former games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you hover over the forces number it should show both the troops in the realm and allied troops.

You could always sever alliances via intrigue

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

buglord posted:

That happened a few times but even in isolation its still happening. Is the force number what the opposing nation has at the moment, or is it their potential capacity?

This is my first real CK experience so maybe im glossing over some unspoken mechanics of the former games.

Also check their gold, they can buy mercenaries.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Keep in mind alliances can be formed whenever. I attacked a neighbor with 0 allies and even before my army finished marching up the hill to his capital I got "enemy ally has joined the war" with an extra 3200 troops

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Partition is no longer a big deal to me once I figured out how to game it. Basically the game just cares that your kids have a certain numbers of titles and if you give them titles even if they aren't the ones they were set to inherit they are happy and don't take the ones you actually care about. So if a kid is set to get 3 titles on your death just do some holy war or something and hand them 3 new ones that have low control and are worthless until they get built up. They will no longer take any land you actually care about. This works with duchy and king titles too. Just make sure you have a higher tier title before you hand those out so they stay your vassal. Don't take land to have multiple kingdoms if you still have confederate partition if you aren't an empire and don't think you can reach empire rank before you die / don't have land to form multiple empires if still have confederate partition basically. Same for multiple duchies if you don't think you will live to hit king. Once you get rid of confederate partition you can basically go hog wild and don't need to worry about the game creating new titles.

Certain terms and conditions apply to weird elective inheritance systems I've not played with that and sounds like wacky stuff can happen so this method might not work.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

buglord posted:

They might be hiring mercenaries?

DeeEmTee posted:

i actually thought it's the opposite i almost always fill out all three trees and have points just sitting there doing nothing.

You can change your lifestyle focus every 5 years just so you know. If you've filled out all the perks you want on, say, Stewardship, you can swap over to a Learning lifestyle and start getting points for perks in those trees instead.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
The diplo tree is pretty nice, I have befriended almost all of my vassals and get some skill points from each new friend. Downside: when I forget to forbid my vassals from being knights they inevitably get fried in battle and my ruler is sad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xerophyte posted:

I'm Chivalrous so all the big gay bear knights are super happy to come over and marry my spinster aunts -- really, my top 3 fighters are all gay for some reason

That's strange. I was watching Arumba stream as Gotland the other day and the same thing was happening there. First his 26 Martial marshal tried to seduce the Duke, then one after another he kept catching his champions in flagrante - usually with each other. Also they all seemed to be berserkers. It was like a Norse version of the Sacred Band.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Randarkman posted:

I feel like alot of players have got it wrong regarding gavelkind/partition and looking for ways to beat it. Succession meaning civil wars with sibiling murder is really just part and parcel of the Medieval experience, especially if you're in the Islamic world.

In my case, at least, it's that I want the reverse of what Paradox wants to make - a strategy simulation with a little injected chaos instead of a chaos simulation with a little injected strategy. Old CK2 turns into a snowball slog you quit playing 500 years in, but hiding that by making your realm constantly break doesn't really fix it for me.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

DeeEmTee posted:

Are you just filling in your specialty area? Obviously that can happen if you have +3/40%, start young, die old and continue in the same three trees. But there's not a great deal of point in filling up all the trees in Stewardship or Learning etc. Are you aware you can swap your focus to your other trees outside your specialty? Even if XP gain is somewhat slower, there is almost no question that it's better to mix and match. There's a lot of redundancy in just whole hogging one skill area.

People can feel free to disagree, but perks and end-tree traits are infinitely more relevant the younger you are. I inherited my current character at 38, 1-2 points away from completing Administrator tree. If I'm lucky, I can finish that and maybe one more by the time I die. What use is there in Architect if I get it 3 years before I die? Or swapping to Patriarch? Want to be able to make friends for fun? That's a minimum 10 year diversion because of the focus cooldown.

I definitely would prefer either faster leveling or some system that can grant you a smattering of perk points, like it being based on the stats you have when you come of age. Like 0 Martial Perks if you have sub 8, but up to 3 if you have like 20+

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

TorakFade posted:

The constant revolts in southern Iberia are a huge pain in the rear end. Converting them takes about one lifetime per county (30-35 years) and I have like 15 of them. Like clockwork, every couple of years they rise up with their 3 to 4 levy-only armies of 4k guys each that I utterly crush with my quality armies full of men at arms, knights and good generals.

My strat after I realized how long they take to convvert passively was to make sure I sieged down every holding in every war to get and hold onto any adult male prisoners of the Muslim flavor you're conquering. Once you have a freshly taken county, release one with the conditions that they are recruited and have a hook. Then you give them the county and immediately force them to convert to Catholicism with the hook. When they do, they will automatically bring the whole county with them as well.

I'd do that with all but one of the counties in a duchy, then give the last county and the duchy title to someone from my dynasty so that they are the only one I directly deal with.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

buglord posted:

check their amount of gold as well, if they have more than 100 they will probably hire some mercenaries. They are not afraid of going into massive debt just to do that. Had a war declared on me by a kingdom with 4k troops and no alliances (inferior to me) which rose to 8k shortly after the war started when they spent 900+ gold on mercs. I got fuckin destroyed

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

TorakFade posted:

Oh and a tiny outbreak of the bubonic plague erupted around 1150 in my realm, severely culling the family tree (which ain't so bad, I had way too many siblings and the one guy that survived it was actually one of the best and it's my current character)

I got the big scary "the plague has appeared" event popup when my bishop contracted it, he died fast and then it never spread a single other person in my realm as far as I could notice. He was a pretty crummy bishop that I would probably have murdered anyways. Thanks, the plague!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Arbite posted:

Crashed the game as the Roman Emperor creating too many duchies while paused. Also you lose the Varangian Guard (now mercs you have to fully pay for) when you go full Roman.

Nice. I can't brag about forcing the game to crash yet, but it locks up for half a minute when I try to view my dynasty tree. That's what I get for multiple generations of inbreeding. Every family member gets their own branch even if they are married and have the same children.

It's kind of ridiculous. I don't know why they didn't just do the classic family trees where you draw a line between the parents and a branch from that.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My game crashes all the time seems to happen at moments when something bad happens to me for some reason. Can't explain it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any way of getting courtiers out of other lords' jails other than sending them enough gold to pay their own ransom?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Apropos the dynasty screen. You can scroll side ways by zooming in/out at its edges.

It's probably an oversight that WASD still only moves the world map on the dynasty screen.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Apropos the dynasty screen. You can scroll side ways by zooming in/out at its edges.

It's probably an oversight that WASD still only moves the world map on the dynasty screen.

Middle mouse button + drag

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

cheesetriangles posted:

My game crashes all the time seems to happen at moments when something bad happens to me for some reason. Can't explain it.

I did this once and then the cloud state state got screwed up and now I have to manually copy around and load the backup every time or else the game loads into the same old one in 1180 no matter what.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I tried starting a game in 867 in ireland, conquered 2 neighboring provinces and then just keep getting destroyed by viking factions who can raise 2k+ soldiers despite owning only 2 lands? How are they doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Tamba posted:

Middle mouse button + drag

Woah, thanks! I never use the middle mouse, but now that I know it's a thing I can try to remap it.