Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It sounds like Voltron just had some weird poo poo going on from top to bottom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiFiVFxR_Q8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I could care less, if mostly because Dreamworks Voltron is really poo poo as a mecha series if nothing else, like it's pretty blatant that the crew working on the show didn't really give a poo poo about Voltron as a property and were mostly doing their own thing

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't know if this info is correct, so take this with a grain of salt, but I heard that the main reason why Voltron crashed and burned was because the head writer quit and they couldn't use the script/story that was written by that writer. So any relationship weirdness that occurs in the later seasons might be because they had to make poo poo up.

So, like seasons 4-7?

Because season 1 is practically a different show, season 2 laid the foundation for "serious cartoon drama" and then everything just went wild.

I binged the entire season in 1 month, thought it was pretty fun, but man did it have serious pacing issues.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

The_Doctor posted:

Now that’s some wishful thinking.

Keith and Hunk arguably went on a date in season eight at the carnival thing, where's the Lance and Keith date? There isn't one. Now excuse me while I go send death threats to a voice actor and his family because he won't condemn a ship I don't like.

Also the best thing to come out of Voltron is by far the people who were really into Lotor and Allura, like shipped it since the original show even, and decided that there's an entire deleted/re-edited season where Lotor and Allura get back together. There's even a website.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

So when do you think we'll get our first gay(m/m) kids show main protagonist? I think the closest we have so far is Benson in Kipo.

I'm still holding out hope that the Darkwing Duck reboot is going to be this, and the fact that The Owl House gets to have a bi lead makes it seem like there's a chance for that to happen. The original cartoon had Darkwing raising his daughter together with his live-in partner so it wouldn't be out of place for them to be gay dads in a reboot.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

amigolupus posted:

I'm still holding out hope that the Darkwing Duck reboot is going to be this, and the fact that The Owl House gets to have a bi lead makes it seem like there's a chance for that to happen. The original cartoon had Darkwing raising his daughter together with his live-in partner so it wouldn't be out of place for them to be gay dads in a reboot.
I kind of figure Drake and Launchpad will have matching pajamas and sleep in the same bed for a joke but nothing gay is going to happen

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I kind of figure Drake and Launchpad will have matching pajamas and sleep in the same bed for a joke but nothing gay is going to happen

And given the way those two are it's probably past plausible deniability and into genuinely impossible to tell territory.

Doesn't hurt that the show has really played up the idea of an unconventional, ad hoc, entirely genuine family unit, with stuff like Webby quickly slotting into place as the fourth triplet, Lena being adopted into the Sablewings and the Duck-McDuck clan seeming to take missing parents and being raised by uncles (or grandmas) as a norm. Which is a theme from the source material of course, but stands out interestingly now. Launchpad already takes on a bit of a parental/big brother role with the kids, though might be interesting to see how he handles being a direct parental figure in comparison.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I had an extremely vivid dream last night, of Xanatos vs. 1990s Ninja Turtles.

They are both captured by a third party, possibly Baxter Stockman, and are kept in separate cages. Something Bad is about to happen to Xanatos.

While [faceless enemy] is otherwise occupied, Xanatos takes a pill. He immediately mutates into a centaur and breaks through the cage like it was made of aluminum. At this point April O'neill, who just arrived makes some kind of exclamation like "Oh, Wow!"

[Faceless enemy] flees and a big metal door comes down behind him.

Xanatos begins to saunter out when suddenly he stops, clearly in pain. He begins to gain even more muscle, like, a grotesque amount. April frees the Ninja Turtles.

Xanatos continues mutating, but now it's like The Thing, or the T-1000 when it's in the molten steel. The turtles grab a stretcher and leave with him, the rate of mutation accelerating, different forms briefly appearing out of the mass and just as soon being sucked back in.

[Cut to hallway]

The turtles are delivering Xanatos to some orderlies and a Mercy Graves analogue. Owen doesn't appear in this crossover for some reason.

The turtles say something sympathetic and leave. As the episode fades out, Xanatos' mutation slows down and starts to look vaguely Ninja Turtle-y.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think Xanatos could score with April, even as a rapidly mutating Akira abomination.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It would only help his chances with Irma.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Beachcomber posted:

As the episode fades out, Xanatos' mutation slows down and starts to look vaguely Ninja Turtle-y.

Does he do that "ah, this all works out for my Master Plan" thing while it happens?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Funky Valentine posted:

Does he do that "ah, this all works out for my Master Plan" thing while it happens?

No, he's still in too much pain when it says To Be Continued.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When you say 1990s Ninja Turtles, do you mean the creepy live action ones or the weird later part of the original show where the Shredder and Krang were replaced by other villains and there was like some kind of cyberpunk resistance thing and it was all really weird and nobody ever talks about.

I actually haven't seen much of the original show aside from some episodes back in the wild west days of Youtube, but that theme song still gets stuck in my head every time they come up. I guess it had to do its best to make some kind of rhythm to the title to make it not seem like the ridiculous joke that it was.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/OmyChan2/status/1300865708390309888

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SlothfulCobra posted:

When you say 1990s Ninja Turtles

OG cartoon turtles.

I'd think Luz would be in a tux, but whatever makes her happy.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 8, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

OG cartoon turtles.

I'd think Luz would be in a tux, but whatever makes her happy.

Maybe the bottom part of her outfit are some very nice trousers or something

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There is no way Luz doesn't get married in the otter suit.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

There is no way Luz doesn't get married in the otter suit.

Otter suits are for the bridesmaids.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Voltron had a good start but every season just became more of a clusterfuck.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

(one of) voltron's biggest problems was that keith was the Most Boring lamer (anyone else would have been a more interesting protag!!) and all the fun little moments with him and the other characters in like S1 (ex. the funny Bonding Moment line, or like the food fight) basically vanished by 6 :colbert:

imo, she-ra did that sort of reboot style a whole lot better! :)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Voltron had a good start but every season just became more of a clusterfuck.

Yeah, this.

I remember when Shiro 'died' and it spent almost all next season setting up Keith as the leader... and then undo it like 3 episodes into him completely being leader.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Booky posted:

(one of) voltron's biggest problems was that keith was the Most Boring lamer (anyone else would have been a more interesting protag!!) and all the fun little moments with him and the other characters in like S1 (ex. the funny Bonding Moment line, or like the food fight) basically vanished by 6 :colbert:

That's why I called She-Ra the reverse Voltron: it started ok and each season got better.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Booky posted:

There's a thankfully vanishing tendency with cartoons (still bad with other media) that the Stock Male Protagonist has to be the most boring person. I don't think it's even a recent one, though I think comic books have been an influence. (Where most superheroes were basically interchangeable both personality and appearance wise until you brought them together and writers and artists were maybe forced to start differentiating them) Say what you want about anime, the stock protagonist archetype being a hungry, hyperactive, cheerful idiot makes for a lot more interesting stories and funny jokes.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a thankfully vanishing tendency with cartoons (still bad with other media) that the Stock Male Protagonist has to be the most boring person. I don't think it's even a recent one, though I think comic books have been an influence. (Where most superheroes were basically interchangeable both personality and appearance wise until you brought them together and writers and artists were maybe forced to start differentiating them) Say what you want about anime, the stock protagonist archetype being a hungry, hyperactive, cheerful idiot makes for a lot more interesting stories and funny jokes.

See, I thought that was an influence from anime, where the male lead is as generic as possible in order to allow anyone think they are able to support a cast of increasingly oddball ladies who for some reason are super thirsty for captain boring.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

See, I thought that was an influence from anime, where the male lead is as generic as possible in order to allow anyone think they are able to support a cast of increasingly oddball ladies who for some reason are super thirsty for captain boring.

That's one kind of anime that's basically built around bizarrely hyper-specific pandering, but it turns out anime is a whole thing with different genres and styles and cliches, and most of the actually popular stuff breaks from the mould in some way. (sometimes because it's what actually originated a subgenre which came from poorly imitating it while playing up the pandering at the expense of everything else)

Also I think people are getting mixed up with JRPG heroes, who ARE also traditionally mute planks. (though again, the ones everyone actually likes are the ones that actually show personality of some kind or another)

Mind you, I think it might actually be more of a specifically Western thing, still the holdover idea that a paragon of masculinity is someone who expresses no feelings or weakness or compromise of any kind except for violent anger, because anything else is weak, childish and effeminate.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I mean, with Joaquim dos Santos in the lead there's definitely a lot of anime influences in Voltron.

I think the main thing that got Voltron was that it was a 3 full season show crammed into a year and a half, with a middle second season cut into four.

1 13 June 10, 2016
2 13 January 20, 2017
3 7 August 4, 2017
4 6 October 13, 2017
5 6 March 2, 2018
6 7 June 15, 2018
7 13 August 10, 2018
8 13 December 14, 2018

39 episodes aired in 2018 is loving bonkers.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I dropped Voltron during Season 3 when they started it redoing the initial arc of season 1 with everybody have to learn to work together. Everything I have heard about the series afterwards has convinced me I made the right choice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It sounds it managed to combine many of the worst parts of anime and the worst parts of western action cartoons.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'd need to read up again on episode summaries to remember all my criticisms, but the overall impact i got is that the middle being 6-7 episode seasons means the status quo was changing way too often, and nothing had big lasting impact no matter how seemingly dramatic it was, like a hero's death, or a villain's death, or a timeskip, it all felt like a few episodes later it didn't matter. Then the final season stuck Adora with a very, very stupid moral dilemma that wasn't earned and its final few episodes were all just very stupid.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

MorningMoon posted:

I'd need to read up again on episode summaries to remember all my criticisms, but the overall impact i got is that the middle being 6-7 episode seasons means the status quo was changing way too often, and nothing had big lasting impact no matter how seemingly dramatic it was, like a hero's death, or a villain's death, or a timeskip, it all felt like a few episodes later it didn't matter. Then the final season stuck Adora with a very, very stupid moral dilemma that wasn't earned and its final few episodes were all just very stupid.

the 6-7 episode seasons weren't written/produced as such; they were written/produced as 13 episode seasons that got split in release; Voltron was actually written/produced as 6 seasons (seasons 3-4 actually being season 3, seasons 5-6 actually being season 4, season 7 actually being season 5, and season 8 actually being season 6), while She-Ra was written/produced as 4 seasons (seasons 2-3 actually being season 2, season 4 actually being season 3, and season 5 actually being season 4)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I just found out about this thing;

https://twitter.com/NCLuke1024/status/1303816352990363648?s=20

And this one;

https://twitter.com/DampOwlTweet/status/1303848886214287361?s=20

And this;

https://twitter.com/Darine555/status/1303884634556641282?s=20

There must be something in the water over at Disney...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

...that's a different Adora from She-Ra, I'm presuming. Though She-Ra was definitely something nobody thought would be coming back. (Also figured She-Ra has a similar issue to a lesser extent; the show can't seem to decide on the tone and how seriously it's taking things, Myrmista reacts to her kingdom being brutally conquered like she's been dumped, complete with gorging on ice cream)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh yeah my bad, it's Allura in voltron. The 80s had dumb names.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

the 6-7 episode seasons weren't written/produced as such; they were written/produced as 13 episode seasons that got split in release; Voltron was actually written/produced as 6 seasons (seasons 3-4 actually being season 3, seasons 5-6 actually being season 4, season 7 actually being season 5, and season 8 actually being season 6), while She-Ra was written/produced as 4 seasons (seasons 2-3 actually being season 2, season 4 actually being season 3, and season 5 actually being season 4)

That makes sense. I really gotta refresh my memory of how things actually went down

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, if you haven't seen it I would actually recommend checking out the original Golion (aka: the one shot series that the first Voltron was a heavily edited dub of) on Crunchyroll. By 80's anime standards its actually surprisingly good/story driven (it can also be pretty drat violent/dark at times as well).

I've never actually seen any of the Western made Voltron shows though. Are any of them any good?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 10, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, if you haven't seen it I would actually recommend checking out the original Golion (aka: the one shot series that the first Voltron was a heavily edited dub of) on Crunchyroll. By 80's anime standards its actually surprisingly good/story driven (it can also be pretty drat violent/dark at times as well).

I've never actually seen any of the Western made Voltron shows though. Are any of them any good?

Voltron Defender of the Universe: Dated as all hell. Frankly not very good but hilarious at times because of the blatant censorship and all the times they just go gently caress it and let things like death slide anyway. Has some good lines and Zarkon's is so Saturday Morning Cartoon villain it's amazing.

Vehicle Voltron: Boring like you wouldn't believe. It has one really good character in Hazar who's basically the best character in old Voltron. Also there's an episode where a deer beats a Robeast. That was sure a thing. And also background dick that couldn't be seen on old TVs.

Lion Force Season 2: Animation errors to an absurd degree. Pidge is literally never colored correctly outside of reused footage. Actually more consistent storywise than the previous seasons despite everything. Had an episode pulled for animation so terrible characters changing outfits between talking frames was the least of its problems.

The Third Dimension: The 3D is ugly as sin and the fights are floaty and nearly always in flight and Stealth Voltron is an abomination but dammit this season's got heart. The voice actors are all doing their best work, the fights are great and brutal and Tim Curry is 1000% Tim Curry as Lotor.

Voltron Force: Nothing makes sense. The voice work is all lousy. The stories are dumb. Despite at a glance looking good something of the way it animates is just terrible. The Voltron switching trick is great but ugh...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1304124681944027137

Final season :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

makes sense. it didn't seem like a story that was meant to be super long, the season 2 finale basically sets up a final conflict

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Especially since Kipo can turn into a jaguar the size of an office building as of the end of season 2. Hard to keep writing a story around that particular trump card.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Given Netflix's track record, I'm just glad it's getting an ending at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

drrockso20 posted:

There must be something in the water over at Disney...

Tale as old as time...
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-rescuers-topless/
Technically :nws:, everyone at Disney apparently has moments where they get cheeky. Though the Lion King spelling S-E-X isn't entirely true.