Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Karloff posted:

Some of the 1999 film had a kid-friendly gruesomeness that was quite appealing, the best parts were when he was stumbling around like a living EC comics character.

I love how poised and controlled Cushing is as the lead in the Hammer Mummy, and as Van Helsing for that matter. There's a specific kind of refined energy to the way Cushing holds himself that is so unbelievabley charismatic, I can't think of another actor who quite has that.

Michael Moriarty had that vibe as Ben Stone for the short time he played the character on law and order. Not nearly as powerful as Cushing, but in the same vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
When Cushing was in his prime he had really good physicality too, so that energy he walked around with in every scene feels like a coiled spring ready to go off. He really was the perfect Van Helsing because of course he knocks the intellectual aspect of it out of the park but then you totally buy that he could sword fight a Dracula too.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
watched the Perfection and was kind of luke warm on it.

I don't think it gave the subject matter the weight it deserved. Would have enjoyed it more if it was basically any sort of torture aside from sexual assault on children. didn't really click with everything else going on. Which isn't to say I don't enjoy a good rape/revenge flick, but it seems like they shoved something like the us olympic gymnastic abuse into an overly twisty thriller script they had already written, which is to say it's more about the headfakes than the serious real world events it mirrors. I'm not against that sort of real world abuse being used in a horror movie, but I don't think this one succeeded.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Having a mini marathon of Hammer Horror , I've never watched all the Mummy films from Hammer so that's what my Labor Day is going to be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CommunityEdition posted:

You do remember how mummies were made in ancient Egypt, yes?

You do remember that none of that was done to the animated mummies in the movies, yes? They're specifically buried alive.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

we were talking about a hypothetical NEW gory mummy movie not one of the old ones. stop being lame.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There is a kind of gory Mummy movie but it's a short in Tales from the Darkside movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea like what if the Mummy just ripped people limb from limb. I could see that being pretty cool. I feel the same way about Bigfoot, someone needs to put like 30 million into making a really violent Bigfoot movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm Thinking of Ending Things really carries some Eraserhead vibes, and feels like what if David Lynch made a Netflix movie. It's really good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I couldn't get a hold of the 4th Hammer Horror Blood from the Mummy's Tomb so I continue my Hammer Horror Labor Day Weekend with Quarter Mass and the Pit . Such a good film.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm Thinking of Ending Things really carries some Eraserhead vibes, and feels like what if David Lynch made a Netflix movie. It's really good.

I enjoyed it but had no idea it had been at least partially billed as a horror film until after I'd finished it

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

Yea like what if the Mummy just ripped people limb from limb.

That’s Prometheus, the best of the mummy movies.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Yea like what if the Mummy just ripped people limb from limb. I could see that being pretty cool. I feel the same way about Bigfoot, someone needs to put like 30 million into making a really violent Bigfoot movie.

this would be so badass. It's a shame there's not more Bigfoot movies, I think it'd be so cool. Most bigfoot movies are just found-footage blair witch rip offs with 10 seconds of a burry bigfoot at the end.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I want to say there was in fact a decent budget big foot movie in the past 5 years that featured some gore, but I can't recall the name of it .

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

I want to say there was in fact a decent budget big foot movie in the past 5 years that featured some gore, but I can't recall the name of it .

I remember Willow Creek being pretty solid, but it's been 7 years since I saw it.

Kvlt! posted:

this would be so badass. It's a shame there's not more Bigfoot movies, I think it'd be so cool. Most bigfoot movies are just found-footage blair witch rip offs with 10 seconds of a burry bigfoot at the end.

Lol whoops called out

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A good mummy horror novel is The Third Grave (1981). The plot is predictable but it builds up a decent spooky atmosphere and the main villain is fantastically villainous. It feels like a novelization of a Hammer film. It's also retro enough in its sensibilities that until someone mentioned a jukebox playing Tom Cruise I was sure it was set in the late 1940s to early 50s and that was only because someone had already mentioned The War and Churchill before that part I thought it was set in the 1910s.

It's about an Egyptologist who is recruited by an eccentric but wealthy occultist to decipher some hieroglyphics that might contain the secrets of eternal life.

or at least mummy adjacent since although there are a couple mummies in the novel none of them are reanimated.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 7, 2020

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've just been on the hunt for the Romero '... of the dead' series on blu ray, night/dawn/day, etc.

Am i right in thinking there isn't actually a single collection of them all yet? I can't seem to find anything on Amazon.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Hollismason posted:

I couldn't get a hold of the 4th Hammer Horror Blood from the Mummy's Tomb so I continue my Hammer Horror Labor Day Weekend with Quarter Mass and the Pit . Such a good film.

Quartermass trilogy is fantastic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It really is. I am going to see if I can get ahold of and watch the other 2 Quatermass films. If not that I'll have to find something else.

Also its Quater not Quarter. I make that mistake all the time my brain is always like QUARTER, but its not.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

doctorthefonz posted:

I enjoyed it but had no idea it had been at least partially billed as a horror film until after I'd finished it
It's definitely pure horror for me. I think the (Major spoiler--but also not) trans reading of the story really pushes home for me the horror element. Masculinity and discomfort with a masculine body is presented so grotesquely that it was super disturbing to me and resonated deeply. But I'm caring a lot into it, I think it's easy to see Jake as only wanting to have the young woman, which he does. But I think there is definitely a level in which he wants to be her.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 7, 2020

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

doctorthefonz posted:

The novel it is based on is more clearly horror, but most of the creepy/scary stuff was either toned down or left out of the film entirely. The story is essentially the same though.

And I really liked it, it’s one of my favorite movies of the year so far.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kin posted:

I've just been on the hunt for the Romero '... of the dead' series on blu ray, night/dawn/day, etc.

Am i right in thinking there isn't actually a single collection of them all yet? I can't seem to find anything on Amazon.

No, there’s some horrible rights issue with Dawn. There was some cash-money BR set announced for it a while back. The best NotLD version is from Criterion and I don’t know they would license it out for some bundle.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's definitely pure horror for me. I think the (Major spoiler--but also not because it's a bit oblique) trans reading of the story really pushes home for me the horror element. Masculinity and discomfort with a masculine body is presented so grotesquely that it was super disturbing to me and resonated deeply. But I'm caring a lot into it, I think it's easy to see Jake as only wanting to have the young woman, which he does. But I think there is definitely a level in which he wants to be her.

That’s an interesting reading, when I rewatch it I’ll keep it in mind. I’m not sure it totally fits, but I’m probably biased because the ending of the book spells everything out pretty clearly so I went in with that interpretation already in mind.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Richard Rubinstein owns the rights to Dawn of the Dead and is a total shithead which is the reason why no Dawn of the Dead restoration from Criterion from the way I understand it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is one hell of a trip. I read that Colin Farrel felt nauseated after reading the script and I totally get that. The whole movie just feels wrong.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kin posted:

Night: https://www.criterion.com/films/29331-night-of-the-living-dead

Dawn: https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/dawn-of-the-dead-limited-edition-4k-ultra-hd-box-set/12590568.html

Day: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/day-of-the-dead-collector-s-edition?product_id=3070

These are your options. There was a Region A Dawn of the Dead Blu-ray back when the format started but I don’t think it’s in print anymore. So the Region B UHD set coming out next month is the next best option.

Region A, Dawn: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dawn-of-th...nEAAOSwmAJfLmZJ

dorium fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 7, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hollismason posted:

It really is. I am going to see if I can get ahold of and watch the other 2 Quatermass films. If not that I'll have to find something else.

Also its Quater not Quarter. I make that mistake all the time my brain is always like QUARTER, but its not.

The Stone Tape is also very good, written by Nigel Kneale of the Quatermass movies and thematically pretty similar, if kind of understated thanks to a 70s bbc budget.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stone_Tape

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Richard Rubinstein owns the rights to Dawn of the Dead and is a total shithead which is the reason why no Dawn of the Dead restoration from Criterion from the way I understand it.

Wasn’t he trying to convert it to 3-D, too? Like, of all the movies that could benefit from a 3-D conversion, Dawn wouldn’t even crack the top 300, imo.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Alhazred posted:

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is one hell of a trip. I read that Colin Farrel felt nauseated after reading the script and I totally get that. The whole movie just feels wrong.

I will never look at a plate of spaghetti the same after that film.

Lanthimos is one of the few directors alive who can show you a series of lights and sounds and fully mimic the effect of having a stroke.

Check out his other stuff, Sacred Deer is pretty tame compared to Dogtooth- one of the few films I can't finish. The Lobster is just it's own thing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you can sexually harass me online thru multiple probates but cant finish dogtooth lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

you can sexually harass me online thru multiple probates but cant finish dogtooth lmao

So your solution towards abuse (which has already been addressed and handled by the mod of this thread) is more unprovoked verbal abuse? Can you please knock it the gently caress off? You claim you’re an adult then continue with these juvenile antics. It’s long past the point of old and tired.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

So your solution towards abuse (which has already been addressed and handled by the mod of this thread) is more unprovoked verbal abuse? Can you please knock it the gently caress off? You claim you’re an adult then continue with these juvenile antics. It’s long past the point of old and tired.

e: not even worth it. You're a tool.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 7, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

e: not even worth it

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Hollismason posted:

The closest I'm aware of was Primal Rage: Bigfoot Reborn but calling it a decent budget is only really true by comparison to other bigfoot movies.

e: apparently at some point between when I saw it and whatever passed for wider release the name changed to Primal Rage: The Legend of Konga

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 7, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: Bad Taste vs The Devil's Backbone, MONDAY TONIGHT on the CineD Discord :spooky:

Starting 1930 EST

:spooky: Rebecca and Special Effects, TUESDAY on the CineD Discord :spooky:

Starting 1900 EST

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hollismason posted:

There is a kind of gory Mummy movie but it's a short in Tales from the Darkside movie.

That is the worst mummy costume in cinema.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I gave Death Proof a spin last night and a peculiar thing happened, my horror hog fell asleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj3zkazLvbk

Is it possible for a film to be ruined by too much male gaze? Incredibly, the answer might be yes. Being self-indulgent and obnoxious is a unique combo, one normally cancels the other out, but Quentin Tarantino has somehow found a way in what is unarguably his worst film.

I first experienced Death Proof when it was released as a double feature. It was a throwback to an era I was never a part of and I absolutely leaped like a maniac at the chance to do so. I remember being let down on my first viewing, but chalked it up to fatigue from the amazing film before. Seeing it a second time, I can see that was not the case.

As a follow-up to Planet Terror, Death Proof seemed watered down and weak. On it's own it's even worse. Films need a good reason to extent past the golden 1h 30min and this film simply doesn't have it. A solid full hour of crass, useless dialogue could be cut and it would only benefit the film. If you subtracted the foot scenes you wouldn't even have a movie, but a series of slides.

The kayfabe of being purposefully anachronistic is inconsistent, the Wizard of Oz moment was fine but the stunt work is actually impressive. Death Proof is frustrating because there's a skeleton of a good throw-back movie with some excellent technical work-but it's buried under layers and layers of vulgar crassness so thick that is actually sours one a little to QT's unique brand of dialogue.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I decided to continue my marathon of Hammer films with Dracula or The Horror of Dracula. I think what I love most about this is the non stop frenetic energy of the ending. Once Helsing figures out Dracula is sleeping in the cellar and then gives chase its just non stop energy till the end.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Is Terminator a mummy movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Terminator and the Terminator series are all Mummy movies.