Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

The punchline is that the mangaka looks like the ugly guy in a hentai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

PoptartsNinja posted:

So how long until Snout's new mommy saves him?

Yeah it’s gotta be this, Snout has such a total lack of agency that he wouldn’t even raise a hand to defend himself. He can either go up against non-threats or have third parties deal with his problems. Since we already know this guy is evil somebody’s gotta step in.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The only way to redeem snout as a character imo is to pull a classic bad anime trope and have him secretly be the vessel of an evil god or something and then his ridiculous passivity was in purpose of something like avoiding attention and letting him further something evil about Dominic or ink witches or something

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Miss posted:

The only way to redeem snout as a character imo is to pull a classic bad anime trope and have him secretly be the vessel of an evil god or something and then his ridiculous passivity was in purpose of something like avoiding attention and letting him further something evil about Dominic or ink witches or something

I mean if there were any chance of character development starting out passive and naive is fine, but it’s already been quite a while of that with no sign of change.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I just want Mookie to go full anime again is that so much to ask

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Miss posted:

I just want Mookie to go full anime again is that so much to ask

This is a Super Snout.

This is a Super Snout who has ascended past a Super Snout; or, you can just call this a Super Snout 2.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

You can't deny that would be considerably more entertaining

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Super Snout 2 and beyond is just him acquiring progressively stronger momwives to fight for him.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Look I'm not suggesting Mookie write a harem comic, but what if he wrote a harem comic

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
He basically already did. I can't think of a single character that didn't suck Dominic's Deegan at some point in the comic.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
If he had ended up changing gears more to Greg, who falls in love with like every modestly dressed woman he sees, it probably would have just become a harem series.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TheHan posted:

Feels like it’s been forever since we checked in on Snout.

Turns out you shouldn’t shove your finger in guy’s face if you can’t whoop his rear end.

Here's a question.

Does the club actually hit Snout between panels 2 and 3? (Edit: 1-2, sorry.) Because while I think that's what happened I'm not entirely sure.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 7, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Maxwell Lord posted:

Here's a question.

Does the club actually hit Snout between panels 2 and 3? Because while I think that's what happened I'm not entirely sure.

I think we're supposed to assume the club hit Snout in between panel 1 and 2. Mookie is simply incompetent and didn't draw a panel of followthrough with red vines holding the club as Snout flew backwards because he is illiterate in visual language as he is with the written word.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What mookie conveyed is that Snout dove to the floor to avoid it.

Which probably means that he meant for snout to get hit, yeah.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mookie's normally terrible with action scenes because he cannot convey motion well at all and has a poor sense of perspective. In this case... the vines on the club do actually serve as action lines. You can tell the swing is right-to-left and that snout's dodged it (and ate poo poo doing so), rather than an overhead and about to hit him.

The fact that these action lines are coming as an existing feature of the club means that this was entirely accidental, of course. The fact that it can be confusing for people even though they are there affirms that also.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
So what're the odds Terraciano was recently reading something by Junji Ito? Getting vibes from that tongue and the reveal.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

That is certainly possible. If that's the case, I think we can expect a tweet and/or blog post about it soon. Mookie tends to brag about the stuff he steals from, like it doesn't count if he says it first. A kind of "you can't fire me; I quit" attitude.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Miss posted:

Look I'm not suggesting Mookie write a harem comic, but what if he wrote a harem comic

This unlocked a memory deep within me of Dominic Deegan drowning in a sea of rear end and titties, but I can’t for the life of me remember the chapter or context.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

TheHan posted:

This unlocked a memory deep within me of Dominic Deegan drowning in a sea of rear end and titties, but I can’t for the life of me remember the chapter or context.

Weren't they all Luna because Dominic is a good guy tm?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Billy Gnosis posted:

Yep. 100% this.

Chapter 8: Vision of DOOM [Part 4]

We start of strong with dominic immediatly receiving a vision letting him know the innkeeper is in on it.

Dominic then spies on the innkeeper 10 second later, and lucklily the innkeeper, in a world where magic surveillance seems routine, immediately starts discussing his evil plan with his imp servitor.

He then hurridely goes to meet up with all his co-conspirators, so the mystery of who they are can be done away with fast.

Extremly subtle plan there Dominic. Truly a masterwork of social engineering.

It of course works immediatly.

But, in what would be a good twist if it had more buildup. Vilrath is not a scrub like his compatriots

He knows how to defend himself from creepy voyeurs like Dominic. I don't hate the magic effect, but I wish the glyph was less lazy.

Something bad threatens to happen!

Siggy, Jayden and Milov arrive in town... with Vilrath! How did that happen?

Oh ho ho, Vilrath is a wily one, he's come in posing as a hero. He knows a lot about Dominic's family too. All of this would work better if we didnt' already know he was evil, but at least Vilrath seems sneaky and clever and won't show his ha....

Never mind.

Oh Dominic, so brave. Hasn't really been characterized that way to this point, but whatever. Now starts the delicate game of cat and mouse, where both sides work to undermine each other in the eyes of their friends, a clever game of intrige that will certainly justify this extended set-u....

Nah, everybody believes Dominic and they all turn instantly on their new friend.

Vilrath however, isn't intimidated by Siggy:

Siggy is brought to a new character who will feature more as the story goes on. Nurse Pam.

Vilrath is also a necromancer.

The bartender tries to curse the main trio, but Spark intercededs.

And Vilrath commits the biggest villain fauxpas ever "We'll deal with them later, they're unimportant". Dude you're a seer, you should know this won't work out, if Dominic is any inidcation.

Just kill the drat cat Vilrath.

I actually didn't remember how quickly all the plot threads are revealed in this arc. It's just get to town, BOOM, here's your villain list, BOOM here's your motivation, BOOM here's you demonstration of villain power that won't matter at all. It's hilarious how quickly these strips move given what will happen later, like say, in Maltak.

The setup is boring and cliche, and I never realized that this arc basically paints Barthis as a cultist town. Given how central it becomes to the setting, that's pretty hilarious. But yeah, prominent figures in the town are all part of a nebulous sacrifice ritual that we aren't told the purpose of. But hey, they're such nice people, unlike Lynn's Brook.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 7, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Billy Gnosis posted:

If you want to have fun, try to see through the top layer of Lunas and then figure out what happened to the bottom layer. For example:
  • Where does Green-Panties Luna on the right keep her torso, and head, and arms? How about Green Panties Luna on the left?
  • How about White-Bra Luna's, well, everything?
  • Are Red Underwear and Black Brassiere some sort of weird conjoined twins? Because BB's left shoulder seems to be connected to RU's right thigh.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

The Little Death posted:

Yep. 100% this.

Chapter 8: Vision of DOOM [Part 4]

Never mind.

All I can see from that first panel is "Your activities are so poorly conveyed."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I need a villain who's wrathful against Dominic. Villain, wrath... yes, he will be called Vilrath.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It’s weird to know where Mookie ultimately takes Siegfried (and why) in light of that scene with him in the infirmary. It’s pretty clearly supposed to be a sympathetic moment for the audience to see him like that... And yet, we all know that he’s eventually going to retroactively take a sharp turn into “irredeemable rear end in a top hat” territory.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The third paradox brother, Vilrath.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

The third paradox brother, Vilrath.

Right time period too.

I forgot to include it in the summary but I did want to say that, at this point in the comic, I don't hate the way the blight of the undead is drawn. It's recognizably unique in the in imagery of the setting that visually, you can start recognizing it instantly. It will subsequently begin outliving it's welcome though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So many diabolical wards on being scryed, and Vilrath doesn't even use an alias.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

Cat Mattress posted:

If you want to have fun, try to see through the top layer of Lunas and then figure out what happened to the bottom layer. For example:
  • Where does Green-Panties Luna on the right keep her torso, and head, and arms? How about Green Panties Luna on the left?
  • How about White-Bra Luna's, well, everything?
  • Are Red Underwear and Black Brassiere some sort of weird conjoined twins? Because BB's left shoulder seems to be connected to RU's right thigh.

Don't forget braless black panties Luna on the right who not only is missing the necklace that the rest of the Lunas are wearing (at least the ones whose lower neck isn't obscured in some way) but whose right leg appears to merge into beige Luna's right leg, making it look like said leg is longer than the rest of her body.

There's no shortage of artistic accidents, really.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'm the white triangle near Dominic's rear end that Mookie forgot to color in.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
And of course despite all the "lower back problems" poo poo he makes the dream Lunas' breasts bigger.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Dominic even makes sure to let us know he’s a good guy who would usually feel guilty dreaming about this, cause he loves women for their brains :rolleyes:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Least he didn’t start a cult that can only communicate it’s message through sex... as far as we know, anyways.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zerilan posted:

And of course despite all the "lower back problems" poo poo he makes the dream Lunas' breasts bigger.

There's a plot reason! The dream was caused by seeing Luna in a padded push-up bra.

.... I didn't say it was a good plot reason. You shouldn't expect anything good from Dominic Deegan.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Zerilan posted:

Those Lunas are in danger!

The Little Death posted:

He knows how to defend himself from creepy voyeurs like Dominic. I don't hate the magic effect, but I wish the glyph was less lazy.
Like with all the other issues created by every conflict immediately being negated, I'm forced to ask what exactly the point of Vilrath using a scry blocker was if Dominic already knew his real name and when confronted, he immediately admits to being part of the Chosen. What's different from how things would've played out if the scrying had just worked in the first place?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Invisible Clergy posted:

Those Lunas are in danger!

Like with all the other issues created by every conflict immediately being negated, I'm forced to ask what exactly the point of Vilrath using a scry blocker was if Dominic already knew his real name and when confronted, he immediately admits to being part of the Chosen. What's different from how things would've played out if the scrying had just worked in the first place?

In theory he might have been able to suss out Vilrath's entire plan, see an obvious weakness, etc. But yeah you wonder why Vilrath even bothers.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
In order to make Dominic smarter than the room, Mookie had to make everyone else dumber than wooden planks and a bag of nails.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

My favorite Luna is the one that looks so pleased to have her sternum used as an armrest.

"Yeah Dom, baby, just jam that elbow between my boobs as hard as possible and leave it there. Getting me so hot!"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Little Death posted:

My favorite Luna is the one that looks so pleased to have her sternum used as an armrest.

"Yeah Dom, baby, just jam that elbow between my boobs as hard as possible and leave it there. Getting me so hot!"

I feel sorrier than usual for Mrs. Mookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
My favorite part of that is that half the Lunas have a different skin tone than the other half, which have the same one as Dominic. Mookie must have misplaced a marker and figured, "Eh, close enough"