Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I wonder how the game would work if inheritances weren't instantaneous, but took a while to materialize, and you could tell people to gently caress off or you could haggle about them.

For example, the king dies and his eldest son would inherit all of his titles. This would start a period whereby all of his family who stood to inherit something, ask for their dues, and you can individually decide to which degree you uphold the law. The more you deviate from how the pre-programmed inheritance would go, the more pissed off everybody becomes (your family for breaking their trust, your vassals for breaking the law, even the Pope or clergy could chime in and try to force the correct inheritance through). Depending on start date, maybe have it so a clergyman is appointed as curator of sorts and hands out the titles as appropriate over the course of a year.

This would make inheritance less of an instant clusterfuck, but would make it a back-and-forth whereby everybody jockeys to get a piece of the pie over the course of one year and maybe your ambitious nephew says he'll sweep in and take everything and maybe you can decide to just not give any land to your rear end in a top hat drunkard brother if you think you can weather the mounting disappointment for a few years.

It would also make it possible to tell everybody to chill out for a year or two if your king croaks during a war; we'll wrap up this war first and then divy up the kingdom. If people like you, they might trust you to go along with it, but if they don't, they might just declare themselves king or queen and go for all of your titles at once.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Excelzior posted:

TBH I rarely finish off the trees, the capstone perks are almost never worth investing through the garbage branch/es

Same, especially since so many of the first and second tier perks are enormously powerful.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

I wonder how the game would work if inheritances weren't instantaneous, but took a while to materialize, and you could tell people to gently caress off or you could haggle about them.

For example, the king dies and his eldest son would inherit all of his titles. This would start a period whereby all of his family who stood to inherit something, ask for their dues, and you can individually decide to which degree you uphold the law. The more you deviate from how the pre-programmed inheritance would go, the more pissed off everybody becomes (your family for breaking their trust, your vassals for breaking the law, even the Pope or clergy could chime in and try to force the correct inheritance through). Depending on start date, maybe have it so a clergyman is appointed as curator of sorts and hands out the titles as appropriate over the course of a year.

This would make inheritance less of an instant clusterfuck, but would make it a back-and-forth whereby everybody jockeys to get a piece of the pie over the course of one year and maybe your ambitious nephew says he'll sweep in and take everything and maybe you can decide to just not give any land to your rear end in a top hat drunkard brother if you think you can weather the mounting disappointment for a few years.

It would also make it possible to tell everybody to chill out for a year or two if your king croaks during a war; we'll wrap up this war first and then divy up the kingdom. If peoplel ike you, they might trust you to go along with it, but if they don't, they might just declare themselves king or queen and go for all of your titles at once.

oh boy now EVERY succession can lead to a William the Conqueror scenario :)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

It might just be that I've been very lucky but I've been having my characters take command all the time and they've never got a scratch on them (taking that first gallant perk beforehand of course). I would have thought that my current character surely would've caught an early battlefield death since she has Brave which gives +100% to the chance of dying in battle but she has lived so long that I'm getting a little antsy because I've got a genius heir lined up.

Meanwhile in CK2 I died all the time leading armies.

Commanding is definitely much less risky than it was in CK2 (although not risk-free), but being a knight is a death sentence.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It would be kinda neat if you could bribe your way to titles or just purchase them outright. Say, because the holder is broke and indebted and you've got a nice pile of gold if he'll just grant you the title. Conquer the world through commerce.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It would be kinda neat if you could bribe your way to titles or just purchase them outright. Say, because the holder is broke and indebted and you've got a nice pile of gold if he'll just grant you the title. Conquer the world through commerce.

That is more or less in the game but locked behind one of the knowledge focus trees: you can just buy claims on titles (still gotta war for them though)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
There is also an event where a vassal can ask you for money and offer you one of his counties in return.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
If you convert your religion to accepting human sacrifice - like, say, reforming Bori in the Daura start - it's a very good idea to lay in a stockpile of otherwise worthless prisoners and put them in house arrest for a longer shelf life.

On the day my new empress was crowned, she held a feast and fed a dozen foreigners of noble blood to the spirits, for instant 100 dread and 600 piety. Smoothed out the usual new ruler problems pretty well.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Commanding is definitely much less risky than it was in CK2 (although not risk-free), but being a knight is a death sentence.

Very true, those poor schmucks are lucky if they survive a few years and wind up maimed and disfigured.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Reveilled posted:

There is also an event where a vassal can ask you for money and offer you one of his counties in return.

And not even that much money, I got one for like 40g

I guess I can delay that feast for a few months

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I wonder if this game falls into some weird AI uncanny valley. Like yeah there are some times where my allies obviously don't make the right move, but two or three times this afternoon I've had them make a move I initially thought was dumb (usually not reinforcing me in a battle that I was narrowly winning) and instead went off to break a siege or catch a reinforcing stack or something that later I realized was probably a good call. And since you can narrowly win a battle and still do outsized damage to the opposing force if you have good pursuit it's not even as big of a risk. It's weird.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Reveilled posted:

going too far with this would be to sort of misunderstand the whole crux of the setting; and i hope paradox can keep their heads. land isn't owned and commodified by merchants. it's possessed and inherited by strongmen. that's what feudalism is: a system in which power and esteem and meaning is grounded in the orderly control of landed populations; in which authority over these populations is an inherited political status. land wasn't something you could exchange in the marketplace through this period. the purchase title with faith ability is pretty borderline as well.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
There's a weirdness in the comparison/relation between feudal and tribal governments. The former needs to absolutely be better, but it definitely feels like the latter takes a long time to get to the point of adopting it, particularly from the standpoint of technology. And then adopting feudalism wipes out all buildings. I'd love to see something like EU4 where the adoption of tech gets faster and faster based on your neighbors and then the buildings stay as either a basic building or it can be based on some combo of development level and the buildings you have.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
join your liege's peasant rebellions to shank the peasants. they're PATHETIC usually and you can capture the leaders, which are usually fairly swole peasant dudes that you can then press-recruit.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Can Tribals only adopt Feudal government or can you go for Clan government instead?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AnEdgelord posted:

Can Tribals only adopt Feudal government or can you go for Clan government instead?

You can go for Clan as well. Gotta be Islamic tho. Or have a Clan government liege.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Does anyone know if the bonuses from a special duchy building still apply to me if I give the county away? I have a county that I built a leisure palace in, which gives bonus prestige, stress loss, and scheme success chance to me. It says the bonuses are realm-wide instead of just for that duchy or holding, so I'd think it would still apply to me but you never know with this game. I have some more valuable counties I want instead so I was thinking of letting this one go.

What's another good duchy building besides the leisure palaces? Siege works or military academies seem like they would be good, but I always get choice paralysis on these things and have a hard time picking one.

edit: After testing, you do not keep any of the bonuses if the county isn't under your direct control. I wanted to build something new for one of my other duchies but I guess I'll build another leisure palace first since I like the bonuses from it.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 7, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/RobZacny/status/1303054566729166854

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So I accidentally created a second kingdom before I had primogeniture, and I immediately realized the mistake and destroyed the title.

Yet somehow, when I died, my second son inherited the now non-existent kingdom.

This is not how it worked in CK2, so I assume it is a bug? It is extremely annoying trying an Ironman unification run to suddenly lose half my holdings and vassals to a second kingdom; more actually since my primary title was the smaller territory.

So now I have a brother with 4 sons in a stronger Kingdom of Italy that I have to, somehow, re-absorb. Basically, if this is a bug, it is one that completely undid the first 200 years of the game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Anno posted:

I wonder if this game falls into some weird AI uncanny valley. Like yeah there are some times where my allies obviously don't make the right move, but two or three times this afternoon I've had them make a move I initially thought was dumb (usually not reinforcing me in a battle that I was narrowly winning) and instead went off to break a siege or catch a reinforcing stack or something that later I realized was probably a good call. And since you can narrowly win a battle and still do outsized damage to the opposing force if you have good pursuit it's not even as big of a risk. It's weird.

i think its a combo of genuinely better ai overall but with a couple of ck2/eu4 pathing bugs that can sometimes be a bit worse than they were before when the ai gets caught up in its decisions.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Does ironman not consistently save for anyone else or is it just me having awful luck? I've had to finish unifying Spain 3 times now :negative:

edit: Checked the folder and because it was a cloud save it's like it's not syncing right? Had to manually move the save file from the main documents folder into the save directory for it to work. RIP to the literal decades I've lost :(

Not the Messiah fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 7, 2020

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

ZombieLenin posted:

So I accidentally created a second kingdom before I had primogeniture, and I immediately realized the mistake and destroyed the title.

This is not how it worked in CK2, so I assume it is a bug? It is extremely annoying trying an Ironman unification run to suddenly lose half my holdings and vassals to a second kingdom; more actually since my primary title was the smaller territory.

So now I have a brother with 4 sons in a stronger Kingdom of Italy that I have to, somehow, re-absorb. Basically, if this is a big, it completely undid the first 200 years of the game.

Confederate partition can create titles out of whole cloth on succession if they de jure could exist. You need (non-confederate) partition for that not to happen.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

So now I have a brother with 4 sons in a stronger Kingdom of Italy that I have to, somehow, re-absorb. Basically, if this is a bug, it is one that completely undid the first 200 years of the game.

It's not a bug, confederate partition will create non-existent titles to give away upon your death, assuming you have enough land to create them. Other types of partition won't do that though.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Please, God, I'm begging you. Smite these fuckin Vikings so I can start conquering Scotland and Wales

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Hard disagree with stewardship being good as a non vassal except for a quick detour into avarice for money and hooks and discounted man at arms for being a complete dreadful bastard. The administration and architecture trees very much seem like a thing you so for when you managed to snag a strong complete duchy with primogeniture or something in the hre and want to spend a lifetime pimping your heirs ride to the imperial crown.

I mean this is basically it, I like to have a Stewardship focus ruler to either make tons of money to pass on or invest into building up the holdings big for later rulers to make use of. Seems like if you're going from tribal to feudal it's a good idea too because you'll need that money and need to build up for a bit because you get weakened quite a bit by the transition.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The silver mine in Innsbruck gives +3 gold per month at the lowest upgrade level. It is just great. Is there any other really powerful special sites out there?

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Skypie posted:

Please, God, I'm begging you. Smite these fuckin Vikings so I can start conquering Scotland and Wales

Yeah, Ireland feels like a bit of a trap to me, at least for new players. You're the big fish in a small pond until the vikings get bored with England. I've had a lot more fun with other rulers, and after playing a viking for a while you start to see why Ireland doesn't seem like a threat at all.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Minor issue but they should really rename the “b*rber” cultural group to “amazigh.” According to my amazigh friend the former term is actually considered a slur, at least where she’s from

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hryme posted:

The silver mine in Innsbruck gives +3 gold per month at the lowest upgrade level. It is just great. Is there any other really powerful special sites out there?

Oh tons. The House of Wisdom in Baghdad is phenomenal. All Holy Sites can support a Grand Temple/Mosque/Cathedral for mad dosh as well.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I drafted up a post trying to ask how to get multiple tier 3 heritable traits onto one person and then, when I read it, I realized it made me sound completely insane. Unless I'm just getting unlucky or doing it wrong it seems you need to set up like a 200 year long breeding project.

My king seduced a number of women with different tier 3 traits and produced only a few kids with tier 1 or 2 versions of those traits. Is it better to start with 2 copies of a tier 1 trait to guarantee it passes then build up to tier 3 over generations? Also, two copies of the same trait are guaranteed to pass on but how does it work if one parent has a tier 1 and the other a tier 2 - are you guaranteed to get at least the tier 1 version on a child?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is Gout a permanent affliction?

Edit: Also, I just got the White Stag event chain through hunting again, but just like last time it seems to just stop at some point. When I get the "It can't be long until I meet it now" choice, and the "Focused on the hunt" modifier, nothing more seems to happen. Anyone managed to finish this chain?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 7, 2020

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Sway them, bribe them, give them vassals or counties to keep their opinions high, give your children to them as wards or if all else fails pawn them off to other vassals so they're not your problem anymore. It's fine to have vassals with the penalty, they won't do anything so long as you keep them happy one way or another. There's no reason not to always have a Sway scheme running, it's basically free opinion. You can set your chancellor to improve vassal opinion by +10 as well if you really need to.

How do you give someone a vassal? How do you pawn a vassal off to another vassal? Can someone provide a basic example too please?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Am I dense or is there no way to change the message settings the same way you could in all other paradox games? Like pause after a siege ends and stuff like that.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

KingKapalone posted:

How do you give someone a vassal? How do you pawn a vassal off to another vassal? Can someone provide a basic example too please?

Right click their portrait -> Grant vassal. I'm not sure if it's just de jure vassals or if you can give anyone.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Seljuk empire is way too strong, pls nerf. Especially because every time I zoom out and see them stretching from Tobruk to Mogadishu to Minggam to the Urals, I hear Bill Wurtz in my head singing "it's the Seljuk turks."

Broken Cog posted:

Is Gout a permanent affliction?

My physician cured mine on the third try.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Chewbot posted:

Yeah, Ireland feels like a bit of a trap to me, at least for new players. You're the big fish in a small pond until the vikings get bored with England. I've had a lot more fun with other rulers, and after playing a viking for a while you start to see why Ireland doesn't seem like a threat at all.

I'd probably be ok if I'd chosen a later start date. But these fuckers are all cross-allied so it's difficult to pick off the smaller jarls that only have a couple counties. And I got hosed by a death before I made a kingdom and a bunch of territory splintered so I had to reclaim it from family.

Plus Alba is part of my dynasty so those counties are out for the moment. But I don't wanna have random little English counties so I'm stuck figuring out where to look next

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

As a Diplomacy-focused queen is there a good strategy to take control of a fellow kingdom (we are both vassals in the same tribal empire?)

There's always war but I would like to do this more cleanly, especially since he's being buoyed by several powerful allies outside the empire.

I know there's also intrigue but I am both too impatient and math.gif to use succession strats. I guess I could level up intrigue again to do abductions

Diplomacy there's nothing you can do to take an equal's title if they own most of the land required to hold it I believe. Usurping their Kingdom title would require holding (more?) of their de jure lands.

Your best bet is to catch them when they're not looking with a Kingdom claim and pony up the 2k+ prestige and get ready to brawl.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

You right click on the vassal you want to give stuff to and select "grant vassal" and then choose the one you want to transfer. I only do this if I'm the direct liege of a vassal that isn't a de jure part of one of my own duchies. The rightful duke will have a -25 opinion penalty for each one of these, it'll say "Desires county of x". So transferring over these vassals can give you a pretty huge opinion boost.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

guns for tits posted:

Minor issue but they should really rename the “b*rber” cultural group to “amazigh.” According to my amazigh friend the former term is actually considered a slur, at least where she’s from

It literally comes from "barbarian" in Greek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

disaster pastor posted:

Seljuk empire is way too strong, pls nerf. Especially because every time I zoom out and see them stretching from Tobruk to Mogadishu to Minggam to the Urals, I hear Bill Wurtz in my head singing "it's the Seljuk turks."

I hope your head includes the part just after where the byzantines scream in terror.

(if anyone is confused, this is from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuCn8ux2gbs
which is a lovely video about the history of the entire world I guess that single-handedly justifies the creation of youtube)