Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Boxman posted:

Holy poo poo The Boss has the best trait in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I'm at the top of Plat 2 now -- I'm so close.... I've never tasted this before...

Also big fan of both The Boss and Fortune traits

curiousCat fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 31, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've ran it down a fair bit the last few days and dropped from the brink of Plat 4 back to Gold 2. Not feeling good about my goal of hitting Plat by season's end.

E: Mort's put up a rundown of the Fates systems. XP costs per level are going up, higher cost units are getting rarer and a bunch of interesting stuff about shop and carousel RNG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kWhJEDqnlo

njsykora fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 1, 2020

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

njsykora posted:

I've ran it down a fair bit the last few days and dropped from the brink of Plat 4 back to Gold 2. Not feeling good about my goal of hitting Plat by season's end.

E: Mort's put up a rundown of the Fates systems. XP costs per level are going up, higher cost units are getting rarer and a bunch of interesting stuff about shop and carousel RNG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kWhJEDqnlo

Dark star shaco with rfc, ga and some healing is always open and is very strong.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's beautiful.

I just realized how they're going to balance Sett, and "Stronger core - Sett now does sit-ups 20% faster" is going to appear in patch notes one day.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Boxman posted:

I just realized how they're going to balance Sett, and "Stronger core - Sett now does sit-ups 20% faster" is going to appear in patch notes one day.

Yup, or alternatively "Break Time - Sett taks a few seconds to catch his breath before starting to do sit-ups."

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Played a handful of PBE games so far, thoughts:
  • three stars are definitely more common because of Chosen units- getting your Chosen 3* is key unless you're going for a 5-cost chosen
  • speaking of which, 5-cost units are tuned really strong right now. "Get a lot of 5-costs" seems to be a go-to strategy/build for good players
  • Sett is way better than he reads, because even if he gets one-shot he'll still walk it off instead of dying. I thought that his origin would be a downside, but it really isn't
  • in general, good unit > good synergies, it seems

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

njsykora posted:

Rooting for you njsykora, I know that feeling.
Bouncing up and down plat for weeks, hitting 93 lp and then losing a bunch, rinse and repeat.
But I played 8 games this weekend and went from plat 1 0 lp to diamond 3.
Feels good.

Looking forward to the new set, even though the game has never been more balanced.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I am now at G1 33LP.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I'm back down at plat 3, rip

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Sett ulting my 9 cultist Galio and oneshotting my whole team is pretty funny, but maybe not very balanced.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

uguu posted:

Sett ulting my 9 cultist Galio and oneshotting my whole team is pretty funny, but maybe not very balanced.

Sett, by his design, is a high-variance unit. If you compare him to another standout frontliner, Shen, it’s way harder to get him 2-starred, and his only trait is an almost entirely selfish one (it gives Warwick a little HP and that’s it). Shen is always going to activate Mystic and Adept, which are absolutely amazing team-wife buffs, but more subtle than Sett dunking someone. When Sett is in the perfect situation, dunking some Nunu with 99999 HP, he seems unbeatable, but he’s just as likely to CC an irrelevant target, run away till the rest of your team dies, and die halfway through casting his dunk again.

Anyway I loving love this set. Best set they’ve made yet

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

:toot:

And it was a truly reprehensible comp that got me there. Dunks for days.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

kingcobweb posted:

Sett, by his design, is a high-variance unit. If you compare him to another standout frontliner, Shen, it’s way harder to get him 2-starred, and his only trait is an almost entirely selfish one (it gives Warwick a little HP and that’s it). Shen is always going to activate Mystic and Adept, which are absolutely amazing team-wife buffs, but more subtle than Sett dunking someone. When Sett is in the perfect situation, dunking some Nunu with 99999 HP, he seems unbeatable, but he’s just as likely to CC an irrelevant target, run away till the rest of your team dies, and die halfway through casting his dunk again.

Anyway I loving love this set. Best set they’ve made yet

True, true, but maybe the Galio should be immune to his ult. To have a nine man synergy be actively detrimental because of one guy (bronze Sett btw) feels really bad.

I haven't found any teams that speak to me, like team wife, protectors or glacials, and I don't like the new five stars.

njsykora posted:

:toot:

And it was a truly reprehensible comp that got me there. Dunks for days.

Congrats man.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

TFT is big time now, we got a cinematic trailer for Fates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cM7YUmvle0

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

8 Brawler feels good as hell if you get an early 3 star Tahm Kench, because the number of things that do damage to 3 star Tahm Kench is very very small.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Does Kench's thing stop true damage?
Does Ezreal's ult stack with dazzler?

I have nowhere else to brag about this: ended diamond 2 last set!

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Fortune set takes abit to get rolling but christ a fully geared jinx with 4 sharpshooter bonus is plain obnoxious. Bouncy rocket stuns 3 people every second , glorious.

Love the gargoyle stoneplate for an option for your frontline soaker, feeling the lack of on-hit effects from items now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i havent played TFT since release does anyone have any guides that can catch me up to speed on literally just like a general way to play every game

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

uguu posted:

Does Kench's thing stop true damage?
Does Ezreal's ult stack with dazzler?

I have nowhere else to brag about this: ended diamond 2 last set!

As far as I know, yes it does. Tahm Kench's passive reduces all damage he takes by a flat amount, it's not actually resistance. So it should reduce true damage by that flat amount.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ashe seems good(again)

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I managed to come in first on my first game using a full elderwood/assassin team. I just stacked items on lulu so she'd heal and stun as much as possible while veiger and talon murdered for what it's worth

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Played my first games of Fates and literally half the people in each game were playing Cultist.

Also Mortdog's stream VODs are funny right now just to hear him in constant despair over Aphelios, that dude is getting nuked from orbit.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 17, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

njsykora posted:

Played my first games of Fates and literally half the people in each game were playing Cultist.

Also Mortdog's stream VODs are funny right now just to hear him in constant despair over Aphelios, that dude is getting nuked from orbit.

Yeah it kinda looks like if you wanna win now you either gotta go Cultist, Aphelios, or get very very lucky.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
My personal favourites are either elderwood + 1 mage(usually Nami or Dryad champ) and build on turning Veigar into a machine gun that basically one shots every who isn't gold if he hits gold.

Fortune with T2 sharpshooter and build Jinx into machine gunning rockets that splash aoe and stun people constantly.

Moonlight is pretty strong for cementing an early lead but I feel it tapers off once others start getting three star units. I gotta play with more cultists myself but Aatrox dragging my squishies out is always annoying. The most annoying thing I've had trouble working against has been Akali with IE just flying into my backlines and blowing someone up right off.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

If you get a chosen sharpshooter that’s also a brutal 6 trait. Use Jhin as your carry and grab a selection of frontliners from their other traits.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

rabidsquid posted:

i havent played TFT since release does anyone have any guides that can catch me up to speed on literally just like a general way to play every game

save gold till round 4-whatever then level to 6, roll for jhin and slap an infinity edge on em

Goast fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 18, 2020

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
you'll stall out at plat but by then you'll figure out the real meta :shrug:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

rabidsquid posted:

The two things that helped me when I started in Galaxies (after not playing since release) were watching a streamer a lot - I found SaintVicious and superjj102 to give reasonable running commentary - and, more significantly, installing a plug in. Not having to expend brain power to try to remember how to make certain items or think of broad outlines of team comps freed up room to actually notice what's open, think about positioning, and all the other stuff in the game. You'll be less creative than average, at least for a while, but I found it makes games feel less frustrating, which means you'll keep playing, and the weird builds can come later.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Had a game where it was me and 3 other guys dipping into elderwood. I'd gotten two spatula's and felt I could complete the 9 elderwood exodia dream. One on Aklai and another on Lilia. 30 minutes into the game and I couldn't find a chosen elderwood or a god forsaken Nunu. Eventually I settled on chosen assassin Akali with elderwood trait item, blue buff, and IE. Was amazing, she'd just fly into the backline then spam two nukes critting for 1k before the other side could cast anything.

Came in 3rd place unable to get T3 of the elderwood trait despite having two spatulas handed to me:argh:. Was doing well until one of the guys got a two star Sett, Sett is busted and goofy as hell. Naked with no items and he'll still wind up demolishing a guy or two. The boss indeed!

Assassins still feel pretty good if people are doing the thing stacking items onto ranged/casters. Talon with IE is a cathartic experience if you've got solid AOE going around. He'll bounce around chain killing the top DPS on the other side.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 18, 2020

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Hecarim is my boy, and he will always get a Morellonomicon.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
My 1sts so far with the new set:
  • 4 sharpshooter, 3-star Jinx carry with Shojin/Blue
  • 6 assassin, chosen Diana with Thieves Gloves. Couldn't get one infinity edge!!
  • 9 cultist + Kennen
  • 6 enlightened, somehow got 3-star of both Talon and Shen. Janna is still completely nuts, especially as a chosen; I think she's the best Chosen I've seen.

One thing I've changed from PBE is that I wasn't rerolling at all until level eight, which is way too passive; have to roll a little bit to get 2-stars of units before going to eight so I don't lose all my HP. Getting 3-star units is really really crucial this set for nearly every comp.

I got Masters last season, hoping to get even higher this season. Planning on streaming every day (hopefully posting that I am will help hold me to it). Here's my self-promotion thank you

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kench with Stoneplate is functionally invincible until the late game. It's hilarious, I watched an Aphelios and Ashe unloading into him for about 10 seconds while my Akali finished off the rest of the frontline.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Someone in the other thread pointed out that you could sell chosens for a new one, which I completely missed and was trying to wait for better chosens down the road. gently caress. I'm now buying the first Tier 1 chosen I see just to win rounds early game.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Your won't be offered any other Chosen until you see it though

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, replacing a chosen means gambling that you’re going to see someone that actually fits your comp.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Been having most success with fortune/sharpshooter setup. Fortune is nicely flexible for random traits to matchup. I like you've got Katerina there who you can load up with Mana and watch her bomb the enemy backline. While you can build jinx for dps/stuns.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I think cultist 9 is a trap unless you can get to 9 with a chosen cultist

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Picked up a Vayne chosen super early in my last game and ended up with 6 sharpshooters before the end of stage 3, that was hilarious. Had to bodge together a frontline with a solo Xin Zhou and later Shen but worked out pretty well. I feel like people are sleeping on Shen somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

curiousCat posted:

I think cultist 9 is a trap unless you can get to 9 with a chosen cultist

I managed to reach Cultist 9 once!
Galio got picked up by Sett and immediately wiped my full team, 0/10 will not do again.