Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

It literally comes from "barbarian" in Greek.

Yeah that's in part why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Lol just won a kingdom level holy war only to find out that I apparently didn't choose the right objective so instead of instead of taking a huge swathe of land I got one (1) county. cool

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

disaster pastor posted:

Seljuk empire is way too strong, pls nerf. Especially because every time I zoom out and see them stretching from Tobruk to Mogadishu to Minggam to the Urals, I hear Bill Wurtz in my head singing "it's the Seljuk turks."

My physician cured mine on the third try.

My physician decided to fight Cancer with...cannibalism. It worked.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Guys, I might've accidentally joined a crusade and enforced my beneficiary as the successor of the new kingdom, not realizing this would make him independent and no longer able to be my heir.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you win the crusade you can still play them

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Guys, I might've accidentally joined a crusade and enforced my beneficiary as the successor of the new kingdom, not realizing this would make him independent and no longer able to be my heir.

I think he'll still be your heir, it just means when you die you'll also have a second crusader kingdom.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

UrbicaMortis posted:

I think he'll still be your heir, it just means when you die you'll also have a second crusader kingdom.

Oh, that makes sense. However, I'm having trouble enough getting the empire of Scandinavia, the empire of Britannia, the kingdom of Ireland and the kingdom of the Danelaw to all go to the same heir to begin with. This next succession could get ugly...

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

Lol just won a kingdom level holy war only to find out that I apparently didn't choose the right objective so instead of instead of taking a huge swathe of land I got one (1) county. cool

I did this on a smaller scale and it really hosed up my time tables. Plus that county was on mainland Europe and was being warred for by a different ruler so I had to just cede it away instead of defending it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gobblecoque posted:

Done this enough times that I now double and triple check what I'm warring for every time.

Edit: Why can I not marry my concubines directly?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 7, 2020

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Am I missing some clever icon or keyboard shortcut or is there no way to raise specific parts of your army?

All I want is to get my men at arms, a few knights, and maybe some levies, but there doesn't seem to be any sensible way to be that selective. Individual merc units can be raised, and levies can sort of (imprecisely) be divvied up by having multiple rally points, but actually trying to raise anything other than those mercs just makes a huge pile of just about everything that I then have to go through to separate and disband the bits I don't want. And if there are any hostiles nearby, not even that option is available.

What am I missing? Or is the game that is missing that? I just want simple “raise [whatever]” buttons on the men-at-arm companies and knights. :ohdear:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So I'm a few generations into my Daurama run and finally get to reform my faith. I leave it with the equal gender doctrine it starts with because no way am I gonna be limiting myself on potential knights but apparently doing so overrides my realm's female preference succession (which is the main defining feature of that start). And I can't change it back without going feudal. So now this interesting dynasty just turned real generic.

Tippis posted:

Am I missing some clever icon or keyboard shortcut or is there no way to raise specific parts of your army?

All I want is to get my men at arms, a few knights, and maybe some levies, but there doesn't seem to be any sensible way to be that selective. Individual merc units can be raised, and levies can sort of (imprecisely) be divvied up by having multiple rally points, but actually trying to raise anything other than those mercs just makes a huge pile of just about everything that I then have to go through to separate and disband the bits I don't want. And if there are any hostiles nearby, not even that option is available.

What am I missing? Or is the game that is missing that? I just want simple “raise [whatever]” buttons on the men-at-arm companies and knights. :ohdear:

Nope. The best thing you can do is to ctrl+move order to stop the gathering order before your levies show up or after you have the levies you want.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
I've been poking around save files, and think I've found something interesting.

If your wife (or any woman) has more than one lover at the time she gets pregnant, her male virile lovers will all be listed as potential fathers for the offspring. Her husband at the time will be considered the real father, but having several potential fathers makes it possible for the event where the child's true parentage is put in doubt to pop.

The game told me one of my vassals was the father of my heir, and both debug mode and the save file listed him as her real father. I loaded an earlier save (a few years before the event popped) and at this point, neither the save nor debug mode listed him as such. I also couldn't find anything in the save indicating that he was her potential father, so I don't know where or how the game stores that information between the child being born and the event popping.

Also, it seems the game will lie to you. Even if you are the real father, it might still tell you that your best friend, Jarl Dickbag, is the kid's actual father. Figuring out who the real father is isn't easy, but traits can give you an idea, as can the DNA string. My heir had quick listed as a recessive trait, and neither her mother nor her claimed real father had it, but my character did. The DNA string (like in CK2, it decides a characters looks, but it's a lot longer with a lot more variables, for obvious reasons) seemed to support the notion that I was the real father as well, as her's had a lot more in common with my character's than her claimed real father's.

The game lying about it is actually pretty cool. If some Jarl had doinked your wife around the time she became pregnant, it makes perfect sense that he might try to use this to sow doubt about the legitimacy of a potential heir.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
I've married a group of lovely women with claims on the kingdoms of Norway and Sweden and the Byzantine Empire.

However, when I attempt to declare war to press those claims, they simply don't appear in the claims list. The Norwegian girl has a few other claims, which I can press, but the Swedish and Byzantine ladies simply return an empty drop-down menu.

What's going on?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tippis posted:

i haven't found one, enjoy the year long army raising times late game!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aschlafly posted:

I've married a group of lovely women with claims on the kingdoms of Norway and Sweden and the Byzantine Empire.

However, when I attempt to declare war to press those claims, they simply don't appear in the claims list. The Norwegian girl has a few other claims, which I can press, but the Swedish and Byzantine ladies simply return an empty drop-down menu.

What's going on?

I assume it's the same as ck2 where you can only press a women's claim if the place is in regency

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

Does anyone know if the bonuses from a special duchy building still apply to me if I give the county away? I have a county that I built a leisure palace in, which gives bonus prestige, stress loss, and scheme success chance to me. It says the bonuses are realm-wide instead of just for that duchy or holding, so I'd think it would still apply to me but you never know with this game. I have some more valuable counties I want instead so I was thinking of letting this one go.

What's another good duchy building besides the leisure palaces? Siege works or military academies seem like they would be good, but I always get choice paralysis on these things and have a hard time picking one.

Tax or levy increase is rediculous on farming terrain due to that terrain having duplicate economic or levy buildings. Building up Paris or London with those buildings too and their special buildings can basically make those duchies equivalent to a small Kingdom. Military academies or palaces are good for small, landlocked duchies since you don't get much return on %increases. The others are a little more situational and depend on what kind of army you are building.

Marches are excellent for spots that you want to be effectively uncrackable. Extremely good on mountain passes, but kind of poo poo if they are near the ocean due to how easy it is to traverse around landlocks via the sea.

The hunting reserve is baffling to me and I am not sure why you'd take that one compared to the alternatives.

Fortunately you can always replace the duchy building and take the loss if you really need to. It's way better to just use the slot for what you need most rather than leave it empty.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 8, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Scherloch posted:

If your wife (or any woman) has more than one lover at the time she gets pregnant, her male virile lovers will all be listed as potential fathers for the offspring. Her husband at the time will be considered the real father, but having several potential fathers makes it possible for the event where the child's true parentage is put in doubt to pop.

The game told me one of my vassals was the father of my heir, and both debug mode and the save file listed him as her real father. I loaded an earlier save (a few years before the event popped) and at this point, neither the save nor debug mode listed him as such. I also couldn't find anything in the save indicating that he was her potential father, so I don't know where or how the game stores that information between the child being born and the event popping.

Also, it seems the game will lie to you. Even if you are the real father, it might still tell you that your best friend, Jarl Dickbag, is the kid's actual father. Figuring out who the real father is isn't easy, but traits can give you an idea, as can the DNA string. My heir had quick listed as a recessive trait, and neither her mother nor her claimed real father had it, but my character did. The DNA string (like in CK2, it decides a characters looks, but it's a lot longer with a lot more variables, for obvious reasons) seemed to support the notion that I was the real father as well, as her's had a lot more in common with my character's than her claimed real father's.

The game lying about it is actually pretty cool. If some Jarl had doinked your wife around the time she became pregnant, it makes perfect sense that he might try to use this to sow doubt about the legitimacy of a potential heir.

Raising a litter of Giants without any Giants in your lineage ftw

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

even with high partition i still get my duchy broken up on succession and only get the capital county is that intended?

nearing the end of a ck run for the first time ever. only about 150 years to go. don't know if i will unite africa but i've been a good defender of the faith

i feel like i've got a decent handle on the social game but know next to nothing about development.
any tips on buildings and special vassal agreements?
also anyone got any good starts for a strong capital with some time to tech for my next game?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Scherloch posted:

I touched on this earlier, the intrigue "fabricate secrets" will literally change this in the debug menu.

Homosexual or asexual characters, therefor ones not actually valid as a target for seduction (by a man, anyhow) can have their child's "real father" overwritten with the intrigue options. Intrigue is literal sorcery.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

even with high partition i still get my duchy broken up on succession and only get the capital county is that intended?

Depends on what else you own, and how much.

While it is supposed to give the primary heir a significant portion of the titles, including a bunch of de jure titles, exactly what counts as “direct De Jure Titles associated with it” (what is even ‘it’ in this case?) is a bit unclear. Similar confusion seems to exist with exclave independence.

It also seems like partition is still the primary logic to be enforced, even though the description seems to suggest that other considerations such as “always inheriting at least half” the titles should rank higher. So the other kids get something, even in instances where this necessarily means the primary heir doesn't get half the titles or those undefined “direct de jure titles”. It may just be a case of the realm being too small to really let those guaranteed portions come into play.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Veryslightlymad posted:

I touched on this earlier, the intrigue "fabricate secrets" will literally change this in the debug menu.

Homosexual or asexual characters, therefor ones not actually valid as a target for seduction (by a man, anyhow) can have their child's "real father" overwritten with the intrigue options. Intrigue is literal sorcery.

There is now a mod to fix this:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2222201089&searchtext=

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If anyone want a bit of a different start, there is a single Taoist ruler in eastern Tibet at the 867 start date.
You start with a fairly decent duchy, equal laws, and your religious tenets makes converting counties a lot faster, so it doesn't matter so much that every single county in the region is a different religion.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Eej posted:

Diplomacy there's nothing you can do to take an equal's title if they own most of the land required to hold it I believe. Usurping their Kingdom title would require holding (more?) of their de jure lands.

Your best bet is to catch them when they're not looking with a Kingdom claim and pony up the 2k+ prestige and get ready to brawl.

Oh I already have the claim on the kingdom, just wondering if there's anything else I could do!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

A plot against reality itself!

Sulla
May 10, 2008
Great game so far. Feels like they managed to keep all the fun bits from CK2 and remove most of the clutter.

Are there any gameplay options / mods that fix the following?

- Doing away with exclaves completely (even removing the naval paths exception)? These Swedish colonies everywhere are getting ridiculous.

- Reducing boarding time for raiders? I mean, it's supposed to be a smash-and-grab operation, so why does it take my guys a month to get back in their boats?

- Also, some way to interrupt raiding once it's started?

- Ungroup the message notifier thing at the top? (Ok, I have 15 alerts - how many are important?)

For the first 3, the only solution I've found is to switch to the other character and grant independence to exclaves, or cancel their troops so at least my raiders have a chance to do something before they're stomped.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they didnt remove the clutter it will be back in expansions

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean they didnt remove the clutter it will be back in expansions

Quoting this post for posterity.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lawman 0 posted:

Quoting this post for posterity.

I honestly don’t know if this is for or against

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I think I've won the game: Behold!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I honestly don’t know if this is for or against

True neutral

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Arbite posted:

I think I've won the game: Behold!

Strengthen Bloodline is the most subtly overpowered decision in the whole game. :cheeky:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Do I need to give a poo poo about the level of control in my vassals' lands?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Tippis posted:

Strengthen Bloodline is the most subtly overpowered decision in the whole game. :cheeky:

Ik,r?

Also: Bull----poo poo!

***Edit***

Oh God, this poor bastard

Arbite fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 8, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Communist Walrus posted:

Honestly, yeah. Or at least if your vassals are someone you care about, like family. Low control leads to peasant rebellions, and those have a tendency to kill off vassal courtiers if they manage to win a siege.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

How bad of an idea is declaring war on the pope if you're catholic? Should I make my own religion first?

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Azhais posted:

I assume it's the same as ck2 where you can only press a women's claim if the place is in regency

This seems like the problem. I was able to press the duchy claim, as the duchy was ruled by a child at the time.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Communist Walrus posted:

It's not a huge deal but if your vassals are getting less tax and levies due to low control in their counties then that means you in turn get less tax and levies from them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I'm having some trouble with the new Dune game from Paradox. I've been fiddling around with the Bene Gesserit mechanics to let me manipulate bloodlines, but my current character just can't seem to father any kids. Is this guy just a genetic dead end?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Anyone know what the deal with development growth is? I feel like it's not explained at all, counties get it from their neighbours but the only place I can see it being generated is in Rome, because it has the modifier 'developing county'. So it's developing because it's developing. I'm tribal so I do need to get some development at some point.

e: Figured it out immediately after posting, you need to assign your steward to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
As a tribal, or at the very least as Norse, you can get development points in your capital from raiding. Sometimes you get an event that gives you a choice between some cash/prestige, or a big chunk of development progress in your capital.

Other than that, set your steward to the "develop county" task.