Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zerilan posted:

And of course despite all the "lower back problems" poo poo he makes the dream Lunas' breasts bigger.

It's a weird mix of sex negative and sex positive feminism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The effect of Vilrath's glyph has not fully seen by the viewer. I don't want to defend Mookie's writing, but the next chapter will elucidate what the glyph stopped Dominic seeing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Little Death posted:

My favorite Luna is the one that looks so pleased to have her sternum used as an armrest.

"Yeah Dom, baby, just jam that elbow between my boobs as hard as possible and leave it there. Getting me so hot!"

As a red blooded american man nothing gets me going quite like giving my wife an atomic elbow to the sternum

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tesseraction posted:

The effect of Vilrath's glyph has not fully seen by the viewer. I don't want to defend Mookie's writing, but the next chapter will elucidate what the glyph stopped Dominic seeing.

I normally don't remember poo poo about Dominic Deegan but the re-read is making memories resurface and if I'm remembering it right (Vilrath is Jacob and plotting against the chosen?) then the stuff about Vilrath more or less makes sense and is kinda cleverly set up, for how simplistic/stupid it is.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Ironslave posted:

So what're the odds Terraciano was recently reading something by Junji Ito? Getting vibes from that tongue and the reveal.

Invisible Clergy posted:

That is certainly possible. If that's the case, I think we can expect a tweet and/or blog post about it soon. Mookie tends to brag about the stuff he steals from, like it doesn't count if he says it first. A kind of "you can't fire me; I quit" attitude.

Ding ding ding

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1303002697822502916?s=19

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Has the thread discussed how Snout's passivity makes him a kind of lovely fantasy version of Forrest Gump whom things just kind of happen around more than to and never takes any direct action to accomplish any particular goal?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think we have. The only difference between him and Star Power is that she at least punches things sometimes.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I remember Mookie's blog posts underneath the latest strips would be full of "I've been reading [superhero comic] lately and felt inspired by it" as he shamelessly ripped it off. Good to know he's had about as much personal growth as one his characters.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I know its really, really petty because not everyone's got the supplies or know how to make colored artwork good and lord knows Dominc Deegan was, is and never will be well-drawn but I despise DD's color strips in particular

Just....just really pulling out the ol' crayola markers huh? Coloring them in like a 12 year old. It just looks so bad in a very distinct way from his usual fair, and its effect is only enhanced by the bad art.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The only reason he probably mentions what he's been ripping off in Star Power/Legacy is because he got called out for numerous times of ripping something off and not mentioning it in DD.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

rannum posted:

I know its really, really petty because not everyone's got the supplies or know how to make colored artwork good and lord knows Dominc Deegan was, is and never will be well-drawn but I despise DD's color strips in particular

Just....just really pulling out the ol' crayola markers huh? Coloring them in like a 12 year old. It just looks so bad in a very distinct way from his usual fair, and its effect is only enhanced by the bad art.

He's actually acknowledged how bad he is at drawing color - it's so bad he was actively harming the comic by helping Garth with color in Star Power and he had to step away from that: https://starpowercomic.com/color-blind/

This part jumps out at me in particular:

Maybe it’s because I spent much of my childhood and teenage years drawing with only black ballpoint pens in the margins of my school notebooks. Maybe it’s because my grandfather worked for a photography magazine whose annual collections featured gorgeous black-and-white photography. Maybe it’s because I discovered manga in the early-to-mid 1990s, before it broke into the mainstream, and that “different” style spoke to me in a way the American comics of the time didn’t. Or maybe it’s a combination of all those things.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's because you never took the time to learn how to draw in color properly and have just been blindly winging it this whole time?

Nah, it must be one of those other things you listed that you can't possibly do anything to overcome with time and effort.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Holy poo poo, he has to drop a humble brag about how he liked manga before it was cool (:smug:) in his insincere list of excuses for why he's bad at coloring.

10 years ago I used to think Mookie was a well-meaning bumbling idiot. But now that I'm not a teenager with 0 emotional intelligence, re-visiting his old work and seeing his self-congratulatory "how to write heroes and villains" panel, I realize the guy is just a smug douchebag.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
It's always super fascinating to me in bad-storytelling tourism like this where you can TELL what media the person consumed lately, because their story becomes a blatant "i'm daydreaming about this so i'm gonna just make my story about this now" kind of deal.

I can't count how many meandering lovely fanfics I've read where you can tell the author started playing Metro 2033 because suddenly now they're in an underground russian bunker or whatever and it's always so like, I can't get over it. There's like 0 filter between their consumption and creation. Like, it's normal to be inspired by stuff but usually you're supposed to make it vaguely transformative, tailor it to fit the thing you're doing, and if you can't fit it you don't do it, but so many people have no ability for self-reflection of their own creations and their creative outlet becomes the living proof of their wandering train-of-thought.

It sticks out to me a lot because I remember doing it myself, when I was 12, and my cringy fanfictions would meander influenced by whatever I was reading, and when I stopped being 12 I stopped doing that.

But here he is making his poor skill with coloring as a point of PRIDE, and excusing it by citing all the ways he's awesome and unique and special, so of course he's gonna just hamfist Junji Ito into things too because he read it yesterday.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

At least when I decided I HAD to do something based on Planescape I was already running a D&D campaign.

Also, I've been trying to remember this post by Tesseraction(?) making fun of Dominic's masterful Gary Stuism that ended with "Mookie is Godhead. GG guys, gg." Came at the end of an arc where all tension was diffused even faster than normal and Dominic somehow curing a man of hair loss on top of saving his life.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I also love how Vilrath's big claim here is that he'd go after Dominic's family, when each member of his family is stupidly strong with his mom being like the most powerful mage ever.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zerilan posted:

I also love how Vilrath's big claim here is that he'd go after Dominic's family, when each member of his family is stupidly strong with his mom being like the most powerful mage ever.

And also just assuming that Dominic wouldn’t magically contact them to at least give them a heads up or call for backup the literal moment he’s out of earshot.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Marin Karin posted:

Holy poo poo, he has to drop a humble brag about how he liked manga before it was cool (:smug:) in his insincere list of excuses for why he's bad at coloring.

Not only that, but manga in the US wasn't exactly a super obscure underground unknown thing in the "early-to-mid 90s", except to someone who hadn't been exposed to it yet. Mookie's solipsism does it again.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Still constantly amazed at all the ways he hasn’t changed or improved.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Has the thread discussed how Snout's passivity makes him a kind of lovely fantasy version of Forrest Gump whom things just kind of happen around more than to and never takes any direct action to accomplish any particular goal?

I think I described him as an object moving through space, but fantasy Forrest Gump might actually be what Mookie’s going for. It’s maybe the second most annoying part of the Legacy. Is Mookie afraid Snout will lose his uWu adorableness if he ever took action? The most agency Snout ever had was when he used the pagefinder to blind that monster, it was the best moment of this entire comic and he’s never come close to being that interesting since. It’s no wonder Mookie’s bored of him.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Vilrath laughs at Dominic for trying to scry on him and then says "I've been scrying on you" which makes me wonder why Dominic doesn't have a seer's glyph or whatever for himself. You'd think a seer would know most of all how useful preventing other people from watching you is.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Vilrath laughs at Dominic for trying to scry on him and then says "I've been scrying on you" which makes me wonder why Dominic doesn't have a seer's glyph or whatever for himself. You'd think a seer would know most of all how useful preventing other people from watching you is.

Well, that would just give us a chance to point out that he’s a complete and utter hypocrite for invading other people’s privacy with his magic while evidently taking issue with others doing the same to him. :v:

Then again, that could actually work as a decent opportunity for introspection that leads to him learning to set boundaries with his loved ones if the narrative actually called him out for his hypocrisy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

Still constantly amazed at all the ways he hasn’t changed or improved.

I think I described him as an object moving through space, but fantasy Forrest Gump might actually be what Mookie’s going for. It’s maybe the second most annoying part of the Legacy. Is Mookie afraid Snout will lose his uWu adorableness if he ever took action? The most agency Snout ever had was when he used the pagefinder to blind that monster, it was the best moment of this entire comic and he’s never come close to being that interesting since. It’s no wonder Mookie’s bored of him.

You're attributing far too much forethought to Mookie. He thought up the characters and the vague outline of the plot and then just heavy-handedly shoves Snout through the situations. It's why he'll spend weeks doing nothing, and then suddenly plot happens out of nowhere and gets resolved almost instantly, or explanations for past events (re: the Ink Witch) make little sense, but are accepted anyway - gotta get to the next plot point, post haste!

Snout is along for the ride not out of clever circumstance, but because Mookie has done a bad job justifying his involvement, but needs him to be there regardless.

New "playtime" pic, by the way. At this point I predict Mookie is wussing out and won't actually ever do hardcore stuff.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 8, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Actually, yeah, you’re probably right. I often forget Mookie retroactively gives meaning to his decisions to try and sound like a writer who thinks hard, rather than a doof writing things stream of consciousness style.

Oh and a new page, it ain’t work safe.

Obviously corpsemom comes to the rescue, but more importantly the necromancer is caked the gently caress up. Dude hasn’t drawn a fatter rear end in his life.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m glad we have met the new mommy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol once again our protagonist needs to do nothing

Sure, 2 seconds ago she was comatose and needed to be dragged out of the basement, but now the villain has had far too much screentime (3 whole pages!) and it's time to lose

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
The rear end was fat.

What a terrible page. I know Mookie only knows how to draw one snoutface, but corpsemommy looks exactly like inkwich in the final panel. It's really annoying.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's probably because they're all modeled (traced) off his wife.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

PoptartsNinja posted:

So how long until Snout's new mommy saves him?

TheHan posted:

Obviously corpsemom comes to the rescue, but more importantly the necromancer is caked the gently caress up. Dude hasn’t drawn a fatter rear end in his life.

2, 3 pages? Mookie is showing remarkable restraint!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

SardonicTyrant posted:

She's not dead, her boobs aren't enormous.

I'm joking but...I'm not actually sure I am.
CALLED IT

What am I doing with my life?

Also, going back to find that quote I remembered I made this joke:

SardonicTyrant posted:

You should never stare directly at a solar eclipse.

And I'm a little upset no one laughed at it.

It was a good joke!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

TheHan posted:

Actually, yeah, you’re probably right. I often forget Mookie retroactively gives meaning to his decisions to try and sound like a writer who thinks hard, rather than a doof writing things stream of consciousness style.

First thing that came to mind when I saw her face (warning, LOUD):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXamCwVTefo

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

First thing that came to mind when I saw her face (warning, LOUD):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXamCwVTefo

Maximum the Hormone's "WHERE IS YOUR MANAGER?!"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Howard Beale posted:

Not only that, but manga in the US wasn't exactly a super obscure underground unknown thing in the "early-to-mid 90s", except to someone who hadn't been exposed to it yet. Mookie's solipsism does it again.

Ehhh, I don't know about that. I definitely think it was fairly niche in its own way. During the period when it was called Japanimation and all that. I think Toonami is really when anime became popular and universal among nerd fandom in the US rather than just something for a specific subsect of nerds.
I mean even in the late 90s it was fairly hard getting a lot of anime if you didn't have a really good internet connection or a lot of money. DVDs and VHSes were expensive and poo poo.

I mean, yeah, it's a weird humblebrag and Mookie's myopia borders on genuine solipsism, but credit where it's due I think he's probably right in saying he was among the early Western fans of Anime.

I mean, big whoop, okay, who cares, but yeah. It's true for all that it matters (not at all)

EDIT: As an aside, I've always suspected that the difficulty in acquiring anime in that period is a big part of why - besides the general everything is cool when you're dumb and 13 - so many people look fondly on a lot of 90s anime that I think are grossly overrated. Sunk cost fallacy. If you just spent 60 bucks for 4 episodes of something, you're drat well sure going to convince yourself it was worth it and you didn't just get fleeced.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't know if many other places had this, but here in San Diego in the early to mid 90s we had several specialty stores that had imported all those costly VHS tapes like Ranma 1/2 and Tenchi Muyo and would rent them out for normal video store prices. So while it was still pretty niche, it wasn't INSANELY expensive. I also remember Saturday Anime on the SciFi channel predating Toonami by a few years.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I remember some exceptions, but they were very kid focused like Speed Racer or Gigantor and your parents might've grown up watching them too.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
You had bits of Japanimation here and there, and CN ran Speed Racer (or was that Nick?) and Gatchman/Battle of the Planets, plus of course you had stuff like Robotech and Samurai Pizza Cats - but like I don't think these were 'anime' the way we think of it. You didn't have the subculture growing around them and they still were more weird curiosities from the East rather than like their own sort of ~thing~.

Speed Racer was just another cartoon that happened to come from Japan and look different. It wasn't anime.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I also remember Dragonball (non-Z, and then later Z as well) and Sailor Moon being on TV in the early 90s. But it was at like 6 AM on weekdays so I wouldn't exactly call that prime time or anything.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I never really thought about how all the obscure, hyper violent OVAs that inexplicably found themselves overseas due to their dirt cheap licenses, might have influenced the amount of gore we got in Dominic Deegan.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Almost certainly. I mean people still talk fondly of Ninja Scroll. Which I think is one of the chief examples of my point about sunk cost fallacy. It's better animated than, say, Angel Cop but it's still edgy, rapey, hyperviolent schlock and people still praise it while condemning poo poo like Angel Cop. It's wild.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah all the Manga Entertainment stuff being in Blockbuster and other video rental chains was many people's early exposure to gory poo poo. I don't necessarily look back on all of them as good (although to be honest it's rare that anime that well animated is ever made these days), but they did expose me to the possibility that cartoons didn't just have to be kiddy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

SardonicTyrant posted:

You should never stare directly at a solar eclipse.

It's ok, this thread is full of uncultured swine. I do apologize for missing it though. I know the pain of unacknowledges jokes :(

This is goona be a long one

Also Mookie not being able to color isn't because he was into manga. I don't think he was either, his cribing is all from anime (see snout faces) and his comics started out looking like newspaper strips, not manga pages (which other creators did do at the time). His first drawn works on new grounds were all garishly coloured garbage too, so the idea that black and white was an aesthetic choice is bullshit.

Chapter 8: Visions of Doom [Part 5]

Spark killed the imp before he could put command runes on Dominic's things. Dominic is able to scry and see what the imp was up to.

We now see the dastardly plan of the chosen in action. Dominic is unaffected.

Luna is also unaffected :v:

Can I just pause here and say that I find it weird that two of Mookie's stories so early in the comics have involved driving people to suicide as the main plot? It's just a strange narrative device to rely on this frequently, and with other things we know about him (dead girls in bathtubs) makes me a little uncomfortable.

Dominic sets off to save the day. I can't put my finger on why, but I don't like this interaction. I don't like DOminic just being the designated hero and not reaction to the situation in any way other than that.

The villains repeat what we've all figured out

and are promptly tricked by the dumbest ruse imaginable.

Again, dominic can do whatever magic he needs to do to win. Luna is pointless.

Vilrath is acting sneaky....

Dominic is able to reverse the despair spell.

Here's the thing. I know that suspension of disbelief is a subjective thing, and that I'm coming into this reread with a base level of antipathy that I can't get rid of entirely, no matter how neutral I"m trying to be in my analysis. So maybe to a new reader, dominic having this scroll prepared, to break this powerful and very specific spell, doesn't feel too contrived or convenient. But to me it does. Especially since it's not one of the spells he offhandedly mentions here:

where it could have been foreshadowed. Technically they did bring his entire library:

But again, that's contrived and basically sets up the convention that Dominic will never not be prepared for something because he can just have access to his whole inventory all the time. And incidentally, that strip with Luna coming too, where maybe it implies that her spells will be useful, is wrong. She never casts a spell during this arc.

Dominic is weakened by the spell and is captured:

But Vilrath, suspiciously, does not vote for his immediate death:

Instead coming up with a plan to "make Dominic suffer even more"

This, admittedly, is a badass villain thing to do, and a good distraction:

I feel like maybe Dominic could have told spark to warn Milov and Jayden, or Luna and Greg, but whatever. Heroes neutalized. This actually is real peril for the first time for dominic. He's not in control.

The Chosen do their confusingly specific ritual, which apparently didn't need a sacrifice immediatly, but did need a priestess of Luana and a spellwolf present (conveniently provided by Dominic) to start. Extremly unclear on how any of this works, and personally again I find it contrived, but that could be me being overly critical.

Here's where we get the twist that some in the thread remembered.

Vilrath is missing...

But not for long. The last panel there is probably one of the better ones across all of DD. Different perspective, clearly conveyed actions, good visual storytelling, and even a genuine comic book style joke.

Vilrath reveals that he is not Vilrath! He is in fact

...drumroll......

JACOB!

Now, here is where I'm going to give Mookie genuine praise. Even rereading this strip I had forgotten that this twist happened until I got to it, and it was actually surprising and thrilling when it happened. Jacob is nicely creepy and menacing, befiting a necromancer, and his presence was nicely foreshadowed by Vilrath having necromantic powers. I'm giving Mookie the benifit of the doubt and assuming that at this point he was planning his stories more in advance, so that was genuine foreshadowing, but even if this was a late twist, it works so well that I have to give him props anyway. You can quibble as to parts of his plan that seem to require him knowing very specifically how everyone will react, in a later death note sort of way, but honestly the story turn is good enough that I'm willing to ignore those details. Again, suspension of disbelief can be very subjective, and this works for me.

THis I like too! He literally stole the glyph by stealing VIlrath's skin. very good

Here it is, the first DBZ energy beam, and this first DBZ style deflection. Jacob rescues Dominic.

and trolls him.

More messy killing ensures, and more trolling.

And then Jacob shows that he can use the powers of those he kills. This actually isn't important at all, and is explained to be temporary later. It's really unclear why that needed to happen, since it makes no permanent changes to Jacob's powers and is never used again.

This though, is great. I love this death. This is just genuinely macabre fun, and it instantly makes me like Jacob as a character.

Chapter 8: Visions of Doom [Part 6]

As does this.

Greg is traumatized, his hero has failed him.

Jacob is again great

Dominic yammers on a lot, laying out the plot, which I think is warranted because Jacob being the puppetmaster does make things more convoluted:

Jacob explains

Again not sure why Dominic needed to break the despair spell, given that the ritual still occured. Not sure why Jacob cares, especially in light of what he's about to do.

So, why bother saving them? If you are going to try to kill Greg, why not just let DOminic die. Here's where I think it becomes obvious that MOokie again unintentionally wrote an interesting character. Jacob as an antagonist with a soft spot for his family is more interesting than Jacob the uncaring badass who also inexplicably doesn't kill his family when he has the chance, but tries to sometimes.

Again, no chance to heal. Jacob knows this and is smug about it. He does want greg to die.

Jacob fights Milov, and appears to be more powerful than any other character at this point. It is of course the DB Z sort of power where it's not comparable or understandable in any way.

Dominic instantly figures out how to wrest control of the situation.

It's a dumb anime trope. Also I hope last rites for sick people don't involve kissing them on the lips. Gross.

Greg is filled with righteous horniness.

Greg's super special white magic is now not something he's been pracitcing, but some innate potential that Jacob was blocking. From thsi point on in the comic, Greg's powers manifest as a super-saiyan level of chi power inside of him that lets him do whatever he wants. A better writer would have made this JAcob's plan all along. But...

Villains can't be complex.

Again, here we find that the power stealing was pointless and didn't really accomplish anything.

Jacob is making a frankenstein! Who know what nefarious purpose he has in store? (It never makes sense)

We end this section with Jacob being the best, once again.

So overall I think here is where we see why perople thought Mookie could write good villains, and what brought some people in. Despite Jacob's plan relying too much on knowing exactly what all the pieces would do, this entrance, with him firmly in control and accomplishing his plan, is compelling. Despite the misstep with greg, Jacob feels like one of those grey villains that is out for his own ends but can sometimes help or ally with the heroes. HE is fun, and at the time, really novel. I like his aethetic and this point, he's quippy and funny, just the right kind of irreverant. Mookie has not ruined him yet.

But again, I wonder about the intentionality of it. Jacob seems to have actually gone out of his way to prevent anyone from dying, other than the chosen. Ultimately the only person really negatively affected is Jayden. So he's not good, but he's not uncaring the way he claims to be, or he doesn't seem to be anyway. But that is never brought up in the comics, that idea that he is playing this role of the monster, to convince himself or others of how dangerous he is, is never explored. So we're just left with the text of the comic communicating one thing that is never addressed, and the action showing another.

I don't think Mookie could stomach a town full of innocents dying, or a main character dying. So instead of finding a way around that, he just writes a story where hiw super-bad, no-good, definitely a murderer villain doesnt' let people die for no reason. Just moves on without addressing it. So was jacob popular, and is he well rememberd, because of Mookie's writing, or in spite of it?

Hard to tell.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 9, 2020