Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

As an ethnic Chinese person I have to say the new Mulan is god awful at depicting Chinese things. It’s a testament to how you can put all the “ethnic” faces you want on screen; if the main crew is white it’ll still show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeeeeah - Xiran pointed out it seemed like they tried to make Mulan into Chinese Elsa, and good god did no one take five seconds to make sure the match-making make up look halfway decent?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Barudak posted:

Let the record show I came out of Beauty and the Beast and Lion King calling them trash.

My chinese family is convinced the reason new Star Wars and new Mulan suck is the same root cause, Disney doesnt just not understand eastern philosphy, culture, and storytelling tropes, they actively undermine it.

I wonder if that's what people are trying to articulate when they say stuff like "Rey is a Mary Sue." Because undoubtedly she struggled! But a lot of that struggle was in her background, before the movie, so it falls into the "you are the special, talented protagonist" hole.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

yeeeeah - Xiran pointed out it seemed like they tried to make Mulan into Chinese Elsa, and good god did no one take five seconds to make sure the match-making make up look halfway decent?

I think this goes back to the original where the makeup is supposed to seem super out of place and over the top on Mulan, but in the cartoon its more a metaphor for how she has no interest in the ceremony. In live action it just looks like they made it purposefully garish.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/jacksonpublick/status/1303102212193705985?s=20

gently caress 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Eh. Maybe if they didn't take 4 years between sea--oh god stop it hurts oh god

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

It's bad. it's all bad.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I really would like to know whose idea was to make qi in the new Mulan a thing "only for warriors (boys) and girls cannot wield it"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vegetable posted:

As an ethnic Chinese person I have to say the new Mulan is god awful at depicting Chinese things. It’s a testament to how you can put all the “ethnic” faces you want on screen; if the main crew is white it’ll still show.

Yeah, if you're going to make a movie set in China, maybe get some people who are Chinese and know things about Chinese culture to help write/direct it?

Everything is worse now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

this is... the worst year of all time. ok.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

this is... the worst year of all time. ok.

Just when you think "This can't get worse" it finds new and exciting ways to make your life less enjoyable.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really really hope either through kickstarter or through Adult Swim having some kindness in their heart that they can pull together a movie to wrap things up.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Honestly I'm surprised Venture Bros managed to still be around this long, it's been airing since the early days of Adult swim.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

17 years is an incredible run. I wonder what their production process was like vs other shows that made it only possible to do 7 seasons over that length of time. Is it all written by a couple of guys and they just take all the time they need?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ccs posted:

17 years is an incredible run. I wonder what their production process was like vs other shows that made it only possible to do 7 seasons over that length of time. Is it all written by a couple of guys and they just take all the time they need?

Pretty much literally this.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I really would like to know whose idea was to make qi in the new Mulan a thing "only for warriors (boys) and girls cannot wield it"

As you know, girls are icky unwanted abominations, so it only makes sense that they don’t have the natural energy that pervades all other living things. Unless they’re as strong as a man that is.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

RE: Mulan a bunch of scenes were filmed in Xinjiang and the credits explicitly thanks the staff of the Uighur concentration camps which sure is a hell of a look on top of the pro-HK police statements by Liu YiFei and Donnie Yen

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ccs posted:

Yeah, it's mostly about them gathering ideas for it.

What's a bummer is that there are at least a few good finale points for the series. The Season 4 finale really stood out and was potentially going to be an ending when it initially aired. But they cancelled on a season with a cliffhanger.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Trailer for wolfwalkers is out:
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/apple-tv-releases-first-trailer-for-cartoon-saloons-wolf walkers-196276.html

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Looks sumptuous, it'll be a must watch for me based on the last two films.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Pick posted:

Every time one of the live action ones comes out people give it lukewarm but positive reviews, until like a year later when we all admit it was loving garbage

I still think Aladdin was 'alright.' But I can never picture a scenario in my head where I would be watching the live action one instead of the original, if given the choice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SolarFire2 posted:

I still think Aladdin was 'alright.' But I can never picture a scenario in my head where I would be watching the live action one instead of the original, if given the choice.

It’s a Medium Place thing. All the Disney movies you love! But they’re the live action ones. :gbsmith:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The_Doctor posted:

It’s a Medium Place thing. All the Disney movies you love! But they’re the live action ones. :gbsmith:

And all the Lord of the Rings movies you love! But they’re the animated ones

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I mean if I get to hear "Where there's a Whip, There's a Way" then it is the Good Place.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Hedrigall posted:

i have been summoned

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hedrigall posted:

Honestly I love Fishman Gollum more than stringy gross NEET gollum.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i randomly think of this photo and laugh irl at least once a week

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

they tried

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FilthyImp posted:

Honestly I love Fishman Gollum more than stringy gross NEET gollum.

Yeah, Rankin-Bass Gollum is the best version of the character on film

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Hedrigall posted:

Not for nothin', the animated one held my interest longer than any of the other movies or the books

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder how long til we come full circle and there's animated remakes of LotR.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
???

Also oh god gently caress me the series was Sealab 2021 and we're like months away from that year god gently caress poo poo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KCLdHpObBE

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

one of the animators loved aragorn's costume so much he insisted on wearing it at all times while working on the cels

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

sounds like a good excuse to not have to wear pants at the office, I'd do that too

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I had a thought the other day

With movie sets being danger zones right now (fuckin Robert Pattinson got diagnosed with covid 3 days after they resumed filming The Batman) is now the perfect time for Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg to finally get on making the Tintin sequel???

All you need is one actor at a time in a motion capture stage and the director in a control room, right?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

I had a thought the other day

With movie sets being danger zones right now (fuckin Robert Pattinson got diagnosed with covid 3 days after they resumed filming The Batman) is now the perfect time for Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg to finally get on making the Tintin sequel???

All you need is one actor at a time in a motion capture stage and the director in a control room, right?

1.) I would love a Tintin sequel so let's hope so.

2.) Oh geez, poor Robert Pattinson, that dude just can't catch a break.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

2.) Oh geez, poor Robert Pattinson, that dude just can't catch a break.
it brings me no joy to remind everyone that edward cullen initially became a vampire because he was dying of spanish flu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, it's mostly about them gathering ideas for it.

What's a bummer is that there are at least a few good finale points for the series. The Season 4 finale really stood out and was potentially going to be an ending when it initially aired. But they cancelled on a season with a cliffhanger.

That last season was so good too. Monarch moonlighting as the Green Hornet Blue Morpho was probably some of the best moments of the show’s entire run.

And now it’s over.