Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I miss the execution sound effects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also another thing compared to EU4 is that being vassalized isn't the end all. Vassals by default can freely wage war against one another and externally and your liege won't care. You contribute taxes and levies to them automatically so you basically play like normal except you can't get individually targeted by bigger fish than you (they have to declare on your liege).

There are multiple ways to get out of it too. There's a first pick skill in the Stewardship tree (Meritocracy) that lets you fabricate a claim to take over your liege's titles and some tribal/religion? types allow you to challenge your liege in an honourable duel.

Ask me about losing an 87% chance to succeed against an 8 year old boy. When the cooldown was off and I did it again, my uncle had already taken the throne from him and when the event fired he just said oh you're here, you can have it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Aaaand that's game. Pretty fun, not that much Byzantine flavour but I'm sure that'll come in time. Off to the Vikings, next.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Eej posted:

Also another thing compared to EU4 is that being vassalized isn't the end all. Vassals by default can freely wage war against one another and externally and your liege won't care. You contribute taxes and levies to them automatically so you basically play like normal except you can't get individually targeted by bigger fish than you (they have to declare on your liege).

There are multiple ways to get out of it too. There's a first pick skill in the Stewardship tree (Meritocracy) that lets you fabricate a claim to take over your liege's titles and some tribal/religion? types allow you to challenge your liege in an honourable duel.

Ask me about losing an 87% chance to succeed against an 8 year old boy. When the cooldown was off and I did it again, my uncle had already taken the throne from him and when the event fired he just said oh you're here, you can have it.

Hell, being a vassal now can make you significantly stronger than you would be independently with some of the feudal contract options. And between the contract and keeping crown authority low it's very easy to make your contributions to your liege almost nonexistent.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Btw, I still see people talking about how to get good councilors/knights. Don't forget that you can recruit prisoners.
Peasant revolt leaders specifically usually have pretty decent prowess and martial skills.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
My husband got randomly made Holy Roman Emperor, which has been a colossal pain in the rear end. Hes constantly dragged me into wars over the last 20 years. The one time I decided to help out my heir died in combat, leaving a four year old in Jerusalem as my heir. Then he got killed in a siege, leaving four daughters who are gonna split off Wales, Brittany and large chunks of England after I inevitably die. The worst part is they're holy roman princesses and thus cant be disinherited. I'm wondering if theres anything I can do short of successfully rushing for Emperor of Britannia, which I'm still 20 countries from being able to form. At age 59 that seems pretty drat unlikely, particularly given that the only possible strat seems to involve pushing a claim on the Scottish duchy the pope somehow ended up with.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hey, marrying away unwanted sons matrilineally means they leave your court, right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yes, and their kids aren't of your dynasty and they have pressable claims on your lands and probably still inherit normally when you die

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dammit, the last one is what I take issue with. I don't mind pressable claims but anything that causes land to automatically transfer away can go to hell.

I suppose it'll be raiding "mishaps," then.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Having done a couple of games now, the main critique I have is a lack of flavor. Obviously you can't expect the number of events that CK2 had after years of DLC and updates, but still a lot of the stuff with the modular religious system seems like it could be made less generic. If I reform my religion to make human sacrifice a thing I want at least want an event with text when I actually do sacrifice someone. Right now it's the same as a regular execution but the malus to piety becomes a bonus. And if I take a pilgrimage to an actual holy site it'd be nice if I got events flavored to that particular location, like you used to get with the Hajj in CK2. Or if my religion allows me to honor someone as a guest for a relations boost why do I not get an event for that?

Holy days would also be a nice thing to add, come to think of it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly, that is probably something that will be added with DLC. A sort of "Way of Life" package if I were to guess.
But yeah, more distinct events and decisions based on religion, culture, etc, would be nice.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Alright so I married my sister and we have two beautiful boys. Robert is a genius, diligent, and just. He a scholar by nature and I predict great things for him as my heir. On the other hand his brother Henry, well Henry is a big boy. Unarguably my largest son, and strong as they come. But things don't really come together for Henry, he's a bit touched. Dumb as a brick really.

I would like to take my load of bricks son and make him a brick shithouse by making prowess his number one stat. I don't need him to be Napoleon or even know who strategy is, all I need him to be is John Henry and hammer the everliving poo poo out of whatever his smarter brother tells him to. Are there any ways of focusing a child on incredible violence?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wonder if giving a high-prowess guardian will help out your large non-adult son, a Martial education would probably be great in any case

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Omnicarus posted:

Alright so I married my sister and we have two beautiful boys. Robert is a genius, diligent, and just. He a scholar by nature and I predict great things for him as my heir. On the other hand his brother Henry, well Henry is a big boy. Unarguably my largest son, and strong as they come. But things don't really come together for Henry, he's a bit touched. Dumb as a brick really.

I would like to take my load of bricks son and make him a brick shithouse by making prowess his number one stat. I don't need him to be Napoleon or even know who strategy is, all I need him to be is John Henry and hammer the everliving poo poo out of whatever his smarter brother tells him to. Are there any ways of focusing a child on incredible violence?

Set him to martial education focus and give him to an educator that has prowess improving traits.
Traits seems to be the only thing educators influence in general, maybe some base stats too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh no my rear end in a top hat half brother clicked on "club liege with a mace" and passed the check so I just up and lost the High Kingdom of Poland. When I pressed my claim to the throne all my vassals rose up when my doom stack was on the other end of the empire and I got downgraded to a Duchy. Then my half brother got overthrown by my other half brother and when I hit "club liege with mace" I had a 100% chance to knock out the rear end in a top hat who kicked me out in the first place. Meanwhile there are raiders and war just raging around the entire empire and in the end I couldn't get my empire back.

Tribes suck!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nice, my grandson just murdered me for absolutely no reason. The only reason I can think of is that he had the ambitious trait, but there was no bad blood between us before this, and he was the heir of my heir, so it's not like he wouldn't have gotten everything eventually.

Ah well, denounced and disinherited, chop chop

Edit: Why on earth can I not disinherit someone outside of my realm?!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hmmm, you know, maybe putting walls everywhere in the time of gavelkind might actually be a bad move in retrospect? Since your poo poo gets partitioned out, you probably want to make sure the realm doesn't end up being hard to siege until you know your heir will reliably get the good counties, huh?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In the Tribal era I have been encouraged to give zero shits about any county except the capital lol, it's all going to disappear like tears in rain anyway

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
This is what the chastity perk is for, folks. Wife-and-three-concubines just doesn’t make for a stable succession unless you can throttle back the baby making.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Started as the Hautevilles in 1066, got El Cid to join my court with a matrilineal marriage to my daughter. Named her as the beneficiary of the 1st Crusade. Won, switched to her, seduced the Pope, got pregnant, we'll see where it goes from here as the horny bi queen of Jerusalem.

GOTY

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you fabricate claims on the counties in your main duchy, you can just revoke them without penalty.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So how does this happen.

I'm England, but its just the south, Mercia still exists. Scotland is mostly Alba at this time. Suddenly, BOOM Merica is Alba. There was a war but you can't conquer an entire realm in one war can you?

Also is there some kind of bug or something where I only ever have daughters? Since the start of the game, not one of my rulers has had a son.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is anyone else's play session filled with inordinately long pauses where you're staring at the map contemplating?

The previous Kanem-Bornu emperor was deposed by an outside army and the seat of the empire shifted from east of me to the south. The new empress is literally completely hated by all her new vassals with -100 opinion across the board. Hey, they all have pretty good opinions of me... I would have to take some time to learn the Claim Throne scheme and activate it, though, as my mother was stripped of her claim on the imperial throne in a previous war.

The great powers in the empire are my Hausaland, Yorubaland which was partitioned off to my Rival Uncle and is almost at equal strength (bolstered by better alliances) and which I have a strong claim on, and Sao which is about half as strong as either of us and is mainly a roadblock because of their border gore exclaves. The rest of the empire are small also-rans. Both my uncle and the empress are also Terrified of me even though I have literally 0 dread, I don't know if that's actionable though lol.

The Kingdom of Ghana to the west completely fractured in the last succession. Besides Akan, none of these individually put up much of a threat to me.

I am totally unsure how to proceed, lol. Expand west to bring in new territory? Get the other kingdom away from my uncle? Work to take the empire? All these sound fun...

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

So how does this happen.

I'm England, but its just the south, Mercia still exists. Scotland is mostly Alba at this time. Suddenly, BOOM Merica is Alba. There was a war but you can't conquer an entire realm in one war can you?
Yeah you can

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

dex_sda posted:

Yeah you can

Wait how? I can only take one province at a time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

twistedmentat posted:

Wait how? I can only take one province at a time.

It all depends on what CB you have.

If you're warring over a county claim, you'll get a county. If you're warring because you have a claim on the whole kingdom, you'll get the whole kingdom.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also tribals have a bunch of "I'm taking your poo poo because I'm stronger than you" casus bellies, so you often see their duchies or kingdoms changing hands.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jabor posted:

It all depends on what CB you have.

If you're warring over a county claim, you'll get a county. If you're warring because you have a claim on the whole kingdom, you'll get the whole kingdom.

I figured that but I have no idea how Alba had one on Mercia. It's not a worry anymore because Alba clearly couldn't hold onto their southern possessions and they all broke away. Now I can gobble them up...i mean unite them into the glorious English Kingdom.

Does this have that thing like in CK2 where there is an event to make English culture rather than it being Anglo-Saxon?

Also in earlier games I tried to stuff in central Europe but everyone I chose would just get invaded by vikings and once crusades could happen, Christians. Does that end at some point? and is there a way to convert on your own or is that an event too?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There are a million ways to get claims on big patches of land, even as Catholics. Inherited claims is the OG and the one people seem to forget since CK2 introduced a bunch of other options (which this game still has some of). Marry a ruler/someone with a claim, inherit title/claim. Easy. Also all of the pope and new lifestyle claims. I took over the whole of France by being friends with the pope (ie, making up lies about him liking butt stuff) and he was like, yeah ok , you should be the king of France.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My brain literally does not comprehend the chains of inheritance, it's like I lack object permanence and once I marry a relative off they disappear from my mind

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

This newborn could probably kick the rear end of half my realm.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Based on the number of 1 year old bullies, he probably will

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

This newborn could probably kick the rear end of half my realm.

could overpower 160 peasants on the field of battle

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh gently caress I misclicked in the casus belli screen and picked the wrong duchy for this war I've been fighting for 5 years, ugh...

Why don't they just let you click the land on the map you want...

I am literally going to reload because this duchy is literally on the other side of the continent

Edit: oh wait it changed my settings and went back to cloud saves, which are all corrupt and say "wrong version" and invalid... ugh did I waste this whole evening

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Why the hell can't I get my children back from this random court they're visiting? Both parents are back in my capital county and they have no guardians. The court is a vassal's court, on top of that. Frustrating.

Also lol my intrigue heir murdered his brother when I tried to disinherit him for the less insane son.

edit: fixed it by murdering the vassal so his court ceased to exist!

Eminent Domain fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 8, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My "content" brother sure was real good at somehow getting control over the rest of my brothers' counties. That said, he's actually pretty loyal to me, even if he tried to gently caress my wife that one time. Oh well.

I've gotten the military perks I like: knight branch is real good because those dudes are some real Dynasty Warriors-level killers, and I like the entire left branch since I prefer quality troops. What do you guys like picking? I was thinking going Learning in order to speed up my terrible development/innovation rates, as well as stay healthy and so on.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

They really nailed that Charlie Kirk model

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh god, managing giving out all the counties after a kingdom invasion is a stressful affair if you're ambitious.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Workaround to Ambitious stress is you don't take any hit if you give titles out to pre existing vassals. It's creating new ones that's the problem. Having gigantic vassals in itself can be a problem of course but that's Ambitous for ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Can you see who's on your liege's council somewhere? And can you ask/hook him into giving you a seat?