Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Big Bidness posted:

I gave away the pack of light roast filters I bought. They didn’t improve a single cup no matter what I tried. I figured the whole thing was another lame gimmick.

But the medium roast filters have been better for me than the standard hario filters. You have to be more mindful of high and dry grounds because of the texture, but other than that they’ve become my go to filter.

I'm yet to try out the mediums I got. The light filters seem to remove all bitterness, even if you do over-extract, so they're a straight upgrade for me over the Harios. Have you tried using a light roast with the medium filters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

agrielaios posted:

Ok, this is a concept, please do not try this before investigating, etc etc. Stinging nettle for coffee. Using nettle tea, leaves not in, as water base for brewing your coffee? I can think of how it can be good, but not sure about how it can go bad, which is always possible

Try it with a pour over or French press first. I wouldn’t put nettle water through a machine though, I’d worry about particulates and clogging any filters unnecessarily. If nothing else, it will be interesting as an experiment.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

Jhet posted:

Try it with a pour over or French press first. I wouldn’t put nettle water through a machine though, I’d worry about particulates and clogging any filters unnecessarily. If nothing else, it will be interesting as an experiment.

Good idea!

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

kemikalkadet posted:

Got this to try. Beans from the same farm processed three different ways, should be good for getting a handle on how different processes affect the flavour. Honey processed Costa Rican is my favourite and the bean I usually buy, will be interesting to taste it in natural and washed versions.

This is awesome, enjoy! Let us know how they taste

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 5, 2020

Gunder
May 22, 2003

kemikalkadet posted:

Got this to try. Beans from the same farm processed three different ways, should be good for getting a handle on how different processes affect the flavour. Honey processed Costa Rican is my favourite and the bean I usually buy, will be interesting to taste it in natural and washed versions.

That's really cool. I would be interested in reading your findings!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Having a hard time adjusting to my new Encore grinder. I was trying to follow a lot of James Hoffman's process for the V60 and Chemex and getting pretty good results with my blade grinder. I felt pretty confident with the technique and was hitting all of the target times pretty consistently with delicious results.

I'm not sure if there's just some weird mental block going on. I figured I'd just start with the recommended settings in the manual and adjust up/down from there. Every cup has been rough so far. I was starting off nowhere near the goal brew times, and but now when I manage to hit them they're horribly over extracted.

Any ideas? All of my other variables should be the same as before: beans, water temp, bloom/pour durations, ratios, filters, even the type of water is the same. I thought the grinds looked similar enough to what I was getting from my blade, but the end result is drastically different. I've gone through 3 settings for each pour over method I have and I don't feel like I'm really getting anywhere.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Try dialing it in by taste instead of time. Go coarser if it’s too bitter/astringent. Some coffees just perform better at different brew durations so don’t worry if it drains down much more quickly or slowly than it would seem like it’s supposed to.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i own every Bionicle posted:

Try dialing it in by taste instead of time. Go coarser if it’s too bitter/astringent. Some coffees just perform better at different brew durations so don’t worry if it drains down much more quickly or slowly than it would seem like it’s supposed to.

Agreed.

To me is sounds like you might be brewing too slowly.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Gatts posted:

Gonna go through this 5lbs sack of coffee from Costco

This is my favorite of the Costco coffees. I think the other ones, Starbucks roasts especially, the beans seem greasy.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

red19fire posted:

Starbucks roasts especially, the beans seem greasy.

I think this is what happens when you roast the gently caress out of the beans.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Yes - past second crack and into burnt to gently caress territory is when you see the oils appear on the beans.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

The Postman posted:

Having a hard time adjusting to my new Encore grinder. I was trying to follow a lot of James Hoffman's process for the V60 and Chemex and getting pretty good results with my blade grinder. I felt pretty confident with the technique and was hitting all of the target times pretty consistently with delicious results.

I'm not sure if there's just some weird mental block going on. I figured I'd just start with the recommended settings in the manual and adjust up/down from there. Every cup has been rough so far. I was starting off nowhere near the goal brew times, and but now when I manage to hit them they're horribly over extracted.

Any ideas? All of my other variables should be the same as before: beans, water temp, bloom/pour durations, ratios, filters, even the type of water is the same. I thought the grinds looked similar enough to what I was getting from my blade, but the end result is drastically different. I've gone through 3 settings for each pour over method I have and I don't feel like I'm really getting anywhere.

If the filter is draining too fast, make the grind finer. If it's too slow, try coarser. If you want to calibrate, going by taste is the best, but you can go super coarse, then super fine, then adjust towards the middle until you get what you like. No Encore grinder is calibrated the same against one another, so you may need to tweak it a bit.

By way of example, I use about 20 on my Encore for v60-02, chemex, and french press (using break/clean method). 30 to 45g in with 500 to 600g of water at 3 to 5 minutes produces a drinkable cup. I may adjust if needed, but I tend to brew using light to light-medium beans only and they work fine.

"The grinds look similar enough" just means that. Burr grinders tend to have a different grind profile than blade grinders so even if the grinds look the same that is just your eyeballs pattern matching and thinking it's the same. The taste is the important part, but if they look similar enough, then you're probably in the right ballpark and need to make maybe no more than 5 clicks in either direction.

Thus, game plan would be as follows:

- Take your current grind setting and add 5 clicks, grind and brew as normal.
- If too fast, take that grind setting and remove 10 clicks, grind and brew.

If neither side is getting to where you want to be, then you may want to consider extending the grind band while dialing it in. If you want to be very dramatic, try 10/20/30, then move in from there (so +/- 10 full numbers as opposed to "clicks").

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Also, what is your brew ratio

The Postman
May 12, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Also, what is your brew ratio

I've been brewing 30g coffee with 500g water.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I realized I've had my Behmor roaster for almost 3 years and I still haven't done a manual roast on it.

I'm a sad coffee man.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Haven't had coffee in 4 days now because it's 90+ degrees every loving day and the thought of boiling water makes me want to be dead. I'm just ready for global warming to end humanity already.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Haven't had coffee in 4 days now because it's 90+ degrees every loving day and the thought of boiling water makes me want to be dead. I'm just ready for global warming to end humanity already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PApBycDrPo0

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The Postman posted:

I've been brewing 30g coffee with 500g water.

I have had bad luck trying to worry too much about matching my brew time to youtubers, knowledgeable as they might be. I buy a lot of different beans and they all have wildly different drain times from each other at the same grind setting, and their drain time also changes as the beans age too. You're better off just trying to hone in on the cup you like best.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I recently discovered that different beans from different regions create vastly more fines in the grind, and thus alter the drain time quite a bit. Apparently African coffees are particularly bad at producing fines.

When you have a draw-down time that is miles longer or shorter you just have to go by taste. Or get a sifter.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

My 2 pounds of SWP sweet Maria's Ethiopian decaf arrives tomorrow. I'm betting it will take 2-3 times to nail down the roast level :(

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I have a little bit of a coffee issue. What do you do with your grounds when you clean your French press? I've been putting them down the toilet in the hotel I'm staying at. The problem with that is it makes the toilet look nasty.
Also I just try to make the coffee as strong as possible, and drink it black. I use a whole lot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You're the poster who makes the what did you cook thread look really weird, right?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Have you tried flushing the toilet?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

excellent bird guy posted:

I have a little bit of a coffee issue. What do you do with your grounds when you clean your French press? I've been putting them down the toilet in the hotel I'm staying at. The problem with that is it makes the toilet look nasty.
Also I just try to make the coffee as strong as possible, and drink it black. I use a whole lot.

I put mine in my toilets tank

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
o.0
I'll interpret these responses as: No one else flushes the grinds [edit: I meant to say grounds not grinds] so just use the trashcan

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 8, 2020

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Grounds act a bit like sand and can clog a sink pretty easily. Toilet drains probably have a higher tolerance but I still wouldn't chance it, personally.

The dance between putting grounds in the trash and not pouring water into it is the #1 reason I avoid using my FP, and every time I think there has to be a trick to this I haven't figured out yet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's a hotel toilet, no way are coffee grounds going to hurt it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
What the hell is wrong with your plumbing that a French press slurry of gorunds and water is Gunna hurt it?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Jestery posted:

What the hell is wrong with your plumbing that a French press slurry of gorunds and water is Gunna hurt it?

Ok thanks, I'll keep flushing it. It means I have to clean the toilet a lot more for obvious reasons.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

excellent bird guy posted:

Ok thanks, I'll keep flushing it. It means I have to clean the toilet a lot more for obvious reasons.

It was meant in general to the thread than to your question specifically. But yeah your hotel toilet should be just fine.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Why can’t you put them in the trash and then wash the press in the sink like a normal person?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I guess if you compost stuff you could toss the grinds there. If you're in a hotel I think you should just find potted plants to hide the grounds.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The laugh that this page has started my day off with nearly makes coffee superfluous

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Remy Marathe posted:

Grounds act a bit like sand and can clog a sink pretty easily. Toilet drains probably have a higher tolerance but I still wouldn't chance it, personally.

The dance between putting grounds in the trash and not pouring water into it is the #1 reason I avoid using my FP, and every time I think there has to be a trick to this I haven't figured out yet.

The trick is to pour most of the dry grounds into the trash, before washing it. That way there won't be enough grounds in your pipes to clog them. And if you use a drain filter, the larger clumbs will end up there and go into the trash from there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I mix my grounds in with birdseed and let the shits fall where they may

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Toilets be toilets, but I've been thinking there would be a cumulative effect at a kitchen sink's gooseneck, such that that a tablespoon or so of grounds every day would eventually lead to our sink draining for poo poo. Isn't this why communal break rooms have signs telling people not to put their grounds down the drain?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

We have plastic-reducing trash bags that dissolve when wet so I can't put wet grounds in there. Had to dry them first. That's one of the reasons I switched over to an Aeropress, simpler cleanup.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Gunder posted:

That's really cool. I would be interested in reading your findings!

Tried the natural and the washed process so far, the difference is noticeable in a pretty interesting way. Started with the washed: quite bright and clear tasting, mainly caramel flavours and a little bit of citrus. A little bland for my tastes, still a really nice cup but not very complex. The natural process beans essentially tasted the same as washed but with an extra blueberry flavour. Like the caramels and citrus etc. were still there from the washed but there was a very obvious extra flavour on top.

I've got no experience in tasting coffee, beyond drinking a lot and enjoying the process of making it so this experiment was pretty useful for singling out different flavours. If i just bought a bag of natural process I don't think I'd be able to pick out the blueberry flavour as well or understand how it relates to the base flavour of the bean. Would definitely recommend trying it if you can find something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Jestery posted:

A big chunk of UK housing stock is pre-war and anything thicker than, like, milk will gently caress the pipes.