Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Codependent Poster posted:

I rewatched this the other night and I love how you can pick up details that they put in plain sight but don't really call your attention to it.

Like, the first moment Blanc meets Marta face to face Blanc looks down and directly at Marta's shoes. Only at the end do they call attention to it, and it makes Blanc so much of a better character in that he immediately knew Marta was directly involved in the death, but didn't jump to any conclusions and saw that Marta was actually a good person.

I loved it in particular because I was worried for a bit that the movie was making Blanc an incompetent detective, that is missing everything of importance. There’s a bit of that, but then he catches on, and I find that far more interesting to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

jivjov posted:

That wasn't JGL. His cameo was the voice of the cop in the drama show that Marta's sister is watching at the beginning of the film.

Raúl Castillo is the cop walking Ransom out.

“WE HAVE THE NANNYCAM FOOTAGE!”

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

He's great in Boardwalk Empire, too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Thread's back. Hooray for whodunnits.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I enjoyed Knives Out and I enjoy seeing this thread re-opened.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I, too, enjoyed knives out, and I'm happy that my household has two separate copies of it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yay! Good thread, good film.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Thanks for re-opening Fran.

Just watched the today and thought it was great. I liked that Blanc is a periphery character for large sections of the movie, meaning that the audience only ever knows as much about him as the other characters do.

I hope they take a similar approach with him in the sequel.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

I, too, enjoyed knives out, and I'm happy that my household has two separate copies of it

lol curious to know what a per-person ratio of this is

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

lol curious to know what a per-person ratio of this is

5 people, 2 copies of the film. One of my roommates is a stickler for physical media and buys his own copies of any movies he desperately wants to own, whereas I buy hardcopies only of particular favorites, such as Rian Johnson's filmography

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I won’t be impressed until you have a display made of hundreds of Knives Out discs.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

I won’t be impressed until you have a display made of hundreds of Knives Out discs.

Do you think they can tell the difference between a real Knives Out disc and a prop one?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I went on a whodunit binge a little while ago. Death on the Nile, The Thin Man, and After the Thin Man are great, Another Thin Man and Sleuth are good, and Evil Under the Sun is fine, but Knives Out bests them all, I'd say. I just love Daniel Craig so much, I think.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Clarence posted:

Do you think they can tell the difference between a real Knives Out disc and a prop one?

I think it takes somewhere between 115-130 minutes before you notice.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

This shot from the end of the film.

Shows the relative positions the Thrombeys find themselves in at the end. Richard (who'd signed a pre-nup and was caught having an affair) is worse off than the dog.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How was Linda better off? Because she was divorcing Richard?

Clarence
May 3, 2012

She still had her business (which she'd started with Harlan's money but wasn't wanting more).
She was wanting the house from the will.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

How was Linda better off? Because she was divorcing Richard?

Linda had actually turned her million dollar loan from her dad into her own wealth. She wasn't dependant on Harlan for continued gains like Jodi and Walt were, and at the end of the movie she found out her husband was cheating on her and can act on that. Yeah, she was still racist as gently caress toward Marta, but she ended up being the least bad of the kids

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The car and the dog are in equipose.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What a tightly written film. Outside of some light comic relief I can't think of a single wasted line of dialogue. I just can't believe it took me this long to see it.

The only line that I was expecting to be called back but wasn't was when Harlan was explaining his intentions to Marta, and he kept hammering that his family are worthless cretins just like she told him. I suppose it was a red herring of sorts, because I was half expecting the final reveal to be that she knew full well what she was doing and had been playing the long game. And I think a lesser film would have gone in that direction - there's even the set up of the lie-puking which would have made for a pretty standard Keyser Soze reveal.

I suppose there was a grain of truth in it too though - she saw the family for what it truly was and told him what she thought - but that's all it was, rather than a manipulation. She wasn't playing their game, she was just being decent.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not sure if you've read through the discussion in the thread or not, but one of the most fascinating reads I've gotten from discussion here is that even Harlan himself wasn't free from the vices of his kids and the rest of the family. Had he listened to Marta and let her call 911, he would have lived. He got so wrapped up in the idea of "closing the book with a flourish" that he literally killed himself as part of a scheme. He was, on the whole, more decent of a person than most of the rest of the family, but still was an old, affluent white man obsessed with his idea of being right

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
And then he’d have to explain why he thought he had overdosed on morphine, eventually leading to Marta’s incrimination.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I've been skimming back through the thread. Some interesting takeaways there. And some not so interesting discussion of Meg and sci fi.

I feel like I want to rewatch this ASAP to bathe in all of the foreshadowing, but my movie backlog is stupidly big enough as it is.

E: I also love that the film captures the spirit of classic murder mysteries while also taking modern forensic techniques into account. The initial conclusions based on the forensic evidence were correct - nothing untoward showed up on the autopsy and the blood pattern showed that it was suicide. It would've been so easy to sweep stuff like that under the carpet but it all fits together beautifully.

Also I wonder what Ransom would actually have been charged with re: Harlan. Attempted murder, sure. But can you still call it "attempted" murder if the victim committed suicide as a direct result of your actions? I doubt there's much precedent for that.

I don't know much about US probate laws, but would the family really have gotten the full inheritance if they'd convinced Marta to renounce it? Since Harlan explicitly chose to exclude the family would it really just automatically go to the next of kin? Or would it not just go to the state?

E: VVVV "I thought I'd mixed up the vials but I must have been mistaken" :shrug:

stev fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 17, 2020

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pirate Jet posted:

And then he’d have to explain why he thought he had overdosed on morphine, eventually leading to Marta’s incrimination.

One would think that a medicine/dosage mixup that ended up not actually being a mixup would be far less incriminating than accidentally ODing someone on morphine. Like, I doubt the fallout from it would be PLEASANT, but ideally not life ruining

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

jivjov posted:

One would think that a medicine/dosage mixup that ended up not actually being a mixup would be far less incriminating than accidentally ODing someone on morphine. Like, I doubt the fallout from it would be PLEASANT, but ideally not life ruining

It would still be serious malpractice and would likely result in harsh penalties for Marta including possibly losing her medical license, and Harlan’s entire point was that with her mother and sister undocumented, she couldn’t afford to have the feds snooping around her situation at all.

To act like Harlan didn’t believe Marta, or was insisting upon inserting himself into a white savior narrative, is to ironically ignore Marta’s own words that Harlan had five minutes to live and an ambulance would take fifteen to arrive. His decision makes perfect sense for his situation, even if he’s been deceived by Ransom.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Umm why wouldn't it just play out exactly like what happened at the end of the movie where the police are involved and find out that someone swapped the labels on the medication and Marta faces no repercussions?

In this alternate scenario where Harlan lets Marta call the police he obviously doesn't die and then when the ambulance shows up and tests his vitals and blood or whatever everyone realizes he was given the proper medication in the proper dosage (so like, where's the malpractice there?) and it's eventually discovered that the labels were switched. Since Marta switching the labels and then calling an ambulance makes zero sense it should be pretty obvious right away that there's been foul play and since Harlan let one person know he was cutting his family out of the will there's butt-loads of motive and the only thing Marta is guilty of is not falling for an attempted murderer's trick.

That being said I actually agree with the point that Harlan trusted Marta enough to believe that he had five minutes to live, which is a big flaw in the "playing white savior" theory.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm not trying to say that Harlan is this complete monster or anything, but he latched on SUPER hard to the sudden idea of 'closing the book with a flourish', and honestly even if he HAD been about to die of a massive morphine OD, the suicide wouldn't have stopped that from being found out since a tox screen was run on his blood anyway

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Umm why wouldn't it just play out exactly like what happened at the end of the movie where the police are involved and find out that someone swapped the labels on the medication and Marta faces no repercussions?

Mostly because Harlan didn’t know it would play out that way, much like he didn’t know he had been murdered. If Blanc hadn’t gotten involved his plan to turn his death into a suicide would have gone off without a hitch, Stanfield’s character was ready to close the book ten minutes into the movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

Mostly because Harlan didn’t know it would play out that way, much like he didn’t know he had been murdered. If Blanc hadn’t gotten involved his plan to turn his death into a suicide would have gone off without a hitch, Stanfield’s character was ready to close the book ten minutes into the movie.

Ah gotcha, you were speaking more about Harlan's perspective when he decided to commit suicide, where even if he survived Marta's life would have been ruined. I was talking about a hypothetical alternate version where he let her call the police but things played out in the reality of the movie.

That makes sense then, and yeah I am more convinced that the white savior thing is a little overblown.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Harlan relishes the excuse for a theatrical death. He wants to protect Marta but he’s also an ailing man at the end of his life who writes mysteries for a living and wants his final act to live up to his fiction.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If Blanc doesn't show up, Harlan's death is still ruled a suicide, but Marta spends the rest of her life thinking she killed him with a morphine overdose.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A lot of the white savior thing in Harlan's death scene is informed by the will scene, where it's revealed he gave Marta everything without even telling her. It can be argued she wouldn't have accepted it if she'd known, but also that adds to it. He's doing something that ostensibly seems fundamentally altruistic for Marta, but he's doing it in a way that honestly kind of screws her over simultaneously because he needs to get one over on his family one last time. He's basically posthumously ambushing Marta and putting her in the crosshairs of his family.

Unrelated, but there's apparently a deleted scene with I think Riki Lindhome's character where she explains that Walt (Michael Shannon's character) is so desperate for Harlan's money and has been pushing him for adaptation rights because he's deep in debt, but I prefer the way it comes across in the movie, where Walt is just kind of a sad, pathetic guy. He's not a good person, as evidenced when he overplays his hand poorly attempting to imply the immigration threat to Marta, but he's so bad at that it almost feels like he got pushed into it by the family. Which isn't an excuse, obviously. The main reason I prefer that read of him though is the scene where Harlan takes the publishing company away from him, because Shannon seems legitimately heartbroken. For all his faults, it seemed like he enjoyed the connection it gave him to his father, and I appreciated that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd argue that anyone who accumulates that amount of wealth and property is inherently a gigantic bastard, and befriending your nurse doesn't change that even if she isn't white or rich. The power dynamic involved in their relationship could never be anything but unhealthy. Whether that strays into 'white savior' territory is another issue.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the Walt subplot was cut in editing - there's bits of it in the Commentary and deleted scenes on the blu-ray. Walt's bum leg is actually from a mafia guy shaking him down for cash and giving him a gunshot wound to the foot. He tries to pass it off as a biking injury. There's a moment (that's in the trailer, no less!) of a cop dressed undercover in a leather jacket and beanie on Walt and Donna's doorstep that ends up intimidating Donna and she spills the beans to Blanc. He's the cop that's walking Ransom out at the end of the movie, which he why he gives Donna that little nod and she looks shocked. That's also why she's so jumpy at the party - her husband had just been shot like a week before

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Arist posted:

A lot of the white savior thing in Harlan's death scene is informed by the will scene, where it's revealed he gave Marta everything without even telling her. It can be argued she wouldn't have accepted it if she'd known, but also that adds to it. He's doing something that ostensibly seems fundamentally altruistic for Marta, but he's doing it in a way that honestly kind of screws her over simultaneously because he needs to get one over on his family one last time. He's basically posthumously ambushing Marta and putting her in the crosshairs of his family.

Unrelated, but there's apparently a deleted scene with I think Riki Lindhome's character where she explains that Walt (Michael Shannon's character) is so desperate for Harlan's money and has been pushing him for adaptation rights because he's deep in debt, but I prefer the way it comes across in the movie, where Walt is just kind of a sad, pathetic guy. He's not a good person, as evidenced when he overplays his hand poorly attempting to imply the immigration threat to Marta, but he's so bad at that it almost feels like he got pushed into it by the family. Which isn't an excuse, obviously. The main reason I prefer that read of him though is the scene where Harlan takes the publishing company away from him, because Shannon seems legitimately heartbroken. For all his faults, it seemed like he enjoyed the connection it gave him to his father, and I appreciated that.

He probably didn't expect to die so soon under strange circumstances. He'd just begun the process of cutting his family off, presumably more information would have come as those conversations happened.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fun detail on Reddit today. Ricky Jay was supposed to play the estate security guard, but died before filming. So he appears anyway as a little photo. :unsmith:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Watched this tonight after putting it off forever (don't know why, Brick is in my top 10 favorite movies). Tightly written with plenty of clever little bits and twists and turns that all lead to an almost perfect whodunnit. I'd put it above Brick actually, and I do really love Brick. Unrelated but I watched Jojo Rabbit right after and now I'm deeply sadhappy. Is there a word for that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bittersweet?

JoJo Rabbit is very good, and spans the emotional spectrum well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got my new favorite shirt today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Finally saw this after somehow avoiding it for a year. 3 1/2 * out of 5. Probably closer to 4* but I heard so much hype about it as this revolutionary funny or well done mystery with this amazing all star cast but honestly the sexy sweater guy just played a regular rear end in a top hat and halloween mom was a bore.

The young nurse was amazing though. And the old man.

Would watch again in a few years when I forget some of the plot.