Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

so to follow-up, is anyone else no longer able to uninstall native Mac apps with SIP disabled?

There are definitely some apps that macOS won't let you just trash. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it, but I get your use case to some extent. I wonder if you could do it through the CLI doing something like this:
code:
sudo rm -r /Path/to/Application.app
Or perhaps better yet, by simply moving it somewhere else:
code:
sudo mv /Path/to/Application.app /Path/to/AppJail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'll give that a try thx

Bob Morales posted:

Saw this on HN today:

https://lunar.fyi/

Lunar
Intelligent adaptive brightness
for your external display

does this have advantages over f.lux?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

does this have advantages over f.lux?

It changes the actual screen brightness, rather than just applying a color filter.

Bob Morales posted:

Saw this on HN today:

https://lunar.fyi/

Lunar
Intelligent adaptive brightness
for your external display

There's a warning about this kind of functionality from the creator of f.lux:

quote:

There is a problem with "cheap" monitors and DDC/CI: some of them use EEPROMs to store brightness settings, and this limits you to about 100,000 writes.

Worrying about this is the main reason we don't ship DDC/CI with f.lux. (I know that some more modern monitors use NAND and don't have limitations like this.) Anyone know if these fears are overblown?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Is there any way to tell the OS not to respond to those signals?

From the lack of replies I'm guessing the answer is "no"? Is there any other way to prevent the Music app (nee iTunes) from launching? I'd rather not have a help desk person remove it from the system directory (if they even would), but I'm open to other admin-requiring options.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Can your bluetooth headphones just stay in standby mode? Mine can last like 5 months on battery. You can just switch the audio source in the OS when you want to use it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hooah posted:

From the lack of replies I'm guessing the answer is "no"? Is there any other way to prevent the Music app (nee iTunes) from launching? I'd rather not have a help desk person remove it from the system directory (if they even would), but I'm open to other admin-requiring options.

top of the page someone responded to my exact question on this

speaking of, I gave the remote option a try and after prompting for my password I get this:

code:
override rw-r--r--  root/wheel restricted,compressed for /System/Applications/Music.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources? 
after looking this up I instead did "-rf" instead of "-r" after the sudo rm and now I get a bunch of messages like this

code:
rm: /System/Applications/Music.app/Contents/XPCServices: Read-only file system
I get the same message if I try to just use mv to rename it something else

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 1, 2020

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

actionjackson posted:

speaking of, I gave the remote option a try and after prompting for my password I get this:

code:
override rw-r--r--  root/wheel restricted,compressed for /System/Applications/Music.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources? 
after looking this up I instead did "-rf" instead of "-r" after the sudo rm and now I get a bunch of messages like this

code:

I'm not as familiar with macOS, but Windows can get messed up if you forcibly remove system apps. Even if that's fine on macOS, I doubt the help desk folks will be willing to execute that command.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mu Zeta posted:

Can your bluetooth headphones just stay in standby mode? Mine can last like 5 months on battery. You can just switch the audio source in the OS when you want to use it.

I'm usually using them to listen to music on the laptop when this happens.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hooah posted:

I'm not as familiar with macOS, but Windows can get messed up if you forcibly remove system apps. Even if that's fine on macOS, I doubt the help desk folks will be willing to execute that command.

I removed that and many other default apps already, it's just that after the last update the icon shows up again. The program is still removed, I just can't get rid of the icon popping up on the dock (when you click on it it doesn't do anything).

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

code:

code:

Eh, so it didn’t work. You could try elevating to root first, but it looks like they’re locking it down, so I don’t think that’ll work. Note I don’t endorse doing this in an enterprise scenario at all. Your only option may be disabling SIP and removing them (also don’t recommend this in a professional setting). Unless you can tolerate the problem.

For the dock, you could try making a PKG without Music.app in it here: https://techion.com.au/blog/2015/4/28/dock-master

Then install it and move on.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

okay. btw I am doing this with SIP disabled, but it doesn't seem to have an effect I suppose I should re-enable it!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

okay. btw I am doing this with SIP disabled, but it doesn't seem to have an effect I suppose I should re-enable it!

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, then it’s even more protected by the changes in Catalina. They split the OS so that duffers like me can’t mess with it. :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, then it’s even more protected by the changes in Catalina. They split the OS so that duffers like me can’t mess with it. :(

Oh I'm a "duffer" too :) ! It must have been something specifically in the update from last week.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

All the usual websites are claiming Big Sur dev beta 6 is out, but so far my beta 5 still insists there's no updates available, delta or otherwise.

Edit: welp, its out now. Build 5634e.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 3, 2020

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Do y'all know of any Mac apps that serve as a simple self-contained recurring expenses tracker that aren't a PITA to use, and that preferably will live in the menu bar? I'm basically just looking for an equivalent to the (excellent) single-purpose iOS app Bobby.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Roadie posted:

Do y'all know of any Mac apps that serve as a simple self-contained recurring expenses tracker that aren't a PITA to use, and that preferably will live in the menu bar? I'm basically just looking for an equivalent to the (excellent) single-purpose iOS app Bobby.

I don't have an answer to that but Bobby looks pretty cool.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I have to give a presentation tomorrow using Zoom. I think Zoom is a creep company whose software I don't want to install on my Mac. Meetings so far I just attended using my iPad (nothing sensitive on there), but to actually give the presentation this won't work. Unfortunately I waited to long to bring this up so I can't ask to use a different software. I'm also new at the company and I'm not sure if I want to be that guy.

What can I do to minimise how Zoom affects my system? Would making an extra user account with low privileges help? I could set up as new and restore from backup afterwards but that seems like a lot of time I'd rather spend preparing. Or, am I just being overly paranoid?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does someone have a Safari extention that will boost the volume of youtube videos? It doesn't help when I'm watching some technical video on my laptop and the person is mumbling with a lovely mic. I'm afraid to keep the volume up to the peak on my Mac, as if I get a work Skype call I'm going to alert the neighborhood.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

LPG Giant posted:

I have to give a presentation tomorrow using Zoom. I think Zoom is a creep company whose software I don't want to install on my Mac. Meetings so far I just attended using my iPad (nothing sensitive on there), but to actually give the presentation this won't work. Unfortunately I waited to long to bring this up so I can't ask to use a different software. I'm also new at the company and I'm not sure if I want to be that guy.

What can I do to minimise how Zoom affects my system? Would making an extra user account with low privileges help? I could set up as new and restore from backup afterwards but that seems like a lot of time I'd rather spend preparing. Or, am I just being overly paranoid?

FWIW we're not allowed to install on Zoom on our work laptops, and were only recently allowed to access Zoom through a browser, so you're not alone there ... on the other hand, assuming this is your personal computer, the stakes are a lot lower. I'm curious what your concerns are?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

IUG posted:

Does someone have a Safari extention that will boost the volume of youtube videos? It doesn't help when I'm watching some technical video on my laptop and the person is mumbling with a lovely mic. I'm afraid to keep the volume up to the peak on my Mac, as if I get a work Skype call I'm going to alert the neighborhood.

You could switch to Firefox like a normal person and use this extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-audio-equalizer/

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

LPG Giant posted:

Maybe if you have a Boot Camp installation or Parallels or something, you could install it on your virtual Windows. It may not limit system access, but, you know, it may confuse it.

Edit: Or maybe use a device?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MacOS has a built in guest account you can use. Any files in the guest account get deleted when you log off.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

XBenedict posted:

You could switch to Firefox like a normal person and use this extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-audio-equalizer/

Oh hey, it’s that lovely thing every other tech forum on the internet does where they don’t answer the persons question and just be a dick for no reason.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmfao firefox in 2020, i'm howlin

Weedle
May 31, 2006

normal people don't use firefox. hth

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

Oh hey, it’s that lovely thing every other tech forum on the internet does where they don’t answer the persons question and just be a dick for no reason.

jfc thank you

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I only use Firefox if Safari or Chrome don't work for some benighted reason.

And those are usually websites that were last updated/built around the time of the last tech bubble bursting

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I like Firefox :ohdear:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Firefox is fine (I use it myself) but Safari is also great and has tremendous benefits on MacOS

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i use firefox but since mozilla just laid off a quarter of its staff i may have to switch to chrome for the devtools

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
In order to keep my work life (which is extremely browser based) from the rest of my life I have two browsers going with different saved logins etc. Used to be Safari and Chrome but Chrome had become such a ridiculous resources hog on the Mac that I switched to Firefox for a year and a bit but it too has become more and more clunky. To my immense surprise, Microsoft Edge has been nice and snappy for me.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Weedle posted:

normal people don't use firefox. hth

Confirming this. I use firefox. In fact…

Binary Badger posted:

I only use Firefox if Safari or Chrome don't work for some benighted reason.

…I do the exact opposite: Safari or Chrome only if Firefox doesn't work. :haw:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

Firefox is fine (I use it myself) but Safari is also great and has tremendous benefits on MacOS

Yea, I use Safari unless I can't. My credit union, for example, has a fragile site that breaks on Safari updates.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

IUG posted:

Also, if you have a problem with volumes from different apps, consider SoundSource.

It will let you specify different volumes for different apps, vu meters in the menubar, and they have this Magic Boost feature that will improve the sound from your built in speakers.. $40 shareware though, but worth it IMHO if you do lotsa audio.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I use Safari mostly just to have parity with iOS but Chrome is good too and what I use when I’m on Windows.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I switched to firefox a few years ago but I'm thinking of going back to Safari because I can't get loving facebook messenger to work and I guess every browser just uses all resources all the time now.

Still like it on Windows though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I switched to firefox a few years ago but I'm thinking of going back to Safari because I can't get loving facebook messenger to work and I guess every browser just uses all resources all the time now.

Still like it on Windows though.

You can just download a Facebook messenger app by itself, either from Facebook or from any number of 3rd parties rolling their own. I've been using Caprine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Caprine is pretty good

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Fallom posted:

You can just download a Facebook messenger app by itself, either from Facebook or from any number of 3rd parties rolling their own. I've been using Caprine.

I'd never heard of this and it's excellent. Ta.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

This is not a problem that I've ever experienced in FF. Maybe an extension is bonching it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use Firefox on all of my machines. I liked that I could use Firefox Sync to 'Send Tab To...' a device. Apparently Chrome can do this now too. Well, Firefox has a more open extension ecosystem. Does Chrome still make you confirm on each start that you do want to load extensions not from their store that you installed in dev mode? Do they still not allow such sideloaded extensions to self-update? Chrome will happily let you install an arbitrary CA (as it should) but they think their store is the only source of safe extensions? I know, Apple thread, but it's different.

Guess could always use Chromium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I use Safari for everything I can (because as a dev I want to be sure I'm dogfooding and I know most users are going to be using vanilla OS-bundled apps, and also because I like having my web passwords integrated with the system keychain), but more and more Chrome just forces itself to be the only thing that can cope with my daily browsing life.

Safari handles atrociously with textarea fields with large amounts of data, for example. Put like 10K of data into a textarea and try to resize or search in it or edit the content and it just slows to a crawl. I tried reporting this as a bug when the loving thing was first launched in like 2003 or whatever and it has never gotten any better. Chrome though, it acts as snappy as TextEdit.

It's also super slow to do most dev stuff that requires a lot of interactive widgets. Ever try building a site using the Squarespace WYSIWYG editor? It's just torture in Safari. Chrome does just fine with it on my 2014 MBP, no matter how many dev tools and drag-and-drop real-time styling widgets I use.

It's also super painful trying to use Safari with the GSuite apps, like for work, because they insist on being wormed all the way into your browser for their ungodly SSO poo poo. I haven't been able to use Safari for work since they locked it all down.

Until just recently I've doggedly been using Safari to browse Something Awful, but I just can't anymore, because

a) WebP images are now being seamlessly supported by imgur, so people are posting them, and Safari users can't see them. I can't blame the posters because why the gently caress should they know or care, it's just an image and it works fine for them. Same goes for WebM videos and other media that Apple has decided to impose trade sanctions on like it's fuckin Cuba

b) When I go to the first unread post in a thread, the tweets expand and they hurl me to some unknown point in the thread and I can't find where I was. Chrome seems perfectly capable of going straight to the anchor point and god drat staying there.

The only thing left to me for Safari is my mac.com webmail (because of work policies I can't use Mail.app), and lately it has decided to get so buggy it won't load individual messages half the time and it hasn't had the pull-to-refresh gesture in like two years. Features keep disappearing every other month, like only about 10% of the time does the "click on the 'replied' arrow to see your reply" function do anything. It's like it's actively rotting in front of me.

Fuckin sucks because I hate Chrome so god drat much. And firefox lol no