Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The first translation was rough as hell, so thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Yeah, I figured the second one, and something to do with Annie's father. And while it's not totally necessary, we might also get a hint at who her real daddy might've been, but it might be a bit late for that. I remember some folks suspecting Kruger on that front.

It gets sketchier, since we saw the beginnings of a revolt against the guards, but none of the action. Assuming they managed to get to the sea or airships, they could run into Annie and the others on their way back to Paradis, providing the long awaited reunion between Annie and her father.

I won't claim to actually predict too much beyond that, but it seems pretty important to note that no-one on the ship is from the island. If I was going to try to gamble, though... this seems a good place to put a small scale version of the wider conflict, where Gabi, Falco, and Annie have to try to stop Marley's remaining forces from trying to wipe out Paradis in retribution.

(It'd also offer an obvious role for Historia as the protector of the unwanted as they wash up on Paradis's shore.)

Speaking on a broader scale, it's interesting the conflict the manga's currently running on a meta level, with the manga all but explicitly presenting two (apparently) contradictory thesis.

1) Eren can't be stopped, and will accomplish everything he set out to do.

2) Armin's going to be the one who saves the world.

I think, whatever else happens in the final requiem, we're going to have to see both of those fulfilled.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wonder if the afterlife thing is just symbolism or if they've now passed on to some ymir-formed realm because I can't trust this series to ever just have a scene be a scene for the sake of it

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Eej posted:

After all this time I'm still rootin' for Eren

Man, I stopped rooting for him a long time ago. There's only so much rope I can give for "bad childhood" and "protagonist."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder if the afterlife thing is just symbolism or if they've now passed on to some ymir-formed realm because I can't trust this series to ever just have a scene be a scene for the sake of it

Note that the "floor" of the afterlife is covered in titan footprints.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is there a way to turn off the flashing comments icon at the bottom? it's super distracting.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I kind of disliked that they showed this already. It takes a bit of the oomph out of everything happening. Everything else is so good though. I especially like that they're basically "winging" their plan at this point and we'll all learn together just wtf is going on and going to happen.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I also disliked it. Until now, in all these past volumes, dead people were dead and that's it. No even a glint of reason to think afterlife is objectively a thing in this world.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm still mad about Sasha 3 years later.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The order of pages should've been reversed, with Hange reuniting with Erwin going first intercut with her burning up, and the last page being a shot of gruesomely crushed remains while the plane flies off.

Isayama probably just wanted to give her a bit of a nicer send-off since she's such a beloved character, and unlike Sasha there was nobody there to witness it.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 8, 2020

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Sasha went to hell lol

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I mean technically they're all guilty of massacring tons of innocent people; titans can't really help themselves and the people stuck inside don't know what they're doing

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
All of my favourite characters have long brown hair and they're all loving dead :negative:

Eren is next

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, I also disliked it. Until now, in all these past volumes, dead people were dead and that's it. No even a glint of reason to think afterlife is objectively a thing in this world.

...Is this where I bring up the two thousand year old goddess who Eren's hanging out with right now?

Even taking the scenes of the survey corps's ghosts appearing to force the ones who came after them into action appearing as pure symbolism (fair enough on that), we know that Ymir Fritz's torture continued on long after her body was devoured. We also know that all her children to the hundredth generation have walked the same paths.

Considering everyone we see in the picture (including Sasha) is Eldian, (and no-one in the group we see is a Titan Shifter, whose wills seem to shadow the ones who take up their legacy) the metaphysics of the setting seem to line up with no issue.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 8, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
(this discussion should be spoilered)

Is Sasha in the picture?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

No Wave posted:

(this discussion should be spoilered)

Is Sasha in the picture?

Yes. She has her back turned.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

she's the only one wearing the Liberio attack gear

also I wouldn't mind hearing Erwin's thoughts on current events but I doubt we'll spend any time on that

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

...Is this where I bring up the two thousand year old goddess who Eren's hanging out with right now?

Even taking the scenes of the survey corps's ghosts appearing to force the ones who came after them into action appearing as pure symbolism (fair enough on that), we know that Ymir Fritz's torture continued on long after her body was devoured. We also know that all her children to the hundredth generation have walked the same paths.

Considering everyone we see in the picture (including Sasha) is Eldian, (and no-one in the group we see is a Titan Shifter, whose wills seem to shadow the ones who take up their legacy) the metaphysics of the setting seem to line up with no issue.

I'm fine with the idea overall, but I'd preferred it to be saved for the final chapter. The stakes have been raised extremely high up until this point, and knowing that Hange literally went to her peaceful afterlife undercuts some of that. It's like how death is so meaningless in DBZ from gross abuse of the wishes.

edited: meaningful into meaningless, huge difference

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 8, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm fine with the idea overall, but I'd preferred it to be saved for the final chapter. The stakes have been raised extremely high up until this point, and knowing that Hange literally went to her peaceful afterlife undercuts some of that. It's like how death is so meaningful in DBZ from gross abuse of the wishes.

Yeah, that's fair.

This is probably the best point to show it for Hange's story, but it makes future deaths among our protagonists sting a bit less, which can hurt the rest of the story overall.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Is there some reason to assume this is literally heaven as opposed to like, her dying thoughts/hallucination? That's what I took it as, not sure if I missed something or not.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

GodFish posted:

Is there some reason to assume this is literally heaven as opposed to like, her dying thoughts/hallucination?

None.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Yah it's definitely symbolic and not literally a ghost realm. Like Abbacchio's death scene in Jojo p5.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GodFish posted:

Is there some reason to assume this is literally heaven as opposed to like, her dying thoughts/hallucination? That's what I took it as, not sure if I missed something or not.

A couple.

First, we see Hange die of stomping before we see her with Erwin, but she still sees the plane fly away.

Second, we see Shadis there, who Hange didn't see die, or even hear about dying. The only person who saw him go was Magath, who wasn't exactly in any shape to tell people about it after.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What a heartwarming chapter!

Man finally got his drink.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I through this together in 5 minutes

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Link doesn't work for me. Anyone else?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Not working for me now, worked a few hours ago. Site could just be down.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nilbop posted:

Man, I stopped rooting for him a long time ago. There's only so much rope I can give for "bad childhood" and "protagonist."

Eldians are just a cursed existence and Eren's got the only way out, win or lose.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm kinda rooting for Eren/both sides taking each other out but that's because I'm a sucker for Greek tragedy.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Eej posted:

Eldians are just a cursed existence and Eren's got the only way out, win or lose.

I thought Zeke's plan was the best by far.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Link doesn't work for me. Anyone else?

Doesn't work for me either.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Might be because the official translation is up on Crunchyroll. You need premium to view though, not sure why they do that with simulpub chapters now.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

she's the only one wearing the Liberio attack gear

also I wouldn't mind hearing Erwin's thoughts on current events but I doubt we'll spend any time on that

Probably would've been impressed that they attacked the enemy capital and didn't sacrifice 99% of their troops in the process, his old go-to maneuver

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

GimmickMan posted:

I'm kinda rooting for Eren/both sides taking each other out but that's because I'm a sucker for Greek tragedy.

No matter what happens I'm fairly certain Eren gets exactly what he wants and is miserable for it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'm sure Isayama has the balls to have Eren "win".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm sure Isayama has the balls to have Eren "win".

That's one of the few guarantees we have. Grisha outright said that Eren will win, and most of the bits of ending foreshadowing we have (the last panel, Requiem) suggest that Eren will accomplish his main objectives.

The question isn't if he'll win, really. It's what Eren winning will look like.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Can Eren even lose now? If they manage to kill him I don’t remember there being any hint that that would stop the Rumbling. Mikasa talking him down is the only real thing they can hope for outside of some weird Zeke shenanigans.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I've said this before, but with how Annie's and Reiner's hardening also came undone when he released the wall titans, I believe the implication is Eren handed out his orders in an instant and in rather broad strokes, and it's likely the titans will continue on following whatever pattern he assigned for the Rumbling regardless of whatever else happens.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

I thought Zeke's plan was the best by far.

Outside of the part where it involves using mental coersion over an immortal slave woman to neuter her people, maybe we

It does however mean you are putting the punishment on the oppressed people and sacrificing them for the oppressor's sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eren's is the best because it's the only one that spares Historia and her unborn child.