Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They must be paying out of their rear end to insure these projects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I think that's the reason Cruise's been an executive producer since 2 or 3, he wanted to a do a bunch of near uninsurable poo poo so he just pays it himself

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’m still convinced Tom Cruise wants to die on camera.

Wasn’t he supposed to film in space for one of these new M:I movies?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mission Impossible 10
Tom Cruise jumps into a dumpster full of infected needles and biowaste and rolls around for a few minutes

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gonz posted:

That’s how you get to OT IX.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 7, 2020

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Fight scene filmed realtime on a Euthanasia Coaster.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

Wasn’t he supposed to film in space for one of these new M:I movies?

No, the space thing is an unrelated movie. Although he is making it with basically the same people.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

No, the space thing is an unrelated movie. Although he is making it with basically the same people.

Gravity 2: Tom Cruise Fights All The Space Junk.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Is there another series that's kept up its quality this many sequels in? poo poo the last two might be the best ones.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You sometimes get that on horror franchises. I'm of the opinion that all of the Friday the 13th movies are pretty bad but watchable at an equal level, and someone could probably tell me any one of them is their favorite of the franchise without me batting an eye, except maybe the boat one. By all accounts the Child's Play/Chucky movies have all kinda been great?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Chucky movies are definitely bad, but after a certain point they got super camp and kinda fun to watch.

Even the reboot, while fairly generic for most of the runtime, has its moments of genuinely entertaining schlock.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

You sometimes get that on horror franchises. I'm of the opinion that all of the Friday the 13th movies are pretty bad but watchable at an equal level, and someone could probably tell me any one of them is their favorite of the franchise without me batting an eye, except maybe the boat one. By all accounts the Child's Play/Chucky movies have all kinda been great?

Friday Part 6

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The first Child's Play is a solid horror flick, can't speak to the sequels or remake.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think the Child's Play films are largely pretty good.

Child's Play is a pretty solid film, with a fun concept and some pretty cool moments /effects. Child's Play 2 is a little less focused but has one hell of a cool climax. Child's Play 3 is, granted, pretty bad but still has some fun stuff (again, with a rad climax). Bride of Chucky is great, just so much fun from start to finish, Seed of Chucky isn't as good but is inventive and different and deserves more praise than it gets. Curse of Chucky is the loving best one and is the only entry that feels genuinely scary, and with Cult of Chucky I didn't quite buy the conceit but I thought it was well made. The reboot is okay I guess, but it didn't really take advantage of the AI thing imo.

All and all a solid series by my reckoning, I prefer them to the Fridays just because there's more variance in approach and tone, which makes a series watch through feel more interesting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Are the M:I plots still "Oh no, Cruise gets betrayed, and has to go on the run!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

Are the M:I plots still "Oh no, Cruise gets betrayed, and has to go on the run!"

I think so, I fell asleep for a decent portion of the recent one, because it was like 3 hours long.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
If he gets disavowed one more time he'll have enough stamps on his loyalty card for a free coffee

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Is there another series that's kept up its quality this many sequels in? poo poo the last two might be the best ones.

the Godzilla series really hit its peak in the third through sixth movies

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

he will likely be disavowed again because alec baldwin, his handler got killed in the last one

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm always amused when someone describes any entry from Friday the 13th as a good movie. They're enjoyable and nostalgic and "safe" in that you don't get suddenly surprised by rape or torture, you're having fun. But outside of a few novel ideas, let's not act like the first one is some sort of classic film. I honestly believe people insisting that haven't actually watched it in years. There are so many shots of a completely black screen with a single wildly swinging flashlight in the distance, and the Final Girl sequence is way too long with half of it too dark to see what the gently caress is going on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Davros1 posted:

You would think that after a certain point the people in charge would stop believing all these frame jobs.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

You would think that after a certain point the people in charge would stop believing all these frame jobs.

At least the last one came up with the rather fair point of "Given all the crap that keeps happening to this guy, sooner or later, he's going to crack".

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mi fallout was the one with the really good trailer music right

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You're thinking of the Limp Bizit theme from the second one.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Wasn't that the plot of the one with Alec Baldwin and Jeremy Renner in front of congress asking them about all the frame jobs? Naturally they solved it by setting up a frame job.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm always amused when someone describes any entry from Friday the 13th as a good movie. They're enjoyable and nostalgic and "safe" in that you don't get suddenly surprised by rape or torture, you're having fun. But outside of a few novel ideas, let's not act like the first one is some sort of classic film. I honestly believe people insisting that haven't actually watched it in years. There are so many shots of a completely black screen with a single wildly swinging flashlight in the distance, and the Final Girl sequence is way too long with half of it too dark to see what the gently caress is going on.

Yeah, the first one's a pretty naked attempt to just cash in on the then-new slasher trend. The second one's got some fun moments and I kind of love the third one? Like I admit it's a dogshit movie but I really enjoy it. Jason X I also kind of love just for how thoroughly it embraces it's terribleness and cheapness. It's like an episode of Lexx that Kane Hodder wanders into with a spacemachete via David Cronenberg.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Or they get MORE believable
Too much smoke man

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AceOfFlames posted:

At least the last one came up with the rather fair point of "Given all the crap that keeps happening to this guy, sooner or later, he's going to crack".

There's some real intelligence agency self-fulfilling prophecy poo poo in there. "Let's keep accusing this guy of being a bad guy until eventually he becomes one!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, the first one's a pretty naked attempt to just cash in on the then-new slasher trend. The second one's got some fun moments and I kind of love the third one? Like I admit it's a dogshit movie but I really enjoy it. Jason X I also kind of love just for how thoroughly it embraces it's terribleness and cheapness. It's like an episode of Lexx that Kane Hodder wanders into with a spacemachete via David Cronenberg.

Oh, there is plenty to love sprinkled throughout. Per your example, a lot of the 3D in part 3...D still looks amazing because they did it all by building sets and props at weird angles and different sizes in order to create the illusion.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Friday movies, within the context of other long horror franchises holds up pretty well. The Friday movies have a pretty set formula they don't really stray from and it works well enough.

Compared to say Nightmare which has 2 good movies and the rest are a mess.

Child's Play remake was disappointing because they really didn't do much with the AI idea or really anything else. Mark Hamill was cool as Chucky I guess.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

joylessdivision posted:

The Friday movies, within the context of other long horror franchises holds up pretty well. The Friday movies have a pretty set formula they don't really stray from and it works well enough.

And whenever they've tried to stray from that formula, it hasn't worked out. Just look at Jason Goes to Hell.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I'd argue that though the Friday films have a better sense of quality consistency between entries, the Nightmare films have way higher highs. The first one, Dream Warriors and New Nightmare are all better than any Friday film imo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And whenever they've tried to stray from that formula, it hasn't worked out. Just look at Jason Goes to Hell.

The problem is, they'll have a germ of a good idea, and instead of stopping there, go completely off the loving rails.

Jason Goes to Hell starts off with a SWAT team taking him down. There's your movie, right there. A tactical squad gets sent in to apprehend Jason, not knowing or believing what he's capable of. No body jumping worm, no Voorhees Curse.

It could've even led into Jason X. Jason's captured. Since he can't be killed, the plan is to freeze him. The military instead wants to exploit him. He escapes, and the military and scientists are trapped in a lockdowned facility while he's on the loose. No space, no androids, no nannites.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lobok posted:

There's some real intelligence agency self-fulfilling prophecy poo poo in there. "Let's keep accusing this guy of being a bad guy until eventually he becomes one!"

I'm surprised they haven't drawn from that well, yet, disavow him as a double agent.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just want to see my boy use random items to destroy people

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Karloff posted:

I'd argue that though the Friday films have a better sense of quality consistency between entries, the Nightmare films have way higher highs. The first one, Dream Warriors and New Nightmare are all better than any Friday film imo.

100% agree

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Davros1 posted:

No one watches the M:I movies for the plot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea people who praise Friday the 13th's consistency are coming from a place of experience with the lowest lows the slasher subgenre has to offer. So if you haven't seen all the Hellraiser sequels or Halloween Resurrection or Nightmare on Elm Street 5 and 6, you really don't understand the full context of the conversation. Friday the 13th maintains at least a middling level of quality across 10+ movies, while still managing to mix up the formula in some interesting ways.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Oh, there is plenty to love sprinkled throughout. Per your example, a lot of the 3D in part 3...D still looks amazing because they did it all by building sets and props at weird angles and different sizes in order to create the illusion.

Not sure if this is true but someone told me part 3 was never actually released in 3D, which makes all the "throwing things directly at the camera" shots that much funnier.

Karloff posted:

I'd argue that though the Friday films have a better sense of quality consistency between entries, the Nightmare films have way higher highs.

Oh definitely. That's what I'm saying about the F13 movies, like they're pretty bad but they're consistently bad but watchable. The first Nightmare movie is legit a pretty great movie. It doesn't give Halloween a run for its money but it's better than any actual Halloween sequel (argument to be made about Season of the Witch, but let's say that doesn't count as a sequel) and the vast majority of slashers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I love Jason goes to Hell because it is incredibly stupid and Creighton Duke is the best character added to the franchise since Tommy Jarvis.

I also loved Jason X but that one was basically "Friday the 13th but in space" which works if you're willing to accept the dumb premise and just enjoy the early 2000s trash that it is. Uber Jason isn't my favorite Jason design (Part 7 has the best looking hosed up Jason) but it's still awesome.

The only Friday sequels I struggle with are 3 and 8, mostly because so much of 3 is built around 3D effects shots that look dopey without the 3D and I loving hate Shelley. Obnoxious loving character.

8 is just boring as hell and wastes the majority of its runtime on a boat and then has a completely batshit ending that makes no sense. Also lazy Jason design after the amazing work done on the previous movie.