Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

savesthedayrocks posted:

Anyone have any experience with how Calloway pre owned handles damaged shipments? I just checked my tracking number and UPS said they would “notify the seller” but I haven’t heard anything.

Thought I was going to have a new putter tomorrow for our charity tournament, FML.

Contact them directly, they'll usually make good on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Petey posted:

I don’t know anything about PXG other than “monomaniacal founder and high prices” but a buddy just got a set so I set up a two hour fitting for next week just to see what they’re like. $50 (used to be free before the pandemic) so we'll see what it's like!

Irons are sweet af but I thought the woods were irredeemable garbage.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Everything you need to know is told in the story of how long pros tend to stay on contract with them and the success of the people who have been with them long-term.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Daric posted:

Everything you need to know is told in the story of how long pros tend to stay on contract with them and the success of the people who have been with them long-term.
Translation: PXG is trash

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
We still doing WITB?

Hate this bag but these are my clubs

Had to get a closeup of my girls Kat (56*) and Bianca (52*)

This is the new driver I got from Callaway Pre-Owned. Still need to clean some of the sticker gunk off the bottom but I just played a full round with it yesterday for the first time and was mashing consistent 280yd carries right down the middle. Love it already.

And my office club that I hit foam balls with while I'm stuck on call after call after call

Daric fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 3, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Daric posted:

We still doing WITB?

Hate this bag but these are my clubs

Had to get a closeup of my girls Kat (56*) and Bianca (52*)

This is the new driver I got from Callaway Pre-Owned. Still need to clean some of the sticker gunk off the bottom but I just played a full round with it yesterday for the first time and was mashing consistent 280yd carries right down the middle. Love it already.

And my office club that I hit foam balls with while I'm stuck on call after call after call

Nice man - I demoed that Epic Flash Sub Zero and had absolutely no luck hitting it consistently. But it was a beast when I got hold of one.

What app did you use to build that bag out? I'm getting ready to post my WITB and I'd like to do something like that as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kirios posted:

What app did you use to build that bag out? I'm getting ready to post my WITB and I'd like to do something like that as well.
I believe that's from TheGrint.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Alright, here's my bag. Still not quite completed, details below:

Driver - Cobra King F9 Speedback Black/Yellow - 9.0 degree. HZRDUS Smoke Black Stiff Flex shaft.

2 Hybrid - Cobra King F9 Hybrid. 17 degree. Stock shaft - stiff flex.

3 Hybrid - Cobra King F9 One Length Hybrid. 19 degree. Stock shaft - stiff flex.

4 Hybrid - Cobra King F9 One Length Hybrid. 21 degree. Stock shaft - stiff flex.

5i - GW - Cobra King F9 One Length Irons. Stock shafts - stiff flex.

SW - Cobra King Speedzone One Length Iron. Stock shaft - stiff flex.

LW - Cobra King One Length MIM Wedge. Stock shaft - stiff flex.

Putter - Odyssey EXO Seven.

Ball - Kirkland 3 Piece Ball

Not accurate picture (Grint doesn't have everything... :( ):

I loved the one length concept when I finally got around to swinging them. Since only Cobra is the major brand making those, I decided to go all in and have a full Cobra (sans putter) bag.My consistency has increased dramatically and with it my confidence. With the same swing and stiffer flex (Was using regular for the first set I ever bought as I had no idea what I was doing), I'm having more confidence swinging faster and my tempo has increased, and with it my distance.

I finally had the realization that I just cannot hit a proper fairway wood. I think my swing is too steep for it, as it's always been 50/50 whether I hit the ground first and it only carrying 170 yards versus hitting a proper 240 carry shot. I tried out a 2 hybrid and although I lost about 10 yards with it, the consistency is far superior. I've always hit hybrids really well so I decided to embrace the old man in me and I currently rock three hybrids. Eventually, when they go down in price, I may try the Cobra one length utility irons, as I've always hit irons very well...it may make more sense for me to go that route instead of three hybrids, but that's where I am right now.

In addition, I also use Arccos for my full bag (Everything sans the putter has it built into the grip). I love knowing my honest yards with it, and I've had fantastic success using it. Open the app before a round, keep it in your pocket, never touch it, and at the end of the round everything's been documented. After a few rounds I may post my Arccos stats so everyone can laugh at me, but for now I'm still trying to dial in my numbers with it.

So....yeah, here's what someone who has completely gone all in on one length's bag looks like!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Hey thanks for that. I’m intrigued by one length clubs so I appreciate it!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm sure I've posted enough of my clubs but hey, WITB

If you don't have a cool headcover on your drive do you really even golf??

Driver - Ping G410 LST 10.5 degree Oban Devotion Reserve 75g X shaft
3 Wood - TaylorMade M1 15 degree stock stiff shaft
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 Iron I do not remember what shaft is in this
4 - AW Nike Vapor Fly Pro irons
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54/58 degree Wedges
Taylormade Spider Tour Putter

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Hey Kirios — what made you decide on the F9 speedback rather than the Forged Tec Black One? Also, do you know if it is possible to get the shafts in x-stiff?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

WITB for my terrible rear end (handicap in the low 30s):

Cobra F9 driver with a HZRDUS smoke black stiff shaft
Cobra F9 3/5 woods both with Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7 stiff shafts (both +1.5* lofted)
4-AW TaylorMade M4 with whatever the standard steel regular shaft of the day was
52/56 Bombtech wedges
Some random MacGregor blade putter I found for $4.99 at play it again sports

The putter and wedges are the only things I'm not super thrilled with, but they work well enough for now until I know more of what I want. I've only been playing for slightly over a year now and still figuring out what I like.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m extremely interested in those one length clubs just for consistency’s sake, but I’m not entirely sure it’s a good idea to get used to something that could potentially just be a fad and come upgrade time be completely hosed

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
My swing was getting a little messed up from hitting indoors with a lowish ceiling. I am happy to report that once I setup my backyard cage I am now striking my irons better and more consistently after just a couple of weeks then I ever have before. I think it also helped that I have some vintage Walter Hagen blades that I started hitting each session to really force the necessity of center strikes.

I also came across a lesson on YouTube where the instructor or the person who took the instruction talked about how important it is to hit into a net when working on your swing and contact because you might actually get distracted by the full ballflight on the range and start to make unnecessary adjustments rather than working on what you're supposed to be working on for the session. I could not agree more. 70s, I'm comming for you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m playing Friday, first time in 2 months. Excited to try out my 3 wood with overpriced reshaft and putter with new crooked grip. :v:
It rained last night so the course was cart path only. No roll on tee shots and a couple embedded balls. I hit the first 11 greens and didn't make a birdie, went on walkabout for a few holes, then finished up with more GIRs and no birdies. I didn't quite get it to hole high on a 280 yd par 4 so my speed on the course is still lacking.

The slightly crooked putter grip was, as expected, mostly okay.

The bigger problem is that I don't like my reshafted 3 wood. It feels really heavy which doesn't make any sense because both it and the old shaft (which I tested in my 5 wood) are both Diamana 80X. I hesitate to switch back because the 5 wood performed really well: two bunts on long par 3's and a 2nd shot into a par 5. However, I use my 3 wood more so that will have to be the priority.

Really I just need to spend some time at the range fiddling around with the shafts and see if I can figure out a solution that won't require me to spend more money. :homebrew:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 5, 2020

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Josh Lyman posted:

see if I can figure out a solution that won't require me to spend more money. :homebrew:

This is golf. Such a thing does not exist.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Petey posted:

Hey Kirios — what made you decide on the F9 speedback rather than the Forged Tec Black One? Also, do you know if it is possible to get the shafts in x-stiff?

I was able to get the 5i-GW + 4 hybrid one length for 300 dollars at my local club. I traded in my old M3 irons for 280 and ended up paying 20 bucks for everything. The black forged tec are gorgeous, yeah, but it was a really cheap way for me to try out one length. Assuming I continue to love the concept of it (and thus far I'm a huge fan), I'll go with something with a little more work-ability next time.

You can get the shafts in x-stiff, but I didn't want to go straight to x-stiff from regular (again, massive mistake for me to get regular flex initially). My next irons will probably be x-stiff as my game improves.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 5, 2020

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

see if I can figure out a solution that won't require me to spend more money. :homebrew:

ahahahahahaha

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Josh Lyman posted:

new thread title

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Going out on a limb here, but DJ is the best golfer in the world right now, and it ain't that close.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Going out on a limb here, but DJ is the best golfer in the world right now, and it ain't that close.

Considering he's literally the number one golfer in the world right now you may have a point.

Let's just see if he goes on a ski trip in the next few months.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

Considering he's literally the number one golfer in the world right now you may have a point.

Let's just see if he goes on a ski trip in the next few months.

Hey, the number one being the best is not a perfect correlation. DJ is just not having a bad round, let alone tourny, right now.

Best part? He makes Koepka look like a slow player everywhere but the green, and he's just average speed on the green.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’ve been eagerly awaiting the new Titleist woods to upgrade from my 915D3 but this... this is half assing the Callaway look which Titleist players don’t want anyway.

https://twitter.com/mygolfspy/status/1302734765557264385?s=21

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Well, I just broke my 6 iron right at the connector to the club head. It wasn't even on a bad shot! I didn't feel the ground or anything, but the ball went about 70 yards and the head about 120. Now I have to wait three weeks for a 6 iron - FML.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Kirios posted:

Well, I just broke my 6 iron right at the connector to the club head. It wasn't even on a bad shot! I didn't feel the ground or anything, but the ball went about 70 yards and the head about 120. Now I have to wait three weeks for a 6 iron - FML.

You can't just have it re-shafted? Or is that how long it's going to take to get a new one-length shaft that fits it?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

From what I understood the way it broke off it would be next to impossible to reshaft it. I'm sure it being one length doesn't help matters either. Oh well, I'll have to learn to play a soft 5 iron.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kirios posted:

From what I understood the way it broke off it would be next to impossible to reshaft it. I'm sure it being one length doesn't help matters either. Oh well, I'll have to learn to play a soft 5 iron.

You should go the opposite way and just blast 7 irons!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Kirios posted:

Have a picture? As long as nothing on the head broke I don’t understand how it couldn’t be reshafted, but I’m not a complete expert on that.

In other news, might sell some whiskey and buy a g400 driver, after my failure to do so about a month ago.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

Have a picture? As long as nothing on the head broke I don’t understand how it couldn’t be reshafted, but I’m not a complete expert on that.

In other news, might sell some whiskey and buy a g400 driver, after my failure to do so about a month ago.
At this point I would wait to demo the new G425

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
It actually means it's time to load up on customized Ping 410 series stuff at a discount (if one was looking to blow up their bag).

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Keyser_Soze posted:

It actually means it's time to load up on customized Ping 410 series stuff at a discount (if one was looking to blow up their bag).

Do you guys keep track of ping prices? They just dropped price on the G400 drivers like a month ago, eBay prices are actually as high or higher than retail currently. They don’t discount on the same cadence that TM does.

I’m getting more frugal as I get older, but I’m interested in the G400 cause it’s currently $250, while the 410s are still $400. And they are unlikely to drop $150 when the g400 just dropped that far like a month ago.

All you Richie riches in here :). After all, going from my G15 to the G400 I’ll already be like an 8 year jump in tech! And lay off, I like the color/look of the g400 better than the 410 lol.

All is moot if I don’t sell some whiskey first, time to get busy!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah i'm still sitting on my set of G15s too lol

at some point i'm sure i'll step up but it's hard to argue with what's been working so far

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

DoctaFun posted:

Do you guys keep track of ping prices? They just dropped price on the G400 drivers like a month ago, eBay prices are actually as high or higher than retail currently. They don’t discount on the same cadence that TM does.

I’m getting more frugal as I get older, but I’m interested in the G400 cause it’s currently $250, while the 410s are still $400. And they are unlikely to drop $150 when the g400 just dropped that far like a month ago.

All you Richie riches in here :). After all, going from my G15 to the G400 I’ll already be like an 8 year jump in tech! And lay off, I like the color/look of the g400 better than the 410 lol.

All is moot if I don’t sell some whiskey first, time to get busy!

IME, Ebay is great for selling but meh for buying. I'd almost rather buy used from a golf forum goon at this point unless the Ebay auction is clearly from an actual owner-nerd/user/put some effort in/has receipts over some bulk reseller with some dark fuzzy pics. When I sell my clubs on Ebay I go "Bring a Trailer" type ad effort in details/pics/receipts and price it reasonably.

I also don't think you can get the custom build options on the G400's anymore, but if you can track down at an online shop the loft/stock shaft/flex you can live with go for it. Also, at $250, you could still put in your desired shaft/grip and come out ahead possibly over a 410 ordered to spec.

It's why I loaded up on G400's in Jan 2019 when the G410's came out....the 400's were discounted but Ping was still producing them, a lot of shaft upgrades were still free or like $20, and you could order the length/grip/wraps as you wanted and the clubs would come right from Ping with the transaction "brokered" though whatever website you purchased through (Discount Dans, TGW, GolfDiscount, etc). Discount Dan's has by far the best deals by a mile (think $50 less then the others and no tax) but you have to call them.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 8, 2020

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My Mizuno irons bought from eBay were brand new, matched the specs exactly, and came with one more club than the listing said, for like 60% msrp. Ebay rocks. But I definitely go through stuff I want to buy very carefully and don’t pull the trigger if anything looks suspect. Buying used stuff from GolfWRX has been hit or miss for me but I’ve never had to actually return an item or try to get a refund on any golf purchase other than 1 order of balls from lostgolfballs where they obviously sent me the wrong grade of balls and they made it right with no fuss.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

My Mizuno irons bought from eBay were brand new, matched the specs exactly, and came with one more club than the listing said, for like 60% msrp. Ebay rocks. But I definitely go through stuff I want to buy very carefully and don’t pull the trigger if anything looks suspect. Buying used stuff from GolfWRX has been hit or miss for me but I’ve never had to actually return an item or try to get a refund on any golf purchase other than 1 order of balls from lostgolfballs where they obviously sent me the wrong grade of balls and they made it right with no fuss.
What have your misses on GolfWRX been?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

A couple used clubs that were described as being in better condition than they were and had pictures that were obviously taken in a way to not show some scratches and wear spots. One where the grip was not midsize despite the listing saying it was. It’s been more good transactions than bad for sure though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

A couple used clubs that were described as being in better condition than they were and had pictures that were obviously taken in a way to not show some scratches and wear spots. One where the grip was not midsize despite the listing saying it was. It’s been more good transactions than bad for sure though.

Same. One bad batch from lostgolfballs that was immediately made right. Opposite, got one used hybrid with a midsized grip instead of regular.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/GOLF_com/status/1303458035088711680

This honestly was probably about as good a solution as they were going to get for the Masters, especially when sunset in November in Georgia is going to be like 5:20PM anyway.

E:

Seth McManus of CBS posted:

We obviously worked really closely with the NFL, the management of Augusta National, including chairman Fred Ridley, and the folks at the SEC for Saturday. Going to Sunday first, we were fortunate that the NFL accommodated us and gave us only late games on the Sunday of the Masters, so we were able to do approximately what we did this past year, come on the air at 9 o’clock and finish by approximately 2:30 or 2:45 and then go right into NFL football.

Likewise, with our Saturday coverage of the Masters, the SEC accommodated us and moved the start time to 6 p.m. so we can get off the air with Masters coverage on Saturday at around 5:30.””The word ‘partner’ is thrown around a lot in this industry, but I think this was really a good example of partnership; everyone gave a little bit at the office to accommodate this. And I think it’s just going to be an amazing week for CBS Sports.

And I think the NFL will be helped by the lead-in the Masters will give it in our 4:05 window, which is good for the NFL. And I think our Alabama-LSU game that Saturday will benefit greatly by having a Masters lead-in. And I think the Masters will do really well being on this high-profile weekend, having NFL coverage follow it and having Alabama-LSU follow it.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Met a woman that makes custom headcovers. She can find material to use if you want, but I sent her this old jersey I had:

and she made this:

Super happy with it. It even has some kind of liner on the inside so it's tighter than it looks and holds onto the driver like any store-bought headcover should. Works much better than the expensive Husky headcover I bought for my 3-wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat, that's awesome as hell