Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

PeterWeller posted:

The ornithopters' wings are articulated, but they don't flap to generate lift. They can just be adjusted into different configurations for different situations and needs. It's like a more complex version of the swing wing designs on some supersonic fighters and bombers.

Bugblatter posted:

The book specifically mentions Paul and other pilots adjusting the speed of the flapping in a few points though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

and yet it also mentions jet engines

all of these technologies would be as advanced to them as a copper knife is to us

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Oh dang. I did not remember that. I remembered Paul adjusting the wings, but not the flapping.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 7, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I came all the way from Caladan and boy are my arms tired!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

I came all the way from Caladan and boy are my arms tired!

You will be taken from here and brought to the prison planet of Selusa Secundus, there to live out the remainder of your natural life.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Oh boy, I'm just so tired of all these DUNCs.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

We have just folded space from SA. Many shitposts on SA. New shitposts. :v:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arglebargle III posted:

You will be taken from here and brought to the prison planet of Selusa Secundus, there to live out the remainder of your natural life.

I gotta tell ya, you House Corrino folk are a real tough crowd.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

and yet it also mentions jet engines

all of these technologies would be as advanced to them as a copper knife is to us

Modern helicopters have rotary blades to keep it aloft, and jet engines to make them go fast.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

GORDON posted:

Modern helicopters have rotary blades to keep it aloft, and jet engines to make them go fast.

Do they actually use the jets for forward thrust? I thought they just used jet turbines to power the rotors the way an M1 uses a jet turbine to drive its treads.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
But will the film have chairdogs?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lord Krangdar posted:

But will the film have chairdogs?

Not much, what's chairdog with you?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trailer when

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tomorrow apparently.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Tomorrow apparently.

Want it now! :mad: I'm so excited!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Reminder than in Chapterhouse Dune we learn that nobody in the Dune setting wears deoderant.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The old spice must not flow I guess

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

For service to the thread I appoint you Chevalier-Duke of the Imperial Legion. You will report to the prison planet of Selusa Secundus, there to live out the remainder of your natural life.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m on a worm.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Tomorrow

https://twitter.com/TwitterMovies/status/1303362571450421250

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 8, 2020

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
i heard there’s gonna be an ordos easter egg

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That brief taste of the score is very good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

STOP HURTING ME

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Hearing someone besides Brad Dourif recite the mentat mantra is going to be off-putting and loving wild.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Mentat mantra is not in the books

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a hard time coming to grips with the fact I live in a world that has trailers for trailers.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Hearing someone besides Brad Dourif recite the mentat mantra is going to be off-putting and loving wild.

That was made up just for the Lynch movie as a clever info dump so the viewer understands what the weirdo sipping juice is up to. No reason for it to be in this movie at all.

edit: obviously beaten but I'll add the little manta beats the poo poo out of yet another voice-over whispering something like "I will now drink my speed juice and be smart as gently caress"

Rando fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 8, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cool video of Timothee Chalament reciting the litany against fear as he struggles on an outdoor toilet.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rando posted:

I have a hard time coming to grips with the fact I live in a world that has trailers for trailers.

The hype must flow.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hakkesshu posted:

Really? So far, so Zimmer.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The whole juice thing is an exaggeration from the books as well, Piter drinks it but it’s not because its a mentat thing, its because the Baron seeks out people who have easy control levers and Piter being an addict makes him easy to control.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just saw the opening U.S. weekend figures for Tenet and lol, It would be so stupid to still release DUNE in theaters only in December.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Eason the Fifth posted:

Bravo

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PeterWeller posted:

Do they actually use the jets for forward thrust? I thought they just used jet turbines to power the rotors the way an M1 uses a jet turbine to drive its treads.

I was about to say "Yeppers," because I saw them up close for years and always assumed they were for forward thrust. But I just googled it and, apparently, no, they don't. They are the power plant for the props, like you said. So I stand corrected.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Cry Havoc posted:

i heard there’s gonna be an ordos easter egg

having the ordos in there could've been interesting...

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It helps to remind yourself that all helicopters work on the theory that the helicopter is too stupid to know it shouldn't work, and must be distracted from all times from realizing the unnatural state of it's existence, least it return to it's natural resting state of "lying at the bottom of a burning crater".

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm going to be disappointed if somebody doesn't immediately re-score the trailer with the Dune 2 music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGCZ4dASNuA

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mulva posted:

It helps to remind yourself that all helicopters work on the theory that the helicopter is too stupid to know it shouldn't work, and must be distracted from all times from realizing the unnatural state of it's existence, least it return to it's natural resting state of "lying at the bottom of a burning crater".
Fixed-winger in our midst!

(The version I heard was: the only reason helicopters can fly is that they're so ugly, the ground pushes them away.)

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I already couldn’t help but be disappointed that it’s not the theme from Lynch’s. This is gonna be tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hans Zimmer... is good