Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Last week's Western & Southern Open, normally held in and referred to as Cincinnati, is a major tournament for both the men and women. It was moved to the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis CenterTM where the US Open is held so there would only have to have one bubble. Notably, the tournament used Hawkeye instead of line judges for all courts which worked great and helped speed up matches since there were no challenges, but they're bringing back line judges for the 2 showcourts during the US Open because... reasons? Probably because the tournament director is siphoning from the funds used to pay the line judges.

On the men's side, Roger Federer is out recovering from knee surgery and Rafael Nadal isn't playing due to general coronavirus concerns, so Novak Djokovic is the presumptive favorite to win his 18th slam and close the gap to Federer's 20 and Nadal's 19. However, there's a theory that without Roger and Rafa to "clear out" their sections of the draw, Djokovic's counterpunching style could fall to an aggressive player that gains steam who would normally be knocked out by Roger or Rafa.

On the women's side, 27 of the top 100 aren't playing including world #1 Ashleigh Barty, world #2 Simona Halep, and world #6 and defending champion Bianca Andreescu. Serena Williams continues her quest to win a 24th slam to tie Margaret Court and this is her best chance given the pathetic field. Naomi Osaka could stop her, but Osaka pulled out of the Cincinnati final on Saturday due to a tweaked hamstring. We'll have to hope her first few matches are quick victories so she can recover. Kim Clijsters has unretired so maybe she can pull something off, though she pulled out of Cincinnati with an ab strain.

https://www.usopen.org/index.html

TV coverage is on ESPN/ESPN2/WatchESPN. The US Open also has complete radio coverage available on their website and app.

Draws
Men: https://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/2020_MS_draw.pdf
Women: https://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/2020_WS_draw.pdf

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites
Novak Djokovic 4/5
Daniil Medvedev 6/1
Dominic Thiem 8/1
Stefanos Tsitsipas 8/1
Milos Raonic 16/1
Roberto Bautista-Agut 22/1
Alexander Zverev 25/1
Matteo Berrettini 33/1

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites
Naomi Osaka 11/2
Serena Williams 11/2
Karolina Pliskova 12/1
Sofia Kenin 16/1
Petra Kvitová 18/1
Aryna Sabalenka 20/1
Garbine Muguruza 20/1
Elise Mertens 22/1
Jennifer Brady 22/1
Johanna Konta 22/1
Madison Keys 22/1
Victoria Azarenka 22/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Glad tennis is back but hopefully it doesn't get someone killed because we can't do anything to stop spreading Covid. Benoit Paire tested positive while in the bubble so you know it's not a great sign. Also outside of the tournament, the male players seem to be trying to get a union going but not everyone is onboard. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out since it's spearheaded by Djokovic and mostly opposed by Federer, Nadal, and somewhat Murray.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Josh Lyman posted:

Notably, the tournament used Hawkeye instead of line judges for all courts which worked great and helped speed up matches since there were no challenges, but they're bringing back line judges for the 2 showcourts during the US Open because... reasons? Probably because the tournament director is siphoning from the funds used to pay the line judges.

I'm conflicted on this one, I liked the mild drama around challenges and also line judges having jobs, but the automatic linecalls do work really well. And players just accept them. Like a call goes against them but there's nothing they can do about it so they instantly just move on.

Anyway I'm watching the Vondrousova match to start with. The absolutely dead atmosphere is a bummer, but oh well.

On the bright side EurosportPlayer is now at 60fps? A pleasant surprise. (edit: maybe not 60... not sure, but clearly higher/smoother than it used to be in any case)

I hope Clijsters can do something here. I watched her comeback match earlier this year (where she lost to Muguruza) and was instantly reminded of how beautiful her game is.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 31, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There’s definitely a 50-year-old ball boy on one of the outer courts.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

There’s definitely a 50-year-old ball boy on one of the outer courts.

Think I just spotted him. Schwartzman/Norrie match, right?

First-week court-hopping is always lots of fun.

edit: The added crowd noise on the show courts sucks. I'd rather have no atmosphere than fake atmosphere.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 31, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kerber looked good in her win. Should’ve put money on her as my 3rd choice to win (after Osaka and Serena) to win instead of Pliskova, what a waste of money.

Lol n/m Pliskova won the 2nd set 6-0 in 21 minutes. Kerber’s odds were 40-1 compared to 10-1 for Pliskova though.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 31, 2020

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Schwartzman sure hosed that one up. Norrie pretty thoroughly trounced him in sets 3 and 4, which he should not have been able to do. :britain:

Anderson-Zverev is an exciting matchup for round 1, it's been pretty good so far.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So cool watching all the other players watching Murray Nishioka in the 5th.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yesterday was absolutely devastating in the women's draw. #1 Pliskova lost 1 and 6, #11 Rybakina lost 5 and 1, #12 Vondrousova lost 1 and 2, #19 Yastremska lost 2 and 3. Meanwhile Osaka absolutely shitwrecked Giorgi 1 and 2.

Serena still needs to play herself into form. Not much of an opponent tonight in Gasparyan but we'll see.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Tsitsipas really choked the forth set away. I don't know how he did that.

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy. Run along now.
please dq djokovic for the sake of mankind

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Amazing!

Well deserved dq too.
:cheers:

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

hurray!

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Get hosed Djoko :dance:

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

This angle is the best.

https://twitter.com/thehojo/status/1302699861796630535

Whoops!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

fancyclown posted:

Get hosed Djoko :dance:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Djokovic did an interview after a match earlier this week where he said something along the lines of all we can do is prepare our best, the rest of up to God. Welp...

I hate the articles saying he did it out of anger. It clearly seems like he’s hitting the ball back toward the ball kid. The linesman also overreacted, like she got shot.

(I lost $100 I bet on him to win pre-tournament :smith: )

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

He could have killed the lady.

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

he probably infected her with covid-19 too, way to go

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

If you go frame by frame in the replay you can see Djokovic's eye enlarge when he realises he hosed up.

Josh Lyman posted:

The linesman also overreacted, like she got shot.

Djoko didn't hit the ball lightly and he got her right in the throat. Any hit there is going to hurt.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Josh Lyman posted:

I hate the articles saying he did it out of anger. It clearly seems like he’s hitting the ball back toward the ball kid.

They do that a) when they know they're looking, b) in the direction of the ball boy and c) much less hard

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah you can see the progression on his face as he goes from "everything's fine" to "oh poo poo she's hurt" to "oh poo poo I'm out of the tournament". It seems more like carelessness and bad luck than any kind of anger. More stupidity than anything else.

I'm pretty happy to see him go and to get a new champion, but I would have preferred it if he'd lost a tennis match and no-one got hurt.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Xabi posted:

He could have killed the lady.

:hmmyes:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh here is the thread

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Lol Djoker

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

What is going on with Kenin. She looks on the verge of tears the entire match.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
It's normal for her. I think she was actually crying during the last set of her Aus Open win

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Screama posted:

It's normal for her. I think she was actually crying during the last set of her Aus Open win
Kenin said she cried before every match of the AO this year

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Just popping in to laugh at Djokovic again.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Xabi posted:

Just popping in to laugh at Djokovic again.

Thanks for reminding me.

lmao

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Djokovic hit that ball 2 inches to the left and missed, would he still be DQ'd

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If Djokovic hit that ball 2 inches to the left and missed, would he still be DQ'd

no

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Good win tonight by Osaka. Brady looked great but I think nerves got to her.

The commentators are already starting with the “MOMS MOMS MOMS” hype for Azerenka/Williams match. :rolleyes:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Serena is going to be stuck on 23 forever.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Zverev is hopeless. I don't like him but it's kind of sad to watch someone drop the ball this dramatically on such a big opportunity. I hope this ends in straights cause I'm staying up for the Medvedev/Thiem match and I'd like to maybe get at least some sleep afterwards.

Sodium Chloride posted:

Serena is going to be stuck on 23 forever.

Probably, but to be fair she doesn't actually need 24 to be greater than Court.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Watching Zverev is making me upset. It's a slam final, everyone left is beatable and it's like he doesn't even want to be there.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
reminder that thiem opposed giving corona relief to players outside the top 100 because according to him they don't give enough for the sport

oliwan fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Yeah that was gross and soured me on Thiem. Hopefully Medvedev wins this thing.