Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I'm planning on upgrading from a 1080Ti to the 3080 once it's available. Right now I'm using an NCase m1 and I ended up having to do the deshroud/Accelero III + bottom fans thing to get the temps decent and I don't really feel like loving around with that again and am thinking of just going with a bigger case. I know it's sort of a subjective criteria but any suggestions for a case that's big enough to not have to worry about doing finicky extra poo poo to keep temps manageable? Only requirement is it's a foot tall or under so it'll fit in my shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sphyre posted:

I downsized my system from an O11 Dynamic to an NR200:

(this picture really undersells how wide the O11 dynamic is! the nr200 is smaller than it looks i swear!!)

Then use a regular sized 12oz can as your scale reference!

garfield hentai posted:

I'm planning on upgrading from a 1080Ti to the 3080 once it's available. Right now I'm using an NCase m1 and I ended up having to do the deshroud/Accelero III + bottom fans thing to get the temps decent and I don't really feel like loving around with that again and am thinking of just going with a bigger case. I know it's sort of a subjective criteria but any suggestions for a case that's big enough to not have to worry about doing finicky extra poo poo to keep temps manageable? Only requirement is it's a foot tall or under so it'll fit in my shelves.

I'd wait to see. Get the card you want, see if it works well in your M1, then decide what to do. Worst case is you have to wait for a new chassis to show up after you already have the card. Assuming you're happy with your M1, this seems like the most reasonable play.

I'm optimistic about M1 temperatures with bottom intakes on a 3080FE. The AIB cards look like they'll be a pain in the dick to deal with, but the FE is an almost shroudless design. It should respond to high ambient airflow really well.

I hope. I have almost no expertise with cooler design, but that's my intuition.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
One more related question - it looks like the recommended PSU for the 3080 is a 750w and I have the Corsair SF600. Any recommendations for an appropriate SFF PSU? PCPP isn't showing anything at all when filtering 750w+ and MiniITX although I know they exist, and while the SF750 seems like the most straightforward choice since it's just a higher wattage version of what I have it's $300 on Newegg which seems like an awful lot for a PSU.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Bear in mind that the 3080 will probably have like 25% higher power consumption out of the box than the 1080ti. I have a feeling ampere's going to be rough on people accustomed to cramming top of the stack gpus in very small spaces with relatively quiet performance.

I've already talked myself down to a 3070 after the 3080 briefly made me consider a custom loop over air.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

Sphyre posted:

I downsized my system from an O11 Dynamic to an NR200:

(this picture really undersells how wide the O11 dynamic is! the nr200 is smaller than it looks i swear!!)

NR200 looks great - quite jealous. Out of curiosity, how did you end up getting yours? I had originally pre-ordered through Amazon but gave up after they delayed it a month or so. Doesn't look like it's in stock anywhere right now, either. Frustrating given it looks like such a cool little box!

garfield hentai posted:

One more related question - it looks like the recommended PSU for the 3080 is a 750w and I have the Corsair SF600. Any recommendations for an appropriate SFF PSU? PCPP isn't showing anything at all when filtering 750w+ and MiniITX although I know they exist, and while the SF750 seems like the most straightforward choice since it's just a higher wattage version of what I have it's $300 on Newegg which seems like an awful lot for a PSU.

I'd shop around a bit - you can find the SF750 for a decent price if you can grab it at non-scalper prices. I pre-ordered one from BLT for about ~$190, which seems to oddly have very good prices on Corsair PSUs - https://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=011003501503_B6LA528P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID! - looks like the ones coming in this week were just scooped up, but they seem to get them in pretty regularly. I also got my SF600 from BLT through the same method for a decent price, so it seems like they're a good way to go if you don't need it right away. Buying a PSU right now seems like a very weird process, so it seems like you need to go a bit further afield than Newegg or Amazon to get a decent price for one that's really in demand.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Kikuchiyo posted:

I'd shop around a bit - you can find the SF750 for a decent price if you can grab it at non-scalper prices. I pre-ordered one from BLT for about ~$190, which seems to oddly have very good prices on Corsair PSUs - https://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=011003501503_B6LA528P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID! - looks like the ones coming in this week were just scooped up, but they seem to get them in pretty regularly. I also got my SF600 from BLT through the same method for a decent price, so it seems like they're a good way to go if you don't need it right away. Buying a PSU right now seems like a very weird process, so it seems like you need to go a bit further afield than Newegg or Amazon to get a decent price for one that's really in demand.

I'll keep this in mind, thanks. If I don't have any luck though, are there any other ones worth considering? Also reiterating my previous question about a bigger case that's =<12" tall - if the M1 ends up being too much a pain in the rear end with the 3080 GPU cooling, a bigger case might take a non-SFF PSU and this would be moot.

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 7, 2020

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

garfield hentai posted:

I'll keep this in mind, thanks. If I don't have any luck though, are there any other ones worth considering? Also reiterating my previous question about a bigger case that's =<12" tall - if the M1 ends up being too much a pain in the rear end with the 3080 GPU cooling, a bigger case might take a non-SFF PSU and this would be moot.

Seems like people like the Seasonic SGX-650, but it's not that big a leap from the SF600. I think SilverStone has some big SFX power supplies, but not sure how good they are (and I think the warranties aren't nearly as strong as Corsair/Seasonic). Pretty lean selection for SFX power supplies over 650 watts from what I can tell!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

garfield hentai posted:

Unless you're also running an overclocked 10900k, your 600W PSU will be perfectly fine for a 3080.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

garfield hentai posted:

Depending on your CPU, an SF600 will probably be fine. nVidia's recommendations are always extremely conservative because they don't know what CPU you're using or the quality of your PSU. I believe they recommend a 550W+ for a 2070S, but IIRC many 2070S systems are actually pulling under 400W under load. I'd at least wait until we see real world power draw numbers before looking to replace a quality PSU like the SF600.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

garfield hentai posted:

Keep in mind that PSU's are roughly as vaporware as GPUs right now, and HEAVILY inflated as a result. I'm also on an SF600, and I do have major reservations about power draw with the 3080, but only at the extreme end of the equation. I could certainly overdraw if I redline my CPU (300W in P95 AVX) and the GPU at the same time. In reality, this is unlikely to ever happen.

I really stick by my judgement if you want to buy on launch day: get what you want now, then fill in the cheaper parts as reviews come out and you get a better sense of your requirements. The GPU is your cornerstone part, so building everything out from there is a perfectly reasonable stance. You already have a functioning machine--if you didn't these questions would be more important, but with a spare card on hand you have a lot of flexibility to leave the new GPU on the shelf until you have everything just so.

In my case, if power is a problem I'll drop my CPU overclock (which in practice tops out at around 230W in a day-to-day gaming load, not power virus testing) until I can get an SF750 at a reasonable price. I can also undervolt the 3080 to save some temperature and wattage while I wait for a water block and PSU to become available.

edit: forgetting that Corsair doesn't have a 650.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 8, 2020

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Kikuchiyo posted:

NR200 looks great - quite jealous. Out of curiosity, how did you end up getting yours? I had originally pre-ordered through Amazon but gave up after they delayed it a month or so. Doesn't look like it's in stock anywhere right now, either. Frustrating given it looks like such a cool little box!

This won't be helpful at all but for some reason there's plentiful stock of them over here in New Zealand

(also explains the non standard coke can size :sweatdrop:)

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Sphyre posted:

This won't be helpful at all but for some reason there's plentiful stock of them over here in New Zealand

Ah, makes sense! Was just making sure there wasn’t some mystery source I was missing. Enjoy the NR200 and your mini coke!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sphyre posted:

:hmmyes: Ah, you're from someplace sensible. Nevermind, can comment retracted.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Splinter posted:

Depending on your CPU, an SF600 will probably be fine. nVidia's recommendations are always extremely conservative because they don't know what CPU you're using or the quality of your PSU. I believe they recommend a 550W+ for a 2070S, but IIRC many 2070S systems are actually pulling under 400W under load. I'd at least wait until we see real world power draw numbers before looking to replace a quality PSU like the SF600.

Warmachine posted:

Keep in mind that PSU's are roughly as vaporware as GPUs right now, and HEAVILY inflated as a result. I'm also on an SF600, and I do have major reservations about power draw with the 3080, but only at the extreme end of the equation. I could certainly overdraw if I redline my CPU (300W in P95 AVX) and the GPU at the same time. In reality, this is unlikely to ever happen.

I really stick by my judgement if you want to buy on launch day: get what you want now, then fill in the cheaper parts as reviews come out and you get a better sense of your requirements. The GPU is your cornerstone part, so building everything out from there is a perfectly reasonable stance. You already have a functioning machine--if you didn't these questions would be more important, but with a spare card on hand you have a lot of flexibility to leave the new GPU on the shelf until you have everything just so.

In my case, if power is a problem I'll drop my CPU overclock (which in practice tops out at around 230W in a day-to-day gaming load, not power virus testing) until I can get an SF750 at a reasonable price. I can also undervolt the 3080 to save some temperature and wattage while I wait for a water block and PSU to become available.

edit: forgetting that Corsair doesn't have a 650.

How accurate is the calculator over at https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator? I put in my specs (3080, i5 8600k, 2 8GB DDR4 sticks, hard drives, etc) and it's giving me a load wattage of 601W with a recommended 650W PSU. Although as you've both said the "wait and see" method is probably the most sensible, with the 750SF's limited availability it might make sense to jump on it when it's available for a not heavily inflated price if this calculator is actually reliable.

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 8, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

garfield hentai posted:

How accurate is the calculator over at https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator? I put in my specs (3080, i5 8600k, 2 8GB DDR4 sticks, hard drives, etc) and it's giving me a load wattage of 601W with a recommended 650W PSU. Although as you've both said the "wait and see" method is probably the most sensible, with the 750SF's limited availability it might make sense to jump on it when it's available for a not heavily inflated price if this calculator is actually reliable.

The only place that you'll see a SF750 for a not-inflated price is Corsair's website. I didn't put it in my post, but that's where I got my SF600 from and I'd recommend setting up a notification for when they come into stock if that's your plan.

Since all we have right now is the Nvidia quoted 320W draw, and I can pick your CPU's power draw from Tom's Hardware which we'll round up to 105W for sake of argument, I'd almost say your calculator is over-quoting you. Processor and GPU are 425W, do you really have another 176W of draw in the rest of your system? Between not knowing the ground truth on the card, and not knowing where your calculator is getting its numbers from, I'm skeptical.

(As I'm doing this exercise, I'm realizing I'll definitely need to upgrade my own PSU if my numbers are right.)

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I also got my Corsair SF from the Corsair website peak-pandemic. Took a while to ship, but there was no price inflation.

garfield hentai posted:

Although as you've both said the "wait and see" method is probably the most sensible, with the 750SF's limited availability it might make sense to jump on it when it's available for a not heavily inflated price if this calculator is actually reliable.

If you're committed to staying with mITX, grabbing an SF750 if one becomes available just in case isn't the worst idea if you don't want to hold off a bit. You'll have pretty much the highest wattage/best SFX PSU which should last you for many years. But if you're already considering a new case due to space / heat concerns, I'd at least wait until you figure out what you want to do on that front.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Splinter posted:

I also got my Corsair SF from the Corsair website peak-pandemic. Took a while to ship, but there was no price inflation.

If you're committed to staying with mITX, grabbing an SF750 if one becomes available just in case isn't the worst idea if you don't want to hold off a bit. You'll have pretty much the highest wattage/best SFX PSU which should last you for many years. But if you're already considering a new case due to space / heat concerns, I'd at least wait until you figure out what you want to do on that front.

I'm definitely open to going non-mITX - my only real requirement is that the case is a foot tall or under. Any recommendations on that front would be very much welcome - from what I've seen on various sites there are size options for CPU cooler or GPU clearance but not filters for how tall the thing itself is.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

garfield hentai posted:

I'm definitely open to going non-mITX - my only real requirement is that the case is a foot tall or under. Any recommendations on that front would be very much welcome - from what I've seen on various sites there are size options for CPU cooler or GPU clearance but not filters for how tall the thing itself is.

On the mITX front maybe the Lian Li TU150 would work? Believe the specs list it at ~12.2", though I'm unsure if that's with the handle up or down (assuming down). That gets you pretty great CPU cooler / GPU clearances if you're going air cooling. Airflow isn't the greatest for its size (due to top being taken up with the handle rather than exhaust fans), but it still should be fine for many builds, and worst case I have seen someone mod one with a top 140mm or 120mm exhaust. Not sure what's out there on the mATX front, but I'd imagine there's not many, if any, tower orientation options < 1' since the motherboard alone is almost 10" tall. Of course you could always go for a desktop orientation case, or just turn a tower case on its side.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Not an SFF, but I thought the new Xbox Series S design looks a lot like a Velka 3 :3:

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303371127482232834

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
I found this while searching for NCASE M1 specs and trying to get in on the 3080 bandwagon:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E94FbF5jPqeyPATUQOTzgY82_sJUpEWIsZKHQI0dIhg/edit#gid=512029266

Looks like most of these cards are outside of the supported sizes for the M1 which makes me concerned. I'm a big EVGA fan so I'm gunning for an XC3 on release.

Power usage looks like about 575W maximum based on calculator posted earlier with a 3900X so I'm praying my SF600 will be able to get by.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Numinous posted:

Power usage looks like about 575W maximum based on calculator posted earlier with a 3900X so I'm praying my SF600 will be able to get by.

What calculator did you use. I'd hate to have to upgrade my PSU for a 3080. I was gonna settle for a 3070.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Numinous posted:

I found this while searching for NCASE M1 specs and trying to get in on the 3080 bandwagon:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E94FbF5jPqeyPATUQOTzgY82_sJUpEWIsZKHQI0dIhg/edit#gid=512029266

Looks like most of these cards are outside of the supported sizes for the M1 which makes me concerned. I'm a big EVGA fan so I'm gunning for an XC3 on release.

You know SFF network has a thread with a compatibility matrix right? It's been updated for the 3xxx series: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/ncase-m1-v6-gpu-compatibility-list.11305/

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
^^^^ Thank you, I'll look into that.

Romes128 posted:

What calculator did you use. I'd hate to have to upgrade my PSU for a 3080. I was gonna settle for a 3070.

I'm using https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

with a Mini-ITX MB, 2x M2 SSDs, and 3 fans.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
I finally finished my Sentry 1.1 build :dance:

And then I knocked it off my desk onto a concrete floor :saddowns:

Fortunately, it only sustained slight cosmetic damage to one of the corners. I really wish they'd ramp up production because now I want a couple more for my work computers. It's freaking amazing.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I love my sentry, but unfortunately it is perfectly unsuited for the new 2080 due to that flow-through fan blowing straight into a metal plate. I wonder if cutting vents in the back of the case would work.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gangringo posted:

I love my sentry, but unfortunately it is perfectly unsuited for the new 2080 due to that flow-through fan blowing straight into a metal plate. I wonder if cutting vents in the back of the case would work.

I think a lot of sandwiches got dicked with this release. Maybe some of the AIB cards that aren't reliant on passthrough will work, but oof.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

I think a lot of sandwiches got dicked with this release. Maybe some of the AIB cards that aren't reliant on passthrough will work, but oof.

Thank goodness my Sliger SM580 is vented like on all sides (except the front).

4 140mm Noctua fans should be able to move air even though that GPU fan is gonna be blowing at nothing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

teagone posted:

Not an SFF, but I thought the new Xbox Series S design looks a lot like a Velka 3 :3:

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303371127482232834
It's very small, but I think the smaller mini-itx systems with short graphics cards can almost match it. The larger Xbox 5 model is giant and should be easy to match.

https://twitter.com/XboxNewsReddit/status/1304079412091068422

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1304072779336216579

https://twitter.com/michaelphigham/status/1304099147662778370

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 10, 2020

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Numinous posted:

drat I didn't realize the 3090 was a triple slot. I am not running an M1 but instead a custom case from overclock.net and dual slot is my max. I like your calculations!

I wonder if a waterblock would do away with the 3 slot requirement?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The United States posted:

It's very small, but I think the smaller mini-itx systems with short graphics cards can almost match it. The larger Xbox 5 model is giant and should be easy to match.

https://twitter.com/XboxNewsReddit/status/1304079412091068422

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1304072779336216579

https://twitter.com/michaelphigham/status/1304099147662778370

Somehow I never realized Sony had stumbled on a warehouse of surplus Silverstone cases when it was designing the PS5.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Warmachine posted:

Somehow I never realized Sony had stumbled on a warehouse of surplus Silverstone cases when it was designing the PS5.

Do you mean Microsoft? Because the PS5 looks weird as hell lmao.

Unless Silverstone has made cases similar in design to the PS5 in the past.

[edit] The PS5 is also massive.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 11, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That white xbox looks like a sensible size for a pc/console. It's about as big as an N64. I wonder if we'll see PC cases around that size becoming more common.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I wish MS would sell those dummy Xbox Series S enclosures. Would be fun to mod into an actual SFF case.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

well why not posted:

That white xbox looks like a sensible size for a pc/console. It's about as big as an N64. I wonder if we'll see PC cases around that size becoming more common.

You'll see graphics cards around that size becoming more common.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

teagone posted:

Do you mean Microsoft? Because the PS5 looks weird as hell lmao.

Unless Silverstone has made cases similar in design to the PS5 in the past.

[edit] The PS5 is also massive.

Yeah, I meant the XSX.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Looks like I got my video of the NR200 detailing how all the drives can fit in it. Thankfully the 3 1/2" can be mounted on the side railing as it looks like it would have blocked airflow of a CPU tower cooler if mounted on top of the psu which is an option. Obviously this can't be done for the glass version* but was always going for the mesh panel regardless.

*option rather, you get both panels with the N200p

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 11, 2020

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Looks like I got my video of the NR200 detailing how all the drives can fit in it. Thankfully the 3 1/2" can be mounted on the side railing as it looks like it would have blocked airflow of a CPU tower cooler if mounted on top of the psu which is an option. Obviously this can't be done for the glass version* but was always going for the mesh panel regardless.

*option rather, you get both panels with the N200p

It seems like you can only fit one 3.5” drive on the railing, unless they can be turned 90 degrees so the connectors don’t smash into each other... so just 2x3.5” I guess.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

VulgarandStupid posted:

It seems like you can only fit one 3.5” drive on the railing, unless they can be turned 90 degrees so the connectors don’t smash into each other... so just 2x3.5” I guess.

2x3.5" drives in a mitx case is pretty generous, larger cases (eg: NZXT 410) often allow only one.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What’s the smallest case I can jam 2x 3.5” in? I also need to fit 2x 2.5” SSDs in there but don’t need any pci cards and don’t care about proper SSD mounting. Im thinking the Metis Plus.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Silverstone SG13?

One drive in the top cage thingy and one at the bottom front. Jam the 2 ssd's where the pci slot is.