Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I want quips and brenden frasier

I don't. You've got three of them. They're good and fun. Now I want something more serious. Something like the Tomb section of The Mummy that's more like The Descent and less like Indiana Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'll admit if they got Fraser back as like the Sean Connery character from Last Crusade and got a solid younger action lead I'd be pretty excited. Time makes the heart grow fonder and all that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'll admit if they got Fraser back as like the Sean Connery character from Last Crusade and got a solid younger action lead I'd be pretty excited. Time makes the heart grow fonder and all that.

I get it, and I wouldn't hate it, but having tried to find the perfect Mummy movie and realizing it's the most under-utilized monster in monster movies, I'd personally be a little disappointed to get just another Fraser-esque Mummy movie--making that total 4 or whatever--instead of something a little more serious, scary and interesting.

They attempted to do another Fraser-esque Mummy movie with Tom Cruise, one of the most charming action heroes in Hollywood, and it sucked. Just gimme a horror movie with a mummy, not another action movie, which is what the Fraser movies are after they leave the tomb.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Hugh Jackman's Van Helsing has some seriously strange voodoo surrounding it.

Normally when a movie is forgettable, I categorize it as "bad" and don't revisit it. However I've seen Van Helsing (2004) a good half-dozen times, and every time I guess I enter a fugue-state from the title to the credits because I have zero recollection of what happens in-between or how I felt about any of it.

I wish I had an opinion on this movie I've seen multiple times, and cannot think of a reason why this specific film is so uniquely forgettable.

Maybe the seventh viewing will be the ticket?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Normally when a movie is forgettable, I categorize it as "bad" and don't revisit it. However I've seen Van Helsing (2004) a good half-dozen times, and every time I guess I enter a fugue-state from the title to the credits because I have zero recollection of what happens in-between or how I felt about any of it.

I wish I had an opinion on this movie I've seen multiple times, and cannot think of a reason why this specific film is so uniquely forgettable.

I have this exact same experience with Gymkata, a movie I've seen/attempted to see dozens of times, and just rolls off me like water on a duck.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/secondsightfilm/status/1303346137278148610?s=21

Guess I’m dragging Halloween into November this year. Shouldn’t matter much, time doesn’t mean anything anymore.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

There’s exactly one thing that I remember.

“We could be friends! Partners!”

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

I just want people trying to survive and escape a labyrinthine tomb full of booby traps while a mummy stalks them for 100 minutes. I don't need globe-trotting, I don't care about mummies in a city, I don't need apocalyptic stakes; gimme a small, claustrophobic mummy movie.

A stripped down cheaper Mummy film in this vein would be the ticket for me. Something that easily fits into the Blumhouse budget bracket a la The Invisible Man. Another idea that appeals would be a film that focuses on the curse aspect, like that old urban legend about Tutankhamen (I think) where wherever they took the Mummy suffered freak accidents etc. I picture something like a mix between Final Destination and The Ring where you only actually see the Mummy move until the last act, maybe combine it with some of that inescapable death paranoia of It Follows where because the monster is slow you know you can easily outrun it but it WILL eventually catch up, it's inevitable, even if you move to a desert island in the middle of nowhere eventually it will come lurching out the sea coming for you. It could be really cool, but more importantly inexpensive, certainly in comparison to the 2017 film which was very much a case of needlessly spending a lot of money on something that doesn't need it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Karloff posted:

A stripped down cheaper Mummy film in this vein would be the ticket for me. Something that easily fits into the Blumhouse budget bracket a la The Invisible Man. Another idea that appeals would be a film that focuses on the curse aspect, like that old urban legend about Tutankhamen (I think) where wherever they took the Mummy suffered freak accidents etc. I picture something like a mix between Final Destination and The Ring where you only actually see the Mummy move until the last act, maybe combine it with some of that inescapable death paranoia of It Follows where because the monster is slow you know you can easily outrun it but it WILL eventually catch up, it's inevitable, even if you move to a desert island in the middle of nowhere eventually it will come lurching out the sea coming for you. It could be really cool, but more importantly inexpensive, certainly in comparison to the 2017 film which was very much a case of needlessly spending a lot of money on something that doesn't need it.

Yeah, I'm down for this as well. I loved the idea of Mummy curses as a kid, and your pitch about It Follows paranoia and Final Destination kills is perfect for that idea.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

The true MVP of the Mummy movies is Rachel Weisz though. She acts circles around every one else in the movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franchescanado posted:

I don't. You've got three of them. They're good and fun. Now I want something more serious. Something like the Tomb section of The Mummy that's more like The Descent and less like Indiana Jones.

I was ripped off with that last one. And Rob Cohen, the sex pest, should mean we get another one to erase it so his legacy will not go on!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGvWbsTDPHU

But mummy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

This is not movie-related, but I just found this and I'm incredibly excited. Archive.org has a collection called "It Was Once Music Television" which is mostly composed of full MTV VJ sets, complete with music videos, introductions, commercials, everything. It also includes the full 5 hour MTV Elvira Halloween special from 1984!!!

https://archive.org/details/1984.10.31_MTV_Halloween_Special_5_Hours_with_Guest_VJ_Elvira_October_31st_1984

This whips

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I remember many Octobers ago I wanted to have a showing of The Mummy with my then-wife.

We sit down, observe the ritual, but instead of Brendon Frasier's The Mummy (1999) which she adored I slapped on the superior Peter Cushing's The Mummy (1959) as a pleasant, whimsical surprise.

I hyped The Mummy, and was true to my word. She became visibly upset immediately, and instead of being pleasantly surprised she proceeded to badger me into showing the goofier version.

I should have known then.

The Mummy is a homewrecker.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/sbr264-john-carpenter-they-live

This just went up.

4K Film, 7inch and toy is $95 shipped

4K Film and 7inch $60 shipped

If you ever wanted to own a NECA quality Keith David figure, your time is now!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo now CP can have Keith David shooting it out with a Predator or Michael Myers.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would like to see a stop motion fist fight between Keith David and Michael Myers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dorium posted:

I would like to see a stop motion fist fight between Keith David and Michael Myers.

Nobody has enough time to make a 20-minute stop motion movie.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFVhB54UqvQ

How on Earth did we come from Hitchcock + Olivier to this?

This looks so, so terrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks fine to me. Well shot at least.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I thought it looked beautiful, and Kristin Scott Thomas is in it so I'll almost certainly watch it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Armie Hammer's a great actor, as well.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

There was a period of like 10 years where I'd catch Interview with the Vampire on TV or wherever and think oh man I should watch that I don't think I've ever seen the whole thing, and then sit down and watch it and realize I have seen the whole thing several times. The only thing that reminds me I've seen it completely now is that I can remember watching it on Lurd's stream with other people.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Jedit posted:

Nobody has enough time to make a 20-minute stop motion movie.

true, no one is just home anymore. everyone is out and about living their lives. drat.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

There was a period of like 10 years where I'd catch Interview with the Vampire on TV or wherever and think oh man I should watch that I don't think I've ever seen the whole thing, and then sit down and watch it and realize I have seen the whole thing several times. The only thing that reminds me I've seen it completely now is that I can remember watching it on Lurd's stream with other people.

I think this is an issue with movies that have pacing issues, which both Van Helsing and Interview with the Vampire have. You hit a lull in the middle and it's easy to kinda drift off or even fall asleep. Then like two years later when you think about rewatching it you have this hazy memory of it because the movie allowed you to lose focus and you can't remember how much you actually watched.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFVhB54UqvQ

How on Earth did we come from Hitchcock + Olivier to this?

This looks so, so terrible.

I thought Olivier was pretty bad. 2hrs looking like whoever was next to him had just farted.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
That regal scowl is but one of many tools in Olivier's repertoire.

I'm getting some big Great Gatsby (2013) vibes from this.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

I want quips and brenden frasier

Watch Doom Patrol.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If you're not watching Lovecraft Country I dunno what to tell you its excellent horror.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I know some people including myself have enjoyed the Scaredy Cats videos.But man, Matt released a Scaredy Cats video where he just ranks movies and reveals some frankly shocking blank spots from a great deal of Universal Horror to The Birds to Scanners.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

He prefers Cabin in the Woods over American Psycho? He's canceled. No trial, no jury, straight to canceled.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Publicly endorsing Joss Whedon's work is sure-fire grounds for a paddlin' in these parts.

e: After he made Serenity the bro should have done the honorable thing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

He prefers Cabin in the Woods over American Psycho? He's canceled. No trial, no jury, straight to canceled.
He lists Unbreakable as on the same level as Alien but then won't consider Seven a horror movie which he has not seen. I still like him, but honestly, in a just society a judge would give the Scaredy Cats name to someone without such basic tastes.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 8, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe it's just me but if I were thinking about doing a horror centric video series I'd make sure I'd seen like, Frankenstein and Dracula and stuff like that first.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I love Scaredy Matt in spite of their insistence on being a functioning adult instead of a broken husk watching 1001 horror movies a year.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 10, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BisonDollah posted:

I love Scaredy Matt in spite of his insistence on being a functioning adult instead of a broken husk watching 1001 horror movies a year.

How do you watch 1001 horror movies a year and yet still not see Frankenstein or Dracula???

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Just found out Giancarlo Esposito did a chupacabra movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It seems extra absurd considering the fact that he's wearing a Re-Animator shirt.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

Oh poo poo now CP can have Keith David shooting it out with a Predator or Michael Myers.

No because fuccccccck this dude! I want that figure but I don’t have 47 dollars to spend right now and shout factory has the worst pre order system I’ve ever seen.

Maybe next week I’ll try and snag one if they’re still available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
I mean, the so-called classics can definitely be a chore to watch so I can't say I blame any horror fan who hasn't the willpower to sit through Frankenstein or Dracula. I gave it a shot when I first got into horror because it seemed like something ya just "had" to do, and yeah it felt like an absolute chore compared to the films that actually got me into the genre, they're like a whole different kind of film.