Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

EASTERN CONFERENCE FINAL (Rogers Place – Edmonton)
No. 2 Tampa Bay Lightning vs. No. 6 New York Islanders
Game 1: Monday, Sept. 7, 8 p.m. ET – NBCSN
Game 2: Wednesday, Sept. 9, 8 p.m ET – NBCSN
Game 3: Friday, Sept. 11, 8 p.m. ET – USA
Game 4: Sunday, Sept. 13, 3 p.m. ET – NBC
*Game 5: Tuesday, Sept. 15, 8 p.m. ET – NBCSN
*Game 6: Thursday, Sept. 17, 8 p.m. ET – NBCSN
*Game 7: Saturday, Sept. 19, 7:30 p.m. ET – NBC

*if fart

WESTERN CONFERENCE FINAL (Rogers Place – Edmonton)
No. 1 Vegas Golden Knights vs. No. 3 Dallas Stars
Game 1: Sunday, Sept. 6, 8 p.m. ET – NBC (livestream)
Game 2: Tuesday, Sept. 8, 8 p.m. ET – NBCSN (livestream)
Game 3: Thursday, Sept. 10, 8 p.m. ET – NBCSN (livestream)
Game 4: Saturday, Sept. 12, 8 p.m. ET – NBC (livestream)
*Game 5: Monday, Sept. 14, 8 p.m. ET – NBCSN
*Game 6: Wednesday, Sept. 16, 8 p.m. ET – NBCSN
*Game 7: Friday, Sept. 18, 9 p.m. ET – NBCSN

*if poop

Go Stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Wrong round number, idiot.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There is game being played

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Conference Finals are here; they might be good series.

:monocle:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
drat , I forgot to post my picks, but here is what it would have been regardless of the Vegas Dallas first period.

Vegas in 6

Tampa in 5

I’m betting all in on the big teams. Although a Dallas NY Islanders series would be hilarious in terms of not what the NHL would want.

Edit: maybe I’m discounting Islanders because they have been fairly irrelevant for so long ?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 7, 2020

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I’d think the islanders are the biggest market left, and one with a large following awaiting success.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Went 3/4 in round two(Got dal-col wrong)

Dallas in 7
Tampa in 6

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
The East Final will go 7. Every East Final with the Lightning in it has gone 7.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

Went 3/4 in round two(Got dal-col wrong)

Dallas in 7
Tampa in 6

This sounds right to me

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dallas looked good in that game, but Vegas was figuring it out by the end. Doubt we see a repeat of tonight's performance by either team.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Shinjobi posted:

Dallas looked good in that game, but Vegas was figuring it out by the end. Doubt we see a repeat of tonight's performance by either team.

Hopefully, cause that suuuuuucked

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

drat , I forgot to post my picks, but here is what it would have been regardless of the Vegas Dallas first period.

Vegas in 6

Tampa in 5

I’m betting all in on the big teams. Although a Dallas NY Islanders series would be hilarious in terms of not what the NHL would want.

Edit: maybe I’m discounting Islanders because they have been fairly irrelevant for so long ?

Dallas is the 5th biggest Nielsen market and I think Long Island gets lumped in with the NY market which is #1. Stars and Isles definitely aren't the biggest teams in their respective markets but the NHL would likely be just fine with that matchup.

For the curious, Tampa/St Pete is #11 and Vegas is #39.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
2020 NHL playoff preview: Lightning vs. Islanders https://theathletic.com/2047608/2020/09/06/2020-nhl-playoff-preview-lightning-vs-islanders/?source=user_shared_article

“The Islanders have been in a different stratosphere and on average have been more than twice as good as expected. Twice. Double. Not a typo. The average Islanders skater was projected to be worth 0.99 wins based on his stats from the last three seasons, but has instead been worth 2.12 during the playoffs. That kind of jump is enormous and I would have to imagine it’s unheard of.

The cutoff for an elite forward is about 2.9 wins. Mathew Barzal, Jean-Gabriel Pageau, Josh Bailey and Jordan Eberle all make the cut, providing 7.2 more wins per 82 than expected so far. The cutoff for an elite defenceman is about 2.2 wins. Ryan Pulock, Adam Pelech, Andy Greene and Nick Leddy all make the cut, providing 7.8 more wins per 82 than expected so far.

On paper, the Islanders have no truly elite players, but in the playoffs they have eight who are performing at that level. Aside from Bailey’s 17 points in 16 games, none of them are exactly crushing the scoresheet to get that label, either, although Barzal’s 13 points are nothing to scoff at. It’s because of how well they’re controlling the game at five-on-five. The Islanders’ top line has an expected-goals rate of about 64 percent and Barzal and Eberle have earned 70 percent of the goals. Pageau has been an animal, a pivotal addition who’s earning 60 percent of the expected goals and 77 percent of the actual goals. On defence, Pulock and Pelech are at 61 percent for expected goals with excellent defensive numbers while Leddy and Greene have had nearly a 4-to-1 ratio in their favour in terms of goals. It’s all unexpected and deserves major kudos. You often hear about players needing to elevate their games come playoff time and this is what that looks like on the most extreme level.”

Islanders on fire this playoffs (and the Flyers and Caps were bad).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Knights in 5
Islanders in 7

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Knights in 6
Islanders in 6

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Knights in 6
Lightning in 5

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

2020 NHL playoff preview: Lightning vs. Islanders https://theathletic.com/2047608/2020/09/06/2020-nhl-playoff-preview-lightning-vs-islanders/?source=user_shared_article

“The Islanders have been in a different stratosphere and on average have been more than twice as good as expected. Twice. Double. Not a typo. The average Islanders skater was projected to be worth 0.99 wins based on his stats from the last three seasons, but has instead been worth 2.12 during the playoffs. That kind of jump is enormous and I would have to imagine it’s unheard of.

The cutoff for an elite forward is about 2.9 wins. Mathew Barzal, Jean-Gabriel Pageau, Josh Bailey and Jordan Eberle all make the cut, providing 7.2 more wins per 82 than expected so far. The cutoff for an elite defenceman is about 2.2 wins. Ryan Pulock, Adam Pelech, Andy Greene and Nick Leddy all make the cut, providing 7.8 more wins per 82 than expected so far.

On paper, the Islanders have no truly elite players, but in the playoffs they have eight who are performing at that level. Aside from Bailey’s 17 points in 16 games, none of them are exactly crushing the scoresheet to get that label, either, although Barzal’s 13 points are nothing to scoff at. It’s because of how well they’re controlling the game at five-on-five. The Islanders’ top line has an expected-goals rate of about 64 percent and Barzal and Eberle have earned 70 percent of the goals. Pageau has been an animal, a pivotal addition who’s earning 60 percent of the expected goals and 77 percent of the actual goals. On defence, Pulock and Pelech are at 61 percent for expected goals with excellent defensive numbers while Leddy and Greene have had nearly a 4-to-1 ratio in their favour in terms of goals. It’s all unexpected and deserves major kudos. You often hear about players needing to elevate their games come playoff time and this is what that looks like on the most extreme level.”

Barry Trotz did the same thing with the Caps on our playoff run. He gets 3rd and 4th liners to play lights out when it matters most. I’ll be rooting for an epic game 7 double overtime fuckup by the lightning.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1303022799141904386

Still no positive tests :toot:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

MRLOLAST posted:

Knights in 6
Lightning in 5

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

https://twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/1302426417477550081?s=21

https://twitter.com/buccigross/status/1303045355429388288?s=21

The isles have matched up very well with Tampa over the past few seasons and their games have generally been high scoring and fun to watch. This series should be a lot more exciting than people are expecting.

Tampa in 4

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Bolts in 7
Stars in 7

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
stars in 4 islanders in 4

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

heehee posted:

stars in 4 islanders in 4

Yes

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
[Hot stupid take about the Masterson Award]

It's a weird award.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Hope Trotz can work some magic to have the Isles adjust for the next game because good lord there's a lot to work on. The Isles are gassed and Tampa is rested, that much is obvious. But Tampa has worked antithesis to the Isles gameplan and it's given them fits.

Tampa executed well. The Isles had decent chances but the game got out of hand quick so I dunno how much stock to out in the play for the whole 60 minutes.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1303162533579284481

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Islanders in 5

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I didn't watch the game because I don't care enough, although I checked the score and to no surprise

triple sulk posted:

i think they're an overcoached team who will get rolled by tampa bay tbh, because tampa bay can actually score goals

the Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Bolts in 3

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/JeffEisenband/status/1303008620586639363?s=20

Ladd is already golfing

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's loving wild.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol 8-2.

Gonna make the Islander’s game 7 double overtime win that much sweeter.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Lol 8-2.

Gonna make the Islander’s game 7 double overtime win that much sweeter.

Bolts gonna score one goal in the next three games now.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

They've been killing time in Edmonton for like a week. It's not like there's anything better to do than fire pucks into a dryer.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Forgot that piece of poo poo Reaves is back tonight. How many games until he significantly shortens Miro's career?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Forgot that piece of poo poo Reaves is back tonight. How many games until he significantly shortens Miro's career?

How excited are you for the announcers to mention that Vegas starts their fourth line to provide some energy? Because you'll hear about it every single game for some reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cocaine Bear posted:

No way Reaves can break out of the Accolade.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want the Stars to play no one for an entire game and see if NBC gives a poo poo about them then.

Spoilers: they won't

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The Ryan Reaves factor is interesting to me... I'll accept that Vegas plays better with him in the lineup because he gets them into the game or whatever.. they need his poo poo talking from the bench and cheap shots to motivate them, and that's a bigger benefit than the loss in skill from replacing an actual NHL player with Ryan Reaves. I don't think it's as cut and dried as that though, as it has often been said about the Stars' top players like Benn and Radulov that they get more engaged when the game gets nasty.

If they end up turning this series into a penalty parade, that definitely favors the Stars. Vegas is so clearly the better team at 5 on 5 play based on the track records of both clubs, I think it would be an obvious blunder to turn the games into special teams contests where the Stars arguably have the clear edge. They basically won the series against Colorado on the strength of their special teams play. During the playoffs they are producing expected goals on the PP at almost twice the rate that Vegas has - 10.51 per 60 vs 6.56 per 60.

so we will see what Vegas does, but I for one welcome the return of that moron into their lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have no opinion aside from any win we get from Vegas is fantastic, playoffs or not. They've had our number until game 1 this series.