Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

They'll make a Lilo and Stitch movie that appeals to Japanese audiences and make Lilo abandon Stitch because shes an ungrateful brat.

Is this actually true? Anecdotal info, I know, but I heard Lilo was just going to college or hsd a kid of her own at that point and sent Stitch over to Japan to visit relatives because honestly, it's the weird strong little blue alien freak that we're really here for. I don't remember there being any bad blood there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alacron posted:

A while ago people were wondering what Chip and Ironicus were up to these days, and they just released the first videos for their FF7R let's play.

The playlist, if anyone's interested
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrekaHLD2rhb34UzARIDSw4BzP9dz-tjF

gently caress I haven't listened to Chip and Ironicus stuff in ages, I should fix that. Have they done any other especially good things to check out after I binge FF7?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

gently caress I haven't listened to Chip and Ironicus stuff in ages, I should fix that. Have they done any other especially good things to check out after I binge FF7?

Their MGS5 LP was very good, but VERY long. For one thing, Chip tries to show off the different ways you can play the game, codified by three different Snakes, stealthy Big Boss runs, lethal Venom Snake runs, and Vapor Snake runs which are dedicated to all the weird poo poo you can do in the game.

Vapor Snake's antics eventually resulted in this masterpiece:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze7r1j1t5vI&t=258s

Spoilers, since it comes at the tail end of the LP.

Apart from Metal Gear, Wonderful 101 was great, and Mario Odyssey was very chill, though incomplete.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Most of the Metal Gear Solid and Uncharted games, MegaMan Legends, The Wonderful 101 is really good, I don't know what interests you though. Also they've only out up like two episodes of FF7 right now.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXy5NwBq3yzzEarJLM8M-aGiWy44xDkYY

Someone made highlight videos of their LPs so maybe that'll help.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Outside of their excellent Metal Gear videos I loved their Wonderful 101 and Cabela's Dangerous Hunts LPs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

sexpig by night posted:

All of their Anime Theater stuff that died with their video host of choice is thankfully all rescued on the Internet Archive as well, which is good because their riff on Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned is high art.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RareAcumen posted:

Is this actually true? Anecdotal info, I know, but I heard Lilo was just going to college or hsd a kid of her own at that point and sent Stitch over to Japan to visit relatives because honestly, it's the weird strong little blue alien freak that we're really here for. I don't remember there being any bad blood there.
It's not like in the japanese show they actually call her a brat or anything but the reason she's written out of it is that lilo was really unpopular with japanese audiences.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

It's not like in the japanese show they actually call her a brat or anything but the reason she's written out of it is that lilo was really unpopular with japanese audiences.

Quietly shuffled off the show is better than anything that's happened with most comic book women so I'll take that over them having a fight and them totally splitting off forever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RareAcumen posted:

i mean yeah in thats the "watsonian" reason but irl, they took lilo in the japanese show because she wasn't the right color apparently and replaced her with a japanese girl or something.

IronicDongz posted:

the brat thing was from some moron on tumblr/twitter.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they also removed everything to do with hawaii :pwn:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

they also removed everything to do with hawaii :pwn:

they moved the series to Okinawa, because it's a Japanese cartoon for Japan

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I mean in Japan, Hawaii is a very popular vacation destination and also Hawaii has a massive Japanese population so it's not as though Hawaii is all that much less relevant to Japanese people than it is to mainland Americans.

e: I looked it up and apparently the reason why they made a new Japanese cartoon set in Okinawa is cause this guy who worked for Disney Japan (Paul Candland) lived in Okinawa for a few years in the 90s and wanted to make a show set there:

Don't know where the "Japanese people hate Lilo" thing came from. Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. Lilo isn't with Stitch in this Okinawa show cause she's grown up and she's an adult. They did broadcast the American Lilo & Stitch series in Japan too. The movie itself just wasn't super popular in Japan and according to some random Japanese blogger I saw (thus the supreme authority on Japanese culture), apparently Stitch was considered kinda ugly looking and the marketing for the movie felt pushy.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 8, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Groovelord Neato posted:

Did Uri Gellar sue the Lachowskis too?
for suggesting that bending spoons with your mind was a legitimate power people could have?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Extremely excited for this long Doom video.

https://twitter.com/108/status/1303281090208071680

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Since we were chatting about Mulan, bleak lol:

https://twitter.com/isaacstonefish/status/1303009701349797889?s=21

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

Ouch, that's rough.

I haven't watched Venture Bros in... gently caress, maybe over a decade? I remember it being funny as hell though, the perfect evolution of the Williams Street stuff in that they finally had their own animation which let them branch out in the kind of stories they could tell, but retaining that tongue and cheek riffing on Hanna-Barbera spirit. I didn't realize it kept running for so long, I might sit down and binge it next weekend.

There was talk over in the VB thread in TV IV that a higher up over at Cartoon Network retired and like in a lot of cases why a show gets cancelled, he was their guardian angel that let them spend what is for TV a frankly ridiculous amount on each season. (I like the show too, we're all civilized here, but that sort of thing just doesn't happen on the regular.)

Dean's voice actor was also outed as a sex pest but I don't know how relevant that is, save making rewatches a bit uncomfortable.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

There was talk over in the VB thread in TV IV that a higher up over at Cartoon Network retired and like in a lot of cases why a show gets cancelled, he was their guardian angel that let them spend what is for TV a frankly ridiculous amount on each season. (I like the show too, we're all civilized here, but that sort of thing just doesn't happen on the regular.)

Dean's voice actor was also outed as a sex pest but I don't know how relevant that is, save making rewatches a bit uncomfortable.

Adult Swim has since tweeted that they want to continue the series in some way, so I suspect the blame lies more with the AT&T acquisition of Warner. Especially since they recently laid off a lot of people at DC, and cancelled a bunch of comics. So of course they would cancel something that is beloved but not incredibly profitable. poo poo sucks!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Srice posted:

Adult Swim has since tweeted that they want to continue the series in some way, so I suspect the blame lies more with the AT&T acquisition of Warner. Especially since they recently laid off a lot of people at DC, and cancelled a bunch of comics. So of course they would cancel something that is beloved but not incredibly profitable. poo poo sucks!

I didn't think of that as an additional factor. Isn't VB kind of expensive, relatively speaking?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I didn't think of that as an additional factor. Isn't VB kind of expensive, relatively speaking?

I don't know off the top of my head but I would imagine at the very least it costs more than the average Adult Swim show?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

for suggesting that bending spoons with your mind was a legitimate power people could have?

It only works in a simulation.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Is that really that surprising though? I'd honestly be more surprised if you could film in China and NOT work with at least one of their propaganda departments.

Edit: yeah okay, need to read a little more. That's pretty hosed up yeah.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

I don't know off the top of my head but I would imagine at the very least it costs more than the average Adult Swim show?

The last few seasons were being developed inhouse by Titmouse so they were likely a lot cheaper than the hand drawn animation the show was using before.

The bigger thing was likely the breaks between seasons as they only have two writers. Doc Hammer having some major health issues in the last year extending to him having to relearn how to walk probably didn't help.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/jacksonpublick/status/1303102212193705985

i assume this news will blow up soon and good folks will be making/retrospectives videos about it. this loving sucks. they had one last season and it was one of my favorite shows that stayed pretty good all the way through. plus its a better subject than what does and doesn't count as purity testing.

2020 really takes no loving prisoners

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Venture Brothers thing led me to re-reading the article on just how badly Adult Swim screwed over C. Martin Croker and now I'm mad again.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Dawgstar posted:

Michael Sinterniklaas? What did he do?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Michael Sinterniklaas? What did he do?

Not quite in the same territory as Vic Mignogna, but in the same zip code apparently, we'll just say...

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

nine-gear crow posted:

Not quite in the same territory as Vic Mignogna, but in the same zip code apparently, we'll just say...

Ah drat, that's disappointing. He was the good Xellos voice too.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Reading USPOL for like 6 years has shown me this is generally the case... always. Leftists purity test the poo poo out of their allies trying to summon the Almighty Perfect into existence and leave themselves on this isolated little island where they hate everyone else and everyone else hates them because they're insufferable bores and they sit around conspiratizing that everyone else is out to get them and going "Why no 1 vote 4 us? :confused:" instead of coming together and actually properly fighting against the Literal Evil option, and more often than not, Evil wins.

And I say this as a Leftist. We suck.

No I absolutely think that these people should be ousted. I'm just surprised that every time someone points out that slurs is not okay. People come to the defence of the slur user.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Unless people are talking about drinking water or something I never want to hear the term purity test again in my life

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Reading USPOL for like 6 years has shown me this is generally the case... always. Leftists purity test the poo poo out of their allies trying to summon the Almighty Perfect into existence and leave themselves on this isolated little island where they hate everyone else and everyone else hates them because they're insufferable bores and they sit around conspiratizing that everyone else is out to get them and going "Why no 1 vote 4 us? :confused:" instead of coming together and actually properly fighting against the Literal Evil option, and more often than not, Evil wins.

And I say this as a Leftist. We suck.

There are 3 kinds of "leftist purity tests"

The first is "This person literally won't stop using slurs, and it's making marginalized people feel unsafe" - these are unimpeachably good

The second is "This person used a slur in a comedy set 8 years ago and even though all of their work since that has been perfectly fine and not lovely we need to Cancel Them - this is bad!

The third is "This person is friends with someone who once tacitly approved of a slur by not banning a Known Slur User (link to giant callout post of YoGabbaStabba69 on a now-deleted tumblr page) and therefore deserves to rot" and is only used by strawmen and chronically online 16-year-olds

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
There are 3 kinds of purity tests:

You can measure conductivity or resistivity to determine the presence of ions in the water.

You can check for the presence of organic contaminants by checking for the total organic carbon (TOC) content.

Finally, you can test for colloids by passing water through a 0.45 micrometer filter at constant pressure and examining the time taken to damage the filter.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

egg tats posted:

There are 3 kinds of "leftist purity tests"

The first is "This person literally won't stop using slurs, and it's making marginalized people feel unsafe" - these are unimpeachably good

The second is "This person used a slur in a comedy set 8 years ago and even though all of their work since that has been perfectly fine and not lovely we need to Cancel Them - this is bad!

The third is "This person is friends with someone who once tacitly approved of a slur by not banning a Known Slur User (link to giant callout post of YoGabbaStabba69 on a now-deleted tumblr page) and therefore deserves to rot" and is only used by strawmen and chronically online 16-year-olds

Pretty sure the first stands for like 98% of all left wing controversies and the other 2 are either strawmen or forced by a very vocal bad faith minority group.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
lol @ every single post in response to that one proving it correct

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I dream of a future world where everyone is such a blank-slate opinion-free weathervane that we no longer have to deal with the perfidious issue of purity testing (people disagreeing with other people about things). Ah... a harmonious earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut3EviqJei8

This guy makes good videos about evolution. Watching these videos will make you realize that there really aren't that many people making paleoart.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Whoever posted that "purity test" is just a dog whistle for being mad at people for having higher moral standards than you is bang on.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

It's not even about prescient awareness of taboos. It's about being able to go "Okay I hosed up and I will do better in the future" and practically everyone will accept that.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

New Quinton Reviews! This time on bad Watchmen sequels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtR-CQvUDxQ

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 8, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
https://twitter.com/ZackDavisson/status/1303377570939822081

The thing that I mainly find funny about this tweet is the huge number of nerds getting upset in the comments because this guy called Mob Psycho 100 a cartoon (it's a cartoon btw just like all anime is).

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Jamie Faith posted:

New Quinton Reviews! This time on bad Watchmen sequels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtR-CQvUDxQ

Every time I see or hear a Snyder quote I can't help but wonder what the hell the people in the Snyder-thread is seeing that I'm not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Casey Finnigan posted:

https://twitter.com/ZackDavisson/status/1303377570939822081

The thing that I mainly find funny about this tweet is the huge number of nerds getting upset in the comments because this guy called Mob Psycho 100 a cartoon (it's a cartoon btw just like all anime is).

Why is it called Mob Psycho when it should be called Mob Psychic is my question.