Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why is it called Mob Psycho when it should be called Mob Psychic is my question.

for the same reason M. Bison and Athena Asamiya use Psycho Power and not Psychic Power

it sounds cooler in Japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Honestly the only reason for that I'm able to think of is cause "Psycho" sounds slightly like "最高" which means "supreme/greatest". And Mob is the supreme, most powerful psychic in the series.

That's probably not why ONE named it that though, I'd guess he probably just went with something that sounded cool.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's a pun. Yes, it's a homophone for the same word as "greatest" and he's the most powerful psychic in the series, but also it's what happens when an emotional state hits 100%.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

New Quinton Reviews! This time on bad Watchmen sequels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtR-CQvUDxQ

Whoever is behind those plush figures must have made a big push to medium sized youtubers because David Seymour is also trying to sell one of himself as well.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
psycho just sounds cooler period

Sydin posted:

Whoever posted that "purity test" is just a dog whistle for being mad at people for having higher moral standards than you is bang on.
That's usually what it is but also there are people who go on totally over the top brigades against people they happen to not like or think they can get clout from stepping on, often revolving around petty fandom bullshit

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alaois posted:

for the same reason M. Bison and Athena Asamiya use Psycho Power and not Psychic Power

it sounds cooler in Japanese

Don't you mean Vega :smugdog:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Don't you mean Vega :smugdog:

no I mean Dictator

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Mob Psycho is one of the best shows in years, and this is all the more reason to watch it if you haven't already.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Beefstew posted:

Mob Psycho is one of the best shows in years, and this is all the more reason to watch it if you haven't already.

Some people got me to watch the first season with them and I loved the Peter Venkman character.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why is it called Mob Psycho when it should be called Mob Psychic is my question.

In addition to everything everyone else said, he does kind of go "psycho" by his own estimation when his emotions run out of control

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

nine-gear crow posted:

Reading USPOL for like 6 years has shown me this is generally the case... always. Leftists purity test the poo poo out of their allies trying to summon the Almighty Perfect into existence and leave themselves on this isolated little island where they hate everyone else and everyone else hates them because they're insufferable bores and they sit around conspiratizing that everyone else is out to get them and going "Why no 1 vote 4 us? :confused:" instead of coming together and actually properly fighting against the Literal Evil option, and more often than not, Evil wins.

And I say this as a Leftist. We suck.

I'm surprised that:

A.) someone actually said this in this thread,
B.) it wasn't me who said it, and
C.) it was you, Nine-Gear, who in fact said it.

-

More to the point, I think the thing with 'purity tests' is that they are a thing, but everybody's got a different grading scale for them. Some people have extremely low standards, and will go, "Eh, Biden's talking about how he's not going to defund the police, but he's better than Trump, so [PASS]", whereas some people have extremely high standards where they'll present a twelve-thousand tweet thesis on how Chapo Trapo House is actually a pipeline to the alt-right, which I think is a bit extreme*.

* I don't listen to Chapo Trapo House, but that something I hear get thrown around occasionally.

I think the 'purity test' thing is maybe part a larger issue, where the 'left' is divided into different groups who have different ideas of how to push for change.

If there's something to be said about leftist/progressive points, it's that sometimes they feel like they're at odds with each other. For example, I think a lot of people in this thread will agree that a core issue is how millionaires and billionaires are raking in cash while normal people suffer, and that's got to stop ("eat the rich, bring out the guillotine. etc, etc.")

However a while ago, I saw someone talking about Vaush, and they brought up how he labels people as 'class reductionists'. I also saw a few people on SA use it as well (can't remember if it was in this thread or elsewhere). Me, having only a handful of brain-cells, I go, "What in the hell is class reductionist?" From what I heard, class reductionism is the idea of prioritizing class struggle over other types of identity politics, taking attention away from those issues.

So you have one voice that's going, "The rich are bad; we need to unite the working class and push for better pay and unionization", but then you have another voice going, "Emphasizing class disparity diminishes the seriousness racial and gender discrimination." It's like, "Well poo poo, what do I do? Ignoring the first point is bad, but trying to bring focus on it also sound like it creates a problem." At that point, it's not so much a 'purity test' as it is a balancing act, except you don't always know who your audience is, and you don't know what you should be balancing and how you should be balancing it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

purity tests are an actual thing that exists and are a problem but like so many other things it's a subject that only ever really comes up when it's time to defend lovely famous people and otherwise none of the people that act like they give a poo poo actually do because the entire world revolves around lovely famous people

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Hey look! Marcus posted this so I dont have to!

https://twitter.com/CosmonautMarcus/status/1303447591120760834

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well you see purity tests are bad because cancel culture is the worst thing ever and furthermore

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vaush's problem is that he doesn't understand that class struggle and other struggles against injustices and inequality go hand-in-hand. It's not either or. He's incapable of grasping this concept because of his warped views. As others have pointed out, he has a serious loving gap with the trans community. He can say some decent things every now and then but then he puts his foot in his mouth and, honestly, there are tons of Leftist creators out there to listen to that don't have those problems and aren't stubborn about fixing the ones they have.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

BigglesSWE posted:

Every time I see or hear a Snyder quote I can't help but wonder what the hell the people in the Snyder-thread is seeing that I'm not.

He's better at making films than he is at giving quotes, and the films go down a lot better when you aren't trying to do...whatever's going on in that video. "At the beginning of the film Batman is disfiguring lower class criminals. At the end of the film Batman has the opportunity to disfigure an upper class criminal, yet chooses not to. The problem with [this film] is that it has nothing to say." Notwithstanding that that summary of events in the film is substantially incorrect, there are some very obvious things to read into that chain of events - but instead there's the usual waffle about "the director not understanding the story [they're] telling" because it's more about reaffirming the existing options of a base than anything usefully critical.

To expand the relevant quote, because it's cut (as per usual) in a way which is borderline misleading:

quote:

Well, one new point of difference is make them more grim and gritty, like Hancock or The Dark Knight, which seems to also work in Watchmen‘s favor —
Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. ”Batman’s dark.” I’m like, okay, ”No, Batman’s cool.” He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that’s how that would go. I believe that pop culture is just, like, so ready for Watchmen. We tried so hard to ride that wave between satire and reality, and all the things that make you still care about the character, but you don’t miss the commentary about them. Nite-Owl is Batman. The guy has a fricking cave under his house! No doubt a fanboy will look at the movie and not get it. ”He looks just like Batman!” Precisely. When people saw our version of the Ozymandias costume on the Internet, some were like, ”It’s like a Joel Schumacher Batman movie! The costume has nipples! That’s crazy!” And I’m like, ”Yeah, but that’s the point!” With their comic, Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons were saying, ”Superheroes are kinda funky, aren’t they?” We build upon that with a movie that acknowledges that superhero movies have affected pop culture.

The point is distinguishing between Batman Begins, which is a film with a gritty aesthetic which nonetheless is about a guy who trains with ninjas, and an adaptation of Watchmen, which is a comic where someone is threatened with sexual assault in a prison. Is it awkward phrasing? Sure. Is it really objectionable in any way? Eh.

e: consider this a forceful effort to dislodge leftist puritychat by any means necessary

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

why are you watching in english are you one of those north americans who don't like subtitles

(Actual response to Marcus.)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

why are you watching in english are you one of those north americans who don't like subtitles

(Actual response to Marcus.)

lmao I saw that.
But for real tho, the Funi dub is like the greatest dub I've ever seen. I much prefer it over the sub personally.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

https://twitter.com/ZackDavisson/status/1303377570939822081

The thing that I mainly find funny about this tweet is the huge number of nerds getting upset in the comments because this guy called Mob Psycho 100 a cartoon (it's a cartoon btw just like all anime is).
I usually groan in disgust when I find a Twitter post here, but this is pretty great.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
How do dub voice actors typically deal with the difference in timing between what they say in the original language and what they say in the dubbed language?

I usually don't watch dubbed anything because of that factor besides DBZ which only truly exists in the specific English dub I watched growing up

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't consider it a purity test when someone says they aren't a fan of biden because they will literally die if they have to go another 4 years without proper healthcare
I do consider it a purity test when someone with a blue check mark next to their name comes along, accuses that first person of doing a purity test and calls them a trump supporter

Casey Finnigan posted:

How do dub voice actors typically deal with the difference in timing between what they say in the original language and what they say in the dubbed language?

I usually don't watch dubbed anything because of that factor besides DBZ which only truly exists in the specific English dub I watched growing up

they don't. the english script is written to match the japanese lip movements. this is a big restriction on dub scripts and why you will sometimes see dubs go with strange translation choices compared to subs.

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 9, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

lmao I saw that.
But for real tho, the Funi dub is like the greatest dub I've ever seen. I much prefer it over the sub personally.

Any excuse to feel superior, I suppose.

Augus posted:

they don't. the english script is written to match the japanese lip movements. this is a big restriction on dub scripts and why you will sometimes see dubs go with strange translation choices compared to subs.

Having talked to and listened to localization folks, it is a tough job when you're just trying to translate text. Forget trying to do the same and then match it up to lip flaps. That's why you'll also get those

weird pauses now and then.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Dubs own. I choose to watch dubbed like 90% of the time.
Also, holy poo poo what is wrong with Snyder fans? Why do they all talk like Rational Men doubling down on Twitter, like they've conjured a wine glass while relaxing in their posh parlor?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Beefstew posted:

Dubs own. I choose to watch dubbed like 90% of the time.
Also, holy poo poo what is wrong with Snyder fans? Why do they all talk like Rational Men doubling down on Twitter, like they've conjured a wine glass while relaxing in their posh parlor?

Because they have become garbage.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
When Adult Swim brought Shin Chan over they aired some commentary tracks talking about the localization process. They heavily rewrote the episodes anyway due to the nightmare of trying to translate pun humor over to English, but at one point there was a line where the Otaku character is passing along some information. And he holds up 3 fingers in the middle of speaking due to sentence layout. They struggled to try and make the timing work for a minute before laughing and agreeing that he's so awkward that he would just throw his hand up early and let it hang there even if he didn't say 3 until the end.

It's gotta be hell trying to make it work for something serious.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love dubs. I'm a huge nerd for voice actors, particularly dub voice actors.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

Any excuse to feel superior, I suppose.

Wait, sorry, but are talking about me? Or the guy responding to Marcus?

Arist posted:

I love dubs. I'm a huge nerd for voice actors, particularly dub voice actors.

Same :allears:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That’s why Pop Team Epic is the best anime: you get two dubs!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Some dubs are so good they eclipse the original in my mind: Cowboy Bebop, Big O, Gundam Wing...

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Pretty much all of the Digimon dubs are perfectly fine in place of the sub, if not better.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The Assassination Classroom dub is very good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Panty and Stocking's dub eclipses the original script, and makes a good show even funnier by having far more filthier dialogue.

More recently, The Great Pretender on Netflix has had an excellent dub, and is just plain good fun if you want a show that's functionally a set of three Ocean's 11/The Italian Job heist movies (the show is three scams broken into 5 episodes each)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gundam Wing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4U4FkGe3Sw

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Patlabor's and Slayers' dubs hold a special place for me. They're not exactly stellar but I'm all there for that early dub jank with actors who are giving their best.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gundam Wing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8YH0Myz-KA

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BFC posted:

Pretty much all of the Digimon dubs are perfectly fine in place of the sub, if not better.

Tamers is the only one that really holds up on anything but a nostalgia goggles viewing though.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

"The rich are bad; we need to unite the working class and push for better pay and unionization", but then you have another voice going, "Emphasizing class disparity diminishes the seriousness racial and gender discrimination." It's like, "Well poo poo, what do I do? Ignoring the first point is bad, but trying to bring focus on it also sound like it creates a problem." At that point, it's not so much a 'purity test' as it is a balancing act, except you don't always know who your audience is, and you don't know what you should be balancing and how you should be balancing it.

Jimbot posted:

Vaush's problem is that he doesn't understand that class struggle and other struggles against injustices and inequality go hand-in-hand. It's not either or. He's incapable of grasping this concept because of his warped views. As others have pointed out, he has a serious loving gap with the trans community. He can say some decent things every now and then but then he puts his foot in his mouth and, honestly, there are tons of Leftist creators out there to listen to that don't have those problems and aren't stubborn about fixing the ones they have.
Yeah class reductionists think that identity politics are to be ignored completely despite identity playing into the class struggle. You can't focus on just one because they impact each other. It's not just a coincidence that trans people and black people in the US struggle more economically than say white cis men. Like the lib "more female girl bosses!" stuff is exhausting but rich women being rich and ignorant does not mean that jobs predominantly done by working class women aren't very low paying. You can't ignore these things and simultaneously "fix" the underlying issues.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ya-xLnQxs8

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
No joke I unironically love the Gundam Wing dub. It is loving peak terrible 90's anime dub where they only have the budget for maybe 8-10 voice actors to cover a cast of dozens of characters, and you can tell everybody is trying their best despite having no loving clue about what it is they're actually working on. It also has some of the weirdest goddamn voice direction decisions like turning Heero into a stilted emotionless weirdo or General Septum into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Evangelion's ADV dub is unironically fantastic.
I've been watching the DiC dub of Sailor Moon throughout quarantine and it's the greatest thing I've ever seen.
Besides that, the Funimation Dragon Balls/Z/Super, Yu Yu Hakusho, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy, Mob Psycho, Big O, most Trigger shows (though I preferred Little Witch Academia in Japanese), and... gently caress, really almost everything either has a good dub or an entertaining dub at least (except the Netflix Eva dub, which sucks). I can't imagine having such a stick up my rear end that I turn my nose at anything not in Japanese.
The only shows that I strictly watch in Japanese are Jojos and Attack on Titan.