Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

No you're correct, that kind of play is possibly better suited to existing kingdoms where you can be some random duke and be Littlefinger. Ireland's situation means war is inevitable, even if you don't start one the vikings or Scots or someone are going to come calling. Your best bets for that are probably going to be finding someone with appropriate traits in either Byzantium, the Seljuks, or the HRE.

Ok, awesome. I spotted a couple there that could work, but second guessed everything and kept starting over

Can you fabricate a claim and then take advantage of it without war? Even if it takes longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

please god better ui scaling since the mod doesn't allow for ironman

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

You can raise less than a full levy already, although the tooltip that explains this is hard to notice - if you raise all troops and then ctrl+right click to give them a movement order, they'll immediately stop gathering and just march off with whoever they've already got.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
It's my ruler's 70th birthday -- that is 30 straight years of everyone hating him due to constant tyranny, maxed out stress, several varieties of obesity and drunkenness penalties, not to mention he's been on the frontline of all of my (many) battles. Yet he is still alive and the house of cards that is Scandinavian succession across multiple kingdoms has finally collapsed and I'm out of options to get my correct heir elected across all kingdoms.

I think I'm done with this save. It taught me a lot about basic game mechanics and I'd recommend the Rurik start under 'adventurers' for other new players since it's a pretty chill environment and easy to gobble up your neighbors, but it also taught me that scandinavian succession is a trap! The forced vote hooks need to last 10 years minimum. You should be able to trade votes for favors (like real life!). It's way too much of a struggle otherwise.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Re: not so warlike starts you can try Alfonso VI of Leon, it's one of the recommendations for 1066 so it's got a decent chunk of love spent on it. Your brothers are the kings of your neighboring countries, and you are in their line of succession. You're also really good at intrigue, as is your sister and spymaster Urraca. Do the needful.

The historical Alfonso VI unified the Spanish thrones by first allying with his older brother Sancho II of Castille to divvy up their youngest brother Garcia's holdings in Galicia, then starting a war with Sancho for the rest ... which he lost, resulting in Alfonso getting exiled to Toledo and finally inheriting when Sancho was very conveniently murdered while besieging their sister Urraca's city of Zamora. The succession in CK3 isn't likely to go like that, but that's the situation they're trying to emulate.

You will probably have to fight someone at some point, but you have a lot of room to maneuver in other ways. Unifying the Spanish kingdoms is not all war all the time like Ireland.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ultrachrist posted:

It's my ruler's 70th birthday -- that is 30 straight years of everyone hating him due to constant tyranny, maxed out stress, several varieties of obesity and drunkenness penalties, not to mention he's been on the frontline of all of my (many) battles. Yet he is still alive and the house of cards that is Scandinavian succession across multiple kingdoms has finally collapsed and I'm out of options to get my correct heir elected across all kingdoms.

I think I'm done with this save. It taught me a lot about basic game mechanics and I'd recommend the Rurik start under 'adventurers' for other new players since it's a pretty chill environment and easy to gobble up your neighbors, but it also taught me that scandinavian succession is a trap! The forced vote hooks need to last 10 years minimum. You should be able to trade votes for favors (like real life!). It's way too much of a struggle otherwise.

Honestly the forced vote should just be forever. Maybe add in an option to un-force your vote by using a hook against whoever forced you. It doesn't really make sense for them to "expire" because the vote only matters when the ruler dies.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Feudalism questions:
  • The taxes my vassals pay actually does come out of their balance sheet right? So if I'm newly feudal taxing them to poo poo is counterproductive anyway?
  • I own a couple farmlands provinces, is it better to drop Castles there or Cities?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Castles make more money weirdly, but the general recommendation I've heard is build all the churches if you're planning for the long haul

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
For folks talking about converting to dead religions, I have gotten stress events that let me convert religions. I wonder if there's a way to influence what religion is offered by that event. Say, being a lunatic or whatever.... Maybe having the associated virtues make one more likely? It'd be worth someone checking the events.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Started CK3 last night, first time I've ever played a game like this. Here is my trip report:

I started the game in Buobo and immediately identified my wife as a threat, so I started a plot to assassinate her. In the mean time, we had two kids, and then I killed her, though I got caught and branded as a murderer. I noticed that the country to the south had it's leader die and their widow married a different leader nearby, so I began romancing the widow and planning to kill their child and new husband to try and take over all three. In the meantime, I started a fling with a barmaid, and got caught by my spiritual advisor who really didn't seem to care for my attempt at a three way. I then successfully finished my romance of the widow, but got caught before we could elope and got branded a fornicator, then decided gently caress it lets go get her by force, but I couldn't declare a war on account of all the sin and my people hated me? So I decided try a religious ceremony to curry some favor but instead go pneumonia and then foolishly legitimized my bastard son with the widow and died, so my well prepared heir daughter did not inherit the throne and instead a 6 month old baby did and then I took a break.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

So my wife has this phantom duchy with no titles above or below it, and she doesn't hold any land. What gives? It doesn't even normally have a place on the map.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

blue squares posted:

Can I get some help? I'm finding it very difficult to just pick a ruler and get started.

I want to play as a not-very-powerful house that uses diplomacy and intrigue to grow. So far, based on the tutorial, I don't find the military part of the game very interesting.

What is a good character to select that meets that criteria? I know a lot of people say to start in Ireland, but it doesn't seem as fertile a ground for such scheming, at least based on my look at the available characters there. Am I wrong in that assessment?

I'd recommend the count of Torraine, he's the younger brother of the count of Anjou and starts with pretty good intrigue stats and traits. The brother in question at start has no children and is excommunicated, so scheming to murder him is very much viable to get a good dose of your first intrigue. Then from there just keep on using your ability to fabricate hooks (and demand money for them by grabibng the first perk of the Avarice tree) on people, a good idea is to fabricate a hook on the king of France to force him to make you spymaster as that gives boosts both scheme power, dread and intrigue experience.

There is a possibility that you might have to fight off Champagne early on as they've got a claim on your county, but fighting them off is possible if you ally your landed relatives at start and find marry for a decent alliance to start with.

Seriously though its a lot of fun to play as and I'd recommend basically staying a vassal and building yourself up from within, perhaps go the historical Anjou route and maneuver yourself onto the throne of England is a suggestion for when you're ready to take it to the next level.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Because I'm an idiot who sometimes forgets to check the culture of my heir's guardian, my Irish king ended up with a French heir. But this means my kingdom has access to the French innovations, which different from the Irish. Meaning I have heraldy when I didn't just before my ruler died, meaning I can change from confederate to regular partition (theoretically anyway, leaving aside me lacking the requisite prestige and vassal popularity having just inherited).

The downside is while this ruler is in power I can no longer set Irish cultural fascinations, and who knows what is happening with even the slowly developing ones. But I wonder if this could theoretically used/exploited to as a short cut to new succession laws (maybe even single-heir ones much earlier, depending on where other cultures may be with their innovation progression), before getting my ruler killed in a suicide war and replaced by someone with Irish culture again, or if that would undo the law change.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Ran into a light severity bug when attempting to make a witch coven, at the very first step - despite my faith accepting witchcraft, I was being given the witch secret instead of the trait.

Turns out, there's a coding error in the 'subroutine' trigger the game uses to evaluate whether a given act/trait is criminal within a faith or not - if adultery is illegal (for a given gender), then all possibly-illegal traits will be treated as illegal for that gender as well.

Had a hard time tracking it down, but it was actually a simple three-line fix. Reported it without acknowledgment; we'll see if it gets corrected in the next patch.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ms Adequate posted:

No you're correct, that kind of play is possibly better suited to existing kingdoms where you can be some random duke and be Littlefinger. Ireland's situation means war is inevitable, even if you don't start one the vikings or Scots or someone are going to come calling. Your best bets for that are probably going to be finding someone with appropriate traits in either Byzantium, the Seljuks, or the HRE.

A duke is probably the lowest rank you want to be if you wanna go intrigue heavy for a game. Starting as an Independent Count you honestly have to go somewhat hard militarily at the start because you are the little fish that everyone wants to take out and absorb into their kingdoms. Not just that but when you expand you need to expand into the right areas and make enough gold that you can form a duchy or just constantly eat a too many domains penalty because you can't have any vassals (they just break off into independent counties).

A count inside a large kingdom of empire is probably fine for an intrigue game though because you can't be targetted by anyone other than fellow vassals of your liege.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

That's why you don't start in a spooky forest

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

GOTY

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks everyone for the intrigue start suggestions! I took notes and I will start a new game with one and just stick with it no matter what happens

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So I have a couple rear end in a top hat vassals that tried to start a faction to put someone else on the thrown. They're hanging out in prison right now, but I want their land.

I started in 867 so I might not have the cultural advances yet. At the very least I can't revoke their titles directly. I don't have the tech for Low Crown Authority yet. Are there any schemes or other ways I can go about this?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously how the hell do you get money as a feudal ruler? Hurry up and wait? Abduct the Roman Emperor over and over?

Granted my men at arms from the tribal days now cost me about a third of my income...

Like a third or more of my income as a catholic kingdom comes from churches. I don't know how tribal converts are supposed to get the money to build those though unless you've saved up a fortune prior to adopting feudalism.

edit: As England, 33% of my income is from my church holdings, 44% is from my personal domain, and the other 23% is from my other vassals. Roughly the same for levies. When I was smaller and had fewer vassals, the church income made up an even larger percentage of my income and levies. Without your court bishop on your side, your power and income drops dramatically. They seem like the linchpin of any successful feudal realm, which makes adopting feudalism even harder since you don't have any of that poo poo. I feel like the only way you can adopt feudalism successfully is by banking thousands of gold before doing so and blowing it all by building churches and farms and poo poo immediately. Definitely build churches before cities in your counties.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 9, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I started the Sorority Thunderdome opening and then over the next 15 years had seven sons and no daughters. :negative:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Also is there ever a point where going into war doesn't cause five other wars and ruinous debt? Should you just stay small and not independent while converting to feudal?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
EU4 style increase your military might on paper by having allies. It doesn't matter if those 5000 levies are somewhere in Central Asia, they will scare off equal tier opponents you might have.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

So it will ALWAYS throw you into negative gold just to raise levies, that's part of the balance if not tribal?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

Also is there ever a point where going into war doesn't cause five other wars and ruinous debt? Should you just stay small and not independent while converting to feudal?

Mister Olympus posted:

So it will ALWAYS throw you into negative gold just to raise levies, that's part of the balance if not tribal?

It will definitely always cost you a lot of gold. You shouldn't have too much of a problem raising your economy to the point where it doesn't throw you too deep into negative income though. Even at the start of the campaign, with a well-managed realm you should be able to declare war without going into debt, unless you've picked an especially difficult start. Build more economy buildings and save up some money before declaring war.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
No, Levies have a fixed base upkeep of 1000 levies/1 gold/month. So if you have 5500 levies (and no men at arms) it would cost 5.5 gold/month upkeep if they're raised.

It's pretty trivial to have 6+ gold a month from a single duchy level title if it's even a little bit upgraded as feudal.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, there's a reason why your military screen includes a calculation of how long your current gold reserves can maintain a full raise of your troops. It's always going to be expensive but there are ways to keep it from ruining you.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Figured out how to console my dude to not be a fat gently caress:

You can find the guide to how to enable the console here:

https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Console_commands

Once you are in console mode type : debug_mode

Now mouse over your char and you will see your Target Weight - it's probably 70 or something stupid like that.

Next go to: C:\Users<USER>>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\

Create a folder called Run

In the run folder create a file called fat.txt - or whatever

Your fat.txt file should contain the following:

change_target_weight = -70
remove_character_modifier = obese_modifier
Replace -70 with whatever your target weight is - you want it to be 0. If you go too far negative you'll get malnourished.

in the console type:

run fat.txt

Tada - You are no longer obese and your target weight is 0.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Get the perk that lets you demand money for hooks. Get it early and you will cash the gently caress in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Watching the AI beeline to my capital capturing it to win a war they were going to lose is something.

That something a player would do so it’s funny

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Watching the AI beeline to my capital capturing it to win a war they were going to lose is something.

That something a player would do so it’s funny

Makes sense though, if they capture you the war is over

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Tribals are incredibly strong because you have a prestige dump in the form of Mens at Arm

Most Feudal starts have a lot of cities which make them have very high gold per month compared to Tribals but they have to spend Gold on levies and Mens at Armses

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

eleven extra elephants posted:

Makes sense though, if they capture you the war is over

It does make sense but it’s also abusing game mechanics

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

CharlestheHammer posted:

Doesn't sound like abuse to me. Defend yourself or get punked.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

There’s precedent for it though. Nations that leave their homeland undefended are susceptible to armies invading

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Strobe posted:

Doesn't sound like abuse to me. Defend yourself or get punked.

Not really, you would flee pretty easily if it was realistic.

Also the emir of silica converted to Catholicism mid war so that guy was trying everything

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

blue squares posted:

There’s precedent for it though. Nations that leave their homeland undefended are susceptible to armies invading

Nope I’m war losing a siege in your homeland doesn’t really matter if your winning. It’s more a result of warscore being all or nothing when your small

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Losing your capital to an occupying army doesn’t matter ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eej posted:

Tribals are incredibly strong because you have a prestige dump in the form of Mens at Arm

Yea now that I'm feudal I have 18k prestige banked. Things to spend it on include: