Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, but they installed it in Dutch, presumably since that's the language of my OS.

Thanks! I just submitted these instead. If this doesn't get accepted they're just trolling me.

I can't imagine they'll deny those. Flemish Belgium right? There are a whole bunch of regional flags with slight variations on that lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yup, Flanders. They have loving Abkhazia, so they can add the Flemish Region too

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Here is how you change the language:

You could use a gradient, set mostly transparent, to add the shading if you decide you want to.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 21, 2020

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I dont know if this is the right place to ask but I desperately want a pressure pot for doing resin dice and other small stuff bubble-free. I've found a lot of confusing stuff online and an overwhelming amount of information in general so I was hoping someone with some experience could help me out? Was hoping for one that came resin-ready and didn't need to be converted from a paint pot because im terrified of fiddling with it and blowing it up in my face since I dont really know jack or poo poo about the mechanics of the thing.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The Tools Thread might have more opinions.

My personal experience with a pressure pot is pending (but soon!) and will involve a... modified HF pot. Pray for Mojo.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Trabant posted:

The Tools Thread might have more opinions.

My personal experience with a pressure pot is pending (but soon!) and will involve a... modified HF pot. Pray for Mojo.

Thankyou, i shall now disappear back into the bog from which I came

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
1) Is there a Finer Arts/Creative Convention Discord?

2) Anyone doing lampwork bead making? I have a class on it next week and I am super stoked.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

melon cat posted:

What's this digital art style called?

Looks like some type of comic-book inspired look. I want to learn more about it and how I can start learning it.

Learning how to draw is the most important thing but you can you can achieve this look (to some extent) in Photoshop with the Posterize adjustment layer.

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 27, 2020

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Why has FXX been showing the same handful of Family Guy episodes over and over and over? They all seem to be from seasons 16 & 17. Is that all they have the rights to? They’re not even running all the episodes from those seasons, just maybe 15 or 20, total. Again and again for at least the past couple of months.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wrong thread? I think this forum has a subforum for tv watching goons that might know more about that stuff.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Yeah sorry wrong Stupid Questions thread

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Is there a 3D printing thread somewhere? Not sure if it would be here or in inspector gadgets. I did browse a bit and didn’t see one.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Doctor Zero posted:

Is there a 3D printing thread somewhere? Not sure if it would be here or in inspector gadgets. I did browse a bit and didn’t see one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365193

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bingo! Thanks! :wotwot:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey gang! As a hobby I do a thing that requires lots of people to send me clips of them saying things. There needs to be a certain threshold of quality, and some of these clips fall below it, but I don't know enough about audio engineering or whatever to understand what exactly is wrong with the sound clip. Basically, it sounds kind of muffled, in a way that I remember recording from my old lovely mic that came with our Pentium 133 computer back in the day, but dude says his mic is fine. There's no real reverb, so I don't think it's the acoustics in the room. It just... it's a perfect clip, but sounds like his hand is over his mouth. I've heard other clips by him and they sound fine; he says he's using the same mic to record this as he did the others.

I know this would probably be more helpful with the sound clip in question, but I don't have access to it right now. But it's not the first time this has come up. When I try and search for this information online, I get very lost. Most of the resources that address this by recommending better equipment, but I don't think the equipment is the problem. It's a real pain in the rear end, searching for sound-related problems because Google either assumes I'm a voice actor wanting to know how to get an agent or I'm a musician wanting to get a better sound from my drum set.

What else might cause the sound clips to sound muffled?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

credburn posted:

Hey gang! As a hobby I do a thing that requires lots of people to send me clips of them saying things. There needs to be a certain threshold of quality, and some of these clips fall below it, but I don't know enough about audio engineering or whatever to understand what exactly is wrong with the sound clip. Basically, it sounds kind of muffled, in a way that I remember recording from my old lovely mic that came with our Pentium 133 computer back in the day, but dude says his mic is fine. There's no real reverb, so I don't think it's the acoustics in the room. It just... it's a perfect clip, but sounds like his hand is over his mouth. I've heard other clips by him and they sound fine; he says he's using the same mic to record this as he did the others.

I know this would probably be more helpful with the sound clip in question, but I don't have access to it right now. But it's not the first time this has come up. When I try and search for this information online, I get very lost. Most of the resources that address this by recommending better equipment, but I don't think the equipment is the problem. It's a real pain in the rear end, searching for sound-related problems because Google either assumes I'm a voice actor wanting to know how to get an agent or I'm a musician wanting to get a better sound from my drum set.

What else might cause the sound clips to sound muffled?

If he's recording with the same equipment, the software stuff that can gently caress with it includes compression/artifacting from moving the file between different formats a bunch, or recording at a low hz. The other one is an inexperienced sound tech or guy recording himself where he's applying some filter without realizing it - make sure he doesn't have RTX Voice enabled for example.

My guess is that your guy is just not recording properly or however you're getting the files they're getting heavily compressed. When I do voice recordings I use audacity at 44100hz, saving as an .mp3 or .wav and it works great. I'd recommend you make sure he's doing that. Let me know if you need any voice work done!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Well, I hadn't come here to recruit folks, but actually I sure do need some voice work done. I've adapted an old Dungeons and Dragons computer game into a radio play, and there are 200 characters spread over twelve ~1 hour episodes. If you're interested in lending your voice for little more than a credit and a thank-you, e-mail me and we can talk further! calvinredburn@gmail.com

I haven't figured out what is wrong with the sound file, but it is a .wav and apparently the bitrate is 705, and I have no idea what that means except that I remember the ol' Napster standard of 128kbps (or 192 if you had a SMOKIN FAST MODEM and could download that extra megabyte of sound). It doesn't sound "compressed," you know. It's bizarre, it's like he has a cloth over the mic. Anyway, that's not especially helpful right now; I mostly wanted to respond to your inquiry, but I didn't want to veer too off-topic. I'll discuss with my actorbuddy what kind of hertz he's got and if he does, in fact, have a towel over his mic (rookie mistake)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I promised to edit a 30-minute video down to a 3-minute music video. I've figured out the technical end of it, but I don't know if I'm supposed to storyboard it or how to pick what gets kept and what gets ditched. Are there any easy guides for making this particular kind of music video?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

simplest version of the answer is: figure out what's in the 30 minute video that you don't want in the 3 minute video and get rid of that.

long answer needs more information: what footage do you have and what are you trying to turn it into? is the 30 minute video a single continuous shot? is it a bunch of shots already cut together? if it's a music video, then do you already have the 3 minutes of audio selected? is the video synced to the music as in a live performance, or is it imagery that's not dependent on timing? a lot of your approach is going to depend on the limitations of the material you have.

if it's already filmed, you probably don't need storyboards, though. those are more for previzualizing the edit so that you know what you need to shoot. beyond that, we need a better idea of what you're working with and toward.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

analyze the music it'll be accompanied with, well i mean most songs will have the same sort of story structure of introduction build up, climax, falling action, conclusion. chart out and label whatever clips you have within the 30 minutes into those categories and wring out some creative juice

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

I promised to edit a 30-minute video down to a 3-minute music video. I've figured out the technical end of it, but I don't know if I'm supposed to storyboard it or how to pick what gets kept and what gets ditched. Are there any easy guides for making this particular kind of music video?

I'm not sure what you have for source video material but assuming it's an unedited lump of a band playing, here's how I would start:

• Identify your different video clips, assuming you have 30 min of footage from multiple locations, angles, etc. If you have one 30min clip where someone walked around with the camera, cut that into different clips so you have 3-6 different clips (closeups on different musicians, b-roll type poo poo, etc)
  • Cut all the useless material out of the different clips (maybe bloopers, getting the camera set up, walking between musicians, etc)
  • Lay the audio track into your video editing software and put your 3-6 video clips into the track so they're stacked and all starting at 00:00:00, and delete the audio tracks from the video clips
  • Identify the 4 or 5 high energy moments you have in the audio and the video that you think should line up (guitar solos, fast paced movement, etc) and clip them out and line them up with the right spots on the audio track. Leave the video clips that you grab on the original horizontal row that they originally occupied
  • Work through the rest of the material, deciding which sections of video are good matches with the audio as it relates to build up, sustain, climax, etc, and grab sections of video that work well and arrange them as you need to over the audio track, trying to have a new video cut every 3 seconds or so
  • edit your transitions if you need them - try not to over-do it with the video transitions. Crossfades make sense in slow sections and hard cuts make sense when the music is faster. If only one instrument is playing you're probably okay with a crossfade, otherwise try to bounce around and show different things from different clips.
  • curse yourself for promising to do this for free

If you don't have any video editing software familiarity you're going to be spending a lot of time just learning the basics. Davinci Resolve is free and very good.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm trying to put together my first business card for mainly VJing, but I guess general special events. I just came up with an idea, but I'm not sure where this takes me with regard to copyright and trademark infringement.
My name is Sol (pronounced Saul), so I figured some cool graphics on the front with " 's All Good Man Productions" and then the rear would be a sendup of Saul Goodman's card (clearly stating somewhere that I am not a lawyer) with the text "Better Call Sol" and my contact info.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CaptainViolence posted:

if it's already filmed, you probably don't need storyboards, though. those are more for previzualizing the edit so that you know what you need to shoot. beyond that, we need a better idea of what you're working with and toward.

The video source material is a 1970's Dutch documentary about kids not having anywhere to play. There are scenes of the community, of the kids trying to get petitions signed, of kids playing in trash-filled lots, kids stomping on a wrecked car, adults getting into fights, classroom scenes, and scenes of adults at meetings.

The audio source material is a style-parody of an 80s pop song. The lead singer is really excited to hear a baseball game on Dutch radio.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
anyone have any opinions on flatbed scanners? i'm looking at the epson V39 or V600. my alma mater used Epson V37s (V39 is the updated version) in their labs, which i loved, but i'm wondering if i should splurge on the V600. i'd mostly scan illustrations for zine making and digitizing hand lettered stuff. usually i'd just pop over to the library to scan things, but saving $100-250 isn't worth risking coronavirus imo. plus i have a huge backlog of things to scan now. i have a 2015 macbook pro if that makes a difference.

i think i'm just gonna go ahead and get the V39 since it's like 3" shorter than the V600, and honestly space might be a larger determining factor in my life right now.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

RandomPauI posted:

The video source material is a 1970's Dutch documentary about kids not having anywhere to play. There are scenes of the community, of the kids trying to get petitions signed, of kids playing in trash-filled lots, kids stomping on a wrecked car, adults getting into fights, classroom scenes, and scenes of adults at meetings.

The audio source material is a style-parody of an 80s pop song. The lead singer is really excited to hear a baseball game on Dutch radio.

in that case, i think my approach would be to split up and organize the documentary based on shots and content, and while doing so trying to think of a way to tell that baseball story with the images you have. the documentary has a story of its own already, so you can figure out the major beats of that story, and how you can map those to your story. you might even be able to go through chronologically—is there a particular kid that keeps showing up in the video that you could turn into your main character? maybe keep all the stuff of that kid, and set aside any scenes without them (knowing that you might go back and fill stuff in using some of those shots).

try picking three or four spots in your song where you want a story beat to land and placing stuff in there—even as simple as "kid sad about lot, kid thinking at school, kid getting petition, now lot is good and kids are happy." jump to halfway between those spots and put in something that gets you from A to B, then go halfway between each of those and so on until you have the whole thing roughed out. from there you can go in and do a fine cut where you really match it up to the music.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from Creative Chat thread, because I accidentally thought that was the Stupid Little Questions thread:

I'm trying to get motivated again and start up a website for my art. Portfolio and Shop, basically.

I would like the site to have a nice gallery view, which I can upload new pieces easily. Viewers could then click a piece for close-up, read some info about it, and a link to order a print.

I don't really need a blog, but I guess that's okay if it has that feature.

For examples of what I'd like to have: something like Scott C.'s website , Maja Wronska's site , and Jenny Kroik's site. I would just like a link for "Purchase" under the pictures, or something.

What website client is going to be simple, affordable and allow me the layout I like without too much hassle?

Thanks in advance to any advice.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Spanish Inquisition posted:

anyone have any opinions on flatbed scanners? i'm looking at the epson V39 or V600. my alma mater used Epson V37s (V39 is the updated version) in their labs, which i loved, but i'm wondering if i should splurge on the V600. i'd mostly scan illustrations for zine making and digitizing hand lettered stuff. usually i'd just pop over to the library to scan things, but saving $100-250 isn't worth risking coronavirus imo. plus i have a huge backlog of things to scan now. i have a 2015 macbook pro if that makes a difference.

i think i'm just gonna go ahead and get the V39 since it's like 3" shorter than the V600, and honestly space might be a larger determining factor in my life right now.

I had a V600 and it was great. I eventually sold it because I mainly used it to scan negatives and I stopped shooting on film, but it was a hell of a workhorse or as cheap as it was.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Franchescanado posted:

What website client is going to be simple, affordable and allow me the layout I like without too much hassle?

According to every creative YouTuber's sponsorship deals, it's Squarespace.

(My wife, who's not a YouTuber, also likes it and set up her writing portfolio and some clients' sites, so it's not all fluff. She can't speak to the e-commerce part of it though)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Trabant posted:

According to every creative YouTuber's sponsorship deals, it's Squarespace.

(My wife, who's not a YouTuber, also likes it and set up her writing portfolio and some clients' sites, so it's not all fluff. She can't speak to the e-commerce part of it though)

As someone who builds websites for a living, this is the right answer (assuming you don't want to spend a fortune).

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Bristol is expensive. What’s the best bang for my buck getting some good paper to ink on with Micron pens? There are a lot of cheap reams of cardstock on amazon but they all have very mixed reviews. Ideally I want to use Bristol but 10-20 bucks for 15 pages is a little out of my price range. Any cheap comic artists with some advice?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

As others mentioned Squarespace is big, also look at Shopify. Squarespace is more if you want to build a website that also can sell stuff, Shopify is more for building a store that also has a website, if that makes sense. Both will probably be sufficient so just play with each for a bit and see what you like.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Unmature posted:

Bristol is expensive. What’s the best bang for my buck getting some good paper to ink on with Micron pens? There are a lot of cheap reams of cardstock on amazon but they all have very mixed reviews. Ideally I want to use Bristol but 10-20 bucks for 15 pages is a little out of my price range. Any cheap comic artists with some advice?

Might give marker paper a try, something like this. It’s much lighter weight than bristol but as long as you’re doing linework and not heavy washes, it should do.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Might give marker paper a try, something like this. It’s much lighter weight than bristol but as long as you’re doing linework and not heavy washes, it should do.

Oooh thank you I’ll take a look

EDIT: Followup, this scanner is very much in my budget. Any reason I shouldn’t get it for simple ink lineart scanning? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G5XZVLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NYxwFbY0CBMGX
I know the bed isn’t that big, I’m fine with piecing it together in photoshop

Unmature fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 10, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Thank you Trabant, kedo and Trapick. I made my artist's site with SquareSpace and it's been pretty good, with a forgiving learning curve. I appreciate it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i bought a print from an artgoon probably... heck it's gotta be maybe 8-10 years ago now and I'm trying to track down who it was / whether they kept doing art.

it was in a lovely cheap frame on the brick wall in my apt in NYC, and we finally got it professionally framed for the house we moved into cuz it's just that sick

e: found it, artist's real name is Christian Verdun

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 10, 2020

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Any good sites for funky/off-beat/pop culture-y/sci-fi-y type prints from independent artists? Besides the obvious Etsy or Redbubble stuff.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

unlimited shrimp posted:

Any good sites for funky/off-beat/pop culture-y/sci-fi-y type prints from independent artists? Besides the obvious Etsy or Redbubble stuff.

Sorry it's not what you're asking for but I saw your name and av and I'm going to go take a photo of the oil painting of my (amano) shrimp that my brother did for me. Standby!

e:

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 10, 2020

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
sick of being doxed tbph

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Anyone have experience using spray archival varnishes on watercolor/gouache paintings? I live in Nola/southeastern Louisiana, so I'm surrounded by water and live in a humid environment. I'm worried about the long-term effects of this environment on my artwork and think a varnish may help protect it somewhat from the humidity. I plan on using a matte spray to maintain the matte look of gouache. I'm worried about tonal shifts from the spray however amd wondering if any of y'all have any experience with spray varnishes on paintings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

crossposting from the Wacom thread.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Help!

I'm a hobbyist and would like to budget about $100 for a tablet (used on local classifieds, most likely, but not against new) and software. I want the ability to digitize my pen and ink sketches into high-resolution image files for getting stuff like stickers, t-shirts, stencils, and prints made. Sometimes I like to trace stuff out of my photography, and I've been drawing bold tattoo flash style stuff lately.

My graphic artist niece let me use her Wacom Intuos paired with Illustrator, and she and I both think a similar medium-sized tablet paired with Photoshop would be ample for my needs. I will most likely do all this on a Dell laptop and an iMac desktop. I've read a bunch of this thread and think a used Wacom Intuos would be fine, but if I'm buying new I'm leaning toward a Huion.

Please correct me, verify my ideas, or nudge me in better directions. I learn software pretty quickly, but moving to digital art is an entirely new thing for me and I only have these kind of vague ideas about how to jump in.