Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It doesn't matter if it's reflective of the world back then, because it's media produced in and for 2020. If your protagonist is a homophobe and does not face immediate repercussion for their homophobia, then you've produced homophobic media.

lol. there are actually people like this in the world jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mean Bean Machine posted:

lol. there are actually people like this in the world jesus

And I vote

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

AtraMorS posted:

I'm rewatching and just got to that scene, and he tosses the sissy line off like he's barely interested in what dude is saying. There's some performative masculinity there, but it's hardly enough to assume it's what Tic really thinks.

I'll do you one better: as a queer guy, I've been picking up on weird blips that Tic might be queer, so I actually read "... ... ... ...I'm not a sissy!" as Tic being extra huffy because he's not straight.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

mary had a little clam posted:

I'll do you one better: as a queer guy, I've been picking up on weird blips that Tic might be queer, so I actually read "... ... ... ...I'm not a sissy!" as Tic being extra huffy because he's not straight.
I could see it too. Either as deflecting suspicion by play-acting a little homophobia or as repressing his feelings. I'd probably lean towards the former if I had to pick though.

He still seems super into Leti though, so I'd guess bi if he's anything other than straight. It'd fit with all the other binary-challenging stuff this episode. A lot of characters seem to be saying Montrose is gay, but he sounds like he really did love Tic's mom, too. The white she-devil showed us they were a white they-devil. Ruby has a drat breakdown not because she's black, but because she's not a more socially preferred shade of black. The indigenous intersex person (forgot the name). The creation story about Adam and Eve...and monsters.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

What's interesting about that interaction is that Tic denies it for himself but doesn't deny it about his father.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I only watch TV where the protagonist is completely moral and only does good things.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I've just realized why the Aryan Wizard was familiar... he's Ubbe Lothbrok from Vikings :v:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe I missed something, but why why did they keep talking about tripping up to Boston if they were going to a museum in Chicago?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe I missed something, but why why did they keep talking about tripping up to Boston if they were going to a museum in Chicago?

The museum is in Boston. There’s some weird magic going on with the Chicago house so the elevator ends up below a Boston museum.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

anothergod posted:

I only watch TV where the protagonist is completely moral and only does good things.

This gives me great joy

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

a foolish pianist posted:

The museum is in Boston. There’s some weird magic going on with the Chicago house so the elevator ends up below a Boston museum.

Yeah Tic's aunt and niece even ask themselves "how did they got back without woody" (the car).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I think I was just thrown off by the quick scene jump and Tree still being there even though he said he qas going to Philly.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I think I was just thrown off by the quick scene jump and Tree still being there even though he said he qas going to Philly.

Speaking of that guy: They made a pretty big deal about Leti being a virgin when she and Tic had sex in episode 3, then in episode 4 just casually dropped in the scene where Tree brags about his dick and then Leti tells him to shut up because they hosed in high school.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Multiple writers and/or women lying to protect their virtue.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

She was being sarcastic. This is like when goons thought Rocket Raccoon’s wife and daughter were dead.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

a foolish pianist posted:

Speaking of that guy: They made a pretty big deal about Leti being a virgin when she and Tic had sex in episode 3, then in episode 4 just casually dropped in the scene where Tree brags about his dick and then Leti tells him to shut up because they hosed in high school.

I took that at him boasting around town that he had hosed all the girls in high school, where as in fact he had hosed no one. He looked pretty chastised.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

I took that at him boasting around town that he had hosed all the girls in high school, where as in fact he had hosed no one. He looked pretty chastised.

Exactly, I think Tree was boasting to Tic that he had slept with Leti in high school during EP3. I guess:
A) it wasn't true,
B) Tic told Leti / Leti was already aware of the braggings and
C) Leti is letting Tree know that he is going around bragging about something that has not happened.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That Italian Guy posted:

Exactly, I think Tree was boasting to Tic that he had slept with Leti in high school during EP3. I guess:
A) it wasn't true,
B) Tic told Leti / Leti was already aware of the braggings and
C) Leti is letting Tree know that he is going around bragging about something that has not happened.

Oh, I'd forgotten about that. With that, it makes sense that she'd be chastising him for lying about sleeping with her.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I know that it's entirely possible Leti is supposed to have been a virgin until the bathroom scene and Tree is just lying, but I hope that's not the case. Let is clearly representative of race AND sex so Leti being in control of her sexual identity (even if it's a lie) is way more interesting than, uh, being so into the muscled hero that she gives up her lifetime of celibacy for 10 pumps in a bathroom.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Given the lines immediately after the sex the implication she was she was a virgin. I dont see how it lessons her as a character. There was chemistry between the two all through the series so far and theyd been friends since they were kids. It wasn't like she just jumped on the first dick she shared a traumatic experience with.

I can see where you can be thrown off by the age of the actors but the characters are supposed to be 20s.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 9, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

anothergod posted:

she gives up her lifetime of celibacy for 10 pumps in a bathroom.

Yeah if that was supposed to be an accurate portrayal of first time sex, where was the candles & rose petals?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

anothergod posted:

Yeah, uh, this loving rules. It's a fun roller coaster. It's light and character driven, and characters are really great. Criticizing the stupid things is stupid, and I'm imagining the people doing that are neckbeard losers that don't like fun.

Thanks for this. I love that I can approach this show w/ very little deep knowledge of HPL stuff, so this poo poo is pretty cool for peering below the surface.

This all the way.

I’m only half caught up with this thread and I’ve been thinking this as I read. Tic is awesome and so relatable, a sci-fi loving nerd who joined the army to escape the “real” monsters life has surrounded him with, only to find there are worse things than these people and their truly petty reasons for otherizing him, when in fact he has this vital link to their world. All the insanity of Lovecraft just being flipped to its inverse, the true “others” being the monsters who sustain this system of terror, with the children of Shub being simple pets of the key turning masters of this terrible world.

As a Mason, it was great to hear them talk about how Prince Hall created his branch of Freemasonry by pointing out that he too was just as Scottish as many of the men who denied him entrance, creating a separate but equal branch in a time before abolition. I’ve had moments where I felt a morsel of that, standing before a lodge full of men who would otherwise consider themselves the betters, being reminded that sometimes they have to actually abide by the same rules as little old me. Call me Mary Sue, but I’d like to believe the people who made the rules foresaw their tyranny as being older than humanity, with equality, checks and balances being the true key to a sublime brotherhood. An example that comes to mind is how Charles Darwin saw that the true strength of evolution was diversity, while so many of the learned elites just saw another way to elevate themselves as “more evolved” then the “imbeciles” and “lesser races”, only to find themselves trapped in a terrifying dead end.

As a lover of old occult, Whitey on the moon sounded so much better than whatever dumb sounding, baby talk reminiscent language the ceremony leader was jabbering in.

“You wanna go back to the garden motherfucker??? You don’t even know what it is!”

Honestly that poem stuck in my head ever since, it’s so drat contemporary it could have been written yesterday! “Tell me again about the stock market dummy, my aunt and two neighbors just died of covid!”

I could just keep going!

Lettie is so much hotter than she was in birds of prey. Hair and makeup, costume, the character, I’m not sure what it is, she really shines here. Isn’t she Jussie Smollett’s sister? Lol I keep hearing Dave Chappell going “MAGA HATS” whenever I see the resemblance.

I was howling for more True Blood shlock by the end of episode four! Lmfao
Throw out more of that 3 mystery’s solved per episode roller coaster pace, I’d rather watch this than another season of Space Force on Netflix.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The costumes really are great in this. Watching this I constantly find myself pointing out "that is a really good looking shirt".

Also I thought Leti being a virgin was pretty straightforward. Tree brags to Tic at the party that he hosed her in school, Tic finds out she was a virgin, and Leti puts Tree on blast that he's telling lies about them. Tree then gets pissy and takes it out on Tic and calls him a sissy because his ego got bruised when he got caught lying.

Leti being a virgin doesn't lessen her control over her sexuality, if anything it works well with it. She's got men crawling all over her but chooses not to have sex because she doesn't want to. She could easily sleep her way into a more comfortable life but it keeps with her character being independent, confrontational and maybe a little stubborn.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Michael Harriot with a great article on some of the historical references in Lovecraft Country - https://www.theroot.com/where-white-people-are-scarier-than-monsters-the-hidde-1845000536

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I'm not a woman so I can't chime in on female power in 2020 through this lens of pulp horror, but virginity being an indicator of female value through the male gaze may in fact be a horror older than all of the old gods combined.

So

Here's hoping I'm right

Edit: as of e5 it is clear that I'm wrong.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 14, 2020

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I just saw the names of the coming episodes

Time traveling back to Tulsa basically confirmed. Following up on watchmen's episode is gonna be tough.

Can anyone remind me of the "sissy" comment that was discussed? I don't remember it on episode 4.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nemo posted:

I just saw the names of the coming episodes

Time traveling back to Tulsa basically confirmed. Following up on watchmen's episode is gonna be tough.

Can anyone remind me of the "sissy" comment that was discussed? I don't remember it on episode 4.

Tree 'apologizes' to Tic for sending him to the back of the club in episode 1 when he knew the owner was there getting a blowjob, then says something like "I thought you might appreciate it" to which Tic distractedly says "I ain't no sissy"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Tree 'apologizes' to Tic for sending him to the back of the club in episode 1 when he knew the owner was there getting a blowjob, then says something like "I thought you might appreciate it" to which Tic distractedly says "I ain't no sissy"

To add to that, the whole scene seems like a way for Tree to punch down on Tic by revealing to him that Montrose is gay. It sounds very much like "Oh I thought you may enjoy that, just like your dad? Oh you didn't know? Oh my!" So that Tic's response seems to be more painted with shades of surprise/anger towards his dad keeping this secret from him all this time, than something hateful for real - especially cause his first answer when Tree mentions what's happened without pulling Montrose in is "I don't mind/care".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's also a very rote toxic masculinity response to the situation. "What two men do in their own home is none of my business, but I will cut you if imply I'm in any way like them." It fits with what we know of Tic, dorky ignored kid in school, ran away to join the army, got buff on the outside but is still insecure and will react over aggresively to any implication that he's 'weak'.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Holy poo poo what a episode.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Show continues to be awesome. Show continues to defy expectations in a good way.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
That episode has a lot to unpack, but tonight I learned that ballroom events/culture is much older than I thought, by almost a century. Like, Langston Hughes went to one in the 20s, and they weren't even new then.

Show loving rules.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

What the gently caress was going on with the cops skin?

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

What the gently caress was going on with the cops skin?
I...think he's grafting black skin onto himself? A cop's fear of a black body becomes jealousy of/desire for that body, maybe?

This episode was loving rife with that kind of fetishistic Get-Out hosed-upped-ness.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
I'm thinking it will end up being some sort of bullet-proof black person skingraft for protection or something to that effect. Definitely some get out vibes there.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Hey remember last week when this show was dismissed as homophobic?

Also, could someone explain the last bit with Tic and the translation for me?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

This episode felt very messy and was my least favorite so far?

Re: chat in this thread — the soundtrack stuff was finally grating for me. Using Bad Religion for a sex scene felt too on the nose! Frank Ocean is great, and so is that track, but the usage here was too obvious to the point of being worth an eye roll.

Moses Sumney later on made up for it tho

also stop trying to make normative statements about media GoGoGadgetChris it’s so boring and toothless

wolfs fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 14, 2020

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

AtraMorS posted:

I...think he's grafting black skin onto himself? A cop's fear of a black body becomes jealousy of/desire for that body, maybe?

This episode was loving rife with that kind of fetishistic Get-Out hosed-upped-ness.

Yea, that’s kind of what I thought was happening, but it wasn’t very clear. Lots of body transformations this episode. It just clicked with me how the cross dressing ballroom scene ties into it all. I’m not very quick.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
There isn't much stuff that creeps me out as far as horror themed stuff goes but the effect of the "skin" falling off along with it making it seem like they're trapped inside of it when the potion wears off legitmately unsettled the poo poo out of me, it's so goddamn creepy. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
I may be slow on the uptake but I saw on IMDB that the actress who plays Hillary, Ruby's white persona, is the same actress that played the hound keeper in episode 2. Nice that Christina recycles dead help like that.